Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Warning: Part of this chapter may seem too violent and graphic for some readers. Discretion is advised.

Chapter fourteen:

Whirlpool compound:

"Mr. Poe, sir, this is completely illogical, inefficient and irrational!" Hawkins ranted, "There must be thousands of teenage girls with short, black hair in the city of Tokyo and we don't even have a name. Finding the right one will take years to accomplish."

"And it will take a lot longer if you don't start working on it Hawkins," Allen Poe replied calmly, "I don't require specific results, all I need are addresses. And it's not that large an area to search, we only have to cover Juban and Shinagawa."

"But it will still be-" the mad doctor was silenced with a glare.

"Just follow the established parameters and concentrate the first search on Juban, I know we'll find her there." Poe adjusted his tie and went outside. Hawkins shook his head and turned on a large monitor. On it, he could see an unfocused picture of a young girl. It was practically nothing to work on, but Poe would not be convinced otherwise. Grumbling, the doctor sat down on the computer and began to gather data, he was too scared to disobey.

*****

Hikawa shrine, morning:

Rei Hino swept the autumn leaves away from the entrance, she liked to keep a tidy appearance, whether people came or not. And today there would be company, the maiden heard footsteps and looked up. She saw Setsuna, Minako and Hotaru approach.

"Ohayo Minna-san," she greeted, "What brings you here so early?"

"Carlos-san," Setsuna replied, "After what Mina-chan told us last night, Hime-chan became anxious to come see him."

"Which helps explain what she is doing out of the hospital," the blonde pointed out, "I thought you weren't going to use your powers."

"I wasn't until I heard what had happened. And I didn't heal completely, just enough for Dr. Mizuno to let me out," Hotaru put her hand on her side, "still feels a bit sore though."

"Anyway, come inside," Rei offered, "I'm sure Carlos-san will be glad to see you."

"Don't forget to-"

"Quiet Minako!"

Rei led her friends towards the guestroom, where she was expecting to find Carlos. Instead, they found him exercising at the yard where he'd been left last night. The boy had taken off his coat and shirt in order to move more comfortably. His build was deceptively lean, and he threw punches and kicks with such fierceness, one would think he was trying to break the air in half.

"I'd say that work out is doing Carlos-kun a lot of good, ne Hotaru-chan?" Minako teased. The violet-eyed girl just blushed. She wasn't going to say it, but for a moment there she was beginning to stare at his friend's muscle tone.

"Exercising again so early?" Rei asked ignoring the blonde.

"Still exercising so late," the undead teen corrected making the four senshi sweatdrop. "What are you doing out of the hospital Hotaru?" he asked sternly.

"Making sure you're all right," the girl answered in a similar tone while stepping forward, "I'm not the kind of person that leaves her friends alone when they're in danger you know."

"And you should know that I am not the kind of person who lets his friends risk themselves for my sake. You should have stayed put." Before Hotaru could reply, Carlos looked up at Setsuna, "Am I right Señorita Meioh?"

"I must say that I agree Carlos-san," the mocha-skinned woman said, "You have friends that worry about your sake too Hime-chan."

"Matte," Hotaru held up her hand, "at what point did this become a lecture against me?" Minako giggled while Rei tapped her finger on her arm.

"Before anyone says anything else," the raven-haired girl said, "Could you put on some clothes Carlos-san? You are in a temple."

"Ah sí, perdón," Carlos picked up his coat and followed the group into the guestroom.

"Is there something wrong with your powers Carlos-kun?" Minako asked after they got inside.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Because of that large scar on your chest," the blonde replied while pointing at it, "I thought your powers regenerated any wound you sustained." Carlos rubbed his fingers over it while the other three took notice. It was dark red and shaped in an explosive pattern, pretty hard not to notice.

"It's a wound from the bullet that killed me," the dark-eyed boy answered, "went all the way through me." He turned around to show them a similar scar on his back. The three longhaired senshi couldn't help cringing a little.

