Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter Two:

Outside the theater:

Sailor Saturn assessed the situation. The drones she was facing now were definitely weaker than the one at the hospital last night, but what they lacked in strength they made up in speed. Plus, she was facing two of them at once and that fall had left her in bad shape; this was going to be a very difficult encounter. Just before the next round started Saturn's thoughts went towards Minako. She pictured her and Saori being raped by those two men. The next best thing to a prayer came to her mind {Please let me get to them in time}. With that she started fighting again. If she knew what was going on inside the theater right now, she'd actually be worried about Minako's attackers.

Chris was getting real angry here. First the boss radically changes his schedule, next he gets scared because of a possible vigilante stalking the group, third Allen gives him one of his killer stares, last a senshi pops up just when things were about to go his way. And now he's facing a psycho Marcel Marceau with a pet crow who wants a debt in blood. Chris wiped the sweat off his face and headed toward Carlos "Listen kid, I don't know who you are or what the hell you're babbling about" he lifted his knife "but you are about to join these two ladies on their trip to hell".

The mime smiled "Fine, but would you mind going ahead of us?"

Chris growled, without a word he pulled back his arm and threw his knife at the mime. It landed straight into his heart; the youth gurgled and fell.

"Ie!" Saori couldn't believe what she just saw; Minako too was appalled by Chris' cold blood. The only one smiling was Blaze

"All right Chris, awesome move!"

Chris was on no mood for praise though. "Slit their throats open and lets get this over with! This clown just killed the mood". Chris looked up at Blaze and noted that he looked as frightened as the girls did. "What's the matter? I'm too scary for you now?"

Trembling, Blaze pointed behind Chris "B-b-behind you."

Chris turned around, and for a moment became paler than the mime's make up. There, before his very eyes, he saw the person that he just killed get up on his feet as if nothing had happened. The teen looked down at the knife lodged in his chest with frightening indifference. He grabbed the handle and pulled out the knife, simple as that "Now, what did you mean to do with this?" Without further delay, he charged towards Chris, knife in front, and now it was his turn to be surprised. Unlike Willy, Chris was not one to let fear paralyze him. Especially when facing death. A swift kick and the knife was knocked out of his hand and landed next to Blaze. The mime hesitated for a moment, long enough for Chris to land a punch square in his jaw.

"Don't know what you are, freak. But you're definitely no fighter."

The so-called freak got up and wiped his bloody lip "You just caught me off guard." he readied his fighting stance "Now lets dance."

Minako watched the battle take place. That 'took me by surprise' line was definitely no excuse. This guy knew how to fight. She had absolutely no idea who he was or what were his intentions. But like the man says {'your enemy's enemy is lending you a hand'} or something like that. Minako looked over to Saori and Blaze, Saori was too frightened to even move and the prick was just standing beside her like an idiot, she could use this to her advantage. She checked the ropes holding her, Blaze did a lousy job tying her up, she had one chance to get free.

The fight between murderer and vigilante kept going. The mime tried an uppercut and Chris was barely able to evade, he quickly moved behind the mime and grabbed him in a headlock. "I gotta hand it to you kid" Chris said as he tightened his grip "you're a much better fighter than I thought."

The other snickered (despite the choking) "Ditto, you are definitely no Willy." This last comment took Chris by surprise making him loosen his hold just long enough to be thrown over the kid's shoulder. Chris got up as fast as the pain could allow him.

"You, you're the one that killed Willy."

"Correct, but don't worry, you and Blaze will be joining him soon enough." Chris looked straight into his eyes; he could see anger in its purest form.

"If you don't mind telling me. What exactly do you have against us?" The mime closed his eyes; another flashback went through his mind.

*****

Chris held his knife to a woman's throat, her blouse was ripped to shreds and her face was all bloody. "Worried? Can't blame you. After all, a dedicated mother can't let her kids see something like this."

"That is correct," remarked Blaze with his Freudian impersonation "Such trraumas can last a perrson's whole life. As short as they may be however."

The woman tried pleading once more "please...let them go I beg-" Chris' only response was to slap her face.

"Didn't I tell you to keep quiet? I guess the only way to keep you from talking, is to make you moan." The woman cried while Chris and Blaze just laughed.

*****

After a few minutes of tugging and twisting her wrists, Minako managed a small triumph. {Finally! Now what to do?} The guy with weird makeup was throwing the other over his shoulder, no need to go there. Minako looked towards Saori, she was still terrified while the other guy had recovered a little and was silently rooting for his partner. The important thing was that he was distracted. Perhaps she could take him by surprise and manage to get Saori and herself out of here. Minako took a deep breath, the only thing to do was an all out attack, its times like this when she wished she was a better strategist. She dropped the ropes and charged for Blaze.

