Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter sixteen:

"Shabon spray, freezing!" Once the drones were grounded, Sailor Saturn charged, slicing all of them in half.

"This is useless," the amethyst-eyed senshi exclaimed, "For each one we knock down, two of them take its place!"

"Don't give up Saturn," Tuxedo Kamen shouted as he threw a shower of exploding roses, "Their number can't be infinite."

"Besides," Pluto added as she whacked one with her staff, "We're not the ones they're after."

"Ebon shears!"

"World shaking!" A dozen more drones bit the dust. "Get the hell out of here!" Uranus yelled at Karasu, "You're putting the princess in danger!"

"Shut up before I throw you at them! In case you haven't noticed, you precious princess is strong enough to fend for her own. So put that machete to good use and hack some bugs!"

"That's not the point kabuki," the wind senshi added as she beheaded a drone, "Sailor Moon is our leader, we follow and protect her."

"Follow?" he glanced at the whirlpool gang, "Of course! The hippie is the hijo de perra the drones are following!" Without another word, he leapt towards Allen Poe.

"He's a lot smarter than I gave him credit for," the warlock observed, "but not much. Chris, intercept."

"Glad to," the cyborg replied as he charged. Both fighters collided in midair. "Get ready mime, 'cause this time you're really gonna get yours!"

"I heard that one before," Karasu responded with a haymaker, "This fight is between you and me, leave the senshi out of this. AARGH!"

"Everything in this city concerns those broads," Chris declared as gore dripped from his talons, "Rest assured, I was already planning some quality time with each of them."

"Everyone but the blondes," Blaze yelled as he jumped down and threw Karasu a fireball, "those are mine!" The undead warrior got up, the slashes in his belly and burns on his face disappearing.

"The only sure things in your futures are your deaths." He pulled out his guns and fired, the ebon shears would be too fast. "Afterwards, I'm finding out who the hell your boss is!"

"Blah, blah, blah." Blaze threw a barrage at the boy. He in turn drew out his katana and sliced each flaming sphere as he charged. When he got close to the redhead, he gave him a roundhouse kick, knocking him down. This move however, left him defenseless against Chris. The cyborg raised both his arms and pounded on Karasu's back. Chris' talons extended to six inches.

"If only the boss didn't want you alive-"

"Supreme thunder!" Chris was blasted away from there. "Sorry I'm late, but it looks like I got here in time." She glimpsed overhead and saw the armored-up Kara heading towards Sailor Moon. "Sparkling wide pressure!"

"NO!" Karasu tackled Jupiter, deflecting the lethal blast.

"Why did you do that!?"

"We can't let Kara get hurt," the warrior explained, "She-UNNGH!" Chris crept from behind and drilled his arm through Karasu's chest. And if that wasn't enough, he pulled him over the edge. Sailor Jupiter tried to catch them, but was detained by Blaze.

Sailor Moon knelt trying to catch her breath; she'd used her attack too often tonight, too quickly.

"I should really get my tiara back," she said between gasps, "I'd feel a lot less useless."

"Relax Sailor Moon, we're almost done with these pests. Venus love and beauty shock!"

"Silence wall!" Three drones smashed into the barrier, the same as flies against a windshield. Saturn had come to help Karasu, but her sense of duty made her stay with her liege.

"Keep the force field around the princess Saturn," Uranus ordered, "while we take care of the rest."

"I know what I have to do Uranus! Don't waste-" The silent senshi caught something out of the corner of her eye. "CARLOS!" She bolted away from her friends' side.

"Nani?" the wind senshi turned to see an impaled Karasu no shi fall off the side of the building and a frantic Sailor Saturn following.

"Up here my sweets," Kara taunted. The trio of blonde senshi looked up and was knocked out by three well-placed hits from a stun ray. "Now let's see, which one did Allen tell me to take?"

"I'm sure the boss won't mind if you're a little banged up," Chris chuckled as they fell, "See, I know that we'll both get through this."

"You might survive the fall," Karasu answered with a chilling voice, "But you're gonna need a pinche overhaul for what's coming." Chris became puzzled. "Turn around."

Saturn watched in shock as a speeding truck hit the falling pair, sending them several meters ahead. The driver got off the vehicle to see what had happened, and once he caught he a glimpse of the senshi of destruction, he ran away as fast as he could. He didn't want anything to do with this. Once she landed, she ran to Karasu. His body twisted as his bones got back into place.

"Chikuso!" The silent senshi knelt and gently raised the wounded warrior's head. "Say something Carlos, please, say something."

"6…85E…GH."

"Nani?" Karasu raised a finger and pointed. Saturn turned to see…the truck's license plates. "Baka!" she exclaimed as she burst out laughing, "Do you have any idea how scared I was?"

"Come on, admit it!" Karasu retorted, "It was a great punchline." A mechanical moaning and creaking caught their attention. "Now there's a sound I was hoping to hear." The undead warrior got up and walked towards Chris. Even though his body was severely damaged, flesh, bone and metal painfully twisted and his few entrails remaining formed a tangled mess with the many wires. The cyborg still managed to get on his feet. This sight frightened Saturn so much she was frozen in place.

"I've gained (ZZZT) so much, that there's (ZZZT) no more pain left." The maniac's voice sounded like a bad signal, "These (ZZZT) powers (ZZZT) leave nothing to miss (ZZZT) from my humanity." He raised his left hand and readied his gun. Karasu didn't have to move quickly in order to grab the limb and twist it away like aluminum wrap.

"You can't miss what you never had Chris," the boy said menacingly.

"Attention warrior!"