"The bullet that Chris shot before pushing you from the pier, ne?" Hotaru asked.

"Sí-" Carlos' eyes widened.

"Hime-chan, how do you know about that?" Setsuna asked in an equally surprised tone. The purple-haired girl sat down and awaited the rest to do so.

"Do you remember those nightmares I told you about Setsuna-mama?"

"I think I do," Minako said recalling the tackling from the other day.

"After the first night at the hospital they began to make sense. I think I took something from Carlos-san the night I found him, memories from his last night alive." Everyone gasped except for Carlos, who unsuccessfully tried to hold back a growl.

"You know my story then," the boy guessed in a low voice.

"Only a few scattered details, enough to make a connection between us," a shadow of a smile crossed Hotaru's lips, "But I want to now the rest. What happened that night Carlos-san?"

"Hai," Rei seconded, "You never finished the story."

"It's not a nice tale. Besides, I was only telling it so Artemis could do that brain-thing, there's no need for you to know anymore."

"But you awakened Rein-chan's and Mina-chan's curiosity, not to mention mine," Setsuna told him, "And I must warn you, Mina-chan can be very tenacious when she wants to."

"Hey!"

"All right, all right, I'll tell you the rest." Carlos glanced sternly at each of them. "But don't say I didn't warn you."

*****

Shinagawa, one year ago:

Carlos had been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, but something in the back of his mind was bothering him. Aw hell, I might as well go apologize to Carmela. He got up, just as he was about to reach the doorknob, he heard a crash and muffled yelling from the next room. Curious, and more than a bit worried, he placed his ear against the door. His eyes widened when he heard his mother cry, the sounds of a fight and another sound that seemed to be his father groaning. He heard other people as well. He pressed his ear closer to the wooden barrier. That's when it suddenly flew open, knocking him down, last thing he heard was his sister shrieking.

*****

Whirlpool compound, present:

Kara stepped in front of the mirror the see how her outfit looked, the fifth this morning; after all, she wanted to look her best for that big party Allen was taking her to. She ran her hands down her body, emphasizing on the curves. Truly, no man would be able to look at her without getting weak knees, yet it wasn't the right dress. Then a familiar itch ran down her face.

"Damn it!" she stepped closer to the mirror. "I can't believe it," she huffed as she ran a finger down her cheek, "A fortune spent in plastic surgery and I still have this scar." In reality, said scar was barely visible. You'd need the help of a magnifying glass in order to notice it, but to Kara it was always present. It also served as a memento for one of her most difficult missions to complete. She sat on a chair, closed her eyes and recalled the events from that night. Things had started out so simple. Who would've thought that kid would be so tough?

*****

Carlos woke up to a slap on his face. "Wakey, wakey sugar." He opened his eyes and saw a woman wearing too-tight clothing. He turned his head and found a whole gang inside his house. A black man with dreadlocks, his face showed disapproval to what his companions were doing, but he did nothing to stop it. Carmen was crying and being held by a skinny man with long red hair. Near the door, his father was being beat up by a large bald man; and at last he found his mother, being groped and slapped by a man with short black hair.

"GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OF HER!" the boy screamed. He tried to get up but Kara held him down.

"My, my, how quickly you turn from an angel to a demon," she observed, "I'm impressed."

"You really shouldn't be lassie," Willy said as he dropped father, "If I was seein' me mum like that, I'd be goin' crazy also."

"I think mommy here is feeling the same way," Chris said as he pulled out a knife. He held it at the woman's throat, her blouse was ripped to shreds and her face was all bloody. "Worried? Can't blame you. After all, a dedicated mother can't let her kids see something like this."

"That is correct," remarked Blaze with his Freudian impersonation "Such trraumas can last a perrson's whole life. No matterr how shorrt they may be."

Mother tried pleading once more for her children's' sake "please...let them go I beg-" Chris' only response was to slap her face.

