Slam Dunk Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Filling The Spaces Between ❯ One by One, They Enter ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2

The news spread like wildfire throughout the school: Rukawa Kaede was in trouble, he was going in for counseling, and, his PARENTS were going to be in school.

The girls, notably the RU-KA-WA Brigade, immediately thought, 'This is the chance of a lifetime to meet my future in-laws!'

The guys, meanwhile, were thinking more along the lines of, 'Impossible! Rukawa has parents?!'

One particular red-headed do'ahou wasn't only thinking but also stating his views rather publicly. "HAH! The kitsune's such a freak that his parents must be freaky too!"

Needless to say, Rukawa Kaede slept through it all. Though Fujimiya-sensei did try his best to wake Rukawa up with rather spectacular results.

***

The gym was crowded by spectators. All eager for the chance to see the famous pair. Unfortunately for them, Akagi-captain used his considerable authority and temper to shoo them out.

Haruko was staring at Rukawa at basketball practice. He looked so alone to her, and after finding out he lived by himself, the poor girl's heart was going out to him. She just had to find out why!

"Neh, Ayako-san, why is Rukawa-kun living alone? What happened to his parents?" She asked the one person who might be able to know and be willing to tell. Her brother knew but only said it was Rukawa's personal life and he (her nii-chan) had no right to give out details like that unless it was related to Rukawa's basketball life. Though her onii-chan did sort of look sorrowful and sad. Rukawa-kun must have had a tragic life!

"Huh? Oh, Rukawa's parents separated two years ago. Amicably, though. He lives in the family house while his parents moved to other parts. I sort of thought his Okina-jisan would be staying with him." Ayako said thoughtfully. "After what Kaname-chan and Megumi-sensei told me, I was hoping to meet him." She giggled.

"Kaname-chan? Megumi-sensei?" The bewildered love-struck girl asked. "Who are they?" "Kaname-chan's Rukawa's imouto-chan. Megumi-sensei's his mother. They're so much fun to be with! Especially when they're teasing him!"

The sharp ears of Sakuragi heard the last sentence and he turned to Rukawa, "So, Kitsune, it looks like your family might not be as freaky as you! If Ayako-san gets along with them, they can't be so bad!"

Aforementioned 'kitsune' merely glared at him and muttered, "Do'ahou!," under his breath.

***

"Arigato gozaimasu. No thank you, you don't need to wait for us."

"Kaasan, why are all those people setting up camp around the gym?"

"I wouldn't know with teenagers these days, Kaname. Maybe they're expecting some important people. Or holding a strike against the PE department. Maybe your brother's holding a striptease."

"Ewww! They'd watch onii-chan do a striptease?! But he's so thin, there's nothing to see!"

"Now, now. Be kind. Maybe he's filled out since we last saw him."

"If you ask me, that's asking for too much. Ah well…" The speaker bounded off.

"Don't embarrass him, Kaname…not too much at least!"

***

"So, Rukawa-kun's mother is a doctor? Sugoi!"

"Aa, Megumi-sensei's cool!"

"HMMPH! He didn't get his mother's brains that's for sure!"

"URUSAI, Sakuragi! And practice!"

"ITE! GORI!! Why do you pick on me?!!"

"Shut up and take it like a man, Sakuragi!"

"MITCHI! You're picking on me too!"

"Ohohohoho."

"…"

In the midst of the usual babble of activity that is the usual practice session of the Shohoku basketball team came a screech.

"ONII-CHAAN!!!"

She came out of nowhere and glomped onto Rukawa Kaede's arm. The others, too stunned, merely watched as mist and sakura petals seemed to come out of nowhere.

The girl turned her large tearful eyes towards 'onii-chan' and whispered brokenly, "We were so worried for you, onii-chan. How could you make us worry like that?" Turning her head and scanning the onlookers, "Isn't he so cruel? Never telling his family of the trouble he's going through? Bravely trying to make his way in life without relying on the people who're supposed to support him?! Oh, onii-chan!" She then clutched Rukawa Kaede's arm again, sniffling.

Ayako's giggle broke through the silence. "KANA-CHAN! Aren't you ashamed of yourself, embarrassing your poor brother like that!"

The girl turned her head, blinked and said, "Aya-chan, why are you laughing already? I haven't gotten to the good part of my speech yet."

"Ohohohoh. You must be Rukawa-kun's sister."

"Hai, Anzai-sensei! Watashi wa Rukawa Kaname. A pleasure to meet all of you!"

Rukawa was merely looking at his sister as if she were from some other planet.

