Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Brothers in Arms ❯ (aka Next on E.R… ) ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Brothers in Arms

By Shinomori no Kami Daiji

2

(aka Next on E.R… )

Rukawa had to brace himself in time when they skidded to a halt in front of the district hospital. He unlocked and kicked the door open and carried the now unconscious Kogure. The night watchman rounded the car to reach and put Kogure's other arm on his shoulder as they marched to the emergency bay doors. Attendants rushed to their aid, relieving them of them of Kogure as they lay him on the gurney. A doctor came over and assessed his vitals, fingers flying over the young man.

"Large contusion on the left temple. Blunt trauma on the face and arms"­--he opened Kogure's shirt--"and more on the chest." Fingers probed at his side where a patch of violet bruise was forming. "Possible rib fracture on the left lower quadrant. Prepare Trauma Room 2 and get x-rays on the his left hand and chest."

As the doctor prattled away, Rukawa felt like he was punched in the gut. One medic cleaned the clotted blood from the patient's face, revealing more scratches and cuts.

He felt his fingernails digging into his palms. He had the urge to run out of the hospital and thrash those jerks who did this to Kogure. But it never worked that way. No matter what he wished to do for retribution, the deed was already done. He can't change that. Guilt will always be there, he knew.

He blinked hard. Why was he reliving that experience?

"Sempai…" He saw Kogure being wheeled into a room.

He heard the night watchman come up beside him.

"I'll have to make an incident report on this," he said. Rukawa continued to stare beyond the doors where his teammate was whisked into. "You better make yourself available."

"Thank you for everything, Tokunaga-san," he said simply as he turned, reading the name off the watchman's ID.

Whatever Tokunaga's remark disappeared as Rukawa faced him fully. The other's eyes was transfixed somewhere on his shirt with alarm. He gripped Rukawa's arm.

"You're bleeding!"

"How-" He looked down at himself, stricken at the red stain that spread on the side of his blue-gray jacket. The bakahad a knife!

Seeing the blood-his blood-on his clothes and on his hand made his senses spin. He felt the steadying hand of Tokunaga as he called out for a nurse. The next thing he knew, he was staring at the ceiling lights that passed by, and at the faces that surrounded him. There was slight pressure applied over the stinging wound.

"Is he the companion of the young man in the other room?"

"Yes, he is," he heard Tokunaga's reply.

So he's in the other room, Rukawa noted, turning his head to look through the glass panel. A large gauze was on Kogure's temple. His view was obstructed as the doctor and two nurses worked on him. There was no usual frenzy in the room that always came with emergency cases. Rukawa caught the gaze of one of the nurses. She pointed at him, then at Kogure. He nodded in comprehension. Yes, a friend of his. A look of understanding also crossed her features, then she flashed a smile and mouthed the words that consoled him.

Daijobu.

Kogure's alright.

Rukawa released the breath he was holding and allowed himself a slight smile. Fate has been kind to them today.

"I said," the voice of another nurse finally filtered through, "is there anyone we can contact for you? Your parents?"

"No, I'll do it." He didn't want to send his mother to despair and heartache. Two is enough for his dear mother to go through.

"Could you give us the contact numbers of your parents and your friend's parents?" she insisted, her face hovering above him.

She was slowly getting on his nerves.

"I said I'll do it," Rukawa said, more loudly. In perverse satisfaction, he watched the nurse withdraw.

"Rukawa-kun, please take it easy," the doctor said. He was all dressed in green, including the pesky nurse.

"Will you put me to sleep, sensei?" he asked soberly.

"You have a stab wound," he explained patiently. "Though not too deep, you might need an operation."

"I don't care," he answered petulantly. "You can make me go numb, but you can't put me to sleep."

"Rukawa-kun, you need to go under," he said firmly.

Tokunaga-san got a hold of our ID's, Rukawa thought dismally. If they have Kogure-sempai's contact number, there blows my chance…

Rukawa `s favorite nurse came back. "Doctor, we didn't find any identication on Rukawa-kun's friend."

His lips quirked. Luck was on his side.

"Sensei, you said that the wound's not that deep."

"Yes, but…"

"Then work on me so I can make that phone call."

The hapless doctor stared at his stubborn patient, then gave vent to a sigh. He nodded to the nurse that hovered above Rukawa's head, who set down the mask she was holding.

"Domo arigato, sensei," Rukawa said sincerely.