"Didn't I tell you to keep quiet? I guess the only way to keep you from talking, is to make you moan". The woman cried while Chris and Blaze just laughed.

Carlos closed his eyes tight. But Kara forced them open, "You are watching this honey, Chris likes an attentive audience." They made him witness the horrid spectacle before him. He saw his father unconscious on the floor and heard his mother plead as Chris did the unthinkable. Willy was holding him now while Kara molested Carmen and Blaze was coating the walls with kerosene or a similar liquid. Carlos wasn't crying though, much less pleading, he was enraged.

"Blimey! The lad's got a lot of fight in 'im, doesn't 'e?" Willy observed. He turned to look at Chris, who had finished his cowardly deed, "You done Chris? I think it's me turn for the ol' in and out."

Carmen cried out, "Leave my mama alone!"

Kara dug her nails under the little girl's skirt, causing her to cry out in pain. "Be quiet, or they just might have a go at you," she threatened.

"Might?" Chris chuckled, "It seems that you don't know that well yet, Kara." He walked up to the two females; the look in his eyes would make you shiver. Carmen's displayed terror and Kara's shot cruelty. "You hold the boy while Willy takes mom, I'll be enjoying this fresh piece of ass." Carmen's tears flowed like rapids as Chris reached out to touch her. Carlos was also trembling, out of hate.

"CARMELA!" he broke free from Willy's hold and charged towards his sister's attacker.

"Cor! Chris, get the kid!" But Chris didn't even need the warning. He gave a quick jab and knocked the kid down, he fell to his knees but got up just as quickly. The thug was barely able to catch the Latin teen by his wrists. With a cruel chuckle, Chris kneed him in the stomach.

"My, my, it really angers you to see your sister being bullied, doesn't it?" he held Carlos up by the neck, "That gives me an idea, hey Blaze," the redhead looked up, "Ever been a virgin's first?"

Blaze's eyes lit up, "You're serious?" He ran up to Carmen, who was still being held by Kara, "She may not be blonde, but I will enjoy this." Meanwhile, Chris dragged Carlos a few steps back.

"From here, you will have a good view of both your mommy and your sis," he punched him in the stomach, Carlos spit blood, "and see that you can't do anything to help them." The dark-haired boy moaned in pain, he looked up and saw the bald man violating his mother's body. He looked away, but saw the woman and redhead as they double-teamed his sister. Blaze pulled off Carmen's underwear and forced her legs open. Carlos closed his eyes.

"No, por favor," he heard his sister plead. He opened his eyes again; the images forming in his mind were more ghastly than reality. "NOOO!" Carmen cried and the redhead tore into her. Her brother's hatred against these monsters became more and more nourished. Chris kept beating him, reminding him of his weakness.

Keep tiring yourself pendejo, keep angering me.

The nightmare continued for what seemed like an eternity. Carmen and her mother were raped by all of the thugs, except Paul, who never moved from his position by the door. Carlos' father regained consciousness, only to be beaten by Chris and Willy once more.

"That's enough," the black man spoke at last, "You have toyed with them long enough. It is time we freed them from their pain."

"Aw, come on Paul you never have any fun," Kara complained, she caressed Carmen's tear-soaked cheeks, "Don't you want to taste a sweet angel like her?" Paul responded with a flint like frown. "Jeez, no fun at all," the mocha-skinned temptress huffed as she tied up her top.

Paul stepped away from the door, Carlos saw his chance. He could sprint, grab Carmela and escape. Unfortunately, it meant that they would be the only two would survive. He saw the black man head for his mother first, she was the on farthest from the door.

The boy took a deep breath and recited a mantra. Get Carmela and run. Get Carmela and run. Get Carmela and run. NOW!

In a flurry, Carlos spun and elbowed Willy's face, following with an upward kick to his jaw. Next, he charged towards Kara kicking her face. He felt a little satisfaction when he saw her bleed out of the corner of his eye. Last, he grabbed his sister, who was catatonic from all that she had witnessed and suffered, and fled.

