Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter five:

Crow's nest:

"All in all, I'd say this encounter with the senshi didn't go so bad," Carlos told Guardian as he bandaged the wounds Saturn had made.

"{I am unable to tell whether that encounter will affect us in a positive or negative way}," Guardian commented, "{You aided three of the senshi, possibly saved their lives. But when confronted by Lady Saturn, you attacked in earnest. And at the end you chose to leave her humiliated, even though you proved your alignment. What were you thinking? She is not the most powerful of the senshi, but in battle she is, to place it in earthly terms, a though cookie}."

"Well, when we fought we seemed to be evenly matched. And I turned out the winner," he boasted, "Maybe those girl scouts aren't as tough as you say they are." His expression then became serious as he flexed his arm. "Or maybe I'm stronger than I thought," he said, more to himself.

Guardian frowned upon Carlos' arrogance, but he had raised a good point. Every Messenger and Guardian in Coronis knows about the power of warriors and senshi. Even though only a few Messengers could become Guardians, therefore guide the warriors. And from the whole planet, only two individuals had the honor to meet the senshi of the solar system. Now, every Guardian knows that a warrior is much stronger than a mortal, but a senshi is infinitely stronger than a warrior. Saturn should have sliced him in half at the first second. But Carlos Navarro couldn't be the one to become… "{You haven't answered my question warrior}," Guardian insisted, "{Why did you fight lady Saturn?}"

Carlos got up, twirling the katana in his hands. "If someone accuses me of being a murderer, I'll admit it. I have killed and I am not afraid of doing it again if need be." In one swift motion, he sliced the katana through a column, "She thought I was going to murder a child!" Carlos roared, "How dare she compare me with those creeps who raped and murdered my mother and sister!?" He sliced the column again; two large pieces fell upon the floor. "I'm not like those monsters!"

"That is true, you are not a monster," Guardian replied calmly. "But tell me. Are you taking care that you don't become one?"

Carlos turned to Guardian, surprise written all over his face. How could he ask him such a question? But more than a question, it was meant to be a warning.

Carlos kept exercising for a few minutes. The he struck out conversation again. "You know Guardian? I've noticed something."

"{What is it warrior?}"

Carlos walked up to the bird. "How you keep referring to the senshi as 'ladies'. I know you have a protocol to keep, but isn't that a bit too much."

"{It is not too much. And there is a reason for me to refer to them by title}," Guardian pointed out "{I thought at first that you should keep your distance from them. But now, I believe it best that you become informed on the subject of the Silver Kingdom}."

Carlos' expression went blank, "Silver Kingdom?"

Guardian glanced to the heavens. He ordered every word and phrase he was going to use. "{The senshi are the reincarnation of a royal court. From a kingdom that existed on Earth's Moon millennia ago}."

"A Moon kingdom? You're pulling my leg."

"{You have come back from the grave, have you not? Would you have believed that such a thing was possible a year ago?}" Carlos shut his mouth. Guardian continued, "{The Silver kingdom was a golden age. War, disease and famine were quite unheard of. Even death was a rarity back then. I hadn't even hatched at that time}."

Carlos' eyes widened in mock surprise, "And here I am, thinking you're as old as time." Guardian frowned. "Hey it's a joke. Aliviánate, no?"

Guardian continued his narrative. "{Peace was not to last. A dark force appeared, threatening to consume it all. The Moon kingdom and those of the other planets, being ill prepared, fell quickly}." Guardian's tone became saddened "{Before the war, the messengers were a few hundreds. Afterwards, we became legion}."

Carlos nodded in understanding. He read in history books just how many casualties they'd been in twentieth century wars. Imagine whole planets being wiped out. "I take it that's when you hatched."

"{No. My generation appeared along with the birth of civilization. Right after mankind left the Stone Age for good}." Guardian cocked his head. "{If you think about it, I'm actually quite young}."

Carlos snickered. "Compared to what?" They both laughed a while. "Still, your story doesn't explain why I should keep away from them?"

Guardian became serious again. "{Protection. Your own, theirs and this world's}." Carlos gave Guardian a confused look. "{I've seen mankind suffer great losses and reach greater goals. But this century, it has been one failure after another}." Guardian set his eyes upon the stars. "{The return of the senshi heralds a new era, one of perpetual peace. It's quite possible that your mission will get out of control. As it happened to many warriors before you}." He gazed into Carlos' eyes. "{If we risk the life of the princess, we risk the whole world's future}."

Carlos nodded "Indeed. I must be very careful with the future;" he got up and started pacing around, "especially now that I DON'T HAVE ONE!" He bolted into a room, not before punching a hole into the wall.

Guardian shook his head saddened. {Lady Phobos, Lady Deimos, please guide us}.