The man merely shook his head as he prepared for the procedure. But Rukawa wasn't done.

"One other thing?" he ventured, earning a scowl from the harried doctor.

At the end of Rukawa's request, he was shaking his head in disbelief. "But why?" was his only remark.

"It's important, sensei." He gripped at the doctor's sleeve. "Promise me you will honor my request. Please." He let him read the urgency in his eyes.

The angled features softened as he gently disengaged Rukawa's hand, setting it down with a gentle pat.

"You have my word, young man. Don't worry."

Rukawa smiled tiredly at him before turning back to Kogure's room. He was just in time to see him being wheeled out of the trauma room. It looked like all will be well.

"Brace yourself, Rukawa-kun," the doctor warned as he observed the liquid in a large syringe capped with an equally large needle. "This is not going to be pleasant."

Rukawa's lips parted slightly. All will be well, alright.

Except him.

The phone rang incessantly through the Akagi residence. Only one was awake, and he stumbled to get to the phone before its infernal ringing woke the household.

This better be worth it. "Hello?" he spoke gruffly into the receiver.

"Akagi Takenori, please." It was Rukawa. Although a little unsteady, the aloof tone was unmistakable.

"What is it, Rukawa?" Akagi asked straightaway. Shohoku's sullen forward calling him in the middle of the night meant something was amiss.

"Akagi-sempai." Akagi didn't like want to expect the worst, but the urgent tone on the other line made matters worse.

"It's Kogure-sempai."

Akagi's stomach lurched. "What happened? Where is he?" he managed to blurt out. He couldn't stand anything bad befalling his gentle friend.

"We're here at Kanagawa General…"

"I'm on my way," Akagi cut in, ready to hang up and dash out the door.

"Captain."

"Yes?" He willed himself to listen.

"He's alright now."

Akagi found himself breathing again. But it wasn't enough to know. He had to see him for himself.

"Should I contact his parents?" he asked in a surprisingly hesitant tone.

The team captain suppressed a grin under the circumstances. "He lives with his grandparents. I'll do it. And Rukawa," he added, "stay with him until we arrive. Silence. "Rukawa?"

"Hai."

He gave a grunt. "See you there."

Akagi didn't wait for any response and hung up. He stared at the phone for a long time. He hated to be the one who bore ill tidings to those old folks of Kogure's. Heaven knows what would happen if they learned what happened to their grandson. They might even forbid him from playing basketball.

Cut it out. They're old, not frail.

But what was he going to tell them? In his agitation, he forgot to ask Rukawa what had happened. He frowned.

I hope Rukawa was right, he prayed as he picked up the receiver and dialed for Kogure's home.

It was Kogure's grandfather who answered. In a few words, Akagi explained his grandson's predicament, although vaguely. But he clearly assured him that Kogure was out of danger.

The old man didn't speak that Akagi thought something might have happened to him. But in the next minute, he spoke up.

"My wife musn't know about this," he stated. "A weak heart, you see."

Akagi shut his eyes. He saw the image of Kogure's grandmother. It wasn't a pleasant picture he painted.

"I'll just tell her that Kim stayed over with you regarding a school project, and will be coming home the next day."

He felt uneasy about keeping Kogure's condition from his grandmother…

Kim, huh?

"But, sir," Akagi reasoned, "he might not be allowed to go home tomorrow."

He heard the grandfather sigh. "Then leave it to me. I will come up with an alibi regarding his absence. Right now, I can't leave her."

"I understand. I am on my way there to check on him."

"Domo arigato," he said in enthusiasm. "You're a good lad, Akagi-kun. Kim is lucky to have a friend like you."

"I-it's nothing," he mumbled, fidgeting with the phone cord. "Sumimasen, but I need to go."

"Yes, yes. I mustn't keep you. Please let me know how he is."

"I will."

So many questions, so many images ran through Akagi's mind. It wasn't unlike the time when Anzai-sensei had his heart attack. Why didn't it occur to him to ask the full details of Kogure's condition? Rukawa said that he was alright.

Kogure's face swam in his head. He's been Akagi's friend since they met on court as junior high rookies. He may be a quite shy, but in him burned the same determination as he has. It wasn't just basketball as the reason for his friendship with the bespectacled cager. He was the quiet pillar that stood by you no matter what.

I couldn't be where I am if you hadn't given up from the start.