She swatted his arm and then proceeded to hug Ayako. "Hey, Aya-chan! How have you been!"

"Just fine, Kana-chan. Better now that you're here. Where's Megumi-sensei?"

"I left her a while back there. She should be wading through all those students right about now."

Right on cue, the doors to the gym opened. The faint echoes of voices reached them. "Wow!" "She CAN'T be Rukawa's mother!" "Oh, Rukawa-kun's mother is so elegant!"

Ayako and Kaname grinned wickedly. Rukawa gave a silent groan. The others watched spellbound as a tall woman stepped demurely into the room.

Flashing a sweet smile to all those present, her eyes lingering on Rukawa then passing on. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and introduced herself. "Watashi wa Takani Megumi. I'm pleased to meet you all."

***

As Rukawa-kun's mother headed towards Anzai-sensei and Rukawa-kun and Akagi got the reluctant team to practice, Haruko turned towards Kaname and introduced herself.

"Haruko-chan here's got a crush on your brother, Kana-chan!"

"Honto?! But why?"

"Iyaah! Ayako-san!" The poor girl was blushing.

Ayako, taking pity on her, said, "And he's also got his private troop of cheerleaders."

"Yuck! I can't understand it. He's so..so…so…!"

Ayako nodded understandingly. "I guess we'll never know, Kana-chan."

Meanwhile, Haruko had gathered her composure. "Ano, Kaname-san, you don't look like your brother much," contrasting the girl's dark brown hair to Rukawa's black and her dark eyes to his blue.

"Mm, Kaede-niichan and I inherited different characteristics from our parents. You can call me Kana-chan too, Haruko-san. If you're in the same grade as my brother then you're around two or three years older than me."

"Honto?! But you're as tall as I am! Ano, I didn't mean to offend you. Gomen!"

Ayako laughed. "Kana-chan and Rukawa got good genes from their parents, Haruko-chan. Look at Megumi-sensei, she's tall too. How come you didn't get her hair anyway, Kana-chan? I wish mine were as long and straight as hers." The three turned towards the mother and son near Anzai-sensei.

***

"How are you, Kaede?"

"…Fine."

"More than fine if you're able to attract so many girls!" At this, Rukawa grimaced at her as she giggled.

"Don't look at me like that. Be glad I didn't join your sister in greeting you, as I very well could have." She threatened him. "Now come here and give me a hug or you won't enjoy the consequences!"

Looking closely, Anzai-sensei noticed a smile lurking in Rukawa-kun's eyes. He could feel the love that existed between the two and nodded quietly in satisfaction.

Other team members surreptitiously tried to get close enough to hear but Akagi's roar to practice readily deterred them.

***

"I know you're probably wondering why my parents separated, Haruko-san, you too, Ayako-san." Ignoring the other girls' startled protests, Kaname continued, "it's not that they don't love each other, Onii-chan and I would know if that was the problem, it's just…it's like a space suddenly grew between them and it became easier for them to just live apart, especially since they've got such busy jobs. They're still friends, I guess, they're not just as close before."

"Kana-chan, I can understand why you're telling Ayako-san this, but why include me?" Haruko wondered.

"Because you're curious too, it would be impolite to draw Aya-chan aside and ignore you, and because it wouldn't do anybody any good to keep it quiet."

Ayako smiled sympathetically at the younger girl. "Well, I'm here for you, Kana-chan and I know Haruko-chan would like to be your friend, too." At this last, Haruko nodded enthusiastically.

"Especially since she's got a crush on my brother eh, Aya-chan? I'm just kidding, Haruko-san!"

***

Next chapter teaser: (Finally, the appearance of Rukawa Kaede's father!)

The doors to the gym opened again. A tall man sauntered in, he was wearing a long coat and exuded 'bad-ass'.

"Yo, Kaede, Kaname, Megitsune," then took a puff from his cigarette, "what's this I hear about you being in trouble?" He then raised an eyebrow.

All three people he addressed stood up taller.

"Tousan."

"Tousan!"

"Ohayou, furyou keikan."

The man merely shook his head and turned to Anzai-sensei.

Haruko stared in shock. "Ano, th-th-that's Rukawa-kun's father?"

Sakuragi gulped.

***

AN. Special thanks to my pre-reader: now get your butt off the chair and let me write! ;)

I hope to update every week but just pray for me. And this chapter came out quickly since I'm going to be busy with exams this coming week. Gomen!

As the fic progresses, the dramatic romance angle will come out and we lose some of the humor.