Blaze couldn't tell what was more unbelievable, the fact that he just saw someone who should be dead get up and pull a knife out of his chest, or the fact that Chris was fighting this guy completely unfazed. He had to do some fast thinking. That nerd Hawkins said once that his humor indicated a sharp mind. So okay, let's come up with some ideas. He could charge into the fight and help Chris, but he knew he was no fighter; all that he would manage was make his life shorter. Blaze looked at the girl next to him, she was scared stiff. He could grab her and open her throat somewhere else, but she would probably scream and Blaze didn't want any attention right now. He could just sneak out, everyone is distracted and no one is looking at him, but Chris needed help. He couldn't abandon his friend and die, he was the only one who laughed at his jokes (okay, stand his jokes) and the guy had saved his ass more times that he could remember, he couldn't let his friend die! ...Nah, he could make more friends. Blaze had no time to put his idea to work though. Before he had time to react the blonde charged at him and dug her shoulder deep into his chest. More out of instinct than reason, Blaze grabbed her hair and threw her to the floor. He looked at her and rubbed his aching chest, looks like another battle was about to take place.

He took in every detail in the flashback. Every image and every wave of pain that came with it. He wanted to justify his reasons for sending this scum into oblivion. What seemed minutes in the boy's mind, where only seconds in real time. "You and your friends hurt me and the people I love a long time ago. And you hurt them the most. Willy figured out who I was out of that so I guess I won't explain further."

Chris eyes never left his opponent "Fine then, let's get this over with." He reached behind him and pulled out one wicked looking knife. The mime's visage kept neutral as he gestured for Chris to come and get him. The taunt had the desired effect; Chris ran toward him and slashed at his throat. Chris grinned as he saw the blood starting to flow from his neck, the grin quickly disappeared when he saw the wound seal and leave no trace.

The mime gave a look of annoyance "Haven't you figured it out yet? You can't kill someone twice."

Chris' anger was now showing again "Really? Then lets see if you can pull yourself together from mincemeat!"

Blaze was starting to wish he'd put more attention to the training sessions the boss had put them through. True, he was a bit stronger than the blonde was but she definitely had a lot more skill in fighting. And the fact that her being topless was distracting him didn't help. {Serves ya right you dirty minded fool}. He had to do some fast thinking.

Minako already had a plan of her own. Get this guy unconscious and get Saori out of here. Let these psychos take care of each other. This was going to be difficult though, the redhead had little or no skill in combat, but he did have stamina. She'd just have to wear it out of him. She curled her fist and drew a punch at the creep's stomach.

Just as the air got punched out of him, Blaze felt a sharp pain in his head. Probably an idea! {Blaze, you're a comedian and pervert. Use that!} Before Minako could land another punch, Blaze raised his hands before him forming a T. "Time out!" Minako was taken by surprise by this move. Blaze was pleased to see that the ruse was working "Mind if I check out a little something, Miss?"

"Uh-"

Blaze smiled "Thank you". Before she could react Blaze reached out with his left hand and squeezed her breast hard "HOOONK!"

Minako was all too shocked and enraged at this move "You little-Oof!"

Blaze wasted no time and landed his knee on her stomach, followed by a barrage of punches and kicks, it was payback time. He smiled to himself. {Never been so proud of being a pervert}.

Outside the theater, Saturn was in serious trouble. The two drones had been able to wound her, nothing serious, but it was causing her to slow down. If she could only take a few seconds to heal herself, but the drones didn't pause. But Saturn wasn't about to give up. "Silence glaive surprise!"

In the meantime, the mime was getting the upper hand in his battle. He had managed to get Chris enraged; who now was flaying his knife with no aim whatsoever. He easily dodged and gave Chris short jabs to the face, which angered him even more. But now was the time to end this. With a swift move, he grabbed Chris' wrist and snatched the weapon from his hand. The mime gave him a wicked sneer "Now here, is how you use a knife" he released Chris and made a swift downward motion with the knife. As soon as he was released Chris stepped back.

Seeing the apparently wasteful move Chris laughed, "What exactly were you supposed to show me?"

"Look at your hand."

Chris saw and his face went blank. His hand was gone; his sanity was now at the edge of collapse. The mime's face now showed morbid satisfaction. He finally managed to make his prey feel fear.

Just as it seemed Minako was at the ropes, Blaze heard an explosion coming from the outside. This distracted him long enough for the blonde to get her second wind. Remembering a move that Makoto had showed her, Minako grabbed Blaze's arm as he tried to hit her, turned and threw the creep over her shoulder. Blaze grunted he lost the upper hand again, and to a girl for crying out loud. The he felt something cold and sharp with his hand, the knife! As Minako approached him, he grabbed the weapon and thrust it into her shoulder. Minako's eyes went wide with disbelief, she remembered the feeling all too well, this was a fatal wound. Everything went dark as she fell. As she lied on the floor, Blaze put his face over her own and pecked her nose. "Too bad, we could have been very good friends you and me."

Up until now Saori had witnessed everything in silence, but this was too much to bear "MINAKO-SAN!"

