Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Brothers in Arms ❯ Visits ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

3

Visits

"So. What've you got for us, Four-eyes?"

"Gomen. I don't have anything that can interest you."

"What'd you say?!"

"We get to say what we want from you!"

"Maybe we oughta teach him a lesson…"

"Kogure-kun…"

"Good idea." Raucous laughter.

"Please, I don't have time for this." A punch in the gut.

"Oh, we'll make time for you…"

"Kogure-kun…"

"Stop it! Please!"

"Kogure-kun?"

His eyes flew open to blinding light. Blurred images danced in front of him before they stood still. A lump of shadow hovered close by.

"Daijobu ka?"

He squinted at the shadow, willing himself to focus. Everything hurt, including his eyes. Gradually, the shadow began to take a vague white form. From it something like arms reached out and slipped something on his face.

Kogure blinked several times and the sharpened image of a hospital nurse came to view.

"Nani…?" he managed to croak, his throat dry.

"How do you feel?" she asked with a smile.

He brought his hand to his face, felt the splint encasing his left wrist. A soft compress was held on his temple.

"Do you know where you are?"

To this, he shook his head, and winced. It earned him a sudden headache.

"Try to relax, Kogure-kun,' the gentle female voice continued. "You're safe now."

"Safe…" The memory of his ordeal came in a rush. They were mere boys who picked on him. He couldn't fight back, being bound to an oath to his team and to himself. They were cruel, heedlessly hitting him despite his pleas. If those kids went on, he was sure he would be in a far worse state, if not for-

"R-Rukawa-kun," he murmured, reopening his eyes. "Is he all right?"

He was puzzled to see the look that passed the nurse's eyes. "Ah, he's fine. He was the one who brought you in," she replied.

Kogure was relieved. Team Shohoku needs him right now.

"Can I get you anything?" the nurse inquired.

"Can I h-have a drink?"

"I'm sorry, but you can't have a drink while you have an IV line. You can have whatever you like once we take it out. Let me just get you some ice."

The nurse left Kogure to his thoughts. His mind was already on his grandparents. He didn't know how they would take the news. Then there was the term paper on Literature that needed to be turned in tomorrow. Not to mention other projects he was yet to finish.

Just then, a middle-aged man in a white coat entered, followed by the nurse who spoke to him earlier.

"My name is Dr. Tanigawa," he said in introduction. "I'm glad you're awake, Kogure-kun."

He allowed a faint smile and a small nod.

"Do you know what happened to you?" Tanigawa-sensei asked as he stood by the bed.

"Y-yes," he answered. He didn't want to remember. But their faces appeared every time he closed his eyes: laughing, jeering…

"You suffered a blow to the head," the doctor explained. "Luckily, you suffered no internal head injuries. Though you've taken quite a lot of hits, you're fortunate enough to escape with just a cracked rib and a sprained wrist at worst."

Kogure didn't feel like sharing in the doctor's optimism. Although he was thankful it's still in one piece.

"How long do I have to be confined, sensei?" he asked nervously.

"A couple of days, at least," the doctor averred. "You're still under observation. But if we have no other findings, we can release you in five days."

Five days. Can he wait that long? Shohoku was slated to play against Kyuuzen High School by that time. And, able or not, he had to be there. This was his last year in senior high playing for the team, and he intended to be there every step of the way.

A frown made its way to his brow, to which the doctor quickly assured, "Don't worry. If all looks well, you can be discharged earlier than that." He gave a smile.

"Domo, sensei," Kogure replied.

The petite nurse, who had been quietly checking his IV tube, finally spoke up. "Oh, your team captain-Akagi-kun, was it?-called in this morning. He asked if you were awake. He left a message saying the team will come by later this afternoon."

His face literally lit up, and gave his profuse thanks to the nurse before she took her leave.

Dr. Tanigawa watched her leave, before turning back to the invalid. "So you're playing for a team," he said conversationally.

"Hai," Kogure answered. "Shohoku basketball club."

"Aa, I see," he responded, parking himself on the low bay window. "I don't actually follow the amateur sports field," he confessed, placing his hands in his lab pockets, "but I've been hearing that you're quite good."

"Thank you, sensei," he said meekly.

Dr. Tanigawa's look turned sympathetic. "You must be raring to play," he said. "Your teammates must be counting on you."

Kogure let out an awkward chuckle. "Eh, not really," he admitted.

"Are you one of the starting players?"

The youth felt the heat from his bruised eye spread over his face. "Well, I was…"

"Hora, we've just kept one of the star players from playing," the sensei exclaimed in good humor. He got up and approached the bed. "But don't look glum. If you get complete rest, you'll be springing back to action in no time." He gave Kogure a warm smile before exiting the room.

I wonder how they're doing now, he wondered, staring absently at the swaying branches outside until their lazy movements made his eyelids droop and he fell asleep.