He paid the cab and sprang out, striding straight for the emergency room's information desk. Kogure-kun's room was at Room 315 on the third floor. He didn't wait for the elevator, but bounded for the stairs three steps at a time. On arriving on the third floor, he scanned the floor and immediately found the room near the end of the hall to his left. Knocking on the door twice, Akagi entered without waiting for a response. He was met by a sight of Rukawa sprawled on an oversized armchair, hugging a bag while his legs were propped on a stool. The slow, even breathing gave him away.

At least he stayed, Akagi noted with a small grin.

When his eyes strayed to the hospital bed, he felt like he hit a brick wall. His friend lay there, scratches and bruises on exposed skin. His left hand was cast in a splint. He looked worse for wear, but he was alive. But Kogure won't be joining them for the playoffs.

A rustling sound caught his attention, and saw the younger player stirring in his chair. Rukawa squinted through narrow slits, then rubbed at his sleepy eyes. Blinking a few times, recognition came to his features.

"Captain," he mumbled, beginning to rise.

Akagi held up a hand, telling him to remain seated. Rukawa looked like he needed it. There was a marked paleness on the rookie's face and an overall air of exhaustion about him.

"What happened to him?" he asked.

He noticed his jaw tighten. He didn't reply immediately, leaning his elbows on his knees.

"He got beaten up by some punks," he replied in his usual quiet manner. "I found him lying in the alley."

Akagi knew of that area en route to Kogure's house, It had a small reputation of being the haunts of gangs and low lifes. What was Kogure doing in that place?

"And how is it that you happen to be there?"

"I live nearby," Rukawa answered, unruffled at Akagi's questioning gaze.

Stop it, Take, he mentally chided.He's not the enemy.

"What did the doctor say?" he asked as he looked at the patient's face.

"He has a cracked rib and a sprained wrist," the rookie reported. "Kogure-sempai's also got a mild concussion. But the sensei said he can go home in a few days. But he needs complete rest."

A growl emanated from his throat. If and when he finds those jerks…

A thought came to Akagi's mind. "Did you interfere?"

Something akin to fear passed the other boy's face.

Akagi stepped forward in front of Rukawa. "Did you try to stop them?"

He didn't answer, but stared at Akagi with a tinge of defiance in his eyes.

In return, Akagi placed a hand on his shoulder. "Not to worry," he assured. "What's important is that Kogure's safe. Anzai-sensei need not know."

Still, Rukawa didn't reply, but relief was evident in his features.

"Come on," Akagi urged, "let's go home. We can't do anything for Kogure at the moment. We have practice tomorrow. Kogure wouldn't us to miss that because of him."

To this, Rukawa nodded. He gathered his things and got up stiffly to follow Akagi to the door.

Before stepping out, Akagi turned towards the sleeping patient.

"See you tomorrow, Kim."

Back at the information desk, Akagi called for a cab.

"Where can I drop you off?" he asked Rukawa.

"Iie, I have my bike," he said, declining the offer.

Akagi smirked. "Considering what happened tonight, I think it would be best for you ride with me."

Rukawa didn't argue the point. He took his racer from the stands and settled his bike into the trunk before getting in at the back, with Akagi sitting in the front seat.

It was an opportunity to observe the icy player. From the rearview mirror, Akagi watched Rukawa staring off into the darkness. He caught him surreptitiously glancing at him before returning his gaze out the window.

I guess it's in his character, he thought in reference to Rukawa's aloof demeanor, not just on court. But why does he need to act so?

"Where's your house, Rukawa?" Akagi asked, looking intently at the figure in the mirror.

"Right, fifth house on the left."

They parked in front of a simple, two-storey house. A blue Subaru was parked at the garage, the small front lawn well-kept. Akagi wondered how a homey atmosphere like that housed someone like his teammate.

"How much do I owe?" he heard Rukawa, saw him getting out.

"That's ok. Consider it my thanks for helping out Kogure," he said.

Rukawa looked on before getting out. After a minute, he came beside the cab, bike in tow.

"See you in practice, Rukawa," Akagi reminded.

He responded with a quick bow then turned towards the house.

Tsuzuku…



…Okay, so Chapter 3 doesn't need much beta-ing. Just needed to answer some questions regarding… stuff. ^_^

Terms:

Daijobu -- It's alright; it's ok

Domo arigato -- Thank you very much.

Hai --yes

Iie -- no

sensei -- a title used for doctors, writers, teachers

Sumimasen -- "Excuse me"

-kun -- "young Mr. ..."