Exhaustion had finally caught up with Saturn. She looked up at the drones. One had a nasty slash over its chest. The other was missing its left arm, both of them. The drones attacked and Saturn did the only thing she could, "Silence Wall!" Both bugs crashed into the barrier but quickly recovered and began slashing at it. Their instincts told them that their prey was weakening. Saturn kept her shield up as best as she could. She had to survive; she had to save Minako. One more blow and the Silence Wall shattered. Saturn collapsed, her eyes closed as heard the drones step closer. She had no energy left; there was nothing she could do.

"Mars flame Sniper!"

The maimed drone looked up to see a fiery arrow crash into its chest. The scarred one turned once to see its companion reeling backwards, then again to the source of the attack, only to be greeted by a shower of red roses. Saturn opened her eyes and saw Eternal Sailor Moon kneeling beside her. "Don't worry Saturn, help has arrived."

Tuxedo Kamen drew out his cane and Sailor Mars readied a mystic seal. "Sailor Moon! Take care of Saturn while we handle these daimon!"

Sailor Moon nodded "Hai." {Be careful Mamo-chan}.

"Huh?" the mime turned at the girl's scream; he was stricken by what he saw. The girl with emerald hair was crying her eyes out, the blonde was bleeding profusely from her shoulder and Blaze just stood there laughing. Meanwhile Chris had recovered a bit from the shock, noticing the freak's distraction he took advantage.

"Hey mime!" He turned to see a blood red circle smash into his face, followed by a sharp sting. Chris dug the stump of his hand deep into his eye. He knew the clown would recover soon "Blaze we're leaving!" Chris ran outside.

"Right behind you!" Blaze responded and followed.

Blinded, the mime could do nothing, he cursed his luck. Then he heard the crow's call, he didn't know how but he knew what it meant. He turned and threw a punch. It landed right on Blaze's jaw leaving him unconscious. His vision cleared in time to see his prize, he smiled. Then he remembered the girls, he walked over to help them, vengeance would have to wait.

Minako heard footsteps coming towards her. {This is it, all over}. She then heard a man's voice.

"Come on, you can help me with your friend". She managed to open her eyes and saw a kabuki character leaning over her. When he started to take of what was left of her blouse, she panicked, but felt a bit of relief when he tied the torn garment around her wounded shoulder. {He's here to help}-darkness overcame once more.

The kabuki checked the wound "It's a clean cut. Here, hold this tight so the-" Carlos saw that the green-haired girl was still panic-stricken. "HEY!" Saori reacted to the scream. "Your friend is dying here!" he stated coldly "Are you going to do something or let her bleed to death?"

That statement scared Saori straight. She cleared her head {He's right. I have to help Minako-san}. Saori knelt beside her friend "Alright. What do I do?"

He took her hand, rather roughly, and made her hold the shirt he'd tied up "Hold this tight so it stops the hemorrhage" saying that he got to his feet.

Saori was surprised when he started to leave "Hey wait! Where are you going?"

He didn't even look back "You can help her on your own. I have better things to do" He turned over to where Blaze had fallen; somehow he recovered and managed to escape. No matter, those two will fall soon enough. He picked up Chris' hand and did something with it on the floor, then jumped to the hole in the wall ignoring Saori's pleading.

Sailor Mars and Tuxedo Kamen made short work of the drones. Meanwhile Sailor Moon managed to recover some of Saturn's energy. The youngest senshi opened her eyes again. "You okay Saturn?" The Moon princess asked.

Saturn gave off a violet glow; her wounds disappeared in a moment. "Hai" her eyes went wide suddenly "Minako! She's still in there."

"Nani?"

Saturn took a deep breath then continued "Minako and Saori, there are two men inside with them. They are going to-" Everybody heard someone land nearby. They were startled to see a person dressed in black with a crow perched on his shoulder.

The newcomer was quite surprised himself, three teenagers in skimpy fukus and a guy wearing a cape and top hat. This was a weird country; then again, he wasn't exactly normal himself.

Sailor Mars took the initiative "Who are you and what have you done to the girls in there?"

He just strode by her without responding.

"Hey baka I'm talking to you!"

He answered without bothering to face Mars "The attackers are gone now. You can take care of the rest."

"Wait a minute!" Tuxedo Kamen poked his cane into the stranger's ribs forcing him to a halt. "You're not leaving until you tell us what we want to know!"

Annoyed he grabbed the cane, flung Tuxedo Kamen out of his way and resumed walking. None of the senshi could believe what they saw. Despite his appearance, this guy was definitely not human. "One of the girls inside is dying, and her friend is too much of a coward to help. I suggest you go inside if you don't want a life lost."

Sailor Moon, who had already gotten Saturn to her feet, was terrified by this man's coldness. Yet she managed the final verbal assault "And why can't you stay and help, huh?"

Carlos stopped just short of entering the shadows "I only stay where I'm needed. Or perhaps the little witch can only heal herself?" he said as he signaled Saturn.

