Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter fifteen:

Outers' manor, afternoon:

"Tadaima," Michiru announced. She and Haruka had just come from picking up evening gowns from the seamstress, which Setsuna had designed. The celebration for the 'Dark Feather' anniversary was just a few hours away. They went into the living room and found it empty.

"Strange," Haruka wondered, "Where could she be?"

"Where having tea at the backyard," a cheerful voice called out. The two lovers went outside and found Setsuna chatting with Usagi and Mamoru.

"Ohayo," the earth prince greeted, "Setsuna-san told us you two where picking up her latest work."

"Those are the dresses?" the blonde girl got up, "Let me see!" She grabbed one of the plastic bags at random and took the dress out, carefully. It was dark violet and elegant in its simplicity, although the front would be covered the back would be completely bare. Not to mention the hemline running up to the calf would show a lot of leg. "It's beautiful Setsuna-san, you really should make up your mind and design at a professional level."

"Hai," Haruka agreed, "I'll always say it, each design you make just gets better than the last one."

"And I said Hime-chan has enough with two celebrities in the house. Besides, I like designing as a hobby. Doing it as a living would result in a lot of pressure and a lot of mistakes."

"Speaking of which," Mamoru said as he eyed the dress, "I think the seamstress left this one too short." The red-eyed woman raised an eyebrow at that comment and Usagi blinked at the dress she held. Setsuna got up and checked the length.

"Ie, it should fit Hime-chan perfectly."

"Nani?" everyone chorused. Setsuna blinked.

"I guess she could try it on to see how it fits, but I-"

"You know what we mean Setsuna-san," Usagi said, "Don't you think this dress is too grown up for Hotaru-chan?"

"She is growing up you know," Setsuna insisted.

"It's still a surprise," Mamoru said, "I remember how nervous I was when I suspected Chibi-Usa seeing someone. (Who had turned out to be Elios) I can't believe you're so calm about this."

If you knew how hard its becoming to keep this poker face, you wouldn't say that my prince.

"Nevertheless," Michiru said as she took the dress from the blonde girl's hands, "Our Hime-chan will look gorgeous wearing this, ne Haruka?"

"Yeah it's nice," the racer deadpanned, "But don't do think you could've put some sleeves on this thing Setsuna-san?" All that she could think of was the amount of skin Hotaru would be showing. "Or maybe an overcoat."

"Haruka," her aqua-haired lover began, "You always said Hime-chan should be less introverted. How come now you're-" everyone narrowed their eyes as realization hit them, "This wouldn't have anything to do with a certain Mexico-jin attending the affair, ne?" Haruka took a deep breath.

"Look, I don't like him okay." She did have some nasty encounters with him the last three days, encounters in which Hotaru often took his side. "All I did was agree to let Hime-chan be. Speaking of whom, where is she?"

"She's upstairs in her room," Usagi answered, "I think she's showing her lamp collection to Carlos-kun."

"NANI!?" Never did Tenoh Haruka move so fast.

"Eto, Mamo-chan, do you think I should've been a little bit more tactful?"

"Hai Usako, you should have."

Carlos sat on the floor while Kashaku was perched on the windowsill. They both watched as bits of light rose from Hotaru's hands and took a birdlike shape. It spread its wings and fluttered around the room. Carlos watched for a little while, then flicked Hotaru on the nose.

"Ow!"

"You fell into a trance again," the boy said.

"Those illusions are truly useful Lady Saturn. But dangerous if you cannot stay alert while casting them."

"I know, that's why I asked you two to help," the girl replied as she rubbed her nose, "I don't want to become a sitting duck while I use this ability."

"Speaking of exposure, I say we head back to the temple warrior. We don't know when or if our enemy will try to ensnare you again."

"Kashaku-san is right," Hotaru agreed, "I'm sure I'll be able to concentrate better if I knew you're safe at Hikawa temple."

"You're just making up excuses," Carlos answered, "I haven't done anything these last few days. And I only have to be hidden as Karasu no shi, as Carlos Navarro I shouldn't have to."

"Okay, if you're sure about it. How about we try the silent shadow again?"

"I'd say you have that nailed already," the dark-haired boy replied, "our trips downstairs sure proved it."

"Hai," Hotaru replied giggling, "I can't believe I was able to stand besides Setsuna-mama without her even noticing. And everyone believes her to be the all-knowing, all-seeing senshi."

"What I don't believe is that you didn't let me take the cookies," Carlos huffed.

"It wouldn't be right. Besides, I thought you don't have to eat."

"But I do have a sweet-tooth."

"I would've enjoyed a nibble myself," the guardian added, "But you have not answered my previous question lady Saturn. When did you learn the silent shadow?"

"I guess always knew the technique, I just didn't realize it," Hotaru answered with a sigh, "I've told you how I used to be bullied back at my old school, this made me want to stay unnoticed so I wouldn't get hurt. I guess I developed the silent shadow out of that."