Karasu looked up to see a wasp drone land and dig its stinger into his chest! Chris was stunned for a while, but quickly realized his advantage. Three talons extended out of his working hand.

"Then I guess (ZZZT) you won't miss (ZZZT) having the upper hand."

"Ie!" Sailor Saturn charged suddenly and floored Chris with a roundhouse kick. He tried getting up again but the glaive was being held towards his neck. She glimpsed at Karasu out of the corner of her eye. Kashaku had taken care of the wasp and was now pecking its head off.

"Karasu! Are you all right?"

"Fine, the sting just made me a little woozy," he answered as he got up wobbly. Saturn looked up and saw the rest of the senshi running up towards them. Perhaps Sailor Mercury could diagnose something with her computer. But then she noticed the frantic look in their eyes. The silent senshi looked behind and saw something that infuriated her. The dark stranger was holding sailor Moon hostage.

"I believe the time has come for negotiation." Poe hovered magically as he held an unconscious princess within black rings. Beside him, two blue flier drones held Uranus and Venus, who were also faint. "All I want is the Karasu and my employee. Let me have them and I'll release the hostages, otherwise fine, the moon princess in a fair enough prize."

"We don't negotiate with terrorist," Tuxedo Kamen furiously, "Release my wife, NOW!" He stepped forward and gunshot at his feet halted him.

"I wouldn't do anything stupid darling," Kara warned, "Believe me when I say: where my sight goes, the bullet follows." The earth prince tightened the grip on his cane. Maybe if they gave Mercury some time, she could plan something. But this man was not going to wait, he could tell. There were no options visible, but he couldn't hand over Karasu. Usako would never forgive him if he took that decision.

"I'm throwing my weapons," Karasu announced as he took off his coat and belt, "Just make sure Sailor Moon and the others are unharmed." He hated doing this, but he couldn't risk Sailor Moon's life. He was not going to let others suffer because of his mission. Under normal conditions he could have beaten the hippie, but right now the poison had weakened him.

"Ie, Carlos-san."

"Warrior, you cannot give in to that fiend!"

"You'd rather I give up that future you've told me about?" The bird said nothing.

A flier landed in front of Saturn, it didn't attack, it just waited for her to let Chris go.

"(ZZZT) Sorry babe, I guess (ZZZT) you lost (ZZZT)," the cyborg mocked as he tried to brush his foot against the senshi's leg. Saturn growled in disgust as she stepped away. The drone picked up the broken man and took him to his leader.

"Are you ready to go yet?" Poe asked.

The undead teen picked up Kashaku and handed him to Saturn.

"Kashaku and I are linked," he told her, "Don't worry. I know you'll be able to find me before long." Not waiting for a reply, he leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. Saturn just gasped as he stepped away. "I'm ready," Karasu called, letting his katana drop, "Don't keep me waiting."

Poe chuckled, he twirled his fingers and black rings appeared around the undead warrior, lifting and robbing him of his consciousness.

"You gave me what I wanted, now I will honor my side of the bargain." The warlock snapped his fingers and the senshi fell.

"IE!"

"Shabon spray!" The bubbles flew up and caught the falling blondes. Everyone ran up to them, relieved that they were all right. Such relief was short-lived though.

"Matte!" Neptune yelled, "They still have Venus."

"You gave me back two, I give you back two," Poe cackled, "Sayonara." His cruel laughter filled the air as they all teleported away.

"Kashaku, go search for Carlos," Saturn yelled to the bird on her arms.

"Caw!"

"Phobos, Deimos, assist the guardian!" Sailor Mars ordered.

"Caw!" "Caw!"

Sailor Saturn sighed sadly. She changed back into Hotaru and picked up the black katana. "What now?" she asked Mamoru. The black-haired man looked at the odango-headed blonde in his arms. She was still unconscious, but unharmed. He had to be thankful for that.

"We wait," he said simply.

*****

Hikawa Shrine

It was nearly 5:00 in the morning; the sun still hadn't risen. None of the senshi had been able to sleep, as they all thought how defenseless they'd been made. And how their princess had been taken hostage so easily. Usagi had woken up a moment ago, and was being told the whole story. Meanwhile, Rei was waiting by the open door for the twins to return.

"Any sign of them," Ami asked as she knelt next to the maiden.

"Ie, and I'm getting a little worried," the raven-haired girl replied, "I don't mean to underestimate them, but our enemy is too strong, and to me they always seemed so…so fragile."

"They'll be all right Rei-chan," the azure-haired girl gave her friend an assuring hug, "Just stay calm."

"Caw." Both girls looked up and saw the twins approach. They landed and immediately slumped on the floor.

"Poor things, you're completely exhausted!" Rei exclaimed as she picked one of them up. "How's Deimos-chan?"

"Eto," Ami had to figure out how Rei could tell them apart. She checked on the bird in her arms. Her eyes were closed, her neck was loose and her breathing shallow yet regular. "I'm not a veterinarian, but guess all they need is some rest." She ran her hand down Deimos' back. "Let's get inside."

"So he gave himself up in order to free us," Usagi concluded, "But Mina-chan is still being held by that madman."

"Hai, and there's no telling what those sickos might do to her," Makoto growled. Shigeru was behind her, trying to relax her with a shoulder massage, only it wasn't working. "If I ever get my hands on that little hentai…ugh." Hotaru had healed the bruises, but her ego was still hurt.

"Take it easy Mako-chan, you still have to figure out how to find him," her fiancé reminded, "Besides, I want a piece of him too." His beloved had described a very detailed battle.

