Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the Absent Moon ❯ Usagi's Vision & Her Fight with Lantis ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters, places and quotes of Magic Knight Rayearth are copyright CLAMP, Kodansha, Dentsu, YTV, TMS-K & Anime Works. All Sailor Moon references and characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi, TOEI, Kodansha & Pioneer.

Shadow of the Absent Moon
- Usagi's Vision & Her Fight with Lantis -

"Usagi!"

"Usagi-chan!"

"Please wait for us, Usagi-san!"

The voices were finally falling away. Sailor Moon forced her legs to streach even farther, go even faster. He had to be out here somewhere.

"Mamo-chan!" There. Just ahead was the tower of rock she'd been heading for when the monster attacked them. "Mamo-chan!"

More speed. She had to get there. She had to see. He had to be alright.

An image formed in Sailor Moon's mind. Mamoru was kneeling, face twisted in agony. His fingers were making bloody scratches on his legs, even through his khakis. But that wasn't what was really bothering Usagi.

Behind him was a demented shadow figure laughing hysterically. It's glowing eyes were staring through to Usagi's soul.

"No!" Sailor Moon tripped over something and landed on her face. She rolled off of whatever it was that tripped her, pushing herself into a crouch. Blood was everywhere. Well, blood and other indecent things were everywhere. Horror tingled down her spine. Sailor Moon took a deep calming breath, and then spat it out. It tasted of blood and rotted meat.

She fell forward to her hands and knees, taking small breaths.

I will not throw up. I will not throw up.

She pulled the top of her sailor fuku over her nose and crawled away from the carnage.

It was all monster. It had to be.

It just couldn't be... "MAMO-CHAN!!!"

She fell to being sick and couldn't stop until she'd exhausted herself. Lying on the ground, Moon Power drifted away. She didn't care. Mamoru really was gone.

Someone stepped near her.

She ignored it. It was probably one of those girls, anyway.

"You are a very good actress," said a deep, sorrowful voice. Usagi turned on her side, but all she could see were shiny, black boots. "So," the owner of the shiny boots continued, "who sent you? Chizeta? Or Fahren?"

"Who are you?" She had to swallow back some bile lingering in the back of her throat.

He knelt down. For a splinter of a second, Usagi thought he was Mamoru, but then the tears in her eyes cleared and she saw that he wasn't.

"I think the real question is who are you and how did you just do that? I felt no magic.

Usagi was very careful to keep her eyes either on his face or the back of her eyelids. The carnage was something she didn't want to see again. "Why does it matter who I am? I just want to wake up."

"I did not ask for another question as a response."

"Neither did I!" Usagi sat up, pushed herself away from the stranger and crossed her arms.

"Fair enough. My name is Lantis. You are?"

"Tsukino Usagi."

"Your name is Rabbit of the Moon?"

"I could find japes about your name, too, so just tell me what you want and go away."

Lantis settled into an Indian Style seat. "I want to know who sent you to spy on Cephiro Castle."

"Spy?" He nodded. "Is this a multiple choice test, because I have no idea where I am, why I'm here or what's going on? I really just want to open my eyes and be back in Tokyo with Mamo-chan. I won't even think of laying foot, arm, fingers, hair or anything back inside Tokyo Tower again, if someone can just make that true."

"This is Cephiro."

"So, I've been told." She stood up and looked around. This time with anger fueling her, Usagi saw that all the bloody pieces really did belong to the monster and not to a particular six-foot vision of perfection.

Mamoru was alive.

"Listen, it has been a load of laughs meeting you. Have a wonderful life and if I'm not under arrest for High Treason, I have to find my boyfriend."

"Usagi!" Umi called.

Oh, shi-

"Usagi-chan, are you alright?" cried Hikaru.

Usagi held up a hand to get the girls to stop a few paces away. "I'm fine."

"This young lady just told me she is searching for her boyfriend," Lantis said from the ground.

"Lantis?" Hikaru looked from Lantis, to Usagi and back to Lantis. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard there was another outside of the castle. I came to tell you that if he is out here, we will not find him tonight."

Usagi spun around to face Lantis. "Why not?"

"I cannot sense his presence now, and I could not before."

"Before? When?"

"When he rescued you," supplied Umi.

"And brought you to the safety of the castle," Fuu finished for Umi.

He rescued me? How? And why if he was just going to accuse me of being a spy? Keep your enemies closer?

His face was cold unfeeling steel. Nice mask, but it will crack eventually.

"You would do well to school your features a little more carefully," Lantis whispered.

"And you'd do well to give in to emotion every once in awhile. It tends to make life worth living."

"To date, emotion only ever brought sorrow on this land."

"Am I missing something?" Umi stepped inbetween Lantis and Usagi. "Where did all this hostility come from?"

"A little tree that sat on a lonely aisle/In a brook of shining waters," Usagi quoted from a poem Ami had once read to her.

"What?"

"It's from a poem about the affects of loneliness. How it can steal everything that is important to you. The little tree eventually dies of loneliness."

"That's sad," said Hikaru.

"Yes, it is. The really sad part was that the tree was never alone to begin with. He had many friends around him, but he pushed them away for fear of rejection."

"Touching, but we must go now." Lantis found his feet.

"No." Usagi separated herself from the group. "I'm not going back without Mamoru."

"You cannot survive alone in the dark."

"If I can't, then he can't either. Do you think I'm going to leave him to that and not at least try to find him?"

"You have tried. You have failed. Return with us now or I will carry you."

Was he serious? Probably, but what kind of queen would she make if she gave in to bullies like him?

Okay, an alive queen... Maybe.

She tried to say no, but something hit her in the face, wired her jaw closed and kicked her in the back of the knees. She found herself on all fours for the second time that day. Then it pulled her under a black shadow of hopelessness.


"The Sleeper is lost, Mother. Why do you keep him around? May I kill him?"

"No, I find there are uses for him yet, my child."


Usagi came awake all at once to the light scent of lavender. She was in a huge bedroom.

"No." The castle. She had to be back in the castle. "No. No, no, no, no." The covers fell back to reveal she was still fully clothed, except for her shoes, which were sitting happily by the door.

She was drawn to the window near the bed. It would have had a wonderful view, if there was anything to look at but dirt and jagged stones. The only thing she had to admire was the lightning.

Thunder in Tokyo would have had her cuddled under her covers, begging for the storm to pass, but here with a missing soul mate, the thunder just wasn't that scary.

"Mamo-chan." Her fingers pressed onto the cold pane of glass. "Where are you?"