Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter seven:

"Death scream."

Pluto's attacks weren't all that effective. Apparently all of the drones had heard the previous chirp and had switched to wider formations. But since her talisman wasn't that useful in hand to hand combat, she kept attacking from a distance.

Saturn was having no problem. Maybe it was her fury, but she twirled her glaive and moved in a beautiful and lethal dance. One by one the drones fell. "First they attack a hospital and now a school. Who are these people?" she asked as she beheaded another drone.

"I truly don't know," Pluto responded, "for the first time in eons I must guess what will happen."

One more drone was about to bite the dust when a second, more piercing chirp was heard.

"Death-YAAH!"

"WHERE IS THAT NOISE COMING FROM?" The chirp was short but quite painful. Saturn and Pluto where forced to close their eyes. When it finally stopped and they opened their eyes they saw the drones departing. One of them flew right besides Pluto and just ignored her.

By this point, Saturn was just too confused and angry. "What is this? They're leaving just like that?"

"That call we heard obviously meant retreat," observed Pluto, "and if the conclusions we came up with previously are correct. The enemies' mission has now been accomplished."

Saturn's eyes widened in shock. If slaying children was simply a distraction. What could their true mission be? Her grip on the Silence Glaive tightened.

"Saturn," the youngest senshi started when she felt Pluto's hand on her shoulder, "We mustn't delay. We must think of the survivors and you are the only one who can help them at this point."

"Hai," Saturn set her glaive on the ground and started concentrating. Pluto could see violet strands of energy starting to gather around. Suddenly, Saturn's eyes snapped open and the energy vanished.

"Saturn, what's wrong?" Pluto asked perplexed.

Saturn took a few steps in an uncertain direction. She felt something. But she couldn't tell what it was or how she felt it. Without warning she sprinted.

"Saturn! Where are you going?"

"I don't know!"

Paul had trained most of his life in kung fu; he'd even developed his own style. Karasu only mimicked what he saw in movies and TV shows. But his supernatural abilities more than made up for his lack of skill. In truth, even though Karasu was mopping the floor with Paul, he was having some difficulty.

Paul fell for the fourth time. Karasu kneeled beside him. "Didn't you say you taught Chris what he knew? I must be getting a lot better than I thought."

Paul answered with a growl, "So far you've proven to be strong, but your technique leaves a lot to be desired," he sighed in disappointment, "Fighting you didn't turn out to be such an honorable experience-urk!"

"Don't talk to me about honor!" Karasu raised Paul by the neck. His eyes getting blacker as he spoke. "Your sick philosophy sickens me. If you knew what it is you truly do…" a sadistic leer came to Carlos' features "In fact let me present to you those souls you've been so kind to." He dropped Paul like a heap of trash and was about to place his hand on him.

"Silence Glaive surprise!"

Stones from behind him suddenly showered Carlos. He turned to see his attacker. "You again? Can't you sell cookies like normal girl scouts?"

Saturn rolled her eyes at the lame insult, but kept her glaive pointed straight at Carlos. "I don't know if you are my enemy, my ally or just a pain in the neck. But the one beside you holds the answers that we need. So step away, slowly."

Karasu stomped on Paul's stomach. "This guy is a murderer and I'm the one who will make him pay." He unsheathed his katana and pointed it at Saturn. "I don't care if we're the same kind. Beat it."

Saturn responded by rushing forward and taking a swing with her glaive. Karasu gave a wide jump backwards. He remembered all too well what a senshi's weapon could do to him.

"First of all, I'm not an undead, and don't you dare call me that either. Second, killing this man will hinder our plans and probably do you more harm than you may think."

Karasu took a fighting stance, "You want to end up head over heels again? Be my guest." He charged at Saturn, planning to knock her unconscious and then finish off Paul. The silent senshi had gotten wise to his moves though. She easily sidestepped the attack, throwing Karasu off balance. He quickly recovered and threw a kick, which Saturn barely blocked.

Kashaku watched as the match continued. More than a fight, they looked like two children roughhousing.

Saturn caught Karasu's coat with the curve of her glaive and pulled it over his head. Suddenly blinded, he could do nothing but stumble around. Saturn swiped his legs causing him to fall face first. She stepped away and watched from behind as he tried to get up.

"My oh my, you do fill out those pants quite well." Karasu pulled his coat away from his face and glared at Saturn, she retorted with a kawaii smile. "We're even," she announced as she stuck out her tongue. Karasu decided to laugh along with her.

"Indeed we are." His expression changed as he looked around anxiously. "Where's Paul?"

"Nani?"

"The guy I was about to kill!"

Saturn looked, Paul had indeed escaped. "Damn it! We needed him for questioning."

Karasu growled. "Hijo de perra's still wearing that ring." He gave Saturn a menacing look. "I hope you're proud of what you've done."

"Me? I was covering him when you charged at me."

"Well, he shouldn't have gone far. I can still find him through crow-vision," he went off in Paul's pursuit.

"Oh no, you're not vanishing this time," Saturn ran after Karasu.