"And you thought people just ignored you," the undead teen guessed.

"One major drawback if you ask me," Hotaru said glumly. She shook her head. "Let bygones be bygones. Let's try another illusion." She gathered speck of light again and gave them shape, this time that of a butterfly. Carlos noticed that his friend managed to stay awake a little longer this time, but she fell into the trance and he woke her in the usual fashion.

"(Grumble) Keep that up and I'll bite your nose off!"

"Ooh, so that's where the line is." Carlos leaned closer, "Are you mad enough to back up your threat," he challenged. Hotaru glared at him for a while then let a nasty little smile bend her lips. She leaned towards him, getting her face closer to his.

"Caw!" The call startled the two teenagers. "Lady Uranus is approaching. I will leave know in order to keep appearances. And do try to behave warrior," Kashaku added as he took off.

"Like Don Tenoh is the perfect gentleman," Carlos huffed.

"Well, we better get down and greet her and Michiru-mama," she got up quickly but didn't count on her foot falling asleep. "Carlos-san!" she called as she fell forward flailing her arms.

"I gotcha-oomph!" Carlos caught Hotaru but still fell to the floor with her on top. Both their eyes went wide open and their faces bright red. He kept her from getting hurt, but his hand had ended up in a particular area of her torso. " Uh...perdón...I" He tried to move his hand away.

"Ie!" the dark-haired girl gasped, "Don't move, I... I'll get up." Hotaru had hardly begun to rise when both teenagers felt a very threatening aura coming from the door. They turned and a saw a very, very angry Haruka Tenoh.

"Gaijin," she growled, "get your hands off Hime-chan and get your hentai carcass out of this house!"

"Haruka," Hotaru said as she sat up, "I fell and Carlos-san tried to break my fall. He didn't try anything, it just," the girl blushed a bit, "umm, fell there."

"But if thinking otherwise upsets you," the undead teen suggested, "by all means Don Tenoh, do go on." Haruka tightened her fists and Hotaru rolled her eyes.

"Still Navarro," the sand-blonde continued with fake politeness, "I would appreciate it if you left, now."

"Fine, fine. I've got things to do anyway." He strode by Haruka receiving a glare.

"Matte Carlos-san, I'll go with you," Hotaru called out, "I'm supposed to meet with Reiko-san today."

"Just like that?" the racer asked as she walked down the aisle behind the young girl, "You should let us know when you're going out you know."

"I told Setsuna-mama," the dark-haired girl responded, "And it's not like you ever tell anything to anyone," she added harshly. Haruka came to a halt, part of her knew that what she just heard was true, and that hurt. And it was also the third time this week her Hime-chan called her Haruka just like that.

"So Hotaru-chan doesn't know what kind of a dress she's wearing?" Usagi asked Setsuna as she put on her jacket.

"Ie," the mocha-skinned woman answered, "Hime-chan is still too introverted, and I thought that dressing up nicely would help her. The reason I haven't told her about this dress is because she would be hard to convince into wearing it."

"Don't worry, I'm sure she'll think of it as a pleasant surprise," Mamoru assured.

"Who'll think it's a pleasant surprise, Señor Chiba?" Carlos asked as he came down the stairs.

"We're talking about the dress Hotaru-chan is going to wear for tonight," the earth prince answered. He raised an eyebrow, "And if I were you, I'd start thinking of a good compliment already. Usako, for example, can get quite moody if she doesn't get one."

"For that Mamo-chan, you're going to have to come up with a mega-compliment," the blonde said while she elbowed her husband playfully. "You are going to the dance, ne Carlos-kun?"

"I'm not quite sure yet," the boy answered, "On one hand I would probably bore myself out of my skull at such a fancy place," he tilted his head and grinned, "on the other hand, it would really spite Don Tenoh if I took Hotaru."

"Spite? Is that all my company is worth to you Carlos-san?" Hotaru asked as she joined the group.

"Of course not!" Carlos defended himself, "it's just one of the fun parts." Hotaru raised an eyebrow. "Lesser fun parts," the boy added. Hotaru tapped her foot. "I'm in trouble now, aren't I," he asked Mamoru.

"Hai, pretty much," the black-haired man assured him. "Hotaru-chan, Setsuna-san told us you were going to see Reiko-chan, would you like us to give you a ride?"

"Hai, I would like that."

"I'm leaving as well," Carlos declared, "Adiós everyone."

"Matte Carlos-kun," Usagi called out, "Where are you going? Mamo-chan and I could give you a lift."

"Me? Uh, well, I'm going to..." How do I get out of this? He couldn't just tell them he was going back to his hiding place at Rei's home.

"You're coming with me silly, have you forgotten?" Hotaru butted in; "You were going to tell Reiko-san and I something about Aztec legends."

"Ah sí, that assignment, help you guys. Where is my head these days?"

"Eto, let's get going then," said a baffled Usagi, "Sayonara Setsuna-san, Michiru-san."

"Bye bye," the emerald-haired woman said.