Paul tried to grab the two, but he was too far to reach and the child had moved surprisingly fast. "Blast it! You liberate the ones here, I must attend to the lost children." Saying this, he chased after Carlos and Carmen.

Kara rubbed her face as she got up, her eyes widened when her fingers felt something warm and moist over her cheek. She ran up to a mirror nearby and saw a large, bloody gash 'decorating' her once perfect complexion. "That little son of a bitch!" She ran after Paul and the kids. Chris tried to run after them, but suddenly felt dizzy. He, Willy and Blaze were all drained after raping the women while the kid had been resting and planning his escape.

"Damn it! What are you two waiting for? Follow them!"

"Hey Chris, calm down man!" Blaze answered, "That kid won't get far. Didn't you see the look on Kara's face? He's as good as dead."

Chris grumbled, Blaze was half-right. Whenever Kara got angry, she proved to be a force to reckon with. He once tried to take advantage of her and ended up regretting it. "Still," he added, "we mustn't take any chances. You okay Willy?"

The bald guy rubbed his chin, "Aye. The lad packs quite a punch I'll give 'im that much. You got everythin' set Blaze?"

"All done. This place will go up in smoke in a few minutes." He gave a malicious smirk; "How about we do something fun and let these two roast alive?"

Chris walked up and smacked Blaze on the back of his head, "Are you stupid or something? We'd only give them the chance to get away and call the police." Both heard a whine and turned, Carlos' mother was trying to escape, but she was too hurt to move freely. Father was moving as well, reaching out for his wife. "See? They're moving after all we've put them through." Chris took out his knife and pulled up the woman by the hair. He whispered in her ear, "If it's any consolation, you'll see your kids soon enough." He put his knife to her throat and slashed it open. Her eyes went wide as saucers as she felt blood flow out of her throat and life abandoning her. Her last thought went towards her children, who were now left alone to face a crueler world that she believed existed.

Willy approached the father, "Hey, you awake governor?" He couldn't respond, the shock of seeing her wife raped and killed was too much. Willy kicked him and got a groan for a response "Jolly good, you are," he started beating him again, taking delight in his pain. Until one final kick to the head broke his neck. "Okay Chris, no survivors. Shall we get going?"

"Yes, lets."

"Whoa, whoa, wait a minute!" Blaze called out, "Listen." The other two went quiet and noticed a faint beeping sound. Blaze started to search all around, his companions couldn't figure out what he was doing. Finally he held up his hand triumphantly "Eureka!" in it, he held a Tamagotchi™. He threw it to the floor and stomped it like crazy. "There, now there are no survivors." Chris and Willy facefaulted.

Carlos paused to rest. He couldn't take too long, those maniacs were right behind him, and carrying Carmen was slowing him down. The girl was too scared to even cry. He rushed into a warehouse, scanned the place and went to a corner where there was a pile of boxes. "Here's the plan Carmela: I'll try to lead those creeps away. You wait here for a while then go into the city, once there you'll find the police. Understand?" She didn't respond, she just gave him a blank stare. Carlos growled and shook her violently, "Carmela, are you listening?"

Carmen snapped and started crying, "They…they hurt me Carlos," she sobbed, "they…" she threw herself into her brother's arms wailing. He wished he could comfort her, but now was not the time.

"LISTEN! If only one of us can survive, I'd rather it be you," he stroked her hair to calm her, "You are a strong girl Carmela, stronger than you believe. You always manage to pull out triumphantly out of any situation. AND THIS TIME IT WILL BE NO DIFFERENT!" he looked straight into her eyes, "You will survive, you will grow up, you will marry, you'll make hundreds of dolls for your children and grandchildren. But first, you must stop crying."

Carmen's breathing began to slow down, her tears ceased and the fear in her face was replaced by brave determination. She jumped forward and gave her brother the tightest hug she ever had given him. "Promise me you'll find me Carlos," this was more like an order than a plead, "Promise me!"