Unseen, Pluto followed the pair. She witnessed the entire encounter, but did not interfere. Being responsible for the time gate often meant having to stay at the sidelines. But this time she was bonded by something she rarely felt, uncertainty.

Mercury and Jupiter searched the area for survivors. So far, their efforts had proven futile.

Jupiter found another cleaved corpse. "It's no use. If there are any survivors, they're probably already with the ones outside."

"Hai," Mercury answered in defeat. She and Jupiter were about to leave when a yelp came out of somewhere. "Did you hear that?"

"Hai!" Jupiter responded as they started searching. Soon they found a thirteen-year-old cowering in a corner. In front of him were his friends, all dead. He couldn't do anything for them and all he could do now was shiver. He winced at Jupiter's touch, "Is he hurt?"

"Not physically at least," Mercury answered, "Better get him outside with the others."

Outside, the rest of the senshi had reunited. Neptune and Venus were apart, tending the injured along with Shigeru.

Uranus approached Sailor Moon. "I took a look at the number of survivors. It seems that the majority made it out safely."

"What about the ones who didn't?" she asked somberly, "The ones who we were too late to save."

"Princess, try to make the best of the situation. Some were lost true, but we still managed to come out ahead." Uranus slapped herself mentally when Sailor Moon retorted with an appalled glare. At times like these she wished she could be more sensitive.

"That's your philosophy? 'Some people died. But hey! We whacked a lot of monsters'," Sailor Moon clenched her fists. Tuxedo Kamen came close to comfort her. "I know I have to be strong. No matter how many are lost, I must look after to ones who still live," she stared at Uranus straight in the eye, "But I can't be made of stone. I can't help feeling other people's pain."

Uranus said nothing. She remained speechless whenever Sailor Moon displayed this behavior, the one of a true queen. And day-by-day it was occurring more often.

"Hey! We've got a live one here." Mercury's voice got everyone's attention. She was coming out of the building. Behind her was Jupiter, carrying the pre-teen, who was white as a ghost.

Everyone ran over to them. Then Mars noticed something amiss, "Jupiter, behind you!"

"Nani?" Before she realized what was happening. Someone knocked her down and grabbed the boy. She grunted both from the pain and the fact that they now had a hostage situation.

Normally, Paul would never even think of taking a hostage. Putting anyone through this kind of ordeal was against everything he believed. But his survival instincts were overriding his senses. He had to get out, no matter what. "Everyone stay cool, or I snap his neck in a second. Understood?"

The senshi tried edging closer, but when they saw Paul tighten his grip around the boy's neck they halted. Sailor Moon kept approaching however, very carefully.

"Please. If you wish for your freedom we grant it to you. But let the child go. There's no need for more lives to be taken."

"Don't give me that kind of bullshit," Paul retorted, "I know how negotiators work. I've dealt with them before. It's all lies. The minute I let go of him, you will be all over me and ready to blast me apart."

"Ie!" Sailor Moon was trying her best not to lose control of the situation. She had never dealt with hostages before. "Look, I understand you need a guarantee for your safety. But we need one for his." She gave him a stern look. "How can we be sure he'll survive?"

Paul looked back into the princess' eyes. He realized that part of her spirit was that of a warrior, and as such, she understood honor. "All I can give you is my word as a fighter."

"So you just give a promise and we let you go?" Uranus exclaimed, "Fat chance of that buster."

"Uranus, please!"

"I give my word that I will release my hostage once I'm sure of my safety." Paul stated, "Do you accept this?" Sailor Moon thought carefully. She didn't want more lives lost. She was about to respond when…

"He won't let him live. Not after this."

Everyone turned around. Most of the senshi recognized the dark clothed youth that carried a katana in his right hand. Following him came Saturn.

"He'll kill him, that's the only thing we can be certain about," Karasu stated, giving Paul that cold, dark stare.

Sailor Moon turned back to Paul. She could see that he was becoming more anxious. {Ie, ie, ie! Everything was working out all right}.

Tuxedo Kamen spoke to Karasu, "You stay out of this and let us work this out. Understood?"

Karasu answered, but didn't turn away from Paul. "I know how Paul thinks. I'm the best man for the job here." He took a step towards Paul, "You take pride in being an honorable fighter, right? What honor is there in hiding behind children?"

Saturn got closer to the warrior, "What are you trying to do? Get him killed?" she scolded.

"Shut up. This is your fault. Remember?" he muttered back.

Paul's expression softened, then he answered calmly: "There is none." The senshi were surprised to see Paul release the boy, Uranus sprinted and took him away. "You are shrewd when the need arises, Karasu no shi," he took a fighting stance, "I correct myself, it will be an honor to fall before you."

Karasu planted his sword on the ground, "Then let's continue where we left off."

The senshi watched in amazement as the two fought. Paul was fighting with renewed confidence, and so was Karasu. Uranus wasn't too thrilled though.

"This is crazy. We should stop those two. If Karasu kills the other guy, we'll loose our only lead to the drones."