"See you at the party," the ocean princess added as she closed the door. "Carlos-san was acting a bit strangely, don't you think?"

"No stranger than the two of you," Setsuna replied with a wink. Both women giggled as they went upstairs.

*****

Whirlpool compound:

Allen Poe yanked the blonde wig off his head and dropped onto the chair exhausted. He'd been to a hundred houses from one of the lists Dr. Hawkins had come up with, and was nowhere nearer to finding that girl. Not only that, he was expected to be at the office in a couple of minutes. The phone rang and an annoyed Allen picked it up. "Poe speaking... (Sigh) Is it so hard to understand? Relay waiters and music bands. I want the event to last all night, and the only people who will be getting tired will be the guests...I don't care about the cost, you know I can afford it... Just stop asking senseless questions and get to work," the man ordered as he slammed the phone, "Idiotic buffoons." Poe buried his face in his hands. This was supposed to be a lot easier.

"Mr. Poe, sir," an annoying voice called from the door, "The tailors have your suit ready, as well as Miss Kara's gown, and she has taken care of Mr. Smith's assigned accident also. And here is a new list of addresses. If I may be so bold sir, are you about to realize this is going to be a fruitless search?"

"The only fruitless searches are the ones that are given up Hawkins," the dark-haired man responded as he got up and out of his costume. "And I don't appreciate people getting bold before me," he added with a dark glare that had predictable results on the scientist.

"My apologies sir," Hawkins replied as he rubbed his temple and tried to shake the fright out. "Is there anything else you want me to do?"

"Just keep doing your job Hawkins and keep Chris and Blaze in check, they're growing restless with all this waiting," Poe ordered as he put on his tie. "And also, the grand event is quite near, I hope you've already chosen a proper attire."

"Sir, I don't believe my assistance to said event will result productive."

"Think Hawkins, think. We'll be surrounded by rich and stressed out investors, tycoons and artist. Many of which should have families on the brink, there will be a lot of dark energy available to us and I'll need some of your devices and know-how." Allen Poe finished dressing up. "Besides, you're my best worker so far, I need you to be relaxed. So you're going to the party."

"I guess every dance should have a geek," Kara announced as she strolled into the room, "Although I wish you'd be more choosy with whom you invite honey." She reached up and kissed him on the lips.

"You may go back to work Hawkins. And make sure that Smith's surviving family is well taken care of."

"Didn't the nerd tell you?" Kara asked, "His wife and kids were with him, no one survived."

"Oh, never mind then." The doctor was dismissed and the coupled entered the elevator. Once the doors closed, Kara's cheerful demeanor became quite serious.

"Allen, I need to talk to you about Paul's behavior."

"Is there anything wrong? So far, he's been acting introverted and silent, in other words, as always."

"I'm serious Allen!" the mocha-skinned woman spat, "Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Paul, he's not a chauvinist pig like Chris or Blaze. But I have to tell you. Ever since he came back from that mission at the school, he's been snooping around. I've seen him come in and out of the computer room, asking Hawkins' assistants what they know about you, hell, he's even tried to get me to tattletale on you." Allen just hummed to show he was paying attention. He was well aware of Paul's activities, but wasn't worried. The really important information was well hidden. Besides, Paul still had a purpose that he would soon complete.

"I don't think it's a priority, but I'll keep my eye on him. Right now there are more important things to attend."

"Well, while you do that, I'll go talk some sense into the martyr. And if things get difficult," she gave an uninterested shrug, "I guess he'll blow his top." Poe saw Kara pet her gun, this was not good. With a swift motion he took her chin and lifted her face.

"Forget Paul," he commanded. The woman's eyes went wide and blank. He let her go and turned away while she stayed motionless until the elevator came to a stop. When he finally stepped out of the elevator and into his office, Kara snapped out of the trance.

"Don't forget honey, I want a princess' treatment at the party."

"I promise it will be the night of your dreams." Kara smiled her reply and went back to the sublevels. Even though I prefer to give out nightmares.

*****

Mamoru Chiba drove down the streets of Juban. Usagi sat in the passenger's seat while Hotaru and Carlos rode in the back. The latter kept himself silent while looking out the window, trying to sense whether there was anything wrong.

"It's a bummer when you think about it," the undead teen spoke at last, "You see a country through movies and TV and they only show you the good side. But when you get there, you're left alone to discover the ugly side."

"I understand," Usagi responded, "Everything seems swell when you're a kid. Then you grow up and meet reality face to face." She turned to face Carlos, "Have you had any bad experiences here Carlos-kun?"

"I've had bad experiences everywhere."

"Carlos-san," Hotaru gave her friend a worried glance.

"I'm okay, really. To tell the truth, I think I'm finally learning to take the bad and do something good with it."

"When life gives you lemons make lemonade," Mamoru quoted, "I've heard five different versions of that one out of Mina-chan." Everyone in the car laughed while the aforementioned blonde sneezed. "But things have been a bit awkward lately," the black-haired man continued, "Over the last few weeks there had been an increase in muggings and gang activities. But these last few days things seem to have gone back to normal."