*****

Hikawa shrine, sundown:

Three outer senshi, two lunar cats and the future rulers of the Earth waited inside Rei's guestroom. The three couples discussed about Karasu, the drones and how they were related. They tried to talk Setsuna into telling them what she knew, but she insisted in waiting for the others to arrive. Plus, it was Ami who had called the meeting and what she had to say came first. As always, there was no way to convince Setsuna otherwise.

There was one thing out of place in the room. A strange looking machine was placed on top of the TV set. Ami and Setsuna had placed it there and connected it earlier. Rei objected, but Ami explained they needed to be at an area where they would receive as little interference as possible. And Hikawa was the best location.

Usagi turned her head and saw Rei sitting in the corridor, looking at the sky. She couldn't see her face, but her strong sense of empathy told her that something worried her friend. She excused herself and went outside.

Rei looked up to the heavens trying to find something out of place. A few nights ago, during that storm, she had felt something, something oddly familiar. Then it disappeared. Why?

"Penny for your thoughts, Rei-chan."

Rei turned and saw that distinctive hairstyle, framing that always-welcome smile. "Just trying to clear my mind Usagi. It's a lot easier out here than inside with your endless chatter."

Usagi sat down. "Don't hide it from me Rei-chan, something troubles you." She waited a while, hoping the fire senshi would answer. Getting none, she tried to guess. "Ami-chan and the others are a little late. You're hoping nothing has happened to them. Is that it?"

"Ie, I stopped worrying about people being late some time ago," she turned with a little smirk on her lips, "I guess you wore it out of me."

"Yeah, I guess…Hey!" Usagi poked the shrine maiden in the ribs, she countered with a tickle attack. Usagi ended up yielding.

"The truth is Usagi, I'm a little concerned with Phobos and Deimos."

"Your crows?" Usagi looked up. There they were, circling over the shrine. They did seem a bit restless. "What's wrong with them?"

"I don't know. Remember that storm from the other night? They've been acting like that since then."

Usagi remembered that storm quite well. It was one of the worst she had ever seen in her life, including the ones created by youmas. The thunder frightened her so much she had to hold on to Mamoru all night. Hey, maybe it wasn't such a bad night after all. "Haven't they told you anything?"

"They can't talk like Luna or Artemis, Usagi."

"They can in their sprite form, ne?" All the senshi knew about the crows' ability, similar to the cats', although they rarely used it. "So, have they?"

"No they haven't." Rei looked up again. "In truth, I never needed for them to talk. We always knew what was in each other's hearts. When you're really close to someone, all you need is a glance to know what's going on," she turned to Usagi, "just like you do," the blonde girl smiled back. "But now I'm in a blank. It feels like they want to hide something from me."

They sat there for a while in silence, until Usagi looked up and saw four people approach. "Well, there's Mina-chan and the rest. Guess it's time for the powwow." As she got to her feet, she noticed that her friends looked a bit tired and Hotaru was in a sour mood. "What happened to you guys?"

"Oh, not much," Minako answered absently, "just a little fight with a daimon."

"And I had a duel with the Karasu," Hotaru added.

"Nani?" Setsuna had stepped out to greet Hotaru. She ran up to her and checked her with parental concern.

"Setsuna-mama, I'm all right," Hotaru assured her. "In truth, it wasn't more than a little scuffle. He didn't really try to hurt me."

"Not badly at least," Minako said, "although he did win the match by the looks of things." A dash of laughter mixed in with her words, "When we found Hotaru-chan she was-" She went dumb when Hotaru turned to look at her, her eyes flashing violet for an instant. "…er, with a badly bruised ego."

Rei held out her hand, "At any rate, let's get inside and you can tell us exactly what happened."

Once indoors, Makoto retold the encounter with the armadillo, while Ami and Setsuna made some last adjustment to the set.

"Finally, Karasu tells us where Hotaru-chan is and disappears before we can talk to him. Boy do my arms feel light."

"I guess that's proves it," Usagi said, "If he saved Mako-chan and the others, he has to be our ally."

"It doesn't prove that Usako." Usagi stared at her husband in surprise. "He did aid Makoto-tachi and saved several other people."

"He saved my skin twice I might add," Minako interrupted.

"But his actions at the hospital and at the alley where Haruka-tachi confronted him, say that his methods are quite questionable." Mamoru cupped his chin, "Not to mention that he tries to keep away from us. He has proved not to be our foe, but making him an ally will take much more work."

"A lot of work," Haruka piped up, "especially considering what he did to Hime-chan."

Hotaru had taken off her blazer. On her arms, the others could see a number of bruises and cuts. Nothing serious, but enough to enrage Haruka. "Haruka-papa, I attacked him. I thought he was going to kill those people and charged without bothering to find out." She rubbed her side wincing, "Plus, if he wanted to hurt me, I don't think I'd be here right now."