"Please, not so loud," Haruka said all of a sudden. Everyone present turned towards her and Michiru got closer.

"You're back with us know?" the violinist asked as she caressed her love's face sweetly.

"Hai, I'm fine," the sand-blonde answered as she sat up abruptly, "The princess, how is she?"

"I'm fine Haruka-kun. What should concern you know in Mina-chan and Carlos-kun."

"The gaijin," Haruka grumbled. She turned to Rei and Ami and saw the crows in their arms. "Navarro is Karasu no shi, ne?"

"Hai," the maiden admitted, "And he's been hiding here the last few days."

"And you didn't tell anyone?" Haruka exploded, "Do you see what your carelessness nearly caused?" Rei stepped back and Phobos shook in her hands.

"Haruka, you're just looking for a scapegoat," Setsuna scolded, "I knew of Carlos-san's identity as well. If you want to vent your anger on someone, it should be me." The sand-blonde said nothing; she scanned the room to see who else was missing.

"Where's Hime-chan?"

"At the temple entrance," Mamoru responded, "She took this pretty hard, so we decided to leave her alone for now."

"She'll have time to be alone after I'm done with her," Haruka got up and headed outside.

"Matte Haruka-kun, Hotaru-chan already feels guilty enough. She doesn't need you to-"

"Let her go Mamoru-san," Michiru said quietly.

"Nani?"

"Haruka and I have always learned through bad choices, and she's a slower learner than I." The aqua-haired woman looked up. "I glimpsed at Hime-chan while on our way here. Believe me, it will be Haruka who'll receive the worst part."

Hotaru stood under the tori petting Kashaku.

"So there's no sign of him?"

"None. We should have known it would turn out like this. If the enemy can cloak itself, it makes sense that their prisoners become so."

"I'll find him Kashaku-san, I will. And if he's hurt in any way," she knelt and picked up a loose slab from the floor. Her eyes glowed as she crushed it with one hand. The crow gulped after seeing this.

"Hime-chan," Hotaru turned and saw Haruka approach. Kashaku flew to a safer place. "You've got a lot to answer for."

"Skip the baby name Haruka, I know you're too angry to use it."

"Very well, Hotaru. What were you thinking? Abandoning your princess just like that."

"I didn't abandon anyone! All the contrary, I ran over to help a friend."

"It doesn't matter!" the older woman continued, "Your duty as a senshi goes before everything else and you neglected it. For someone who's already dead, for crying out loud."

"Oh, then if Carlos-san was still alive it would have been okay," Hotaru snapped her fingers, "Oh, I forgot, he's a gaijin, he can go to hell then, ne?"

"Drop the sarcasm, now! What matters is, you left us at the hands of our foes."

"What if it had been Michiru-mama?"

"Nani?"

"What if Michiru-mama had been in Carlos-san's place and you in mine? You would have acted the same way."

"Michiru and I made an agreement, long before meeting you. We agreed on what our priorities should be."

"Yeah right, duties as a senshi. Having Michiru-mama makes it so easy for you to say!"

"Nani?"

"The rest of us are torn by choosing between heart and duty, you two cheated, you have each other. Oh sure, it's easy to follow the rules when there's no need to choose."

"But-"

"And don't talk to me about rules. Whenever someone does something you don't agree with you blab all that duty crap. Even Usagi-san, if she doesn't do what a princess is supposed to, you let her know immediately."

"Hotaru-"

"But what happens when you break the rules? You never let anyone know about your plans or intentions; you go against everyone's trust time and time again. But it's okay, why? Because you do it all for the princess."

"Tomoe Hotaru, that's enough!" the racer shouted. Instead of stopping, the pale girl stepped towards her guardian.

"You're nothing but a bigot and a hypocrite of the worst degree! You don't care about anyone but yourself! Well hear this, I'm letting you know my choice now, I choose Carlos."

"Are you forsaking your princess!?" the sand-blonde asked furiously.

"Ie Haruka, the only one who deserves to be forsaken is you."

That did it; Haruka gave Hotaru the fiercest slap ever. But once she did so, she couldn't believe it. How could she let her anger out like this? She gulped when she saw the bruise forming on her daughter's cheek, and trembled when she looked into her eyes. Not because of tears, there were none, but because they had turned cold, colder than Saturn's.

"Don't worry Haruka, I was expecting this," the violet-eyed girl said with eerie calmness, "Violence has always been your answer to everything. And me (chuckle), well, we all know who you always wanted to destroy." Hotaru turned away and started climbing down the stairs. Seconds passed before Haruka could finally react.

"Matte!" she ran down, "Gomen nasai Hime-chan." She placed her hands on Hotaru's shoulders, but the girl twisted away.

"I hate you."

Haruka Tenoh could do nothing but watch as her daughter vanished in the distance. I'm doing it again. She fell back on the stone steps. Haruka no baka, you're hurting her again. She went back to the temple, burdened by a sadness that no one, not even her ocean princess, could relieve her of.

*****

Whirlpool compound:

Sailor Venus opened her eyes. The bright lights hurt, so she closed them again. Blinking, she let her sight adjust as she tried to remember what had happened. She tried to move, but her arms and legs were fastened to some surface. Her head was free, so she turned to see Karasu being held next to her. And beyond was the white-haired man with coke-bottle glasses she'd seen at the party.

"Hey! Where are we baka? Who are you and what are you going to do to us?" Hawkins growled and stopped the recorder he held on his hand. Slowly, he walked up to the senshi of love.