Saturn growled when she heard that word. "And just who are you supposed to be?"

"The messenger of death, the crow," he answered and disappeared.

Saturn however, had heard a slightly different name: "Karasu no shi?"

Tuxedo Kamen and the other senshi remained speechless. Who was this kid and what did that make up mean? No time to ponder on the subject though. If what he said was true, there were urgent matters to be attended. The four went inside.

"MINAKO-CHAN!" Sailor Moon ran towards her fallen friend. The bloodstain around her shoulder seemed enormous. Luckily, Saori had made a good job in taking care of her friend. Moon called over her shoulder "Saturn!"

"Already ahead of you." She placed a hand over Minako's wound. It healed in an instant. Saturn turned towards Saori "How about you? Are you hurt?"

"Ie, I'm alright," her shivering said otherwise.

Sailor Moon got up "Mars, could you call the authorities?" The senshi of fire nodded.

Meanwhile, Tuxedo Kamen surveyed the area. There'd been an obviously brutal encounter here. Blood, smashed props, a couple of stained knives and a still twitching hand, lying next to Karasu's mark. Thank goodness he hadn't had dinner yet. He thought of the dark character they met briefly. {Are you friend or foe? Let's hope at least that you're not the latter}.

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

Kara sat in her chair staring into nothingness. Paul kept himself busy feeding his pigeon.

Finally, Kara's boredom became too much. "Why did Allen have to send me to run errands, while Chris and Seinfeld-wanna-be get all the fun?"

Paul didn't look up; he was used to Kara's sudden outbursts "Personally. I'm rather enjoying this little R&R."

Kara sighed "I just hope those two aren't having two much fun."

Paul gave her a mock smile of comfort "Sorry, I found out that this victim is a girl. And you know those two. Let's hope they remember to end her pain." Noting that Kara's mood was getting worse, he quickly changed the subject. "So... Did you think about what Chris has been saying?"

"About?"

"About the boss. I can't help thinking that he may be right about Poe getting out of touch."

Kara snorted, "Paul. All of us come from the sickest, scariest asylums around the world. We're murderers, rapist, freaks, the worst of all scum. How can Allen be sane? Especially when he's my boyfriend."

Paul got up "Yeah, but it's getting different. Exactly how does he manage to keep us all together? Why can't we question him when he's around? And why weren't we all that surprised when he introduced the drones?" he sighed, "There's more to this Kara, I just know it."

Kara said nothing, she would never admit it, but she believed something was wrong and wondered why nobody stood up to Allen. But it was different with her, she loved Allen and he loved her back. Didn't he? "(Sigh) I'm going to my room. I need some tunes to relax".

The door leading outside opened with a bang at that moment "Get Hawkins, NOW!"

Paul's pigeon almost flew out of his hands. "Hey Blaze! Do you have to come in... Chris?!"

Kara and Paul were appalled. There stood Blaze with his mouth all bloody, carrying a faint Chris with a bandage where his hand should be. Kara ran over, "Blaze. What the hell happened?"

"Quit asking dumb questions and get the Nerd. NOW!"

Everyone was in the lab now. Chris lying in a cot with artificial veins hooked to his wrist. The rest of the crew, including Allen, stood by while Hawkins checked some monitors. Finally, Hawkins broke the news "Well, Chris' lost plenty of blood. He'll be unconscious for a while, but he'll survive."

Paul growled "Survive only to bear nightmares. We shouldn't let him suffer like this". Paul headed towards the agonizing Chris but Allen stopped him.

"I'll decide who you can liberate Paul, not you! Now step back!"

Paul cringed, "Yes sir."

Allen took a deep breath, "Now Blaze. Calmly tell us what happened at the theater."

Blaze took his time before answering. "So, okay. It went like this. Me and Chris go into the theater-"

"Chris and I," Hawkins corrected.

"No, you weren't there. So we find the girl, plus a blonde who's a friend of her. We jump on them, tie them up, Chris pulls out his small knife and just as we are going to have fun, the senshi with the spear shows up-"

"Wait a minute" Kara interrupted "You mean a senshi cut off his hand?"

"No, no, the senshi was no trouble. We sent the drones after her. The guy who sliced Chris' hand came later."

"There was someone else?"

"U-huh, right after the drones threw the senshi out, an ugly black bird showed up at the window." Allen's eyes lit up at that comment. "Then somebody calls us and we turn to see this psycho dressed in black, with black and white make up saying he's going to kill us."

Kara shook her head "And didn't Chris try to kill him or maul-"

"How do you think he lost his hand? He threw a knife straight into the mime's heart and he just pulled it out like a splinter."

Kara's eyebrows bent "Pulled a knife out of his chest. I think you're inhaling too much nitrous my friend"

Blaze grabbed Kara by the neck "I didn't hallucinate! We were almost killed by a fuckin' zombie!"

"That's enough Blaze" Allen's voice quieted everyone "Just one more thing. The mime's make up. What was the design?"