"Okay, we're ready here," Ami called out. Everyone turned their attention to the azure-haired girl. "Now, I called for this meeting because of this object I found at the hospital. As you can see from this insignia," she pointed at the whirlpool emblem, "we can tell who owns it." She turned on the set. On the screen, the silhouettes of the senshi appeared. Silver, gold, amber, red, all of their respective colors. Artemis noted that, while all the images were stable, Hotaru's figure was flickering somewhat. He was about to comment on this when Ami spoke again.

"When Setsuna-san and I first tried to analyze this thing. It short circuited and a good deal of components became useless."

"It must have been a safety mechanism so that we couldn't track down the maker." Setsuna continued. "Using the Mercury computer we've tried to rebuild it, but we could only get it to run at 60% of its capacity."

"So this is what you've gotten so far," Rei noted, "A Kirlian camera."

"Nope." The Emerald haired woman pulled out a crystal from the gadget and threw it at Rei. "We also found this."

Rei turned the crystal around for a while before asking. "And this is…"

"An energy-drainer." Ami answered. Rei dropped the thing like a hot potato. "Don't worry, it won't zap you completely. It's designed to take the life force away in a slow but steady pace. You don't feel anything, only minor drowsiness if you're exposed to it for an extended period."

Usagi picked up the crystal. "Very clever. Unlike Jadeite who had to put up a big show for his capers."

Haruka turned to Usagi. "Jadeite. Was that the guy who organized talent shows and sales to get life energy for Beryl?"

"Yep. The guy was so obvious that we could foil his plans in two wags of a cat's tail."

Luna eyed Usagi. "As I recall Usagi-chan, you were often suckered into Jadeite's plans."

"Hey! I was young and naïve back then," Usagi said to defend herself. This didn't keep the other from laughing though. "Laugh it up guys. I'm sure it's funny now."

After a while Rei took the crystal again. "But it doesn't make sense. Why take energy from a hospital? People there are in a weakened condition. Not much can be taken from them."

"Maybe the crystal just powers up that gizmo," said Minako.

"That's what we thought." Setsuna said, "Until we found out that it only uses a minimal amount of energy. The rest is sent somewhere else for some other purpose."

"Still. Placing an energy draining crystal at a hospital makes no sense." Rei repeated.

"I think the real purpose of this gadget has to do with this." Ami said as she tapped the screen. "What that purpose is exactly, I don't know."

"You think we might find more of these things elsewhere?" Makoto asked after a while.

"I'm almost positive," Ami replied, "I'm working on a sort of tracking program. But it will take some time."

Luna paid full attention to what Ami and Setsuna were saying, then she noticed that her mate kept staring at the TV. "Artemis-kun!" she scolded, "Are you paying attention?"

"I am Luna-chan," the white cat replied, "I don't think I like what I'm seeing."

Luna raised an eyebrow. What was Artemis talking about? She looked at the screen, "Oh."

"Changing the subject," Usagi started, "Setsuna-san, Haruka-san told us that you might know something about the kabuki guy with the crow."

"Hai," Haruka added, "The first time we saw him, you said something about other warriors before him being damned or something like that."

"If I didn't know you better Setsuna," Michiru commented, "I'd say you're afraid of telling us what you know."

Usagi stared at Setsuna with wide eyes, "You don't think he's a threat to us, ne?" she asked hopefully.

"And you still think he's an ally?" Haruka asked angrily "Usagi-chan, can't you stop being so naïve? We've all met him, and saw the way he acts. He will not work with us, even if you ask him."

Usagi gave Haruka a firm stare and calmly replied: "I believe that you should stop being so cynic," she looked at both Haruka and Michiru and grinned, "In truth, he reminds me of two people who would fight alone against all odds." Everyone turned to look at the two, Michiru in turn, glanced at her love. The ash-blonde pretended not to notice.

"People in glass houses shouldn't play ball, you know," Minako quoted.

"That's throw stones Mina-chan," Rei corrected. "And in my opinion. This Karasu fellow might actually need our help."

"Nani?"

"Are you saying he might be possessed by a youma or something of the sort?" Makoto asked.

"Ie. When I saw him at the theater. I felt a strong aura around him. It was extremely negative-"

"Told ya!" Haruka interrupted, "He's an enemy."

"I said negative Haruka not evil, there is a difference," Rei scolded, "What I felt from him was anger, sadness, fear and most of all: guilt."

Artemis walked up, "I don't know anything about psychology. But from the profile you just described, my guess is: he feels that he failed at something and must now make up for it."

"Don't guess Artemis-kun," Luna warned, "It is often the best way to make a mistake. And Setsuna-san, I think it's high time you tell us what you know."

Setsuna took a deep breath and sat down. "I guess there's no further avoiding this then."

Ami came over to her friend. "Setsuna-san, if you can't tell us anything because it might affect the timeline, we'll understand."