"Hai, we will," Tuxedo Kamen said, "but you heard what they said. This is their fight and we mustn't interfere, no matter the outcome."

"Is it me, or are you getting better at this?" Karasu asked as he threw a roundhouse kick.

Paul gave an uppercut while answering, "It is all about motivation. I fight for what I know is right."

"Really? So you think it's right to kill children?"

"When their innocence and freedom is stolen, yes. It is the most compassionate thing you can do for them." Paul grabbed Karasu and threw him over his shoulder. The warrior got up, showing his back to Paul.

"Oh yes, scars made to the soul can never be healed," Karasu's tone was both sarcastic and menacing,

"Experiences like this haunt us in nightmares forever. It is an act of kindness and charity to take these wretches out of this world of cruelty," Paul charged and threw a punch, Karasu caught Paul's arm under his own.

"You already told me that Paul. One year ago. When you hunted us down! WHEN YOU TOOK MY SISTER AWAY!" Paul's eyes widened when he heard that bit of information. Vague memories surfaced in his mind. Karasu flexed his fingers, "Here, let me show you what I mean." He placed his hand over Paul's face. Paul shook for a few seconds before Karasu dropped him on the floor, unconscious. The undead teen just stood there with a dazed look, "Whoa, you really are screwed up," he shrugged, "oh well, let's get this over with." The raised his foot and hovered it right above the fallen man's head.

"Hold!" Pluto stepped forward, "You've already beaten him. There's no need for you to slay him."

"Yes there is," Karasu stated, "I want to get back where I belong as soon as possible and this is the only way I can do it."

"Ie, it's not. If you would only listen to us-"

"Look, you may be friends with my guardian but that doesn't make you mine."

Kashaku ruffled his feathers, "{Warrior, hush!}"

"Nani?" Pluto's eyes widened, "Behind you!"

"Qué?"

A blue drone, with extra large wings rushed towards Karasu and clawed his torso open. He fell back about six feet, blood gushing like a fountain. Then it spun and grabbed the unconscious Paul.

"Ie!" Sailor Moon rushed over to Karasu, as well as the other senshi. Everyone ignored the drone as it flew away. Tuxedo Kamen got to him first and had to make a quick sidestep when Karasu pulled out a gun right in his face.

"Jeez!"

He fired at the drone like crazy. But the pain running through his body caused him to miss. He stopped after a while and took several deep breaths. He looked around and saw all of the senshi staring at him. They witnessed in horror and disgust as his entrails crawled back into place and the large gash over his chest healed and disappeared without leaving a trace. Everyone was speechless, even Venus and Uranus, who had been expecting something, like this. Karasu noted how all ten heroes, Mercury and Neptune had arrived a few moments earlier, stared at him. He just ignored them and walked over to pick up his katana.

"If regeneration disgusts you so much, you may not want to hang around me. This happens to me very often."

"Ie," Sailor Moon blushed thinking she may have insulted Karasu by staring, "it's just that-"

A yelp caught everyone's attention. It was the boy Paul had been holding hostage. He suddenly went into a seizure!

"Kami! Mercury, Saturn get over here!" Uranus called.

Karasu stood still while everyone else ran over to help. This was a perfect opportunity for his vanishing trick. But then he caught a glimpse of the boy's face. This whole ordeal had taken a heavy toll on him. He turned away, his business was vengeance. A year or two of therapy and the kid would be all right. {There's no need and I don't wish to help that wimp}, he thought as he headed over to lend a hand. {Pinche conscience of mine}.

Mercury and Saturn tried their best at helping the lad. The rest of the senshi gathered round. No one could do anything.

"There's not much we can do for him," Mercury said, "The only way we can help is by staying with the students while an ambulance arrives."

Saturn twisted her hands over the glaive, "Moments like these make me feel so useless. What good is it to have this power if its purpose is to destroy?" Sailor Moon walked over to comfort her young friend when she was pushed aside.

"Out of my way," Karasu shouted as he shoved his way between Jupiter and Sailor Moon.

"Hey!"

"Baka!"

Karasu ignored their protests and kept going. Someone stopped him by holding his arm, it was Uranus.

"If you think I'm letting you near that kid. You've got another thing coming."

Karasu pulled himself free, "You want that kid to end up in a loony bin? Stand aside!"

Uranus didn't answer, but followed him. This lady needed a lesson in trust badly. Although so far, Karasu had given no real reason to be trusted.

The warrior approached the trio. The two senshi watched him warily, Saturn more so. Her ribs were still aching.

"Step away from the kid. And be careful not to touch us," Karasu warned, in a loud voice so everyone could hear, "I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing here."

Mercury and Saturn looked at each other uncertain. Moments ago, his voice sounded like an echo from hell. Now, it was more peaceful, although not human. Still, they did as they were told.

"Remember mister," Saturn warned, "I'm keeping my eye on you."

"It's the make up," Karasu quipped, "makes me more irresistible." He placed his hand on the boy's forehead and braced himself, whatever was going to happen it would hurt him. He winced the second the process started; the kid however had a more violent reaction. Uranus got the wrong impression.