"They should go lower than normal," the violet-eyed girl added, "thanks to someone I might mention." She gave Carlos a wink.

"Ah sí, the senshi. They must have kept themselves busy with that crime-wave."

"I was talking about the Karasu," Hotaru corrected, letting out a deep breath.

"Hai," the odango-headed blonde seconded, "He's the one who should get the credit for cleaning up the streets. The senshi take care of things that are more in the field of the supernatural. And with the way he's been acting, I'd say the crime level should go much lower than normal."

", I've seen the news reports. What do you think about him?"

"He acts like a psychotic," Mamoru answered without hesitation, "What else can I say about someone who beats his victims to a pulp and then draws a bird with their blood."

"Mamo-chan!"

"Okay, maybe the guy's not a saint," Carlos replied, "But he does get the job done. These gangs, their heads have no room for reason. The only thing they understand and respect is power," he made a tight fist, "If fear is the only way they'll stay behind the line, then so be it."

"That's the way tyrants acted Carlos-san," Hotaru pointed out, "and they didn't exactly become very popular because of that."

"Hotaru, I don't think he wants to be a ruler, he simply wants to keep order." Carlos leaned back and crossed his arms behind his head. "Besides, why would a dead guy give a damn about his popularity?"

"How do you know he's undead?" Usagi asked. Carlos gulped and Hotaru slapped him on the arm.

"Uh, well, I, it's one of those things you hear on the streets. You know, rumors and tall-tales. The Karasu being a sort of ghost is simply the most popular story."

"Or maybe he just wants people to believe that," the pale girl guessed, "so that he'll be remembered as something more than just another plain old psycho." Carlos gave her a brief glare as she stuck out her tongue in a cutesy manner. Usagi and Mamoru however, wondered how their young friend in the backseat had come up with that.

"Anyway," the black-haired man continued, "the way a person acts doesn't necessarily means that is his personality. I truly believe that Karasu no shi is a good being deep inside. All he needs is for someone to let him know that."

"Señor Chiba, how could you possibly know that?" the undead teen questioned as he leaned forward.

"I know a thing or two about people who wear masks," he plainly replied. Carlos leaned back with a worried look on his face. Had he been careless during his stay at Hikawa? He didn't have much time to think about it, for at that moment a tire was thrown at the car! Mamoru didn't lose much control but he did come to a stop, which was what the four thugs who threw the wheel wanted. Within a moment they were surrounding the vehicle.

"Come on out and give us all you got in your pockets," one with a red Mohawk ordered, "please." Everyone did as they had been told, Usagi warning her two young friends to remain calm. Even though she was quite frightened herself. But Carlos, as you may have probably guessed, wouldn't remain put.

"You know, my friends and I were just talking about how dangerous these streets were becoming."

"Were you?" a skinny punk with green hair asked, "So why didn't you and you little girlfriend stay inside?" Hotaru tried to challenge him but Carlos held her back.

"I meant, dangerous for you."

"Caw!"

Kashaku gave out a very loud call as he landed on the hood of the car and gave each gang member a cold stare. The Mohawk simply shrugged and advanced towards Mamoru.

"Enough wasting time. Give me your money and-Nani?" He saw all of his friends escaping. "Where are you going?"

"Duh! That's a crow, baka, and you know what that means."

"You stupid cowards!" the punk yelled. He turned his attention towards Mamoru, who now had Carlos beside him and they were both in a defensive stance. "I'm not afraid of some blackbird. No do as I say or-"

"I would follow your companions' example," the guardian warned in a voice only the punk could hear, "Otherwise I shall dine on your eyes." The punk gulped and shook nervously. To add to his fear, Carlos lowered his sunglasses a bit, revealing his black eyes. The punk finally ran away screaming. And before anyone could ask anything, Kashaku flew away as swiftly and as high as he could.

"Mamo-chan," the princess asked as she approached her husband, "do you think that was...the guardian?" she whispered.

"I don't think it was Karasu's crow," Carlos butted in, setting his glasses back into place, "He wouldn't have missed the chance of beating a lesson into these pendejos." And believe me Señora Chiba, I really wanted to.

"Whatever, let's hurry out of here," Usagi pleaded, "this experience has really creeped me out."

After getting back in the car and driving a few minutes, Carlos got close to his amethyst-eyed friend and whispered in her ear.

"Hotaru, I noticed you moving your fingers right before we left. Did you do something back there?" The girl gave a tiny grin.

"Let's just say, people will know Karasu no shi was there."

Back at the spot where they had their encounter, some white flames were coming from the ground. Seen from above one would be able to see a crow's silhouette.

*****

Evening came, and the celebration for 'Dark Feather' tenth anniversary began. Allen Poe had rented the best reunion hall in all of Juban. It was a virtual palace, and high-priced experts had designed the chosen decorations. Everyone who was someone had been invited, and while they all thought it had been close ties that had brought them here, Poe's reasons were more selfish and darker.