He returned the hug, "I promise," he kissed her cheek, "Te quiero hermana." He pushed her away and ran, leaving her alone and, hopefully, safe.

Carlos came to a halt and listened to his surroundings. Water, I must be near the docks. For nearly half an hour he'd been leading Chris and the others on a wild goose chase, getting farther away from Carmen as possible. He looked over his shoulder and saw two silhouettes, Kara and Willy. "Hey! Hijos de perra! Are you looking for me?" he yelled at the top of his lungs. Both turned around and gave chase. Carlos laughed and fled.

"Little brat!" Kara muttered. She halted, pulled out a gun and fired. The bullet scraped Carlos' calf; he dropped and clutched his leg in pain. There was no serious damage but it hurt like hell. Don't find Carmela, don't find Carmela. Was all that ran through his mind. Kara ran up to him and, using the full momentum, kicked him in the face. The blow was so hard he spat out blood and a tooth. She flipped him over and planted her foot on his throat.

"No one touches my face and gets away with it. NO ONE!" she cried as she kept on kicking. At one time, Carlos grabbed her foot and threw her down, he got up and so did Kara. She threw a punch and the teen caught her arm. Recalling a move he saw in a movie once, he spun around and threw her over his shoulder. He heard heavy foot falls, turned and saw Willy charging towards him. As soon as the bald man was nearly upon him, Carlos dropped to his side and threw a kick to his groin. He wasted no time, he started running again, now was the time to escape.

Kara got up trying to rub her back, "Damn, that kid really is tough! We should talk Allen into making him a part of the group."

"I doubt the governor would agree lass," Willy replied with a moan, "Besides, our tortured soul Pauly would not approve." He groaned again and kept rubbing between his legs.

"Oh, cut it out. I bet there was nothing there to damage," Willy narrowed his eyes at her, "The kid's getting away, Let's go!"

Carlos ran as fast as he could, if he could keep up this pace he was sure that he would lose those madmen. Unfortunately, he was too busy concentrating on being fast the he didn't see where he was going.

"Hijo de!" He stopped just in time to avoid falling into the water. I guess I better find somewhere else to go. He turned and started running again, but only took a few steps before stopping again. He saw Chris, and he was walking towards him.

"Gotta hand it to you kid," Chris sneered as he clapped his fist, "you really gave us a run for our money. But sadly, it now must end."

"Really? Well I think we should make this an all-nighter." Carlos charged and threw a right hook at the bully, but his arm was easily caught. Now he was too tired from all that running. Chris snorted and gave him a wicked grin. He began to pummel the boy. Punches, jabs, kicks, head-butts, all punishment imaginable.

"You wanted to save your family, right?" he threw a hook to the teen's stomach, "You wanted to be a hero. Well here's your first lesson," he cocked his arm, "taking blows from the bad guy!" Chris threw one final blow, which floored Carlos. The thug looked over his shoulder and saw three of his companions approach.

"Hey Chris!" Blaze called out. "I see you've already taken care of the kid. You should have waited for us man."

"I agree," Kara stated as she carefully touched her wound, "With the endurance he displayed, I was really looking forward to testing him," she flinched as her cheek stung, "Even after doing this to me."

"Well, sorry guys," Chris shrugged, "the work here is done." He crooked an eyebrow when he heard movement from behind. He turned around and was met by Carlos as he rammed his entire body into him. The black-haired man was surprised but not hurt. The attack had been too feeble. The teen was pulled back by his hair. Ignoring the pain he threw a jab, but his fist was easily caught. "My, my, you really are a tough guy." Chris threw a rockette like kick and threw the boy several feet back.

"Lad's really got spite, we should get paid extra for this," Willy stated, he looked back, "There you are, Paul ol' chum. Have you taken care of the little lass?" Carlos eyes flew open when he heard that question.

"I found her," the ebony man deadpanned.