"I knew it!" She charged towards Karasu. The moment she touched him, her face showed pure terror. "IE!" She jerked her hand away as if she had touched a hot iron bar. She then fell to the ground gripping herself.

"Uranus!" Neptune rushed over to her love. She saw the look on her face. Her eyes were wide, as if she had seen something terrifying. In fact, she was nearly crying. "What did you do to her?"

Saturn was about to slice Karasu in half when a strong grip stopped her, Pluto.

"Hey, I warned you not to touch me. What happened was her fault only," he answered non-challantly.

Mercury looked at the kid again. He was unconscious, but now his face emanated peace. Despite all that he just went through. "What did you do exactly?"

"Took away his fear," Karasu responded "He'll be fine by the time he wakes up."

"Took away his fear?" Sailor Mars asked as she approached, "What are you talking about?"

Karasu explained, "It's kind of an ability I have, one that I don't fully understand. It happened for the first time the other night while I bandaged that girl. I've kept doing it from time to time."

Venus snapped her fingers, "So that's why I feel so calm," she muttered.

"But what about Uranus?" Neptune demanded, Uranus was now recovering, "Why did she react the way she did?"

The undead shrugged, "I guess she absorbed some of it when she touched me. I honestly had no control over that." He then gave Uranus a mischievous grin, "Thanks for the assist though." She narrowed her eyes at that comment.

Karasu noted that there was nothing left for him to do. He started to leave when Sailor Moon halted him. This time however, he wasn't held with a threat but with a true smile.

"I do believe your actions have spoken for who you truly are," she said "Please, help us if you know anything about all this. I know we can aid you as well."

Karasu's expression darkened again as he raised his katana to Sailor Moon's neck, "Don't get any wrong impressions lady!" his voice retook its infernal register, "I feed on fear and pain. It's what makes me strong. That's the only reason I 'helped' this wimp."

The other senshi stepped forward the minute Karasu raised his sword, but didn't dare make any sudden moves. After watching the fight with Paul, they had some idea of his speed. Sailor Moon however didn't flinch, she didn't even blink. She just kept looking into Karasu's eyes, unfazed by the darkness within.

"I do believe she's called your bluff," Tuxedo Kamen said as he approached calmly, "I think you better consider our offer."

Karasu dropped the sword, laughing at his own defeat. Kashaku landed on his shoulder.

"{Mortal authorities approach. We must leave now warrior}."

"I've got to go now but I will consider your offer. Meet me at the park nearby at midnight," this said, Karasu started to walk away. Saturn held him back with the flat of her glaive.

"No mysterious disappearance this time?" she teased.

Karasu shrugged, "Guess not-What the hell is that!?" Everyone turned around ready to face what the warrior had seen.

"There's nothing there," Mars said.

"Yes there is," Pluto corrected, "it's what we needed to look at so Karasu no shi could make his exit." She pointed back at Saturn, who was now holding her weapon against this air.

"This," the violet-eyed senshi said, signaling the now empty space, "is getting very annoying."

"Never mind the sour grapes Saturn. Your powers are needed now."

The youngest senshi looked at Pluto and nodded. Once again, she started gathering energy. In a few minutes she had gathered enough. "Rebirth aura!" The accumulated energy exploded. Nearby, the wounded students and teachers were healed.

Saturn had first used this power on one occasion when the senshi had to help out at a four-alarm fire. The rebirth aura could heal several people at once, although not completely. Still, those with serious wounds healed enough to be out of danger.

Once the 'explosion' was over. Saturn fell to her knees. Her senshi fuku glittered and faded away, leaving an exhausted Hotaru. This was the reason she didn't approach the group of evacuates, lest she revealed her identity.

Venus changed into Minako and took Hotaru home along with Michiru. Mercury and Mars went over to attend the evacuates. The rest of the senshi went to a more secluded area, in order to debate over what exactly was going to happen tonight.

"Mamo-chan and I will have to go," Usagi said as she reverted, "I know he won't try anything treacherous, but I would feel a bit safer if some of you would come with us."

"I'll go," Haruka responded almost immediately.

"Count me in," Makoto followed, "I've still got to thank him for helping us with that overfed mouse." She turned to Setsuna, "Want to come along Setsuna-san?" The emerald-haired woman seem distracted, "Setsuna."

"Nani?"

Makoto tilted her head; "We all heard what Karasu said to you, so everyone knows who this particular guardian is."

"I must admit, that bit of news took me by surprise," Setsuna began, "I don't know if it will be best, but I will attend this rendezvous."

"Of course she will," Haruka teased, "after all, it's been a few millennia, I'm sure they'll have a lot to catch up on."

Setsuna narrowed her eyes at her friend, "I'll bring the tea and cookies."

"It's settled then," Mamoru stated, "We'll be at the park midnight sharp to meet Karasu."

"Are you he won't ditch us," Haruka asked doubtfully.

"I'm sure," he replied, "he won't admit it openly, but he knows he needs our help." {I just hope we can give it to him}.