"Five times I've tried to record the events that have occurred in proper chronological order. The boy here," he pointed at Karasu, "interrupted me four times. You've committed the fifth. And I'm in no mood for a sixth!" He stepped away fuming while Venus stared at him sweat-dropping.

"Ara, this guy is definitely anal retentive."

"You think?" Karasu asked sarcastically, "I don't even think this guy has a rectum." Sailor Venus couldn't help laughing, neither could Kara and Blaze, who'd just entered the room following Allen Poe.

"You see carrot-top," the mocha-skinned woman pointed out, "that was clever and funny."

"Humor aside please," Poe requested, "Hawkins, what have you found out?"

"It's amazing! The karasu's healing ability is even faster than I thought, both bone and muscle density are many times greater than normal, he's got ten nerve ending where there should only be one and impulses travel a lot faster through them. As for the other subject, I've been trying to break through the senshi's energy mask. No sort of camera can register a properly focused image, and somehow, all facial features are immediately forgotten the moment one turns away. I'll try to see if she generates a sort of hypnotic-"

"As useful as knowing more about the senshi might be," the warlock interrupted, "all that I'm interested in right now is the karasu."

"I'm sorry Mister Poe, sir. But I would have to move him to a better equipped lab in order to get more information and I assumed you wanted to meet him here first." Poe nodded.

"Leave us, I want a word with these two." Everyone did so without questioning. Once the door closed, Karasu spoke.

"Who are you, pinche, pendejo, hijo de perra?"

"You can't tell? I suppose your intelligence shows up only in the midst of battle." Poe approached the warrior and whispered into his ear. "I'm the one who made you. A year ago, when your family was murdered, I'm the one who gave the order." Karasu roared and tossed, trying to break free from his bonds. He wanted to tear the man's throat, pull out his tongue and perform all sorts of torture upon him.

"Temper, temper," Poe mocked, "But let us introduce each other properly, I am-"

"You're Allen Poe," Venus spat, "Founder of 'Dark Feather', one of the richest men in the world and a philanthropist with a heart of gold. Or so you make the world believe," she added through grinding teeth.

"Correct. And you are Sailor Venus, the senshi of love and beauty; while you are called Karasu no shi," Poe narrowed his eyes, "known in life as Carlos Navarro." The boy's eyes darkened even more. "You shouldn't be surprised," the warlock continued, "I always keep a record of everyone that concerns my interest."

"And what are your interests?" the warrior growled, "For what twisted reason did you destroy my life?"

"So you would become what you are now. I know that the crow is an avenging spirit, but there's no way of knowing who will become one. So I investigate several individuals through scanning devices, research their lives, evaluate their readings and condemn them to your same fate. For example, that green-haired girl you saved at the theater the other night, her background made her one of the best candidates to become a crow."

Saori-chan. "So you are the one who set those machines at the hospital and that bar. You chose those places because people with a dark history and darker attitudes made better candidates. No offense Karasu."

"Let me guess the rest," Karasu asked, "Now that you have me, you're gonna have that nerd study me, create some sort of undead soldier, use it along with the drones and conquer the world."

"Conquer the world?" Poe's eyes widened in genuine surprise. He threw his head back and laughed. "That sounds like the plot of a bad spy movie. No, the drones are simply a project I shall sell to the military in the near future. My motives are simpler. Since I was a teenager I worked my way up from mediocrity, creating the vast economical empire I now posses. I've won fortune, power, admiration and fear." His mood went serious, "But then I learned a rule, you can't take it with you."

"So you're not going to leave at all," the blonde senshi guessed, "What you want is to become immortal!" Poe smirked at Venus' wit. Suddenly, he fell to the floor with a coughing fit. Both heroes watched in amazement as his sideburns turned white.

"Precisely," he wheezed, "through the decades, I studied the magical arts and became an archmage." The pain he was going through was evident as he struggled to get back on his feet. "I devised several methods in order to extend my life, but none proved to last. Then I found out about the crow, a nearly invincible fighter. That's when I realized, the only way to defeat death, is to go beyond it." He looked at Karasu straight in the eye, "That is the reason I created you, to become what you are. And you're correct in believing that, I don't care how many lives had to die in order for you to appear."

"If I didn't know the damage you would do with this power," the warrior said with an infernal voice, "I'd gladly give it to you. This isn't eternal life; it's a perpetual death. And no one deserves it more than you!"

"Perhaps, but it is what I want." Poe turned and headed for the door. "I'll leave you in Hawkins' hands now. Don't worry, he's a very capable professional. And sadist." The door slid open and he was surprised to see Kara waiting outside; lucky for him the room was soundproof. "My dear, what are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to see the karasu up close, not to mention Sailor Venus. She's my favorite of the senshi."

"Step inside then, just don't take too long, Hawkins and his assistants will be here shortly," he reminded her as he left.

"As far as I'm concerned, the nerd can wait." The dark-haired woman walked up and stood in front of Venus. "Exquisite, I really shouldn't let Blaze get his hands on you. But frankly, I pity the poor guy." She reached up to caress the blonde's cheek, the latter jerked away. "I guess a little kiss is out of the question then." The senshi of love glared at the woman. "What? You don't like girls?"

"I don't mind the fact that we are both women," Venus explained, "It is you, the person you are, that disgusts me." Kara took hold of Venus' face with both hands and forced her to look forward.

"I've been waiting for this chance a long time. So I don't care what you think, I'm having those lips."

"Is there a reason for your being here Kara?" Karasu shouted, "Other than being a pain in the ass?" Kara sighed, stopping just before the kiss took place.