"N-no…" Carlos groaned as he got up. The whole gang was amazed at his stamina. The boy finally managed to get to his feet, Chris was right in front of him.

"You're really angry, aren't you? Tell you what, I'll let you hit me. That way you won't feel like such a putz."

Carlos trembled with rage. Hateful tears ran down his face. They're gone. Papá, mamá, Carmela. He looked up and saw Chris sneering. He heard the chortles coming from the others. He clenched his fists so hard his palms bleed. It's their fault. They killed them. THEY MUST DIE! He gave out a war cry and attacked the murderer before him. Chris was completely taken off-guard; he wasn't expecting the kid to have that much strength left. He received some fairly tough blows before reacting. He threw a few punches and connected. Carlos ignored the pain and kept up his assault. Finally, Chris decided to truly end this. He threw a haymaker and Carlos received it totally, but didn't fall. The maniac kept hitting but the kid wouldn't fall, even though he was too hurt to move.

"Can you believe it? This kid's like a cockroach, nothing beats him," he looked over his shoulder, "Kara, give me your gun."

The dark-haired woman blinked, "You're not using your knife?"

"You got a problem with that?"

"No," she replied as she handed her weapon, "It's just unusual, that's all."

Chris cocked the weapon and aimed it to Carlos' chest at pointblank range. "Any last words kid?" he mocked. Carlos said nothing he just gave his foe an indescribable stare, it almost made the murderer gulp. "Very well," he pulled the trigger.

They say that your entire life flashes before your eyes the moment you die, Carlos could only see the last few hours. As he fell forward, his hand darted up and grabbed Chris by the shirt. Summoning all the strength he had left, he managed to pull himself up.

"Damn! Can nothing kill you?"

"I swear," the teen said in a barely audible voice, "I will drag you into the deepest pit of Hell." Chris just gave him a bored look and shoved him away. He stumbled back and fell into the water. The whole gang approach to watch the kid sink. All the time his eyes were kept open; Willy could've sworn he was still alive when he went under.

Chris took a deep breath, "Finally, mission accomplished!" he turned to his partners, "I'm gonna need a drink to get over this. Who's with me?"

"I'll pass," Kara said, "I want to get back to the compound early for a change."

"You mean you wan' to get back to the governor soon, huh lassie?" Willy teased.

"Watch your mouth prince George," Kara winked, "you could be talking to the boss' future wife."

"Such tenacity is admirable," Paul stated solemnly, "I have fought grown men that have given up after receiving much less," he turned to Chris, "I will have a drink, and toast to this child's honor."

"Yes indeed, he acted like a hero. But in the end, he was all wet."

"Shut up Blaze!" everyone chorused.

That night, someone glimpsed at the sky and saw some crows flying in formation. One of them was trailing far behind.

*****

Rei had brought some tea to help ease the tale a little. The events and the way Carlos told them were nearly unbearable, even for a battle-hardened senshi. After he finished, Carlos got up and left the room quietly. Hotaru saw him and followed.

"Hotaru-chan," Minako called out but was held back by Setsuna.

"They need some time alone Mina-chan," the mocha-skinned woman said in a soft voice, "Hime-chan is the one who can help Carlos-san the most."

Hotaru found Carlos leaning against a column. It seemed strange to her that he didn't vanish; maybe he wanted to talk for once.

"As if almost killing you wasn't enough," the undead teen said darkly, "I'm also responsible for you having nightmares every night."

"I don't want you to blame yourself for what's in my head Carlos-san. You still had no control over your powers at that time. Besides, I'm the one who decided to help you."

"And who told you to help a complete stranger?" Carlos snapped, "If you look back on that moment, you made a really stupid choice."

"So you consider helping people something stupid?" Hotaru retorted in an angrier tone, "I thought I was saving your life! That's some sense gratitude you've got."

"It's not like I actually needed your help. Let's face it, you just wasted your time." Hotaru sighed and shook her head.

