Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter twenty-three:

Hikawa shrine:

Things were pretty much back to normal at the temple, the customers had recovered and gone home a while ago. Rei's grandfather remained unconscious because of his greater age, but was in no real danger, so there was no real need to keep watch over him.

Carmen paced about the garden restlessly. She tried headstands, back-flips and somersaults, nothing could tire her out, the thought of her brother and friends fighting who-knows-what kept her wide-awake.

"ARGHH! What is taking that idiot so long?" the spiky-haired girl finally hollered.

"Why don't you try a more relaxing activity?" Luna suggested, she and her mate had reverted to their feline form, "You could go into the kitchen and make yourself a nice cup of tea."

"I never was any good at cooking."

"Not a problem," Artemis replied, "Everything in Rei-chan's cupboard is either instant or micro-" the black cat stepped on his tail before he could finish the sentence.

"I don't want to do anything!" Carmen exclaimed, "I want to know what's happening." Her emerald eyes glared at the furry pair, "How can you two remain so calm?"

"In short," Luna began explaining, "we have faith in Sailor Moon and the others. We have no idea how strong the adversary is, but we do know how strong the senshi and Karasu are. Believe me, Carmen-chan, we are just as worried as you are, but such feeling won't help any of us at all."

", you're probably right." Just then, a horrendous sound was heard, sort of like the roar of an infernal beast.

"In the name of Princess Mau, what was that?" the white cat asked with each hair on end.

"Carlos," Carmen whispered.

"Nani?" Instead of getting a response, Luna saw the girl sprint towards the exit. "Matte! Where do you think you're going!?"

"To where my brother is, of course! That scream was his, I just know it!"

"And what are you going to do?" the black cat challenged, "Nothing, neither of us can do anything out there." She ran over to the weeping girl. "You have to stay here, where you're safe, for Carlos-kun's sake." Carmen fell to her knees; she took a deep breath and quietly agreed.

The next couple of hours were a painful eternity. Carmen hoped for the best, but knew that she should expect the worse.

"Caw!" "Caw!"

The sight of the crow twins flying into the house filled her with both dread and hope, either way, she ran inside immediately.

"What happened out there!?" The dark-haired girl counted heads and felt her heart sink. "Where are the others? Where's Carlos?" She could only see Rei, Makoto, Setsuna and Michiru. Haruka and Ami were sneaking the skeletal teen through the backdoor; while Usagi, Mamoru and Minako were taking the brokenhearted Kara to the hospital.

Michiru walked over gently and placed her hands on the younger girl's shoulders.

"Carmen-chan, I want you to listen very carefully. Carlos-kun, your brother, has been-"

"Been what? I know it's something awful, so tell me already!"

"Calm down!" the aqua-haired woman ordered. The events at the amusement park tonight had left her in a very edgy mood, so she was in no condition to deal with this sort of behavior. "Carlos has been hurt, badly, so much that we can't allow you to see him." Carmen gulped when she got this bit of information. But instead of standing still, the Mexican girl got even more restless and broke free from the violinist's hold. "Mako-chan, stop her!" The tall brunette tried to grab her and was elbowed for that. She reeled back a bit but still managed to get Carmen.

"Carmela."

Both girls were in the middle of this struggle when Carlos' voice resounded in the younger one's mind.

"Carmela, do as they say and stay outside, you don't want to see me like this."

"Is that so? Well if you think that creeping into my head is going to scare me, you've got another thing coming." Her brother sounded frighteningly tired, that made Carmen even more determined.

"Arrgh!!" Mako took advantage of the slight distraction to spin the smaller girl and pin her against the wall. "Andre-chan was hurt too, remember? Don't you think I want to be with him?" She took a deep breath, "But I have to think things trough, I have to realize what is best for him and everyone. Carlos-kun wants to keep you away because he wants you to be safe. And consider this, having the idea that he somehow hurt you is going to do him a lot of damage. Do you want that?"

"No," the spiky-haired girl answered sadly.

"We all want the best for you, Miss Carmen," Kashaku said from across the room, "Will you please calm down?" She nodded and finally relaxed, Makoto let her down gently.

"Where are the others?"