Usagi, Mamoru, Makoto and Minako stood just outside the door and about to enter.

"Well, it's not the tower," the odango-headed blonde commented with slight disappointment, "But what the hey? We can have a good time anywhere, ne Mamo-chan?"

"You two will surely have a good time," Makoto said, "Me, I'll be boring myself out of my skull while Andre-chan's working at the kitchen." The tall brunette gave a deep breath of resignation, "Still, there's a chance he might finish up early, so I can hope for at least one dance."

"Well, you can mope all night if you want to. Me, I'm cutting loose," Minako rubbed her palms eagerly, "Mother's, lock up your boys, Mina-P is in party mood." She headed forward leaving her friends quite stunned.

"Andre-chan read some roman mythology to me once, of how Venus never settled for just one love. Do you think-?"

"Just don't let Mina-chan know," Usagi warned, "I still remember that time she tried dating two guys at once all too well."

"At any rate," Mamoru said, "Let's go in, Setsuna-tachi must be waiting." As they went inside, out of the corner of his eye he noticed two cats sprint over the wall. Not only that, he also heard wings flutter. He thought about this. Should I…Ie, better not haste. Besides, what's important now is Usako enjoying herself. The future king dismissed his concerns as he pulled his wife closer beside him.

The outer senshi had been the first to arrive. Just as they had expected, Hotaru had protested a little about her attire, but not as long as everyone thought. She put it on and accompanied her parents with an unusual, albeit small, measure of confidence. The dark-haired girl had failed to hide her slight blushing however, and now, she just wanted to cast her silent shadow and get away. But since she was feeling so many eyes upon her, she was unable. They were amongst conversation when Reiko ran up to them.

"Konbanwa minna-san," the redhead greeted cheerfully, "Hotaru-chan, you look great!"

"Arigato, but it's the dress what looks pretty. Setsuna-mama's the one you should be praising."

"Nonsense Hime-chan," the emerald-haired woman corrected, "If a piece of cloth looks good, it is only because of the one who wears it."

"That's right," Michiru added, "Don't doubt it Hime-chan. You look terrific."

"Arigato," she replied shyly. By the silence, let me just vanish into thin air.

"Ah, just the person I was hoping to find," a male voice called out. Everyone turned and saw Allen Poe approaching. Beside him was a dark skinned woman wearing a quite revealing dress and a short man with white hair and thick glasses followed them both. "Miss Meioh, I'm so glad you and you family could make it."

"Konbanwa Poe-san," Setsuna greeted back, "Allow me to introduce to you, Kaioh Michiru, Tenoh Haruka, Tomoe Hotaru and this is her friend Hibiki Reiko. Minna-san, these are Allen Poe and his fiancée, Kara Matthews."

"Did you say Tomoe?" The white haired man got close to Hotaru and began to observe her closely; this bothered the pale girl and bothered Haruka even more.

"May I help you?" the latter protested.

"You must pardon Dr. Hawkins," Poe apologized, "He usually acts that way when something really interests him."

"Yes, I'm sorry," Hawkins said a bit nervously before Haruka's presence, "It had been the child's name what caught my attention. And I also noticed how much she resembles Mrs. Tomoe."

"You knew Momma?" Hotaru asked as she shoved her way past Haruka.

"Not much really, but I did know your father, Souichi. We studied together and worked on a few projects together after graduation. We were a great team at times, whenever we didn't compete for recognition. But then we lost contact when he began his research on dimensional travel and I started on other projects under Mr. Poe's contract."

"Dimensional travel? Cool!" Reiko exclaimed, ignorant to Hotaru's history, "And what did you work on?"

"At first, cybernetics, joining flesh with machine. In fact, it was a project that Souichi and I had worked on for-"

"Gomen," Hotaru interrupted, "I need to be someplace else now." Without another word, she left, with Reiko following.

"Let me guess," Kara butted in, "Einstein here once again stuck his foot in his mouth."

"Umm, ie," Setsuna answered, "It's just that Hime-chan has a phobia against robots."

"That is curious," Poe commented, "Well, if you'll excuse me, I've got other guests to greet. And please tell young Miss Tomoe that I wish her well."

"We will," Michiru replied, "Arigato Poe-san."

"I'll stay with Setsuna a while longer," Kara excused herself, "She must tell me about these outfits."

"Just don't expect me to make something like that," the emerald-haired woman responded.

"Very well," Poe said, "I'll come back for you later." Once they were a distance away, Poe spoke to the doctor. "Well Hawkins? What do you think about Miss Meioh?"

"She is quite a find Sir," Hawkins said as he observed a hidden screen within his glasses, "However, you might want to see the results from observing the Tomoe child." Poe raised an eyebrow and turned towards Hotaru, who was a distance away. He chanted a light spell and his eyes went wide in surprise.