"Yes there is a reason." She left Venus alone and stood in front of Karasu. "When I first saw you, you didn't shoot me down, even though you had a clear shot. And last night, you saved me from Sailor Jupiter's attack." Kara Matthews gave the warrior a determined stare. "I want to know why?" The undead teen remained silent a moment then closed his eyes and answered.

"I came back in order to obtain vengeance. To destroy those who wrecked my life. The only thing that can protect someone from my wrath is the amount of innocence possessed. And a lot is coming from you."

"Innocence?" the woman cackled in disbelief, "How could you possibly conclude that I am innocent? Do you have any idea how many lives and families I've ruined, before and after I met Allen?"

"The innocence comes from your body but not from you," Karasu replied calmly. His dark eyes opened slowly. "It comes from the life growing inside you."

*****

Hotaru walked aimlessly within the city of Tokyo. She wasn't sure whether she was still in Juban or not. She didn't even know how long she'd been walking. Minutes, hours, most of the day? Frankly, she didn't care at all. She was too worried about Carlos and too angry at Haruka. In fact, she felt angry at everyone for no reason.

"Caw." Hotaru looked up; maybe there were a few she could still trust. Kashaku landed on her shoulder. "Lady Saturn, you didn't really mean the words you attacked lady Uranus with, did you?"

"Probably not. But it's the way I'm feeling right now," the dark-haired girl took a deep breath, "And I don't want to talk about this until much later."

"Why not talk about it now?"

"What's important at this moment is finding Carlos-san and Mina-san," she said firmly. They walked quietly for a while, ignoring the people looking at them.

"You're really worried about the warrior, aren't you?"

"Hai."

"I dare say more worried than I am." The bird hopped from the girl's shoulder to her arm. He looked at her straight in the eye. "Your feelings for him are strong, that fact might work to our benefit."

"Nani? What are you planning Kashaku-san?"

"The warrior told the truth when he said that he and I are connected. But we forgot that you are connected to him as well."

"A connection?"

"It was created the night you found him," he hopped back to her shoulder, "If we concentrate together, there's a chance we might break through our enemy's defense."

"Good idea," Hotaru admitted, "let's go for it!" She hurried into a secluded alley. Making sure there was no one watching, they cleared their minds and tried to concentrate

"Our chances for success will be greater if you admit your true feelings for the warrior, lady Saturn."

"Don't start Kashaku-san," the girl said, blushing slightly, "Let's just find Carlos-san, okay?" Both earthling girl and Coronis' born crow closed their eyes. They cleared their minds and formed an image of Carlos Navarro.

"YAHH!" "CAW!" Both girl and bird fell to the floor.

"What happened?" Hotaru was holding her head and breathing heavily. "I was beginning to picture Carlos-san in my mind when I felt something strike me."

"I know," Kashaku answered as he shook away his headache, "It was a psychic cannon. I might be jumping to conclusions. But I believe we were detected and expelled by whomever holds the warrior and Lady Venus."

"So if we try again, we'll just get blasted once more," the dark-haired girl gave a long whistle, "This guy is much too strong."

"Indeed," the crow accepted, "However, I did manage to determine a direction." He flew out of their hiding place and landed on a mailbox, his head pointing westward. The violet-haired girl went up to look as well.

"The only thing I can see is that tower and-" Hotaru went blank and slapped herself in the face. "By the silence, I am the world's biggest baka!"

"Caw?" Once again, Hotaru bolted away. "Lady Saturn wait! Where are you going?"

"I know where they're holding Carlos-san and Mina-san!"

*****

Minutes later, they were standing a few blocks away from 'Dark Feather' tower. It was hard for Hotaru to find somewhere with no people so close to the place. After all, a thin girl lifting a manhole lid so easily can get your attention.

"Lady Saturn, are you certain of this?"

"If I'm wrong, then I own the world's perfect tan. Kara is a member of the whirlpool gang and she's engaged to Allen Poe. The drones, the gizmo Ami-san found, the technology that transformed Chris, all of that requires money," she pointed at the building, "and he has it."

"It makes sense," Kashaku admitted. "But if this is indeed our enemy's nest, shouldn't you call the other senshi for help."

"I don't need any help," Hotaru stated harshly, "Especially not Haruka's."

"I understand that you are still upset at lady Uranus. But going there alone is dangerous."

"I am the senshi of destruction. What can be more dangerous than that?" The girl stepped inside the manhole. "So, are you coming?"

"Me? Er, well, (ahem) I suppose." Kashaku hopped up to her shoulder and she started to climb down. "It's not so bad down there after all. Sewers have long corridors, nice, long and ample corridors. And very, very low ceilings."

"Ouch! Kashaku, you're digging your claws into me!"

"Caw!" the crow flapped his wings violently and flew outside as fast as he could. When Hotaru climbed out, he was shivering. "I'm sorry lady Saturn, I-"

"You're claustrophobic, ne?" Kashaku lowered his head in shame. "It's okay, it's nothing to be embarrassed about," she assured him as she petted his head, "You wait here, I'll go on alone."

"Lady Saturn, wait! What if something happens?" Hotaru sighed in resignation.

"One hour, if we're not back in one hour, you can call on the rest of the senshi." Although I don't think that will happen.

Hotaru finally reached the end of the stairs and hopped down to the floor. The place was dark, damp, smelly and just plain nauseating. But she was oblivious to all this.

"Saturn crisis power, make up!" Sailor Saturn summoned the silence glaive and created a ball of light to guide her way. She had a mission and more than enough determination to accomplish it.