"Mamoru-tachi are taking care of something," Setsuna responded, "But Hime-chan, she…umm," the ruby-eyed woman had to steel herself, "Raven has taken Hime-chan hostage, and we have no idea what doom might befall her." Carmen grumbled and rubbed her temple as her anger resurfaced.

"Are you done, or is there another bit of cheerful news you want to give me?" There was, the senshi had brought someone along with them. "What the chingada is he doing here!?" Not knowing what to do with him, the now undead, and unconscious, Paul was brought along.

"We're fully aware of who he is," Rei cleared out, "but we need him here, for the time being."

"Okay, okay, let sum this up," the emerald-eyed girl said in a very calm voice, "You allowed my brother to be seriously hurt, my new best friend to be kidnapped and brought home one of the guys who killed my family."

"Crudely put, hai," the aqua-haired woman replied, "but if you listen-"

"PINCHE @%#/Ç&!!" Carmen left the room stomping and cursing up a storm.

"Colorful," Ami joked as she entered along with Haruka.

"How's Carlos-kun doing?" Makoto asked.

"Well, he umm," the short-haired girl tried to keep her stomach steady, "he's regenerating, that much I can tell. But the process is a lot slower than usual, there's hardly any tissue around the bone."

"Arigato," Rei said, "I really needed that image in my mind."

"It doesn't really matter if the warrior's recovery is slower, Princess Mercury," Phobos said from the table, in her sprite form, "As long as Guardian Kashaku remains unharmed…… Matte." She finally noticed that the large male crow was bandaged and being carried by Setsuna, while her sister, who stood at her side, remained in avian form. "Deimos-chan, tell me you didn't do it." The blue-eyed crow shrunk back, not daring to answer. "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!! Do you have any idea of what you've just done?"

"I had to do SOMETHING!" Deimos yelled back, "The warrior would've perished otherwise."

"I realize that, but we're supposed to be bounded. No interference, remember? Or have you become too much of a baka to-"

"Phobos-chan that's enough!" the raven-haired maiden scolded, "I'm sure that Deimos-chan feels bad enough already, you don't need to make it worse." She was quite surprised to see the petit Phobos glare back at her.

"Fine!" she shouted as she changed into crow form, "Do whatever the hell you want, I've had it with looking after you anyway!"

"Onee-chan-"

"CAW!" Phobos screamed smack on her sister's face before bolting like a bat out of hell, causing the ones by the door to back away.

"I'm sorry for causing you such grief, Lady Deimos," Kashaku apologized after a minute.

"Don't worry Guardian Kashaku," she replied gloomily, "I was aware of the consequences."

"To all this, would you mind explaining what's going on," Makoto requested, "'Cause during the last couple of hours I've been in the dark."

"Certainly, Lady Jupiter." The guardian took a deep breath. "You have all noticed how the warrior remains alive while I am wounded, something that shouldn't be."

"Guardian Kashaku and I knew that Warrior Karasu wasn't going to survive the battle without his power."

"I can deduce the rest," Haruka interrupted, "The only way to save Kabuki was to give him a healthy guardian, and so Kashaku-san gave you his position."

"Hai, and you can also tell from my sister's reaction that such maneuver is illegal."

"Then, what is going to happen to you two?" Rei asked worriedly.

"We don't know actually, since no one has ever done something like this." Kashaku was set on the table, with everyone sitting around it now.

"I don't want to sound insensitive to our smaller friends' predicament," Michiru spoke, "But what are we going to do about Hime-chan? Heaven only knows what that monster will do to her."

"We know that she is still alive and in possession of her soul-pearl," Setsuna assured, "Raven's sadistic nature would have proved otherwise. Of course," she added in a grim voice, "whatever else he's planning is probably worse."

"What we need to know is Raven's whereabouts," Luna stated, "we can't allow him to go on controlling us."

"The only one who can give us that information is Paul-san," Minako's voice was heard. Everyone turned to see the two blondes and dark-haired man approach. "How's he doing?"

"He's still out cold," the tall brunette answered, "What about Kara-san?"

"She is all right physically," Mamoru answered, "mental wounds are another thing entirely, and I'm sure that she has always been fragile in that area." Just then, an aching groan came from Paul. The martyr awoke slowly and his eyes went wide when he saw how pale his hand was.