Setsuna smiled thankfully at her young friend, "Arigato Ami-chan. But that's not the reason I've been so reluctant." She rested her head between her hands. "My reasons for avoiding this, are not fear like Michiru suspects nor my habit of keeping you all guessing," she gave a small chuckle, "The truth is: I hardly know anything about Karasu and was too proud to admit my ignorance." Everyone was surprised. Something that the senshi of time didn't know? It wasn't a first but it was still surprising.

"But Setsuna-mama, how come you said those thing at the alley then?"

Setsuna took a more comfortable position and began her tale.

*****

Someplace in time:

In front of a carved door, holding a staff with a garnet jewel on top stood the guardian of time, Sailor Pluto. How long had it been since the destruction of the silver millenium? She really didn't want to know. And if she knew. What difference would it make? Out here, standing in the void of time, it could either be decades or seconds, they all felt the same.

Her only distraction was to look upon a tiny blue planet. Almost completely healed from the scars of a cosmic war. She witnessed mankind's struggle against the elements. Slowly recovering from losses unknown to them now. Finally, a few centuries ago, civilization had finally been achieved. She couldn't interact, she knew that all too well. But watching people go about their daily lives eased her solitude somehow. She wondered if she would ever be a part of something again. She was about to recall a pleasant anecdote from the Silver kingdom when she heard a thump on the door. She spun, ready for combat. No one, except the royal family, could approach the door. Whoever it was, should be prepared to fight. She found no one. Had it been just her imagination? Then she looked down and found a sort of pearl. It was mostly white, but changing colors swirled around. Beside it, wounded and unconscious, laid a crow.

*****

"You mean the one Karasu carries on his shoulder?" Hotaru interrupted.

"One like it Hime-chan. It would be too great a great coincidence if they were the same." Setsuna took a sip from her water, "And this is just the beginning."

*****

Pluto set the crow on her lap and began to pet it. She had torn a piece of the ribbon on the back of her fuku to bandage its wounded wing. She was hoping it would regain consciousness, and not peck her hands. She gave a breath of satisfaction when it opened its eyes and a gasp when she heard a voice in her mind: "{Who are you?}"

A moment later, after Pluto's heart regained it's normal pace and both revealed their identities.

"{The Moon kingdom? I thought that no one had survived the war}."

"One survived," Pluto stated sadly. "But I don't blame you for believing that. After all, being messengers of death, your people must have had a heavy duty to accomplish."

"{Oh, I wouldn't know personally}," the messenger corrected. "{I hatched only recently. About the Moon princess and senshi I have only heard tales}." He hopped closer. "{Tell me. Was it as beautiful as I've heard?}"

Pluto gave a sad smile. "More beautiful than you can imagine." She closed her eyes, "The palaces, the people, every tree, all there was; words alone could never describe it."

The messenger nodded "{But tell me Lady Pluto. How is it that you managed to escape?}" Pluto gave the messenger a quick glare. "{No offense, I mean not to call you a coward, er, that is…}"

Pluto gave a kind smile "Don't worry. I myself wonder if I should have thought more of my friends than my duty." There was a pause. "I suppose I am a coward for not staying."

The messenger pecked himself mentally, "{If my inquiring bothers you Lady Pluto-}"

"No, It's all right." She took a minute to calm down. "As the senshi Pluto, it is my duty to guard the time gate," she signaled the intricately carved door, "No one is able to enter this realm, at least that's how it's supposed to be." Pluto now took the turn to question him. "And you. How is it that you ended up here of all places?"

"Well," the messenger shrugged "My kind is able to cross between worlds. That of the living and the spiritual one."

Pluto narrowed her eyes. "This neither of them though."

"{Well…I'm still new at these assignments. This load was particularly heavy, my wings got tired and I…}"

*****

"You got lost?" Carlos made no attempt to hide his laughter. "The Guardian? The one who's supposed to be my guide and advisor made a wrong turn?"

Guardian waited patiently. He needed the warrior to dispel his excess anger, and making fun of others usually did the trick. "{Should I continue the narrative? Or shall you keep up the hyena impression?}" Carlos signaled for him to go on as the laughing faded. Guardian continued.

*****

Pluto looked at the pearl that the messenger said was his load to carry. "You say this was too heavy?" The pearl was no bigger than a bead, "It doesn't seem to be."

"{Appearances and realities are different things}," the messenger responded, "{try lifting it}."

Pluto did so and her arm almost fell off! "This thing weighs a ton! What the hell is it made of?"

"{That pearl is the soul of a soldier who died in a war. As he died, he thought of his family and friends. His wife, child, those he couldn't protect. All of this clings to the soul, making mine a harder journey}." Pluto listened as she rubbed her sore arm. "{But the worse part is hearing it's weeping}."

"Weeping?"

"{You can't hear it?}" Pluto shook her head. "{I shouldn't be surprised}," the messenger reflected, "{When someone dies, they lament those opportunities they never took in life. It is a mournful and nearly endless weeping}." The messenger sighed, "{You're lucky you can't hear it}."