"Do you still think it was useless coming here Hawkins? Call for Chris, Blaze and your assistants, I must have that girl."

"Right away Mr. Poe, Sir."

From the top of a tall wall, right above a window, Luna listened to the music, wagging her tail to the rhythm.

"You know Artemis-kun? Sometimes I wish we could just break the rules and go anywhere as humans along with Usagi-tachi. And the melody sounds so sweet," she added with a purr.

"Does that mean you're not mad at me anymore?" her white-furred mate asked.

"Ie, still." Artemis let out a sigh. Luna had found out about Karasu's identity shortly after the battle at Mugen's former grounds. Although she understood the need for secrecy, part of her was upset at her mate for keeping something from her.

"It's nice that all five of us finally got a chance to be together," Deimos said, "Onee-chan and I were becoming a bit bored…" The female crow ruffled her feathers and then shifted to her sprite form. "Kuso, I really need to practice."

"Guardian Kashaku told us this would take time," her crimson twin commented, "And you also think I'm boring?"

"Ie," the blue sprite defended, "It's just that among the two of us there's not much to-Guardian Kashaku, is everything all right?"

"I still say the warrior is over exposing himself" Kashaku said gruffly, "True, it would not be healthy for him to remain cloistered for too long. But if our enemy can manage to get control over an individual of his power-"

"Kashaku-san, relax," Artemis told him, "First of all, we saw what happened when the whirlpool gang first tried that, Carlos-san will never allow anyone to control him. Second, the senshi are there, they'll take care no evil befalls him. Especially Hotaru-chan."

"Sir Artemis, could a bit of princess Venus' be rubbing off on you?" Phobos questioned.

"They're friends," the cat pointed out firmly, "And I know neither of them have had many their entire lives."

"That's an issue which also concerns me," the guardian added, "Lady Saturn." The four other animals got closer with interest. "It's her knowledge of the silent shadow. It is well known that mortal mages posses stealth spells, our present foes prove that. I've observed lady Saturn during her practices, trying to figure out what sort of magic she uses, but there's no doubt, she makes use of the original silent shadow."

"And there's something wrong with that?" Luna asked.

"Not wrong lady Luna, it's just-" Kashaku sighed, "Maybe I should say nothing more."

"Kashaku-san!" the black cat scolded, "You can't keep this a secret now, we'll all become sick with worry."

"Ara!" Phobos gasped, "Now I remember, mortals are supposed to be unable to use the silent shadow."

"Hai," Deimos seconded, snapping her fingers, "Umm, why is that again?"

"It's a technique exclusive to the undead." Both cats jaw-dropped when they heard this.

"Matte, Hotaru-chan cannot be such a thing, Luna-chan and I would sniff it out instantly."

"Indeed, she is very much alive. Which makes this situation-Something troubles the warrior."

"Something wrong?" the blue sprite inquired.

"I don't know. Wait here for me."

"Hotaru-chan, someday you're going to tell me about this thing you've got towards robots."

"They bring back bad memories Reiko-san, let's just leave it at that." The redhead nodded, she looked up and her eyes lit up.

"Well I see something that will cheer you up instantly." Hotaru raised her head and saw Carlos. As expected, his entire suit was black, shirt, tie and suit. Not a spot of color on him. He tried to approach the pair with confidence, but wasn't expecting his friend to look like that.

"Hotaru you…well, you look, uh…" The dark-haired girl's head went down timidly. His words had been quite clear, to one who knows how to listen.

"You look great sempai," Reiko greeted, "Although the rugged hunk look suits you better, ne Hotaru-chan?"

"Reiko-san! So, Carlos-san, are you enjoying yourself so far?"

"Not so much really, and I'm glad to find some familiar faces," the undead teen said, "I was starting to regret coming here."

"I know what you mean," Reiko said, "The foods good, the music's nice, but this is a place for older folks. Now that I think about it, coming here wasn't such a hot idea after all."

"By the way, how did you get here?" Hotaru wondered, "You didn't mention coming here when we went to see you this afternoon."

"Ie. But my uncle's dentist play doubles at tennis at a country club. His regular partner has a cousin whose best friend is a lawyer. That lawyer works at a firm and one of his partners is client to this big shot accountant. Who was owed a favor by the guy who does the booking here. So here I am."

"Uh hai, that explains it."

"Señorita Hino's father works in politics, right? Maybe you could teach us how to move some strings in our benefit."

"Don't even think about it," Hotaru warned, emphasizing each word. The trio laughed a while, and went on to talk about other nonsense. Reiko perked up when she heard the music change to a more cheerful tempo.

"It may still be classic, but there's a tune I could definitely move my feet to," she turned to Carlos, "Wanna dance sempai?"

"Qué?" The boy cursed mentally, he was hoping to make it through this event without going near the dance floor. Although deep inside he was hoping to do so, just not with Reiko. "I guess so."