"By all that is holy! What has happened to me?"

"Calm down Paul-san," Minako said softly as she placed her hand on his forehead, "we'll explain everything."

Paul took the news surprisingly well. Naturally, he knew that working with Poe was going to have ghastly consequences.

"He who fights monsters better take care, heh. Nietzsche should have considered those who fight alongside of monsters."

"We want to help you solve this, Paul-san," Usagi offered, "but until we know exactly what it is Raven did, we can't do anything, or else we might do more harm than good."

"I understand," Paul replied, "and there is no hurry after all. Even though they terrify me, this power of mine is necessary if we are to stop that madman once and for all."

"We?" Haruka asked suspiciously. The undead man lowered his head and humbly spoke.

"I have no right to ask this of you, but you must allow me to join you in this fight. For years Raven has manipulated me, making me believe that I gave balm while in truth it was brimstone. I implore you, let me fight at your side." He raised his head and saw that Usagi was granting him one of her kindest smiles.

"If it will give you peace of mind, then I will allow you to. As long as everyone else agrees of course." The future queen looked at each of her friends and noticed how they all, at a higher or lower degree, gave their approval, even Haruka.

"All I want is to have Hime-chan back," the racer stated sourly.

"There's another thing we must consider," Setsuna pointed out, "I don't mean to question your intentions, Paul-san, but Raven had complete control over you once and there's a fair chance that he will try to recover it."

"If that happens, then you may take whatever means are necessary."

"Which brings us to another factor," Kashaku said in a dark voice, "that this enterprise may surely conclude with the end of your existence."

"I am not afraid of death," Paul retorted bravely.

"I didn't say death, I said end of your existence." This of course required further explanation. "As you all know, the mortal body dies but the spirit goes on forever. That much is true, at least with those who are truly living."

"What do you mean?" the Earth prince asked.

"It all depends on the conditions under which Sir Paul is being held by the false warrior. Nonetheless I must warn you, it is your very essence that risks being destroyed. No ascension, no gate of judgement, no reincarnation, you become nothing. Do you understand what I am telling you?" The undead man understood only too well, the very thought of this was enough to make him shiver openly. Not only him, but also everyone present.

"Did Carlos-kun know about this?" Minako asked with a shaky voice.

"Every warrior is warned prior to being brought back," Deimos answered, "The majority don't listen, or do not care at all."

"I will fight in your aid," the now pale martyr repeated firm and definitely, "no matter the consequence."

"Domo arigato, Paul-san," Setsuna said, "You can start by telling us what you know about Raven, so that we can figure out where he is now."

"I'm afraid that my knowledge is equal to yours, every member of the gang kept their distance from Poe." He rubbed his chin in deep thought for a while, then clapped his fist excitedly, "Except Kara!"

"Right then!" Haruka pounded on the table and stood up, "I'll go to the hospital. If Kara does know something, I'll make sure she tells us."

"Mina-chan and I will go with you," Usagi said, "You need someone to tell you which room she's in."

"Besides, someone has to keep you in check," the other longhaired blonde added, "You get more ants with chocolate than vinegar you know."

"Umm, hai. Let's get going then." The blonde trio left while the rest discussed other issues.

"While Usako and the others return, we better plan a new strategy," Mamoru suggested, "Setsuna-san, Ami-chan, I know it won't be easy, but could you two see how Carlos-kun's is doing?"

"And could you please take me to the warrior's side?" Kashaku requested.

"Hai, Kashaku-kun," the azure-haired girl replied as she picked up the bird, "In the meantime, Mamoru-kun, you better keep an eye on Carmen-chan. I'll bet that sooner or later she'll try to check on her brother."

"What did you say!?" Paul asked incredulously.

Carmen stood by the koi pond smoking a cigarette, she'd stolen the pack from one of the customers earlier. She was honestly trying to quit, but with everything that was going on, her nerves were at the border of collapse and her nicotine dependence resurfaced.

"Why didn't that pendejo just stay dead? If he was just going to give me this kind of grief, then I'd much rather had remained a junkie. These things are a lot easier to bear when your mind is gone."