*****

Whirlpool compound:

Paul opened his eyes. The bright lights of the infirmary blinded him for a while. It took some time for him to realize where he was. He heard a familiar, and annoying voice.

"Congratulations Paul," said Hawkins "The tracker-drone got our target's scent and all the others are identifying it. Mission accomplished."

"Yeah right, thanks," Paul grunted groggily, his eyes widened suddenly, "Wait a minute. What happened? Where am I?"

"Paul, Paul, calm down," Kara said as she held her associate down, "You're back at the compound. Allen here sent out a drone to help you out in case you ran into trouble." Paul's eyes got even wider, then his face started to display pure rage, directly at Allen.

"You mean you pulled me out of battle and made me look as a coward? For what?"

"Paul, I'm hurt," Allen mockingly replied, "I thought you'd be more thankful for having your life saved."

"Life and honor are two different things. You have no right to interfere in my battles." The anger in Paul's voice scared Kara. He had always displayed loyalty towards Allen and never once raised his voice. The only one who did that was Chris and he too used to measure his outbursts.

"Chris and Blaze are still unfit for work," Allen responded, not as calm as before, "I can't afford to lose either you or Kara."

Paul jumped of the cot and charged Allen, "And I suppose that I can spare my honor and dignity?"

Allen stopped Paul by placing his hand on his neck and lifting. The ebon martyr hung two feet in the air, "Before personal honor, there is loyalty to your superiors," Allen shook Paul and started yelling, "Are you forgetting our agreement?"

"Allen!"

"Mr. Poe!"

Allen paid no heed. He kept choking Paul until his face turned blue. Paul tried to speak, but could only gurgle. And just like that, Allen dropped him. Both of them breathing heavily, Allen clutched his heart.

"Hawkins…" Allen sounded exhausted, "prepare my room."

"Allen," Kara had never seen her love like this before, "Allen, are you all right?"

Allen stood straight despite the pain. He couldn't fall to his condition, he wouldn't, he was so close. "I'll be fine my love," he started to walk away, "Hawkins."

"I'll get on it right away Mr. Poe," Hawkins responded as his employer left, "Good thing I didn't mention the lost scanners," he muttered.

"What did you say?" Kara asked.

"Nothing Miss Kara, nothing at all. Let us check on Blaze and Christopher," Hawkins babbled as he left.

Kara shook her head and stretched, "Thanks a lot Paul, Allen and I had a great evening planned," she sighed, "Guess I'll go look for fun somewhere else. Now lets see, should I go straight or bi?" She started to leave but Paul held her back.

"Kara wait. I need to ask you a favor."

Kara's eyes widened, "Why Paul, I didn't know you thought about me like that!" her voice turned seductive, "How long have I've been your fantasy?"

"Can't you think of anything else? I'm serious!" Paul snapped, "Now," he said more calmly, "you have access to some of Poe's files, right?"

"Um… yes, but."

"I need you to get some of them for me."

"Are you joking?" Kara stepped away, "Last time I only took a peek and he almost scared me to death. What would he do if I stole them and showed them to someone else?"

"It's important Kara. That story Poe told us about the warrior," Kara nodded in understanding "I don't think he told us the entire truth."

"What do you mean?"

Paul rubbed his neck, "I'm not certain. But Poe must have the answers and only you can get them."

Kara raised her hands, "Look. If you want to play Sherlock, do it on your own. I'm not getting involved."

"But-"

"No buts." Kara said as she left.

Paul crossed his arms. He'll just have to figure this out on his own. And if his suspicions we're right... He shuddered at the thought. Part of him hoped he was wrong.

*****

Outer senshi manor:

"Okay, see ya tomorrow Saori-chan," Minako hung up the phone, "Well, it seems my understudy did a great job. Hope she mentions me when she goes to the Oscars."

Michiru was kneeling next to Hotaru, who was sound asleep on the couch. She was so exhausted, the poor kid.

"Don't worry too much Mina-chan. When I started out as a senshi my duties interfered with my performances all the time. But I was still able to manage a bit of fame."

Minako raised an eyebrow, "As I recall, Michiru-san, you were well known before becoming a senshi."

Michiru scanned her mind for a witty reply, "But no senshi has yet obtained the same level of popularity as Sailor V. And after all these years, she's still a hot item."

"Only because of the fact that I still wear that guise occasionally," Minako paused. She realized that she was looking for an argument to make herself seem less. Her sight slowly focused on Michiru's lips, which she was trying not to let bend into a grin. Her little trap had been discovered. "Isn't there anything that we inners can beat you outers at?"

"Hai, making us laugh," Michiru could stand it anymore and burst out laughing, Minako quickly joined in. Hotaru tossed in her sleep and they both stopped abruptly, hoping they hadn't disturbed her. Michiru gently pulled dark strands of hair away from the girl's face.

"Changing the subject," Minako said, "What's wrong with the two love birds?"

"Meaning?"

"Come on. Hard times between you two are rare. But when they do happen, there all too obvious. So I'll ask again: What's wrong?"