"Good," the redhead reached out and shoved her friend towards the black-clad boy, "You two have fun while I get something to eat. Ta-ta." The pair just stood there, holding each other.

"Quite the matchmaker, isn't she?"

"Hai," Hotaru agreed, "She could teach Mina-san a thing or two." She blushed a bit when she noticed the position they were in. The undead teen couldn't do so, but felt the same way. They looked at each other in awkward silence.

"So, umm, do you want to?"

"Don't look now Carlos-san," the girl said in an amused tone, "But we already are."

"Qué?" Indeed, somehow they both had moved to the center of the room and were dancing in perfect synch to the melody. He wanted to say something, but instead held her arms in the proper way. She just smiled back; there was no need for words.

"I must admit, Poe-san is quite a character, as well as Matthews-san," Michiru commented as she sipped her drink. "Yet, for some reason they make the hair in the back of my neck stand up." She thought about this but quickly rejected the idea that was forming. She had to learn to be more trustful. Lucky for her, a sigh from Haruka caught her attention. The aqua-haired woman looked up and noticed the sand-blonde was staring at something. She followed her line of vision and saw Carlos and Hotaru dancing. "Haruka, please don't say anything negative, please."

"The look in her eyes."

"Nani?"

"The look in Hime-chan's eyes," Haruka repeated, "It's rare, but I've seen it many times before. In Usagi-chan when she's with Mamoru-kun; in Mako-chan when she and Shigeru-san are together," she turned to her love, "and in your eyes, whenever you look at me." She shook her head sadly, "There's no way I can stop them, ne?" Michiru chuckled and gave Haruka a kiss.

"How about, for once we stop worrying about the young ones, and just follow their example?" As a response, Haruka took Michiru's hand and led her to the dance floor. She gave her one more kiss before starting to dance.

Hotaru looked around to see who else was dancing. Sure enough, there were Usagi and Mamoru. She looked around a little longer and found Minako with some guy she picked up, and so was Reiko. Last, she saw her parents, Haruka and Michiru. She made eye contact with the former and saw, contrary to what was expected, a look of approval. Hotaru gave a warm grin. Maybe that feud between her two loved ones was finally over. Carlos-san a loved one!?

"Qué?" Carlos came to a sudden halt, causing Hotaru to bump into him.

"Ouch. Carlos-san, why'd you stop?" The boy said nothing. "What's wrong?" He didn't reply, he just stormed out of there. Puzzled, and extremely worried, Hotaru followed.

"They just won't give me a chance, will they? The moment I find something good, something that makes me forget my pain, they show up and destroy it!" Carlos grabbed a rosebush and tore away some branches. The thorns bore deep into his hand.

"Warrior, what troubles you?" Kashaku asked as he landed. He glanced over the warrior's shoulder to see Hotaru coming. "Lady Saturn, did something wrong occur?"

"I don't know Kashaku-san." She stood next to Carlos and noticed his bloody hand. "Baka! You might as well wear a sign that says you're Karasu no shi." Tenderly, she removed the thorny stems, the wounds sealed before she had a chance to use her power. "Now calm down and tell us what's wrong."

"They're here, the ones that killed my family."

"Nani?" "Caw?"

"One of them at least." He turned, "Look inside." Hotaru did so and saw Kara talking with Setsuna. For a moment she was at a loss, but then her eyes went wide with recognition as she recalled her dreams.

"Chikuso, she's-!"

"Acting here would cause a panic warrior," the crow warned, "Subdue your anger before it blinds you!"

"I'm not that stupid Kashaku," Carlos growled, "Besides, I can't do a thing against her."

"Yes, that is very true."

"Nani? What do you mean? Why can't you attack Kara?"

"Give me your hand." Hotaru did so and stared at the mocha-skinned woman once more. Here eyes went even wider.

"Ara!" She shook her head, "Still, we must do something, this concerns both our parties. I'll get Setsuna-mama and the others, you…I really hate it when he does that."

Far below the balcony, among the grass where Carlos blood had dripped, something began to grow.

"Seriously Kara-san," Setsuna said, "I simply can't fathom your reasons for showing up in public dressed like that."

"I feel comfortable with my body," the other woman responded, "What's the point of being gorgeous if you keep it hidden?"

"The point is, discretion. I know, that a good attire must attract attention, but not morbidity."

"Setsuna-mama," Hotaru interrupted, "I need to talk to you, now."

"You're Hotaru, right?" Kara asked, "What do you think, does it really matter if an outfit shows too much skin?" She glimpsed at the girl's back, "My, my, look at who I'm asking."

"Uh, I'm too young for that subject." It was hard to act naturally, now that she knew this woman was a murderer. "Setsuna-mama, now!"

"Matte Hime-chan, what is it?" The girl never could answer, for at that moment something crashed through the windows. After the initial confusion, everyone turned to see what it was. A multi-headed plant youma, roots for legs and vines instead of arms. It had been dormant for years until Carlos' undead blood awoke it. Even with all she had witnessed and done, Kara was frozen.

