Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the Absent Moon ❯ Mamoru's Greatest Wish ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters, places and quotes of Magic Knight Rayearth are copyright CLAMP, Kodansha, Dentsu, YTV, TMS-K & Anime Works. All Sailor Moon references and characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi, TOEI, Kodansha & Pioneer. All Dune quotes belong to Frank Herbert.

Shadow of the Absent Moon
- Mamoru's Greatest Wish -

"Sleeper?" The annoying child shook Mamoru's shoulder until he opened his eyes. "Did you dream of what you wanted?"

"No," he said squeezing his eyes shut.

"She was so beautiful with the tears glittering on her face, her hand pressed against the window glass."

"No."

"She was reaching for you and you can have her."

"No." He squeezed harder. Little bits of colored light flashed behind his eyes.

"She's out there waiting for you. My mother can give her to you. You have only to ask."

"No!" He opened his eyes again. The girl's face was inches from his own. She was smiling at him again.

"Why do you refuse my mother's offer? You want the girl. Or is it that you want her back?"

"No," he tried again. Refusal had worked so far.

"Why is it that you dream only of her if she isn't your greatest wish?"

He reached up and pushed her over. She fell to her side, laughing.

"You'll fall to my mother soon enough, I think."

"I will not. It's not real. Nothing in this place is real."

"That's the only way you can live through her death, isn't it? Believing that."

"This is Cephiro," said a voice from nowhere. "Anything is as real as you will it to be."

The child had dropped to one knee, head bowed.

"My darling Nova, how is our little sleeper now?"

"Oh, he's much recovered, Mother. He just needs a little more time."

"Time is something I grow short of. Sleeper?"

Mamoru still couldn't get a fix on the voice's owner.

"You must sleep and dream of your desire. When you awake, you will be mine."

Before Mamoru fought to keep his eyes shut, now he fought to keep them open. He lost the battle, sliding into a dream world where his beloved was alive and searching for him, but in the background someone chanted, "It's a lie."