Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Unkept Promise ❯ Sakura ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

As the sun rose over the dojo, the scent of morning breakfast filled Kenji's nose.

"Mother?" Kenji said tiredly as he walked out to the yard. He could see someone making bread in a rock furnace...and it wasn't Kaoru.

Kenshin turned his head from the bread and smiled at his son.

"Why, good morning Kenji! Hope you're in the mood for some sweet bread,"

Kenji was awestruck.

"Faaattherrr!" Kenji screamed as he ran to his dad. Kenshin caught his son in a warm embrace. Kenji began to cry soft tears.

"I missed you so much!" he cried.

"But look how much you have grown...have you taken good care of your mother in my place?"

"Uh-hu! I've worked hard! Yahiko said he would train me when I'm all growed up!"

"I see...," Kenshin said with a cocked eyebrow.
"Promise you don't leave us again!" Kenji demanded. Kenshin stared. "Promise!!"

"I promise. I promise never to leave," Kenshin smiled. He looked behind his son and saw Kaoru walk out on the porch. Her hair...it was all tied up. She wasn't wearing a bow anymore?

"Kenji, come in and dress! When you're done you can have some bread," she smiled. Kenji obeyed and gave his father one last hug before literally running inside.

Kaoru sat on her knees.

"It's the Sakura festival today. Why don't we go?" she asked her husband. Kenshin pulled the bread out and set it on a wooden board to cool.

"Lets! It's a beautiful day today that it is. We should enjoy it," Kenshin said as he stared off at his wife. "I like your hair up like that, that I do," he said bashfully.

"Yes, it getting hotter here and its nice off my neck," she giggled.

"I'm so happy your finally home my love...,"

"I am too Kaoru...,"

...............................

Kenji ran ahead of his parents in aw of the festival. People dressed in colorful kimonos and music played. The scent of sweets and other food filled the air.
He played a game were he dipped a net into a tank full of goldfish, and caught three without breaking the net!

"Mother! Father! Look!" he showed them his prize. Kenshin bent over and looked at the fish in the bag.

"They're pretty!" Kaoru said as she did the same. Kenji beamed, but herd the sound of frustration.

A young girl around Kenji's age looked through the broken net. She lost a fish. Her mother took her hand and began to lead her away. The girl had a sad face.

Kenji looked at his parents, then ran to the little girl.

"Excuse me!" Kenji said to the little girl; she looked at him. "Uhh h- here! Y-y-you can have them!" Kenji blushed. The little girl smiled and giggled.

"Thank you!" she said. "My name is Tsukasa Chihiro,"

"I-I am Himura Kenji," Kenji said. Chihiro giggled. "You wanna play with me?" Kenji asked.

"Sure!" Chihiro answered. Her mother nodded and let her hand go. They both ran off to the piles of sakura petals that other children played in.

"Oh my! My son is already playing with girls his age!" Kaoru said happily. Kenshin nodded.

.......................

After the festival, Kaoru put Kenji down to sleep after promising that he could go and see Chihiro the next day.
As she slid his door close, she saw an officer walk out of the study. The officer tipped his hat to Kaoru, then left. Following him was Kenshin.

"Kenshin?" she whispered. He didn't look at her but a single tear fell down his scarred cheek.

"I'm sorry Kaoru, my love," he said solemnly.

........................

The next morning, Kenji woke to the sound of sobs. He quickly got up and ran to the outside porch.

Kaoru was knelt over and cradling a kimono...Kenshin's kimono.

"Where is father?" Kenji asked his mother. Through sobs, she spoke.

"He has gone to the continent...to China and fight the war...,"

The words stabbed Kenji's heart like knives....