"Not necessarily," Pluto retorted. The messenger gave a confused look. She explained, "Look around you. Nothing exists here, it is infinite and empty," sadness appeared in her voice, "I have been alone here for who knows how long. Even the cries of a child would be welcome." She got up and stood proudly, "But I am the guardian of time. My duty is to guard this gate, no matter what I feel." A brave statement, one that didn't convince her much.

The messenger listened carefully. "{Not all company is a blessing Lady Pluto. My brothers and sisters often mock me because of my empathy}." He looked at the pearl, "{We are supposed to carry these from one world to the next without displaying any emotion. And as much as I dislike it, this is how it must be}." They looked into each other's eyes. "{Ours are truly ungrateful destinies}."

*****

Everyone in the living room felt Setsuna's sadness, even Haruka, who wouldn't show it. Usagi on the other hand let her tears flow freely, Setsuna took notice of this.

"That was long ago princess. I have all of you now. There's no need for me to be alone again."

"I know," Usagi, sobbed as Mamoru gently wiped away a tear, "It's just that I, well, you know."

"Well, you know what they say. It's a dirty job, but it has to be done," Minako quoted.

"That's not how it goes," Ami pointed out, "And I even doubt if it's well applied."

"I really hate to be so pushy Setsuna-san," Makoto interjected, "But you still haven't mentioned the Karasu fellow."

"I haven't forgotten. And the next part of the story covers it."

*****

Time passed, and the messenger's wing healed. It was an enjoyable experience for both. The messenger related few, but very amusing anecdotes. Pluto had shown him different time periods through the gate, even the Silver kingdom. The messenger was amazed at such magnificence. Neither of them wanted this to end, but they had responsibilities.

"Are you sure you'll be able to complete the journey?" Pluto asked concerned.

"{After all this rest, certainly}." He looked at his cargo, "{I wonder if this one will become one of them}," he murmured.

"What was that?"

"{Uh, nothing, it's just…}" Pluto pierced him with an insisting glare, he sighed in resignation. "{Sometimes souls this heavy escape to the world of the living. They wander around aimlessly trying to correct their wrongs. They become what mortals call ghosts}." He picked up the pearl. "{Sometimes the soul is so heavy that it is given the chance to truly return and rid themselves of the pain by correcting their wrongs. But I have over stayed my welcome}." The messenger opened his wings and took flight.

"Matte!" Pluto called out, "What do you mean by returning?"

"{That I can't reveal}." He made one final roundabout to say goodbye. "{Of all the mistakes I have made and will, this one I'll cherish. Farewell Lady Pluto}."

The time senshi sighed in resignation. "Goodbye friend. I hope our paths cross again." {Not too soon though}. She watched the crow fly until he was a black speck in the void of time, then it was gone. And once again, she was alone.

*****

Carlos kept quiet for nearly a half-hour. "You never saw her again?"

"{After my little 'vacation', I received a severe reprimand}," Guardian answered, "{I never again erred my path}."

"Why not see her now?" Carlos suggested, "You've got a little more leeway now, right?"

"{I am your Guardian now, warrior. I have a more important responsibility. And, as I said before, we mustn't risk-}"

"Risk the New Kingdom, blah, blah, blah." Carlos huffed. He really didn't want a lecture right now. "So that's how Pluto knows about me. She's seen other warriors through her time gate."

"{I suppose she has, since I never specified}."

Carlos fell silent. He gazed at the city through a hole in the wall. He thought of what the story said and what it meant to him. He rose and picked up his katana.

"{Where are you going?}"

"I'm going to do what I'm supposed to, make things right." He stopped at the threshold and looked back. "Coming with me?"

Something in Karasu's voice made Guardian feel a little less nervous. Maybe he was beginning to understand. "{To aid and guide warrior, as always}."

*****

"There's a little epilogue to this tale." Setsuna continued, "After the messenger left, I felt curious from what he said about bringing back souls."

Haruka and Michiru gave an incredulous stare. "You mean you made us wait for that fable and you can't tell us anything about Karasu?" The former demanded.

"I didn't say that," Setsuna replied calmly, "I searched all over the time stream for them, past present and future. Unlike other situations, were I could find something or someone with just a glance. This investigation was nearly futile."

"Oh," Haruka blushed slightly at her outburst.

"I don't get it though," Mamoru wondered, "You are able to see important events that will take place in world history. These warriors must have a minor importance. At least you could have foreseen us meeting one."

"I couldn't understand it myself. Then I realized that it must have something to do with the fact that they've already died," Setsuna explained, "They are not fully reborn, they are in a between world phase."

Hotaru snapped her fingers, "He's an undead! Once dead, now reborn." Everyone looked at Hotaru curiously. "When I introduced myself as the senshi of death and rebirth, he thought that I was of his kind." She gave a sarcastic, short laugh, "I've been called many things, but this is the first time I'm compared to a zombie."