*****

Whirlpool compound:

"While the usual dosage effectively neutralizes the subject's offensive abilities," Hawkins spoke into the recorder, "It doesn't seem to have any effect on its 'cloak'. There is a possibility that a larger dose might dissolve it, but it may also end the subject's life, with he result of angering Mr. Poe." Sailor Venus waited for the doctor to finish, not because of courtesy, but because his complaints were quite annoying.

"I'm not trying to make friends here, but I would really appreciate it if you didn't refer to me as: subject."

"Anything that I investigate or work on is a subject," Hawkins stated matter-of-factly, "And it is a much better naming that all the ones I was given in my younger years."

"Why doesn't that surprise me? Look, you can't win. We, the Sailor Senshi, never abandon one of our own. They'll be here in less time that you could possibly imagine." Venus narrowed her eyes. "Sailor Moon is quite merciful, but I'm warning you, you might be testing her limit." The doctor responded with a very nasal cackle.

"They will never find this place. All energy emitted from this location, heat, electric, sonic or 'mystic', is kept hidden by a device designed by me and aided by Mr. Poe's abilities." He calmed down and went to his computer again. "Speaking of which, the amount of energy you posses is significant. I must plan on how to make proper use of it afterwards."

"Hey Doc!" Blaze shouted as he barged inside, "You done with the broad yet? 'Cause I'm not planning to wait much longer." He stared at Venus who was giving him a look he'd received so many times before. "You got the right idea babe. Blaze here got the," his hands ignited, "hots for you."

"Chick, cheesecake, broad, babe?" The senshi of love got angrier with each word listed. "And you wonder why women don't treat you right? Che! Do you have any idea how obnoxious you are, or is your brain too fried to realize?" The redhead remained quiet a while, then he stood straight, groomed his hair a bit, cleared his throat and recited.

"Romance, who loves to nod a sing,
With drowsy head and folded wing,
Among the green leaves as they shake
Far down within some shadowy lake,
To me a painted paroquet
Hath been - a most familiar bird -
Taught me my alphabet to say -
To lisp my very earliest word
While in the wild wood I did lie,
A child - with a most knowing eye.
Of late, eternal Condor years,
So shake the very Heaven on high
With tumult as they thunder by,
I have no time for idle cares
Through gazing on the unquiet sky,
And when an hour with calmer wings
Its down upon my spirit flings -
That little time with lyre and rhyme
To while away - forbidden thing!
My heart would feel to be a crime
Unless it trembled with the strings"

Sailor Venus and Hawkins were left speechless.

"I must admit my surprise Mr. Blaze. I had no idea you knew poetry. You must tell me where you learned that."

"I'm curious as well," the blonde senshi admitted, "Why act the way you do if you're such a capable poet?"

"Why? I'll tell you." Blaze walked over to Venus. With a quick move, he grabbed her by the neck with an ignited hand. "Because you blonde bimbos know shit! You are always the pretty ones, and want everything around you to be pretty. And me, the skinny guy with the pimple face, always gets snubbed." He let go and Venus gasped for air. The burning made each breath quite painful. "I remember it as if it happened only yesterday. She was the most popular girl in school. Gorgeous, rich parents, good grades, captain of the cheerleading squad and, of course, blonde hair. I was in the same class as her, and believe it or not Doc, I was a straight-A student." He placed his hand over Venus' chest. "I was madly in love with her. To prove it I studied from the masters. Yeats and Longfellow, just to name a few. I left notes in her locker, recited some verses in front of her, wrote a few of my own. Tell me, do you think she liked that behavior?" he asked sweetly.

"Well I-OOMPH!" Blaze kicked her in the stomach as hard as she could. Hawkins did nothing to stop this; he was much too interested in Blaze's story. Not to mention that he'd misplaced the control that kept him in check.

"She laughed at me. She thought it was ridiculous that a carrot-topping pizza-face like me would try to be with a girl like her. You don't want a gentleman," Blaze growled, "all you blonde bimbos want is a quarterback with just enough brains to pull down your panties!" He reached under her fuku as he said this.

"Please don't," Venus gasped, "You...you can't believe all people who look alike think the same way, just because of one person who treated you badly." Sailor Venus tried to gather up her courage and whatever mercy was still left in her. "That talent you have, you could easily find a girl who would like you."

"But not you right?" Blaze protested as he burned her, "You don't fool me! All you want is muscle and no brain. Well, I showed her I could be tough. She screamed no, but I knew she was proud of the new me, proud until the fire finally crisped her." The mad redhead let go and went to the door. "Whatever you're doing, hurry it up Doc. My urges are up to a boil." Both occupants in the room were left speechless after Blaze had left. Sailor Venus was shocked both by the story she'd heard and the brutal way she'd been hurt.

"Quite interesting," the doctor commented coldly. He took a miniature recorder out of his pocket. "Set hidden cameras to monitor the scenario that will be held between the subjects: Blaze and Sailor Venus. Have psychology based reference standing aside." This was the last straw.

"That psycho just told us how he raped and burned a girl! And there you are as if nothing had happened! Not only that, you want to take videos of that guy raping me! What kind of a sick, twisted hentai are you?"

"I am not planning this for entertainment," Hawkins cleared out, "What was heard a moment ago revealed to me a lot of information about Mr. Blaze, that I would have never been able to deduce. The purpose of all preparations to be made is to gather more of said information."

"Information, is that all you care about?" the blonde senshi asked appalled, "Doesn't it even bother you a bit that people get hurt while you perform your work?"

"Bother, regret? To me those are senseless words. Just as everything that isn't tangible or verifiable. I only believe in fact." Venus went silent while the doctor continued his work. She wondered if her friends could get here in time. She wondered if the people this frightening man even had a heart. Her thoughts were truer than she believed.