"Umm, white face, slashes over his eyes and black lips with a sort of mean smile."

Allen took in the information without gesturing "Very well. You're all dismissed. I'll call for a reunion later". Everyone left "Hawkins, do you know what this means?"

Hawkins almost cackled "Yes Mr. Poe. The bird has landed."

As the three headed for their respective quarters, Paul noted the bruises on Blaze. "Looks like you took quite a beating yourself."

Blaze took the gauze off his mouth. "What? No, the guy just knocked a couple of teeth. It was one of the girls, she knew karate."

Kara's eyes went wide "You mean a girl beat you up?"

"Yeah, a girl beat me up! AND A BLONDE! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!?" Blaze ran off to his room. Leaving the other two stunned.

"I don't believe it," said Paul.

"That Blaze and Chris came home like that?"

"That Blaze is so scared that he's actually acting serious."

*****

The police officer looked up from his note pad "White make up?"

Minako nodded "Hai. And he wasn't working with the others, I'm sure of that."

"Very well, arigato Aino-san. We'll find out what we can about this… Karasu no shi."

Usagi held Minako's hand. "Arigato sergeant, I know you'll do what you can."

"10-4. And by the way, it's about time we got something interesting to work on." He turned towards Minako "If there's nothing more to say Aino-san, we'll be taking you home now."

"Arigato sergeant, but I think I can manage-"

"Better do as the officer says Mina-chan. Someone in your condition shouldn't be left alone."

Minako closed the coat she wore tighter and looked into Usagi's eyes. Her friend was right; she was in very bad shape. But strangely enough, she felt quite calm. The sergeant put his hand on her shoulder "Very well Miss, come along."

Usagi watched as her friend left. She couldn't believe what Minako almost went trough. She was glad her well-being. But by the way her rescuer was described and what she had witnessed, she couldn't help but worry. She went to the other senshi and Tuxedo Kamen. They waited for the police to leave and released their superhero guise.

Rei was the first to speak "So, what do we do about the guy with a crow on his shoulder?"

"Based on what Hotaru told us this morning and the crow, we know who that person is," said Usagi "The question is whether he will become our ally."

Mamoru gave his love a perplexed look "Usako, you're not considering that person could be a friend?"

"Why not? We questioned Haruka-san and Michiru-san when we first met them. And now we trust them completely."

"Same with me," Hotaru said, "Haruka-papa and Michiru-mama once thought of me as a dark messiah and I'm their daughter now."

Mamoru nodded, "Anyway, there's not much we can do, except wait until those... What were they called Hotaru-chan?"

"Drones I think."

"Right, to strike again."

Rei grumbled, "So we sit around and wait as usual. Can't our enemies leave more info for once?" she shook her head with a sigh. "Anyway, let's go home."

Carlos sat on top of a street lamp nearby the crow was perched next to him. Carlos turned to his feathered companion "So Guardian. Are you sure that you'll be able to find those two again?"

"{I can,}" Carlos heard the crow's voice in his mind, "{and must if you and I are ever to find rest.}"

"Ah sí? Well I never asked for you to bring me back. You could have just left me-"

"{You weren't at peace. And you wanted to come back, you had to make things right.}"

Carlos crossed his arms. The guardian was right, he wanted revenge, so badly he had to come back to the world of the living. "What can you tell me about the guy in a monkey suit and the girls we met out of the theater? The ones in sailor suits."

"{I know about them. But I can't tell you, there are rules to follow you know.}" The guardian raised its head "{And I advise that you avoid all contact with them.}"

"Why? Another rule."

"{Not necessarily, but there is too much risk. Carelessness will lead you to demise. I've seen it happen to a lot of warriors like you.}"

"Yeah well" Carlos jumped down "None of them were me," he said as he pointed his thumb at himself.

The guardian watched him leave and shook its head. And eternity of carrying souls and none had given him this much trouble before. He thought of the four they met at the theater. {As much as I want to see you old friend. I hope the need never arises.} Then he flew off, to guide the warrior.

*****

Hotaru heard a knock on her door "Come in." Setsuna walked into Hotaru's room. She found her working on her drawing board.

"That was Michiru-san on the phone. She and Haruka-san are expecting to be home sometime this week."

Hotaru replied but didn't look up from her work "That's nice."

"It seems that Haruka-san finished in third place." Setsuna snorted, "She's a bit upset about it. How about making her a big dinner to cheer her up?"

"U-huh" Hotaru kept sketching. Setsuna was starting to get annoyed.

"By the way, there's a man here to see you. You've inherited 100 billion yen." This time Hotaru didn't even nod. "Hotaru-chan!"

"Nani?"

Setsuna walked over to the young girl. "Just what are you working on that's so interesting?" She took a look at the drawing. It was the rough sketch of a young man wearing an overcoat and carrying a bird on his shoulder. It was fairly detailed, the only part missing was the face.