Michiru sighed. About two years ago, Setsuna was the only one she would trust whenever something like this happened. Now, even though Minako and the others had matured and could be trusted in these matters. Part of her still felt like she was confiding to a child.

"I'll admit it, I have been a little upset at Haruka's attitude. I mean, sometimes she acts too much like a man."

"Yeah well," Minako shrugged, "If they were already perfect, they'd take away all the fun of whipping them into shape." She raised an eyebrow, "And given the fact Haruka is only a tomboy, you didn't have much to do."

"Don't think so," the older girl replied, "I still had my work cut out for me." They continued on the 'All men are pigs' topic, until they heard Hotaru moan in her sleep. They turned their attention to her and saw her tossing again, a bit too violently this time. Minako inched closer.

"Is she all right?" she placed her hand on Hotaru's shoulder and tried to rouse her, "Hotaru-chan? Hotaru-chan wake UP!?"

Giving out what sounded like a war cry, Hotaru jumped from her position and tackled Minako down. Michiru fell back in surprise to this action. Hotaru tried to beat on the blonde's face, but Minako was able to grab her wrists just in time. Still, Hotaru struggled. She looked into Hotaru's eyes, they were open but she was still dreaming.

"Hotaru-chan, wake up! It's me, Mina-P!" But the violet-eyed girl kept on trashing.

"Hotaru enough!" Michiru gathered her courage and slapped Hotaru, who fell back from the blow. "Are you all right Mina-chan?"

"Don't mind me. What about Hotaru-chan?"

Hotaru had calmed down as Michiru had hoped. She was rubbing her cheek as she woke up, for real this time. "Nani? What happened?" As tactfully as they could, both friends told her what had happened. "Ara," Hotaru gasped, "I must have had another one of those dreams."

"Dreams?" Minako asked dumbfounded, "From what kind of a dream do you wake up acting like a bronco?"

"Hotaru-chan," Michiru's voice showed deep concern, "Have you had these dreams before?"

Hotaru looked down, she didn't want her parents to worry about her. Especially now, when they all had important matters to attend. Also, she wanted to deal with this by herself, with no help whatsoever.

"Hai, I've been having them for several days now."

"What are they about?" Minako inquired.

Hotaru answered with a short laugh, "I honestly don't know. A few seconds after awakening I'm able to recall bits of information. But these quickly fade away."

Minako pondered for a moment, "Do you think these dreams mean something?"

"Premonitions? Ie, I doubt the harbinger of doom should be allowed to see the future. If I did, the message would be too clear," the tone in her voice made it unclear whether she was being sarcastic or serious.

"Maybe we should pay a visit to Rei-chan," Michiru suggested, "I'm sure she'll be able to figure out something."

"Perhaps, if Haruka-papa trusts her enough to get into my head," Hotaru got up, "I'm turning in, I need some real sleep." Minako and Michiru watched the girl as she went up the stairs. Just before she got to the top she called out: "And don't check on me, it'll be safer. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Hime-chan."

"Uh yeah, goodnight," Minako got closer to her friend, "Have you noticed that about Hotaru-chan?" she asked in a low voice.

"The fact that she's giving herself the title of a destroyer more often than before?" the aqua-haired girl looked up, "Not until now, and I'm sorry I didn't before."

*****

The Park, 12:15 AM:

Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Kamen, Sailor Jupiter, Uranus, Pluto, Venus and the two cats stood around, waiting for Karasu no shi. The latter wanted to come too so she could thank him for saving hers and Saori's life back at the theater. She just had to think of a way to do so without revealing her identity. She also wanted Mars to bring along Phobos and Deimos, see how they would hit it off with the guardian. But the twins firmly refused.

"You guys notice how that thug fainted after Karasu put his hand on him?" Jupiter asked, "He must have done something similar as what he did to that kid."

"That is obvious," Luna said, "To tell the truth, I find that ability to use a person's emotions as a weapon, quite frightening," she paced around, "I wish you were able to find out more about him, Setsuna-san. Or that Phobos and Deimos were allowed to reveal more."

"Knowing it all would take away the challenge, Luna-san," Pluto replied with her Monalisa grin, "Now that I've thought about it, learning as we go makes it all the more fun."

"Well no one is going to learn anything unless Karasu shows up," Uranus said frustrated. She looked at a clock tower yonder, "Twenty minutes late. Is he coming or not?"

"Caw!"

Everyone looked up and saw Kashaku. He circled a few times and landed on a low branch, right in front of Uranus. She felt shivers when she looked into his eyes.

"Does he answer your question?" Sailor Moon teased.

"O.K., the bird's here. But where's the warrior?"

"Over here."

"YIPE!" Uranus jumped forward when she heard that creepy voice whisper into her ear. She spun and saw Karasu emerge from the shadows.

"Boo."

"That wasn't funny," Uranus growled.

"I wasn't?" Karasu asked in mock surprise, "Your friends seem to disagree," he pointed out. Uranus turned around and saw her companions trying to hide their faces or pretend they didn't see anything. Kashaku flew over and landed on Karasu's shoulder, he walked up to Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen. "Queen Serenity and King Endymion, I presume."