*****

Another hundred rats scattered away as the glittering orb approached. Saturn tried her best not to feel nausea.

"Carlos-san is going to owe me big once this is over." After so many twists and turns, she finally made it to a wall in particular. Her sense of direction told her that behind it was the tower's basement, at least she was pretty sure. She knelt and used her glaive to cut out a hole, just big enough for her to go through. When she pulled out said part of the wall, she noticed that most of it was made out of steel, or some other alloy.

"How much did he pay for this I wonder? I've had more trouble cutting wet toilet paper." The silent senshi got down on her belly and slid through the tunnel she made. Now, Saturn had made a slight miscalculation. Yes, she did reach the tower, but the hole she made didn't lead inside of it, just one of the air vents. One that led straight down.

"EEEK! Oomph!" Saturn pushed against the wall and stopped her fall, ending up in very uncomfortable position. "Okay Saturn, you wanted to get to Carlos-san as fast as you could, and this seems to be the best way." She appraised the situation. It was a very long drop but she could handle it, and the silent shadow would probably hide the noise made by her landing. Sailor Saturn took a deep breath "Right. Here I GO!"

*****

Karasu waited as patiently as he could for Poe to finish the spell. He was trying to come up with a plan, but his hatred towards this man obfuscated his mind.

"Done," Poe said with a raspy voice, "Now all that is left is for Hawkins to provide the science needed for this." The warlock put his medallion and cloak back on. "You know? It surprises me that your darkness actually increased, your level was pretty high when you were alive."

"Darkness?"

"The one in your soul. As you probably know, people carry both good and evil within them, there is no such thing as purity. And people also generate a sort of energy, light and dark. Light is powerful, in fact, I recall incidents about people losing their light energy a couple of years ago in this very city." He chuckled, "But people ignore how much more useful the dark side is. It is generated by anger, hate, violence, depression, worry or even a simple case of the blues. You know what I mean, the dark is what grants us our power, we both use peoples' fears and use them as our weapons. The best part is, unlike light, you can drain it from a person without him noticing it. And thanks to modern life, there is a never ending supply." He paused to better enjoy the effects of his lecture on the boy.

"That explains why you hang around losers like Chris," Karasu spat, "and those gizmos Saturn told me about. But don't you dare think that just because I also use dark energy we are the same! You are the monster, not me!"

"You're not? I beg to differ. When I discovered you, three years ago, I was amazed, so much resentment in someone so young. I decided to wait and observe, expecting your darkness to increase. I wasn't disappointed." Poe got closer and whispered into his ear, "By the time I had you executed, your level was beyond many serial killers I've known. Does that sound like a normal teenager? No. Does it sound like a monster? Oh yes." The warrior clenched his fists so hard they bled. "You're a monster Carlos Navarro, you always were. But there is a difference between us, I am strong and you are pathetic." He left the room laughing as Karasu screamed and trashed. "Hawkins' assistants will be here soon. Try not to think too much about failed your family."

Saturn had finally reached the bottom and was now creeping her way around the compound. She couldn't risk trying to detect Carlos again, so she could only rely on her instinct.

"Did you take a look at the guy the boss brought in?" a voice asked. Saturn peeked around the corner and saw two men in uniform, probably soldiers, judging from the weapons they carried. Allen Poe had a whole army in this underground base! She called upon her silent shadow and started walking right behind them.

"We don't know if it's from the outside. It could also be one of the things his science team creates. One things for sure," he looked down the corridor, "That kabuki kid is not human." Saturn heard no more and ran off as fast as she could.

Give me a sign Carlos, please. Let me know where you are.

"YEARGH!"

"Chikuso!" She followed the scream, it was a sound only she could hear. Further screams increased her tension, making the situation worse. Calm down Saturn. You won't help Carlos-san at all in this state. Don't follow his voice, follow him. Sure of herself, she headed to a door in particular. She forced it open a little and peeked inside, what she saw chilled and enraged her. A group of people in lab-coats surrounded Karasu, who was strapped onto a dissection table. The sight was gruesome; robotic arms sliced him open while strategically aimed lasers kept his flesh from regenerating. They all took notes and observations, seemingly oblivious to the agony the boy was going through.

"Regeneration speed is three square inches per second. Let's see whether it varies with different types of-" a crash was heard. The scientist turned around and saw Saturn's elbow crash into his face.

"Call security!" a woman called out, "There's-Uungh!" The senshi knocked her out with a whack from her glaive. The remaining ones were knocked out with an energy blasts. She had to admit it, she bloodlust she felt was exciting, she really wanted to use the sharp end of her weapon on them all. After taking a few deep breaths to calm down, she headed for her friend.

"Those monsters," Saturn swung the Silence glaive and sliced away the instruments surrounding Karasu. He shook in pain as he regenerated, so she quickly used her healing power to soothe him. Karasu's breathing became more and more paced. By the time he was whole again, it was barely perceptible. "Carlos-san?" the girl asked fearfully. The undead teen chuckled gently as he opened his eyes.

"You see? I knew you'd be able to find me." Saturn couldn't contain herself any longer, letting her tears run free; she took her friend in a tight embrace.

"I was so worried about you Carlos," she sobbed.

"You pulled through Hotaru," he replied as he hugged her back, "that all that matters." He pulled away and dried her tears. "Now let's go find Sailor Venus and get the hell out of here." The senshi nodded. "But first." Karasu headed over to one of the scientists, the smallest one. ", I'd say we're about the same size." That when she realized Karasu was completely nude.