"I understand completely," Phobos said from a nearby bough, "If I had known all the trouble Deimos-chan was going to cause me throughout my whole childhood, I would've wished to be an only child." The red-eyed bird sighed, "Why wish for the irremediable? Our siblings were hatched, and we have no choice but to stand their stupidity."

"Hatched?"

"Gomen, I sometimes forget how mammals are born." Phobos glimpsed towards the doorway and saw Paul approach. She flew down to the spiky-haired girl's shoulder, in order to better defend her. Carmen was also aware of the martyr's presence.

"What the chingada do you want?"

"I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but it's true, you did survive."

"Yeah, I guess I did. Looks like you did a lousy job last year." Her emerald eyes took notice of the dark marks on Paul's face. "Are you trying to imitate my brother, hijo de perra?"

"No, it is rather my once leader who is the imitator. I was merely a guinea pig in his whole project, my life was taken and replaced with a mockery of it, for no more reason than a whim."

"Sort of like robbing a girl of her innocence because some creeps want to have fun, huh?" Paul was about to retort, but wisely decided to stay silent. "You didn't answer my question. What do you want?"

"Well I," the undead man tugged on his dreadlocks, "I guess that I'm here to apologize for what happened to you and your family, for the tragedy I could, no, should have prevented." Arms crossed, Carmen turned to face the man who had been the protagonist of so many nightmares.

"Phobos, leave me alone please."

"Miss Carmen, are you sure?"

"Go." The female crow gave Paul a wary glance before taking off. The dark-haired girl took a deep breath and spoke, "Just like that, huh? 'Gee Carmen, it's too bad that you were raped, orphaned and maimed, all in one night. That you had to undergo endless hours of therapy and become a marihuana addict as a result. But you know what? I'm sorry, can you forgive me?' Did you really think it was going to be that easy!?"

"I didn't-"

"Well let me tell you one thing, mister," Carmen continued as she jabbed her finger into the man's ribs, "I became all the contrary to what you expected, I became strong, even stronger after Carlos came to see me. I overcame the experience and survived each nightmare. The process was painful but I ended up discovering many abilities I was never aware of." She took a minute to calm down and organize her thoughts. "I was upset when I saw you, enraged. But I don't hate you, that would mean I'm allowing that night to control me still. And even though I'm sorry for how your life turned out, I am never going to forgive you." Paul merely nodded and went back into the temple while the girl lit a second cigarette.

"I overheard what you were saying earlier," the undead man called out from the doorway, "You should know that your brother has managed to save many lives since his return, including yours." He entered without awaiting a reply. Carmen stood silently by the pond, her mind repeated the words she'd just said to Paul. She looked at the cigarette on her hand.

"I'm stronger than this," she said as she crushed it.

*****

Juban Central Hospital:

Kara was lying on her bed wide-awake. She hadn't spoken a word since the senshi had freed her from the ice, as a matter of fact, it was likely that not a thought ran through her head at all.

There was a knock on the window, loud enough to be heard, but there was no reaction from the mocha-skinned woman. Sailor Moon, Venus and Uranus approached the bed cautiously.

"Kara-san," the Moon princess softly spoke, "Kara-san wake up, we need your help. We need you to tell us about Raven." Not even a stir.

"Hey, enough with the absent routine!" the wind senshi ordered as she snapped her fingers right on Kara's face, "I know you can hear us, so talk already!"

"Uranus!" Sailor Moon scolded, "If you're going to use that attitude, you shouldn't have come at all."

"I'm desperate, okay? I want to know where Hime-chan is, now!"

"I'm not going to say anything," Kara said suddenly, surprising them, "I don't care what he did to me, I'm not going to betray Allen." Venus was about to open her mouth but she continued, "Do the defenders of love and justice have something against loyalty?"

"Touché," the sand-blonde senshi muttered.

"Your loyalty is admirable," the love senshi admitted, "but dangerously blind. Are you aware of what Raven is planning to do to the world?"

"So? Why should I care if the one I love isn't with me?"

"Very well, what about your child?" Sailor Moon challenged. Kara was struck dumb, she hadn't taken her baby's welfare into consideration until now.

"Even if I did help you, what difference would it make? Allen grows stronger by the second, you'll never be able to stop him."