Minako checked out her youngest friend, "Well, it's nothing a weekend at the beach can't fix. But, go on Setsuna-san."

Setsuna cleared her throat and continued, "It took plenty of luck to find just a few of these warriors throughout the ages." She sighed, "Being witness to their acts didn't turn out so fortunate."

"What do you mean?" Rei inquired.

Setsuna took the last sip of her water, this was the part she didn't want to recall, but there was no turning back. "When the messenger mentioned the possibility of people coming back to correct their mistakes, I got quite hopeful. But when I found them, it was a major disappointment." She took a deep breath, {Okay, here goes}. "These souls returned as murderers. They came back only to take lives. All of the ones I've seen we're devoid of compassion had no regrets towards ending a life. Most kept under control, taking only selected targets and then leaving again." Her eyes darkened at this point, "But one in particular lost his way and mind, becoming a ruthless killing machine. I don't know what doom was bestowed on them, but I could find no reason for them becoming murderers."

"Couldn't you look back in time and find out what exactly had happened to them?" Rei asked.

"You think I didn't try? I know a lot of things Rei-chan but not everything. I would've had to leave the time gate in order to find out more about them." Setsuna threw her head back, "Frankly, most of my knowledge about this case is based on assumption."

Michiru approached Setsuna, "Back at the alley you warned Karasu about risking his soul. You made Haruka and I think you knew a lot about this."

"That was simple logic," Setsuna replied. "Think about it. If you came back to life, and used what little time you had to murder. Where would you end up?" Michiru just nodded, the answer was all too obvious.

Artemis huffed and banged his tail on the table, "The part I don't understand is: Why do they become killers? Don't you have any idea Setsuna-san?" The mocha-skinned woman shook her head.

Two new voices came from the door, "Perhaps we will be able to clear that doubt." Everyone turned and saw two young women standing among the threshold. They were like two drops of water, Black eyes and long dark hair. Each of them held a long black feather in one hand. The only difference between them was the suits they wore: one blue, the other red. On their chest, an elongated six-pointed star.

Most of the senshi were at a loss, but Rei recognized them immediately, "Phobos, Deimos."

"Gomen nasai Princess Mars. We didn't mean to worry you so much," Phobos began.

"But we needed to wait until everyone was present, so that all of you would learn at once about the warrior and the guardian," Deimos concluded.

Minako and Rei made room for the twins, who sat down in perfect synch. They gave the explanation speaking alternately or simultaneously. Listening to their voices was a bit confusing and Usagi even got dizzy.

"We know much about the subject, because messengers and guardians hail from the same planet as we do, Coronis. Actually, nearly all of Coronis' population consists on messengers."

"As a matter of fact, Phobos and I used to perform the task of carrying souls to the land of the dead. Before we were summoned to the Silver kingdom."

Rei gasped at this revelation, "You were messengers?" the twins nodded, "Did you ever send a soul back?"

Phobos shook her head, "We never had the need, or the chance, to become guardians. We were called to your side shortly after coming of age. But we're not clearing your doubts. Princess Pluto, the warriors can be ruthless in battle, but they are not completely devoid of compassion. They are avatars of vengeance, but it is also their nature to protect innocents."

"Artemis' deduction was quite accurate," Deimos pointed out, "The majority of warriors lost their lives at wars or murders, often witnessing the death of their loved ones. They accuse themselves of failing to protect them and fan their rage towards the ones who took their lives."

"When the warrior returns, on the anniversary of its demise, he is like a newborn. His memories are blocked and he is completely disoriented. All of this, plus the remorse Deimos mentioned, drive the warrior to the border of insanity."

"And the strength they posses makes them all the more dangerous," Michiru commented somberly.

Mamoru scratched his chin. "Since their lives were taken with violence, they will exact vengeance with even more violence. It becomes to them a second nature."

"One that will eventually destroy them," Usagi completed. She gave the twins a punishing glance, "If your people know about this, why do you keep sending them back? Don't you see you are condemning them to a worse fate?"

"It is not our choice alone," Deimos retorted gently, "There are…other beings involved in these matters. And it is the warrior who makes the final choice, whether to return or not."

"And they do not return without guidance. That is the role of the guardian."

Haruka smirked, "I guess that's the crow that sits on his shoulder. And I thought he was just talking to an imaginary friend."

"Guardians and messengers communicate through telepathy," Phobos explained, "We can't talk normally in our animal guise like Luna and Artemis, simply because we don't have lips."

"But why didn't you use that ability to communicate with me?" Rei asked, "After awakening as Sailor Mars, it wouldn't have surprised me much."

Deimos blushed slightly. "Actually, we've spent so much time living as normal crows, that we've forgotten how to do it." Phobos elbowed her sister; there went a bit of their pride.