"Gomen nasai!" she exclaimed as she spun away, blushing terribly.

"Hey don't worry about it," Karasu said as he put the pants on. He tapped on her shoulder to let her know he was ready.

"I brought something." The silent senshi pulled out two items from the subspace where she kept her henshin rod and glaive, his overcoat and katana. "Gomen, but I couldn't bring your guns."

"It's okay, I'm starting to like the sword better. Let's go."

Sailor Venus received another one of Blaze's fiery jabs without so much as a whimper. Bruises and chars covered every visible part of her skin. A few tears escaped from her eyes, but she didn't even sob.

"Don't keep it in Blondie," the madman taunted, "I know you feel like crying." Venus responded with a bloody spit to his face.

"You can dish out a lot more. Or don't you feel man enough yet, fighting someone who can't strike back?"

"Don't push me bitch. I'm just getting warmed up." He placed his palm on her stomach and concentrated the heat. She gritted her teeth, determined not to give him the satisfaction. "Usually, it's Chris who does all the beating up, I just do the fun part. You know, sex." He took his hand away. "You know, torture just doesn't do it for me," he lifted her chin, "but you are giving me a woody." Venus merely glared. "Tell ya what. So you see that I ain't such a bad guy, I'll get you choose what I'll do next."

"Nani?"

"Yeah. You choose, punches, burns," he grabbed her thigh, "or we just cut to the chase." Venus narrowed her eyes; this monster deserved no forgiveness, no matter what her princess had taught her. But bound as she was, there was nothing she could do to stop what was going to happen. She gave a resigned sigh.

"I'm gonna to let my friends do as they please."

"What?" Blaze turned around and was met by a very potent right hook.

"Get up hijo de perra! The fun's just starting!" Karasu went on to punish the redhead, while Saturn aided her friend.

"Ara! Venus, what have they done to you?" she asked as she healed her friend.

"Nothing compared to what he was planning to do later," the blonde senshi said with a smile, "Domo arigato Saturn."

Blaze was barely able to counterattack. Karasu gave him no time to set his bracelets. The warrior threw an uppercut.

"That one is for Venus," he dished out a roundhouse kick, "that one's for the girl at the theater," he grabbed the redhead and lifted him in the air. "And this one is for Carmela!" he shouted as he smashed him into the floor face first.

"My turn!" Blaze threw the strongest fireball he could make at the warrior's face. "This is my way of saying thanks," he said as he punched his opponent, "for such a nice time I had with that Carmela bitch." Karasu roared and grabbed Blaze's fist, crushing it like pudding.

"Don't talk that way about her!" He grabbed the redhead's wrist with his other hand and accidentally pushed a button on his brace let. The power surge caused Blaze to shake. "Qué? Ugh!" The redhead had kneed him.

"Thanks mime! You just set me up into full battle-mode." He created a large fireball and blasted Karasu to the other side of the room. "You still feel like fighting?"

", since it's obvious you feel like dying." He got up and into position. "Ebon-" Blaze threw a large blue tongue of flame at him, both burning and knocking him away.

"I took my nap after our last encounter, mime, and the doc gave me something extra. I've enough power for you now." The redhead got ready to fire again.

"VENUS CRESCENT BEAM!" The golden ray smashed into Blaze, slamming him against the wall. The blow had hurt, but the redhead laughed.

"Have you forgotten bimbo? Energy attacks just charge me up."

"That's my intention exactly," she said coldly, "Venus, planet attack!" The senshi of love threw all of her rage onto the maniac before her. He felt power flow into him and laughed maniacally.

"Ooh, baby I love this! Keep going, do your worst!"

"You are the worst!" she yelled and increased her attack. Blaze kept laughing like a maniac until he felt pain. He realized her plan, overcharge.

"S-stop. I...can't...take it!" Smoke began to come out of him. Suddenly, she ceased her attack.

"I can't!" she sobbed, "By the kami, I can't do it. I can't." She fell to her knees crying. Saturn tried to comfort her. The younger senshi kept her sight on Blaze, who was struggling to get back up.

"Just like a girl," the madman mocked, "you just don't have the guts to kill." Still smoking, he aimed towards the senshi, Saturn aimed her glaive.

"Venus spared your life you ungrateful baka!"

"You say mercy I say pity! And I'm not taking it from a dumb blonde!"

"Don't do it," Karasu warned. All three saw him rise as the last chars on his face vanished. "Take my word, you will regret it." Blaze wasted no words, he turned towards and fired. Karasu was faster, he drew out his katana, charged and sliced the redhead's arm along its length. Loss of the bracelet, plus the enormous energy his body carried, caused a violent reaction. Blaze shrieked in pain as blue flames flew out every socket in his head. "Venus chose forgiveness, even after all you did to her." He shoved him against the wall. The fire inside Blaze had been violent but didn't kill him, now he was agonizing terribly. "What you did to my mother and sister, I shouldn't forgive," he said coldly, "but I will." He drove his weapon into the man's skull, killing him. "But I doubt you'll find any mercy where you're heading. You okay?" he asked Venus, whom Saturn was healing.

"Hai, I just need a little rest."

"Out of the question," Saturn stated, "We've got to get out of here before Poe finds out we're here."

"Right," the warrior agreed, "let's go." They all hurried out of the room, leaving Blaze's smoking body behind. The moment he was left alone, the blue fire rekindled.

*****

Quoth the raven: The poem Blaze recited is "Romance", which was written by Edgar Allan Poe. I wanted to use another one, but decided to go with it anyway.