"Let's go!" Allen called out as he grabbed his lover. Hotaru and Setsuna pretended to follow but then sidetracked to find their princess. Kara and Poe were almost at the door when a panicked woman got in front of them.

"Help me! Get me out of here!"

"Foolish woman, get out of our-" suddenly, Poe went into a coughing fit. Kara tried to carry her lover out to safety, but the other one just kept being an obstacle. So the dark-haired one pulled out a gun.

"Out of our way!" Kara ordered as she shot the woman's head. "Now, let's get you somewhere safe."

"Get me to the compound," Poe ordered through coughs, "we need to get the others. Now!"

Still inside, the youma was ensnaring the slow escapees and draining from their life force. Usagi met with the others elsewhere and immediately henshined.

"Eternal moon power, make up!" Everyone else followed suit.

"All of us came here tonight, looking for a chance to forget and escape our troubled lives. You broke that sweet illusion and for doing so, in the name of the moon, we will punish you!"

"Sailor Venus, Uranus, Saturn, you three help us with the youma," Tuxedo Kamen ordered, "the rest of you, get the people to safety."

"I'll go check on Andre-chan," Jupiter announced, "I'll catch up with you later." She sprinted towards the kitchen.

"Right!" Mercury answered, "Let's go!"

Sailor Mars headed for Reiko who was wrapped up in a vine.

"Fire soul!" the flame cut through with ease, releasing the girl. The fire senshi stood between monster and victim and threw a burning Mandala. "There, now let's get you to-" Something in her head snapped, she spun to see two spear-like branches head towards her! She would've surely been skewered, if Karasu hadn't showed up with his katana.

"And I thought you had a sixth sense to avoid these things."

"Cut the sarcasm kabuki," Mars retorted, "help us get these people out."

"You're the protector Mars, me," he rubbed his thumb against the weapon's edge, "I'm the destroyer."

"Che. You okay little girl?"

"Hai, domo arigato Sailor Mars," Reiko said as she stood up wobbly, "Where are my friends? They were here a moment ago!"

"They're fine," the fire senshi assured, "Now get out of here."

"Right," the redhead made her way out, "Be sure to trash that thing." Mars wondered for a moment why Reiko didn't seem weakened at all, but quickly placed her attention on more urgent matters.

Karasu leaped towards the youma, slicing everything in his path. His plan was to get its full attention while the people got out, and it was working. But the undead warrior underestimated the beast, it was a lot stronger than the shrews at the warehouse. Four branches went into his chest, and he was sent away from there, landing at Sailor Saturn's feet."

"Karasu, are you all right?" the silent senshi asked with worry, not caring what the others would think.

"Just fine," he said as he yanked the branches out.

"Lesson one, kabuki," Uranus mocked, "It's better to use attacks from a distance against certain types of foes."

"I'll remember that next time we face each other."

"Cut it out you two!" Sailor Moon scolded, "It's getting away." Now that most of the people had left or had been drained, and with so many adversaries around; the youma had decided to make a run for it. "Come on! We mustn't let it loose in the city."

*****

It moved quite fast for a plant, within seconds they were far away from the resort, leaping from rooftop to rooftop. Sailor Venus, Uranus and Karasu kept up with it easily. The two senshi used their attacks against it while he used his guns. But neither seemed to take effect.

Remember how you shot the drone in the mouth, pendejo. Use your head. "Kashaku! Is that building up ahead empty?" The guardian, who was soaring high above with the twins, went ahead and scanned the construction.

"There are no human mortals inside."

"Good." Karasu took an explosive from his belt and threw it to the window with all of his strength. The explosion caused a large section of the building to fall right on top of the youma, causing it to land on top of a department store. All that concrete on its head had hurt, but it would not stop it. It dug its way out, planning to find the one who did this and ripping his or head off. Instead, it saw Eternal Sailor Moon, with her power tier extended.

"Silver Moon, crystal power kiss!" Karasu no shi, watched as the beast was blasted away. He gave a long whistle.

"Órale! One thing's for sure, I don't want to be at the wrong end of that attack."

"Does that mean you're fighting with us?" the princess asked hopefully.

"Not against you, that's all I'm saying," he replied with a grin. Which faded once a glaring Uranus got between them.

"Step away from the princess, kabuki," the wind senshi warned.

"Uranus! Are you oblivious to the fact he helped us?"

"And this doesn't seem like the time to argue," Venus interjected, "Take a look behind." All three did so and saw Tuxedo Kamen, and the rest of the senshi, fighting the largest drone swarm they had ever seen.

"Ara!" Sailor Moon exclaimed, "What's the meaning of this?"

"It means, I want my prey now."

They turned again and saw the whirlpool gang standing in the hole the explosion had caused. Chris, Blaze, Kara and a non-descript man with long hair, cloak and a medallion. His face was hidden by shadows.

"All drones, target the Karasu," he commanded with a thunderous voice, "NOW!"