"Carlos-san, I know you still don't have much experience dealing with people. But you really must learn to-And I must learn not to take my sight off you." The violet-eyed girl crossed her arms and stomped her foot on the floor. This is how Minako found her.

"I take it Carlos-kun used his disappearing trick again."

"Hai, and it's getting quite annoying." Hotaru leaned against a column and took a deep breath. "Why does he have to act like such a baka?"

"I think that I'm to blame," the blonde said, "I'm the one who pushed him into telling us that horrible tale. I should have known it would affect him like that," she out her hand on her young friend's shoulder, "Then again, letting it out might've helped him a little bit."

"Hai, perhaps. I just wish he acted in a nicer way," Hotaru paused a bit, "or that I knew how to treat him."

"Oh, so you want to treat him in a different way than your other friends, ne?" Hotaru didn't reply but blushed fiercely. "I got a call from Mako-chan last night. Shigeru-kun will be busy during the 'Dark Feather' party, and she suggested we invite Carlos-kun. Taking advantage of Setsuna-san's reputation, it would be plausible that she found where he lives in order to invite him." The dark-haired girl gave her friend a long stare. "Come on Hotaru-chan. Don't tell me he wouldn't like to go to a party with his friends."

"Mina-san," Hotaru replied dragging a hand down her face, "please don't set me up for a date."

"I never said it would be a date. It didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it." Minako giggled and Hotaru grumbled.

"How are Hime-chan and Carlos-san doing?" Setsuna asked as she stepped outside.

"Well, Carlos-kun vanished and Hotaru-chan…has also vanished." The blonde spun around trying to find the girl until she looked at Setsuna blinking curiously.

"Eto. Did I mention Hime-chan learning a cloaking technique?" the emerald-haired woman asked.

"Ie, you haven't. And Hotaru-chan is right, it is annoying."

Carlos hadn't gone far when he escaped Hotaru, he just jumped up to the roof and was lying there thinking when Kashaku landed next to him.

"What troubles you warrior?"

"I'm thinking about changing my name from crow to fox, given that I'm a pinche liar," he sat up, "A moment ago I told Hotaru that I didn't like to see my friends get hurt. What the hell do I know about friends if I've never had one?"

"Did you think before talking?"

"Qué?"

"You spoke without thinking, that means your words came straight from the heart," the guardian said, "which makes them true."

"What about the thing I said later?" the undead teen inquired, "That she was wasting her time when she helped me. I didn't think either. Does that mean I'm really not grateful?"

"No, it means you just acted like the fool you usually are." Carlos narrowed his eyes at the bird, who just chuckled. "We must start planning. Our mission mustn't be delayed long and lady Mars could face grave danger by keeping us hidden. Maybe if we told lady Pluto what we know she could investigate and find out about our enemies."

"Maybe." Carlos raised his head; "Hotaru's using her silent shadow."

"So I noticed, she may want some time alone from the other senshi." Kashaku saw his ward get up, "What are you doing warrior?"

"I'm going after her," Karasu said simply, "I know she probably doesn't want to see me at this moment. But in the condition she's in, I must go keep an eye on her."

"Wait, if you leave the temple you'll expose yourself. Lady Saturn is a very powerful senshi, I'm sure she is very capable of taking care of herself. We will leave here eventually. It is not right to impose on lady Mars, but for today at least, stay."

"And while I'm here something could happen to Hotaru, just like something happened to those to girls the other night I wasn't there," the marks disappeared off Carlos' face, "But you're right, I will stay."

"I'm glad you came to reason-"

"You'll go follow Hotaru."

"Caw?"

"Follow her and show me what you see. If Hotaru runs into danger I'll inform Señorita Hino. And perhaps go there myself." Kashaku was going respond but wasn't allowed. "Go!" Grumbling, the guardian took flight.

"I really don't think lady Saturn will need help, but I'll humor you. And while I'm out, I suggest you work on your Mexican machismo."