"It's Karasu, the person who saved Minako-chan" Hotaru explained. "He was really impressive, even though he acted like a pest, so I just had to make a portrait. Besides, it might help if the others know what he look like."

"It's... very interesting. This bird on his shoulder is a crow, right?"

Hotaru noted something weird in Setsuna's tone "Hai, but that's not the intriguing part." She started to work on the face. A sharp nose, thin lips, lines extending from the sides and slashes over the eyes. She put special detail on the eyes. When she saw them at the theater they were so full of anger and sadness. "What do you think these marks mean Setsuna-mama?"

Setsuna took her time before answering. "Well, the mask obviously means to hide something. His motives perhaps. We can't come to a fair conclusion based on his image though." Setsuna changed the subject. "By the way. How was Carlos-san doing at the hospital?"

"Much better it seems. He wasn't in there.

"Nani?"

"When I went there a nurse told me he was missing. Then, after I left the hospital, he tapped my shoulder, says: 'don't worry', and disappeared." Hotaru placed her hands under her chin. "It was too vague an encounter and yet…a lot happened…" her voice drifted away.

"It sounds to me that you will be drawing another portrait tonight." Setsuna tried her best not to laugh when she saw Hotaru blush. "Anyway, I'm taking a bath and going to bed. Things were pretty busy at the observatory today. There's been talk about new funding." She took one last look at the sketch before leaving "Your drawing skills keep getting better by the way."

"Arigato," said Hotaru as Setsuna left. She sighed with relief. If Setsuna had stayed further, Hotaru might have blurted out that she actually felt something for Carlos. Well, they weren't exactly feelings; she just felt a sort of connection between them since that night. Hotaru shook her head, it was probably just concern.

Setsuna walked out of her 'daughter's' room and shut the door. She stood there for a while. Hotaru's drawing, she knew what and who it was. {After all this time, I don't know whether to be glad, or afraid}.

*****

Whirlpool Compound, next day:

Kara lied on her bed all alone. She tried, but hardly slept a wink. That story Blaze had told them and Chris' severed hand kept giving her nightmares. She thought of the way Blaze described that guy, white face and black marks.

Kara recalled the night when she and Allen first started sleeping together. The next morning, she got up before Allen. She started looking around his bedroom; maybe she would find something that could tell her more about her secretive lover. She saw a folder on the desk. By the looks of it, Allen had tried to hide it in a rush last night. She picked it up and took a peek at it. There were dates from about a hundred years past and several more recent police records. There was also a picture, she was about to look at it when Allen grabbed the folder out of her hands suddenly. His eyes blackened. "What exactly are you looking for little lady?"

"A-Allen, I didn't mean... that is-" Those eyes, Kara couldn't stop shaking.

Allen raised his hand suddenly. Kara winced, thinking he was about to strike her. Instead, he softly stroked her cheek. "Curiosity killed the cat, you know. You don't think I want you getting hurt, not now that we've gotten together." Kara relaxed. "These papers are not of your concern. Don't go poking your nose in them again. Understood?"

Hawkins' voice in the intercom took Kara out of her flashback. "{Every one into the infirmary. Mr. Poe has arranged for a meeting}." {A meeting at the infirmary?} thought Kara, {Maybe Chris' regained consciousness}. Kara got up and rushed over to where her teammates waited. She wanted answers, and this time, Allen was going to give them, one way or another.

Everyone was present. Chris looked terrible, but kept his aggressive demeanor. He was the first to speak. "All right Allen, enough is enough! We've been working for you for two years now, never knowing what is going on," he raised his maimed arm to punctuate "and this is what finally happens! This and Willy! Now what are your plans?"

Blaze interceded, "Hey, hey, easy pal. You've already lost a hand, don't bust a gut."

Allen took a deep breath. "Chris, I truly sympathize for your misfortune, and Blaze, I'm glad your good humor is returning." He closed his eyes and crossed his arms, "But Chris is right. The time has come for you to know the true purpose of your missions."

Those who could came closer; this was going to be interesting.

*****

Seiryu High school:

During lunch break, Hotaru tried to distract herself by recalling some of her favorite poems, it wasn't working. But hey, that's how she spent most of her free time. All of the other students tended to leave her alone. It bothered her a bit how everyone ignored her, but at least she wasn't feared and rejected. One must count her blessings.

According to the gossip mill, there was a new student in school, one of higher level and a boy. Hotaru saw her classmates swoon over how handsome this new sempai was. She shook her head. She would never act in such a ridiculous fashion, no matter how good looking a guy could be. True, she hadn't seen him yet, so maybe she shouldn't rush to conclusions. She was getting into that age; maybe that's why she wasn't bothered when one of her classmates came over to talk on the subject, Reiko. She was the only one who would seek Hotaru out, probably because she was also considered an outcast. Reiko was quite aggressive and bold when it came to boys, something her parents and peers frowned upon but she didn't care.