"Doing something makes a bigger difference than doing nothing," Uranus retorted, "If you want to be a wuss, fine by me. I knew this was a stupid idea the minute we got here." Kara closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Allen had establishments and projects all over the world, he could be at any one of them." The blondes sighed in defeat. "However, lately, he and Hawkins talked about the South American rain-forest. It's the best clue I can give you."

"And it might be just the one that saves us," Sailor Moon beamed, "Domo arigato, Kara-san." One by one the senshi leapt out the window.

"Sailor Moon," Kara called from the bed.

"Hai?"

"I know its asking for too much, but, if the only way to stop Allen is to… Please do it mercifully." The Moon princess thought her answer over carefully.

"I'll try to do more than that, Kara-san, but I won't guarantee anything. Remember, his destiny is the choice of someone else." She left before the dark-haired woman could say anything else.

I was also going to ask you, to tell the boy that I'm sorry, she thought as she finally fell asleep.

*****

Hikawa Shrine:

It didn't take long for Ami to figure out their exact destination. The senshi got ready to leave at a moment's notice, as soon as a few loose ends were taken care of.

"The group is short by one," Mamoru noted, "so all of us have to go if we want a chance against Raven. But we can't just forget about Carlos-kun. It would be too much of a shock for Hino-sama to see him. And Carmen-chan…"

"Please, lets not bring that up again!" Carmen said exasperatedly as she crossed her arms, "Look, I'll admit that I'm impetuous, but not stupid, I know when to follow orders. (sigh) I'll take care of Rei's grandpa, after all, I just have wait for him to wake up. And I promise to stay away from Carlos until he's recovered."

"That's good to hear," Usagi commented, "And you won't be alone either. Luna-chan and Artemis-kun won't be able to transform for a while, but they'll be able to help a lot more than you'll expect."

"Don't forget about us," Deimos reminded, "I'm unable to change, but onee-chan is. And she-"

"I'm going with the senshi," the red-eyed crow interrupted.

"Nani?" Deimos was quite surprised to hear her sister say that. "But why?"

"A bird's eye view will be more useful to Princess Mars and the others where they're going, here I'll just add up to the useless bulk."

"I'll try not to take that comment personally," Artemis muttered.

"Phobos-chan, are you sure about this?" Rei asked as the female bird flew up to her shoulder.

"Hai."

"Okay," the raven-haired girl sighed, "Mars crisis power, make up!"

The nine senshi and Tuxedo Kamen stepped outside, where Paul was waiting.

"Are we leaving?" the martyr asked, "And how is it we're going to get there?"

"Teleportation," Venus answered, "Just stand in the center while the rest of us form a circle." He did as he was told, but couldn't hold down a small gulp.

"It's not that I don't trust you, but… I'll remind you that I wasn't conscious when Poe did this. To be honest, I'm nervous"

"Just close your eyes and clear your mind," Mercury told him.

They gave Carmen a few more warnings and advice as the dark-haired girl watched them hover a little and vanish. Once they were gone, she went back inside to do something useful. Deimos stood at the foot of the stairs feeling miserable. Luna went over and rubbed against the bird, trying to cheer her up.

"Onee-chan and I have had our differences, just like all brothers and sisters," the blue-eyed crow said in a melancholic tone, "But never a fight as bad as this one."

"Be patient, Deimos-chan," the black cat replied softly, "I know that Phobos-chan will dispel her anger if you give her some time."

"Hai." Deimos took a deep breath and stretched her wings. "I better attend to the warrior, I may only be a provisional guardian but I have to be my best at it."

"Good luck with Kashaku-san," Luna told her avian friend as she hopped up the steps. Deimos' blue eyes widened in surprise. "I'm still young enough to act like Mina or Usagi-chan now and then." The crow shook her head and flew lazily into the temple. Luna was about to follow when she suddenly sprinted towards the bushes.

"What were you looking for over there, Luna-chan?" Artemis asked when she returned after a while.

"I saw something out of the corner of my eye, it looked like red hair," she commented as she walked beside him, "But when I got there I saw no one…strange." The white cat stepped forward cautiously.

"Do you think we're being spied?"

"Ie, it didn't feel like a threat. Actually," Luna's voice sounded quite serene, "it feels more as if someone's watching upon us."

"I hope you're right, honey, 'cause we need all the help we can get."