"Guardian has the duty to guide the warrior to were his enemies are. He also acts as a teacher, advisor and a conscience of sorts. Unfortunately, a guardian can only interfere through words, not actions. And once the warrior makes a choice, he cannot stop him."

Minako nodded her head vigorously, "It's not like he could do much anyway, I mean, he's only a bird about this big."

The twins narrowed their eyes at Minako. So did the cats, that size comment was also offensive to them.

"As crows," Phobos replied coolly, "we have talons and a beak. And we are more than just 'birds about this big'."

"And these claws can do a little more than scratching, Aino-san," Artemis added. Minako gulped at the subtle threat.

Deimos held out her hand asking for the others to calm down. "The rule of 'no interference', is the reason why some warriors become so heartless. But let me set straight, such cases are rarities and only one warrior, the one Princess Pluto saw, became totally evil."

There was a moment of silence after that statement. What was worse? To come back for a chance to redeem yourself and end up losing your mind and soul. Or being the one in charge of guiding a person, but not be able to do anything if said person goes astray?

Usagi got up, time to assume her role as a leader. "Now that we have the knowledge, we know how to act. Ami-chan, Setsuna-san. Do you think it will take too long to make that tracking program?"

"Not that long," Ami answered, "I work better under pressure you know."

"Okay. I will work with the inner senshi searching out these drones and whoever is sending them."

Mamoru got up and placed a hand on Usagi's shoulder. "I in turn will aid Karasu," he glanced at the twins, "I don't think there's a rule that stops us from helping." The twins nodded. Mamoru turned to Hotaru. "Hotaru-chan, I'd like you and the outers to help me with this." The outer senshi nodded their agreement.

"Don't worry Mamoru-kun," Haruka smirked, "If that kid gets out of line, we'll scare him straight."

Mamoru frowned, the outers' instinctive distrust was the reason he chose them to aid him. He was going to scold Haruka, but someone beat him to it.

"Do you have to think ill of everyone Haruka-papa? You could at least give him one chance, ne?"

Everyone stared at the young girl in surprise. To anyone else, the tone of her voice wouldn't have sounded that harsh. But for someone who knew Hotaru, it was an extreme shock. Hotaru didn't notice their stares, she was looking away. Either she didn't realize what she had done, or didn't care. And that last option was unthinkable.

Mamoru continued, "Phobos-san, Deimos-san, I would appreciate it if you would help us by finding Karasu. That is, if it's okay with Rei-chan."

The twins got up and bowed their heads. "Gomen nasai your highness," Phobos said, "but we can aid you no further."

"Even though we are no longer messengers, the laws of Coronis still apply to us. The guardian must guide the warrior alone and no one of his kind may help him. But we will help, {it's high time we do}, as long as it doesn't affect the warrior directly." The future rulers nodded in understanding.

It was time for everyone to go home. As the twins stepped outside, Rei called out from behind.

"Phobos, Deimos, matte," the twins turned, it surprised them to see Rei a bit nervous. "Look, I don't know whether these transformations tire you or you can only do it a limited number of times. But, we've been through so much together, and after this is over, I was hoping…"

Phobos and Deimos shared a glance, smiled to each other then back at the young maiden, "We can take this form as speak as often as we want. And you are right, we have lot to catch up on."

Rei's face brightened. Before the trio realized it, they were holding each other in a tight embrace. Each of them felt as if she had just found some long lost friend. Rei kept her eyes closed through the embrace, and then she felt the twins vanish. Startled, she opened her eyes and found them perched on her arms, in their crow forms. The shrine maiden gave them an understanding smile as they flew off. Reunions would have to wait. For now, there was work to be done.

"Artemis-kun, we're leaving," Minako called. For some reason Artemis and Luna were stalling, which was rare for those two.

"Hai, I'll be right there. Ami-chan, I noticed you connected the VCR to that gadget. Were you taping the images by any chance?"

"Hai, for some reason the image became clearer while the recording functioned."

"Good, take the tape to central control later. There's something on it that Luna-chan and I would like to check out. And I'd like you to see it too."

"Okay, I'll tell Setsuna-san and-"

"Ie!" Luna exclaimed, "Don't tell Setsuna-san. Don't let any of the outers know about this."

Ami was surprised at this petition. "But why? Is there something wrong?"

"We don't know if it's something wrong," the black cat answered more calmly, "but until we know exactly what it is. I don't want to get the outers any more worried.

Ami nodded. {New riddles, at least this one concerns only me}.

*****

Outers' manor:

Hotaru poured one more bucketful of water over her head, rinsing away the last of the soap. One quick soak in the furo and she was done. A sharp pain ran down the side of her body as she got up. She checked the area where Karasu had kicked her. The bruise wasn't that large, but it looked a sickly purple and yellow. In truth, it looked a lot worse than it really was. Hotaru's sense of pain said otherwise.