"So Hotaru-san, have you heard the news?"

"Do you mean the new student, Reiko-san? Hai, but only rumors."

"Well I've heard plenty about him," Reiko boasted, "His father works for Dark Feather and his name's Navarro."

"Navarro?" Hotaru tapped her chin, "From Spain?"

"Close, he's Mexican. Guys there are brutal and outgoing. Just the way I like 'em."

Hotaru rolled her eyes "You're already making out a profile and I'll bet you don't even know his name."

"Of course I do!" Reiko responded, "His name's Charlie-" she slapped her forehead "baka, he probably hates being called that. It's Carlos."

Hotaru got up with a start when she heard the name. "Long black hair, ponytail and sunglasses?"

"Uh…Hai-" Hotaru said no more, she just rushed out of the room. Reiko was surprised to see, Hotaru of all people, react like that. Then she just shrugged, "Just when you think you know a person."

It wasn't that hard to find Carlos. The crowd of girls talking about him was quite large to miss, and most turned to look in a same direction. Hotaru followed their gaze and sure enough, she found who she was looking for. There was Carlos, standing under a tree. She had to admit, he looked quite well in the uniform. She also noticed he wore a black blazer instead of blue. This matched perfectly with the mood he irradiated. His glasses hid his eyes, but one could tell he was bothered by something. Hotaru checked to make sure no one was looking; she didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression. Taking a deep breath, she took the first step.

"{Explain to me again your necessity to attend this institution.}" Guardian kept watch on Carlos up from a tree, where none other could see him. He didn't approve of the warrior coming here, but there was nothing he could do to stop him.

"I needed a bit of normality in my life," Carlos answered in a normal tone, he didn't care if any onlookers thought it was weird to talk alone. He hoped it would keep people away. "Coming back from the dead as an invincible fighter is a bit too much for a fifteen year old," he slammed his fist into the tree, "either I find something to hold on to or I'll go completely insane."

"{If you already possess a bit of insanity, why stop it?}" Guardian mocked. Carlos was about to give a comeback when he heard a girl's voice.

"Eto, Navarro-sempai?"

Carlos sighed, he'd already had his fill with silly girls ogling him, so he answered by yelling: "Con una chin…didn't I tell you to leave me-" he snapped shut when he saw who it was. Hotaru stood there stunned. "So it's you again," he said in a lower voice.

"Hai, I heard somebody with your name got inscribed and I had to see if it was you."

"Well it is me. And I told you before, you don't have to worry about me, so: adios." Carlos signed off and began to walk away.

"Matte! When I first found you, you were almost frozen to death! How can you just tell me not to worry, just like that?" Hotaru was starting to get annoyed by Carlos' attitude. At that moment, the bell rang.

Carlos gave Hotaru a mocking smirk, "I'd love to debate that issue, but it seems we must now part."

Hotaru frowned, "Very well. But we will have this conversation."

Each went on their way, lost in their own thoughts.

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

Allen had finished his narration five minutes ago, and still, no one could answer. Paul was the first to speak "This is unbelievable. You might be toying with things beyond your control sir."

"I knew the risks and consequences when I started this project." said Allen plainly "And now, so do you. You can walk out, no strings attached. Or, you can stay, and reap the rewards."

Kara answered without hesitation "You know I'll be with you Love, always."

Blaze shrugged "I'm in too. Makes as much sense as everything else in my life."

"I'll stay," said Paul as he stared at Allen, "but for other reasons."

Allen nodded in understanding. He turned towards Chris, "What about you? You might get the chance to get even." Allen snickered in his mind. Chris was physically and emotionally weakened. While he had new confidence. Chris would be easy to control now.

"Get even? When I'm like this!" Chris snarled.

"Chris' right boss" Blaze said. "This guy is way too strong. Maybe even for the drones."

Allen gestured for Hawkins to come closer. "Paul, Kara, you two can leave now." They did so. "As for you," he pointed to Chris, "Dr. Hawkins has ways to make both of you stronger. Think about it Blaze, no one else will ever push you around again."

Blaze's eyes went wide. "You mean the nerd here can give us super powers."

"Enhance your abilities, yes" Hawkins said non-challantly. "It depends on how willing you are."

Blaze loved the idea. He'd always been a pushover. He started to make jokes as a kid to make others laugh so they'd leave him alone. Now, it was his turn to be the bully, "Beef me up snotty!"

Chris rolled his fist "I still don't like you Allen. But if you can grant me revenge, I agree."

"It's settled then. Hawkins, they're all yours." Allen left the room.

"Yes Mr. Poe."

Allen wasn't surprised to find Kara waiting outside the door, "Now what's the matter with you?"

"I'm worried," Kara answered softly as she held to his arm, "This project of yours seems too dangerous. And don't try to hide it from me, I've noticed there's something wrong with your health."

Allen cupped Kara's chin, "I said it before, I know the risks." He gave her a quick kiss. "I must get going now. One of us has to bring food to the table."