"We're Eternal Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen," the future queen replied, "Not royalty just yet."

"{Then with you we shall converse, your highness}," Kashaku stated.

"I'll do the talking Kashaku. You go wait over there."

Kashaku's beak dropped, "{Do you expect me to let someone like you talk unattended to-}SQWAK!" Karasu swatted his guardian off his shoulder, instinct made him fly straight towards Pluto's arms.

"I can handle this by myself. Meanwhile, you can gossip with your friend Morenita." Kashaku sent his ward a long hard stare.

"Kid's giving you trouble?" Luna joked.

"{You have no idea}."

Karasu placed his whole attention on the leaders of the senshi. He saw Jupiter and Uranus standing right behind the pair. "Who are you two supposed to be? The 'senshi service'?"

"No offense Karasu," {Though you do deserve a bit}, "But we have to take precautions," Jupiter answered, "You see, we haven't had pleasant experiences when dealing with, with…"

"Monsters?" Karasu assisted.

"Ie, that's not what Jupiter meant!" Sailor Moon exclaimed.

"That's what I am princess," he stated, "I'm not gross enough to be a zombie or have the magic to be a demon. But one thing I'm sure of, I'm not human."

"Well at least you're not in denial of your defects," Uranus mocked.

"Unlike other people, who shall remained unnamed," Karasu retorted.

Pluto petted Kashaku's head, "It's nice to finally meet again, Guardian."

"{Likewise Lady Pluto, and in the Earth realm I might add. By the way, the warrior has given me a name, I am now known as Kashaku}."

"It becomes you," Pluto complemented. She introduced the others, "These are my friends: Sailor Venus, Luna-san and Artemis-kun."

"Pleased to meet you Kashaku-san," Venus greeted cheerfully.

"And the ones accompanying the prince and princess are Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Uranus," Pluto completed.

Kashaku hopped down to the bench where Luna and Artemis were sitting. "Lady Luna and Sir Artemis. You two are from planet Mau, correct?"

"Hai," Luna responded, "and please, don't treat me with such formalities, I don't want them to go to my head."

"I noticed Karasu is giving you trouble," Artemis commented, "I could give you a few tips. I still remember the pains I had to go through instructing Venus."

"Watch it cat," the senshi of love warned.

"{I appreciate it Sir Artemis, but I am not allowed to accept aid in guiding the warrior}."

Artemis nodded, "Oh yeah, Phobos and Deimos told us about that."

"How about," Luna suggested, "instead, we tell you how to handle a teenager?"

"{I'm all ears!}"

Sailor Moon took the first word: "Karasu, Phobos and Deimos, two crows from the same race as Kashaku, have told us about you and other warriors that came before. We can only assume what has happened to you, how you lost your life as a human."

"You can assume," Karasu replied somberly, "that's not the same as knowing for sure. You have no idea, you can't even fathom what I had to suffer!" He laughed, half sadly, half mockingly, "If you thought you could convince me through sympathy, then we have all wasted our time. Good night," he said as he started to leave.

"Hold it buster," Jupiter called out as she stepped forward, "Tell me, how old are you?"

The undead teen thought for a moment before answering, "Fifteen I guess, I don't think I aged during the year I spent dead. A pretty nice age to die, ain't it?"

"Most of us were fourteen when we discovered we were the sailor senshi, some were even younger," the thunder senshi revealed, Sailor Moon nodded in agreement, "It's not much difference true, but we know what it's like to have your world turned upside down. And believe it or not," her tone was deadly serious, "we now what death feels like."

"Do you?" Karasu asked in wonderment, "Was it something like this?" As fast as an arrow, Karasu placed his hand on Jupiter's face. A roar of pain was heard.

"Jupiter!" Venus and the rest rushed over when they heard the cry. But it wasn't Jupiter who they found kneeling on the floor trembling, it was Karasu.

"What just happened here?" the tall brunette asked.

"{Psychic backfire}," Guardian explained as he landed on her shoulder, "{it occurs whenever the warrior uses his powers against an innocent without his or her consent}." He turned his gaze to his ward, "{Tell us Warrior, what did you see?}"

Karasu got up slowly, shaking the confusion out of his head "Two battles, a field of ice and a void filled with stars, you fought and died, defending what you knew to be right."

Jupiter and Venus trembled as they remembered the final battles with Beryl and Galaxia. "Now you see that we haven't lied to you," the former said softly.

"But it's still different," Karasu replied, "When you fought, you knew of the consequences. You were already mature as warriors. I wasn't, I was only a child, and I didn't go around fighting demons and strengthening my will. My life changed and ended in just one night. Plus, you only know what it's like to die." He paused for a moment and gazed at the stars. The ones listening wondered what this last comment meant.

"I saw something else," he added, "when you said goodbye to the two people you loved the most for the last time. You do know what it means to lose a loved one." He lowered his gaze and looked into Jupiter's eyes. Her eyes were turning misty, they displayed sadness, loss, loneliness…He felt like such a jerk.