She could place her hand on it and heal it, but she decided some time ago not to use her healing powers unless it was a real emergency. E. G. Minako's shoulder wound, or her being too wounded to keep on fighting. But something like this, she could definitely survive. All she needed was a nice hot bath.

As the warm water soothed her aches, she thought about the Karasu and all that the twins had said. She had to admit, like the bird he was named after, Karasu was clever. Using the katana as a lightning rod was brilliant, and luring her to a trap back at the warehouse was also a good move. She sank when she recalled the humiliating position she had been in.

{You have one of the cutest butts I have seen}. She made a fist as she remembered those words. {Karasu may not be foe, but somehow he's going to pay for that insult}. She then relaxed a bit. {Was it an insult? His tone sounded a bit too…playful. Was it actually a compliment?}

It was time to get out of the furo. As Hotaru dried herself, she caught a glimpse of her figure in the mirror. Feeling a bit embarrassed, she observed more closely. Her womanhood was like a violet, shy and discreet. While her face still kept the angelic innocence of childhood. Truthfully she deserved any compliment, she was beautiful. Hotaru however, was blind to all this. Years of verbal abuse and mistreatment had given her a somewhat low opinion of herself. She shook her head sadly. {Surely there's nothing about me that's attractive}. As she left the bathroom, she remembered something else she had been told.

{A girl with your looks must have a whole fleet of lulls behind her all the time.}

Hotaru had just finished putting on her nightgown when she heard a knock on the door, "Hime-chan," it was Setsuna, "Are you still awake?"

"Hai, come in."

Setsuna walked into the room and closed the door behind her. Hotaru felt a chill run down her spine when she saw the look on her face. It was the kind of look that makes children think: there's trouble and it's me.

"Hime-chan, I want to talk to you about the way you told off Haruka today."

Hotaru was surprised. "Told off? When, why would I do something like that?"

"An hour ago when you said Haruka shouldn't be so untrusting. The tone of your voice wasn't that rude, but there was some anger in it. In fact, your behavior has been rather, difficult, as of late."

Hotaru kept silent for a minute, thinking her response over. "I didn't realize I acted that way," she started getting up, "I better go and apologize to Haruka-papa."

Setsuna stopped her, "That will have to wait until tomorrow. She and Michiru have already gone to bed."

Hotaru sat down again. "As for the way I've been acting. I guess I've been in a foul mood because I haven't been sleeping well." She rubbed her temple, "I've having nightmares these last few days."

"Nightmares?" Setsuna was getting worried now. Among the senshi, dreams were often equal to flashbacks or premonitions.

"Well not nightmares exactly." {With nightmares, you wake up scared; from these dreams, I've woken up either sad or enraged}. She tried, but failed at holding back a yawn. "Could we talk about this tomorrow Setsuna-mama? I feel sleepy."

"Of course," she bent over and kissed Hotaru's forehead, "Sweet dreams Hime-chan."

As she walked to her room, Setsuna pondered about what Hotaru had said. Lack of sleep is a normal cause for foul behavior. But the truth was, Hotaru had been displaying a temper for longer than 'the last few days'. The first incident they noticed was over a year ago, when she lost her temper at some kid teasing her. They were actually glad that happened, it meant Hotaru wouldn't let herself be a pushover. Sometime later, Ami had told them about Hotaru losing her temper again. Haruka shrugged and said that chibi-Hime-chan was becoming a teenager, it was probably just hormones. Back then, those incidents were isolated and easily taken for granted. But now they occurred more often. {We should have done something earlier. And now we have to deal with Karasu and the drones}. Setsuna banged her head on the door to her room. Each and every senshi knew that her duties overweight her personal life. Nevertheless, she hated to prioritize anything above Hotaru's well being. She banged her head again for not acting when she should have.

Setsuna sighed and went into her room. Once this case was solved, the three of them could concentrate on Hotaru. After all, with Pluto here, they had all the time in the world.

*****

Whirlpool compound:

A large metallic door slid open and five drones leaped into the room. They saw their target standing in the center. They charged as one, surrounding their victim completely. Some slashes, a few chirps, punches and kicks later; five more carcasses were added to the pile.

From an observation booth above, Hawkins watched along with two of his assistants. One of them spoke into the microphone.

"Status?"

"Enough with the warm-ups. Give me something I can sink my teeth into."

Hawkins nodded, "Raise the level by two."

The assistant complied. "I must say Dr. Hawkins, the subject is passing the endurance test with much better results than expected. Think we could call it a night?"

Hawkins responded negatively, "Mr. Poe wants a complete report on his abilities. The endurance test won't stop until he runs out." All three of them jumped back in fright when the top half of a drone smashed into the window. Hawkins re-approached cautiously. Through the green stain he could see that his subject was still going strong. He gulped, "We're going to need coffee."