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

Chris was walking down the corridor from his room to the workout area. Since his robotic body had no need for rest, lying on the bed just drove him crazy. He ran into Paul as he went around the corner.

"Hey there black martyr. Are you making good use of your vacation?"

"What are you talking about?" the black man asked.

"I'm talking about the fact that Allen hasn't given you any work after the school you drone-infested. But I'm not a klutz like Blaze or a lovesick bimbo like Kara. I've noticed you've been busy with something. What is it?"

"It's a personal project I'm working on," Paul responded, "none of your business." He tried to walk away, but metal claws held him still.

"Allen doesn't allow any personal projects, unless they profit him," the cyborg's voice got lower, "Are you planning something against me?"

"Do you remember our target from a year ago?" Paul asked plainly.

"I've killed hundreds of people last year Paul, plus others that I wasn't assigned to."

"And you don't remember who they are at all?"

"Does it matter?" Chris asked coldly. Paul said nothing; he just stared at his companion for a while.

"How could I be so blind?" the black man asked himself as he left. Chris wondered a while what that meant but shrugged it off almost immediately. Why should he care what the martyr was going through? After all, no one had ever cared about him.

*****

Hotaru wasn't exactly sure where she was at the time but wasn't worried; she could easily find her way back home. Besides, she had more important things in her mind. She thought about what Reiko and Setsuna had said about her attitude becoming more aggressive. Not to mention that the felt something against Haruka. Maybe she was just fed up with the sand-blonde's overprotective and paranoid attitude. But Hotaru felt that there was a somewhat darker reason. She wanted to, but was also afraid of finding out why.

"It's not because of Carlos-san, I've felt the anger before meeting him. What is the reason?"

"Hey! Is that you Tomoe?" a voice called out.

Hotaru turned and recognized the girl catching up to her. The pale girl huffed; she was one of the people who used to bully her back at Mugen Gauken. What the hell does she want?

"I thought it was you," the girl said, "Who else could make such a fine ghost impression without even trying?"

"What do you want?" the pale girl growled.

"I want to ask something from you."

"After two years, just like that?" Hotaru asked in an annoyed tone but the girl didn't notice.

"The other day I saw a really cute guy with black hair, ponytail and sunglasses. And another day I noticed that he was with you. I want you to tell me who he is and where he lives."

"He's my sempai," Hotaru snapped, "And why should I tell you anything else?"

"I'm trying to do you a favor. If I take your boyfriend away from you now, you'll be less hurt than when he breaks up with you eventually." Hotaru made a fist, the girl got closer. "You must know that a little freak like you couldn't possibly keep him close for long, you'll probably scare him away with your freakish power. Best if you let me have him now."

"He's not an object, he's my friend!" Hotaru stated as she pushed the girl away, "Leave him alone or else I'll make sure you do."

"Ooh, a threat," the girl mocked as she shoved the smaller one into the wall, "Do you think you scare me? You weak little witch." Hotaru grabbed the girl by the shirt, spun and slammed her into the wall.

"Carlos-san is important to me, very important. I'm not letting anything bad happen to him, even if it's a little thing like getting involved with a pathetic bimbo like you," her eyes began to glow purple, but she didn't know this, "I'm not the weak little girl you used to bully around before, so beware." Hotaru released her hold. The girl stared at her for a while before running away as fast as she could. The violet-eyed teen took a deep breath and leaned against the wall.

What was that all about? This isn't me; this isn't the way I act. She turned and saw that the girl had come to a halt a distance away and was staring back at her. A little glare and she stumbled trying to run again. That glimpse of fear she saw on her face sent a bit of satisfaction through Hotaru. Carlos-san is right; there's a fun part to having people fear you. She walked away, laughing out loud. "Who am I kidding? This is me and I like it."

*****

Quoth the raven:

Why did Carlos consider changing his name to Fox? Recall Aesop's tale: the fox and the crow and you'll realize why.

And about Hotaru's behavior, that will be brought out on a much later chapter.