Tuxedo Kamen approached and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "It's true that not one person can understand the pain of another," he began, "Our suffering is unique to each of us, but it is a common factor to all humanity. Long ago we've learned that it becomes easier to bear with friends rather than alone. We will ask you again, will you let us help you?"

Karasu let these words sink into his mind. These people really wanted to help him, despite his actions. His life was spent in solitude. That girl, the one with amethyst eyes. She wanted to help him again and again, no matter how much he pushed her away. When she finally had enough he realized how stupidly he'd been acting. How could he refuse?

"I'm afraid the answer is no," Karasu said at last, "First, I'm not a team player, joining your team could endanger your lives, and Kashaku has told me what your presence could herald." Usagi nodded in understanding. "Second, I have already accepted a similar offer from somebody else earlier today. To accept another would be too much, too fast for someone of my nature."

"And who is that person, may I ask?" Uranus inquired.

"You may not and it's none of your business," he replied with a smirk. He gave a giant leap and perched himself on top of a lamppost. "The man I fought earlier is named Paul. I intended to increase his feelings of guilt when you saw him faint."

"Did you succeed?" Venus asked.

Karasu's expression darkened, "He believes death to be the ultimate release. He doesn't feel guilt for the ones he slays, but for the ones he fails to release of their suffering. He is insane and so are his companions," he got up, "If you want more information, find them before I do. They will not survive another encounter with me." Before anyone could respond, he jumped from one post to the next and out of sight.

Kashaku watched as his ward disappeared. He turned to the two cats. "{Tell me the truth, will it really be worth all the trouble?}"

Artemis walked up and placed a paw on the crow's shoulder, "It will. I've been through some hard times looking after Venus, but know that she's grown I can see how all my efforts were worthwhile."

"It was the same with Sailor Moon," Luna said as she approached her mate, "you wouldn't believe the headaches I suffered. Four years ago you couldn't conceive her being a princess. But now I can't help but feel pride when I look at her."

Kashaku looked at each of the animals and bowed, "{My thanks to you, Lady Luna, Sir Artemis}."

"Kashaku-san," Luna gave him a reminding stare.

"{Very well, Luna-san and Artemis-san}," he corrected and flew off.

Artemis turned to Luna, "Hey! I was starting to like that 'Sir' title."

*****

Outers' Manor:

It was nearly 2:00 when Haruka finally got home. Somehow, driving around didn't help clear her mind. She tried to keep quiet as she got into her room, not wanting to wake up her soul mate.

"How did the meeting go?"

"Michiru? Gomen nasai, did I wake you?"

"Ie, I wasn't that asleep," Michiru replied as she sat up, "So what did Karasu decide?"

"He wasn't clear on that matter," Haruka said as she got undressed, "He said that he was going to take somebody else's offer. Which could mean there's a fourth party involved now."

Michiru shook her head, "Maybe he just decided to make a friend. He might play dual identities like us." She took a deep breath, "And what will you do about Hotaru-chan and Carlos-san?"

"Navarro? I'm going to keep my eye on him also," she raised a fist, "if he thinks he can threaten Hime-chan and get away with it…"

"He threatened her?" the aqua-haired girl asked in alarm, "When?"

"Well, not her exactly but me. Saying that I couldn't protect her all the time."

Michiru rolled her eyes, "Did it occur to you that he said that to bother you," she lay down, "If you want my advice, leave them alone and let Hotaru-chan handle the consequences."

"Nani?" the sand-blonde couldn't believe what she heard, "Do you know who we could be risking her to?"

"Do you?" Michiru jumped up and glared at Haruka, "Remember when we tried to shield Usagi from the 'Three lights'? And before that, Chibi-Usa from Hotaru-chan?"

Haruka was stunned by the anger in her voice, "Hai, but we had reason to-"

"Well we were wrong, very wrong. Not only that, we ended up hurting those we meant to protect," tears began to show, "I love Hotaru-chan, as my daughter I love her. I don't want to be the one who hurts her." She sat down again. There was a long pause in which Haruka heard her love's silent weeping. "The truth is," Michiru sobbed, "for once, I want to trust, just like Usagi-chan. To be naïve and let any stranger become my friend. Risk being hurt or betrayed, but not fear something that might not happen." She turned to face Haruka, "Let Hotaru-chan help Carlos-san and trust Karasu not to be our enemy. Will you please do so?"

Haruka responded too quickly for her sake, "I can't Michiru. I just can't take that chance."

Michiru's scowl slowly turned into a frown, "Then you make that choice alone," She lied down and pulled up the covers, "Good night Haruka."

"Michiru-"

"Good night."

Haruka cringed at the anger in her voice. She kept still, listening as Michiru cried herself to sleep. It took Haruka thirty minutes to turn off the light. And a full hour to fall asleep.

*****

Morenita: Diminutive and feminine for Moreno, a surname and a shade of brown. It is a nickname, and at times pet name, given to dark-skinned women. Obviously, Karasu was referring to Setsuna.