"Not to mention the bug chow."

Allen narrowed his eyes, "Have you been spending time with Blaze?"

"Hey, he doesn't have the monopoly on lame jokes."

*****

As Hotaru walked back home she came up to the Crown game center. She seldom went in, and right now she wasn't going to go into all that noise in her present condition. That encounter with Carlos left her with a nasty headache; she could hardly concentrate the rest of the day. She did glance inside however and saw a large crowd gathered at the 'Zombie House 3' console. {Looks like someone is about to break a new record}. She was about to walk away when she caught a glimpse of the player. Hotaru was almost positive, but she wanted to make sure who it was. She spun on her heels and went inside.

Everybody was trying to get a look at the screen. "Can you believe that guy?" "One shot, one kill." "How many tokens has he used?" "Watch out for that... yow!" "I felt that one."

The new celebrity was just a few points away from setting a new record, and one shot away from game over. Despite all the excitement, he kept cool and calculating. His arm kept straight, vision cleared, never trigger-happy. One more shot and the record was set.

"Konnichiwa Navarro-sempai!" Hotaru called out from right behind him.

"Aww!" That moment of distraction gave an imp the chance to bite him. Game over.

Ignoring the complaints, Carlos turned to face the cause of his demise. "Buenas tardes Señorita. Y gracias."

Hotaru smirked back at him "Well, you owed me for yelling at me back in school."

"Well now we're even," Carlos replied as he put the gun in its place, "Now we can get on with our lives." But before he could get away, Hotaru stood in front of him.

"I said we would talk. And I shall not leave you alone until we do," she stated firmly.

Carlos sighed in defeat, "Bueno, let's head for the café."

The two teenagers sat down, ordered their drinks and spent the following minutes in complete silence. Hotaru kept trying to make contact, but Carlos avoided her gaze. Finally, Hotaru had enough. "Look. I'm used to being ignored. But you are being just plain rude."

"I just don't like being with people. Especially those who hound me."

"I'm not hounding you."

"Oh no? Tell me then. How did you now my name is Navarro, when I never told you?"

"A friend told me, and then I, uh," Hotaru blushed as she stammered, "I…did a little investigating to make sure. Gomen ne sempai."

Carlos crossed his arms and flavored his victory. "Okay. Now that you feel as stupid as one of the guys, I'll guess you'll be leaving me alone."

Hotaru crooked an eyebrow, "What do you mean, one of the guys?"

"Vamos. From what I've seen at your school, a girl with your looks must have a whole fleet of lulls behind her all the time."

Hotaru blushed furiously and almost dropped her teacup from the surprise. {My looks?} She didn't know whether to slap his face for being fresh, or thank the compliment. She shook her head to dispel the confusion. "Tell me. How did you leave the hospital so soon?"

Carlos shrugged, "I felt better in the morning. And, as you may have noticed, I don't let people tell me where I should be. But why should you be concerned with this? You can see I'm all right."

Hotaru looked around and grabbed a newspaper somebody left behind. After flipping through a few pages, she pointed out an article. "Look at this."

Carlos' ego boosted when he read the headline, "'Maniac murderer strikes hospital'. And I thought Juban was going to be a boring place," he said with a sarcastic smile.

Hotaru huffed, "How can you laugh? The creep paints birds with blood as a calling card. Aren't you the least bit scared?"

"I have lived in both Mexico city and New York. This is nothing."

Hotaru shook her head, "I give up."

"I thought I'd find you here" Hotaru looked up, it was Ami. The azure haired girl approached the table, "Who's your friend Hotaru-chan?"

Hotaru made the introductions, "Ami-san, this is Navarro Carlos; Navarro-sempai, my friend Mizuno Ami."

"So you are Carlos? Pleased to meet you."

"Likewise." Carlos got up and clapped his hands, "Well, since three's crowd, I guess I'll be leaving." Before Hotaru could respond, he was already on his way. "Won't see you tomorrow."

Ami watched as the youth left, "Charming fellow."

"You said it. What is it Ami-san? You seem worried."

"I found something at the hospital. We have to arrange a new meeting."

*****

Dark Feather Tower:

When everybody else at the observatory had chosen her to meet with the company CEO, Setsuna accepted reluctantly. Now, as she saw the view from the top floor, she was glad they picked her.

It was simply amazing. This was the tallest building in Juban and just a small part of one of the most powerful business conglomerates in the world. Unbelievable that nearly two years ago there was nothing here.

"Meioh-san?" Setsuna turned to the secretary who called her name. "Sorry to have kept you waiting. You can come in now."

"Arigato." She followed the petit blonde into the main office. Once she took the first step inside, she couldn't help noticing the peculiar decor. While all the other offices were designed to use light in the most efficient manner, this one purposely received the least amount possible. It was like walking into a patch of midnight.

"Meioh-san," the secretary began, "meet our CEO and founder of 'Dark Feather': Allen Poe."