He woke up some time later when he felt someone in the room.

"Ojii-san," Kogure interjected.

The old man stood at the foot of his bed, a bag of plastic in one hand, and a faded brown cap in the other. His lined face broke into a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Konnichiwa, Kim," he greeted his grandson. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes, a little better," he replied, gingerly shifting to get a better view of his grandfather. He looked older than before, more haggard. "The doctor said I can go home in a few days," he contrived a bright tone.

The sad smile again. "I, ah, bought you some food and a few change of clothes." He placed them at the side table and sat down on a metal chair beside the bed without a word.

Kogure glanced at them, then looked back at the elder. "Ojii-san," he said mildly, "What did obaa-san say about what happened to me?"

He sighed. "I hadn't the heart to tell her."

The young man didn't blame him. His grandmother could get herself in such emotional states over any superficial matters regarding her family. Ojii-san was the opposite.

"Akagi-kun and I agreed that you stayed over his house regarding some school project."

"Akagi?" he repeated, frowning. "You never spoke to Rukawa-kun?"

"Akagi-kun was the one who called home," his grandfather supplied. "Who is this Rukawa-kun?"

"He's-he's the one helped me."

Both fell silent for a time, each occupied in their own thoughts.

"I don't know what I will say when she looks for you," Ojii-san spoke up quietly.

"I'll call home later on," Kogure said. "I'll say that I have a project that Akagi and I needed rushing so I need to stay over his house a few days."

The sadness in the old man's eyes were replaced by disbelief. "You will? he asked. "Your grandmother will be pining for you, you know."

"Then I'll call her everyday," Kogure proposed with a laugh.

His grandfather shared his quiet amusement as he stood up. "I must go now, Kim," he announced. "I told Midori I won't be long. But I will come by tomorrow."

Kogure's eyes rested on his tenderly. "Thank you, Ojii-san."

He nodded, putting on his cap. "Get some rest, boy."

The sunny morning turned to cloudy afternoon, giving Kogure a slight headache at the change of weather. He also discovered in the course of his solitude how painful a cracked rib was when he tried to lie on his side. He was getting tired of lying down, but his body demanded it. Yet Kogure didn't let his overall discomfort wear him out too much from seeing his friends.

He was surprised to see them earlier than expected.

"We finished earlier today to come by," Akagi explained as he, together with Miyagi, Mitsui, Sakuragi and Rukawa filed into the suite. Looking beyond the cagers, Kogure noticed the others standing by the door, anxiously peeking in.

"Anzai-sensei and Ayako-chan will be by later," Miyagi piped in. "So, how are you doin'?

"Okay, I suppose," the patient answered, running a hand through his mussed hair.

"Can you make it to our game on Wednesday?" Mitsui asked by the window.

"I'm afraid not," he said sorrowfully, holding up his sprained hand. Mitsui winced.

"But I believe you can beat Kyuuzen," he said in confidence. "I know you will."

"It would be better if everybody's there," grumbled the shooting guard.

Tension slowly descended the room. Anger was clearly read from the other's faces. They looked like they wanted to say something. Judging from their features, it wasn't about the forthcoming game.

"Don't worry, Megane-kun," Sakuragi's low voice penetrated the silence, stepping out from behind Miyagi, his head low. When he leveled his eyes to his, there was undoubtedly fire in them. "Just leave it to the Tensai to carry this team! Nyahahaha!" He made a rather imposing, yet comical stance.

Everyone in the room sighed.

"D'aho."

Kogure gave another sigh. It can only come from one person.

"Teme… kitsune…" Sakuragi's face screwed up, slowly turning around at the silent figure leaning against the wall. "Itai!!"

Akagi's fist met its target squarely, as Sakuragi rubbed his sore head.

"Let me remind you that you're in a hospital, Sakuragi," he said gruffly. "Behave."

"By the way," Miyagi spoke up again, ignoring the two. "The others wanted to see you before they head home." He beckoned the others in.

Yasuda led the pack, quietly entering the room, with a basket of flowers and fruits in tow.

"We hope you get better soon, Kogure-sempai," Yasuda said as he bowed. Kakuta, Shiozaki, Ishii, Sasaoka, and Kuwata followed suit.

Kogure flushed. "Why, thank you, mina," he managed to say.

"While we're all here," Mitsui casually cut in, finger rubbing his chin, "could you tell us how you got away? Akagi never made clear on that."

In an instant, he was stunned. Kogure flicked his gaze towards Akagi, then at Rukawa. In that brief eye contact, he caught the imploring gaze in the usually masked eyes.

"We're not here to interrogate him, Mitsui," Akagi said in a low menace. They locked intense gazes at each other.

"Iie, it's okay," Kogure stepped in. He turned to Mitsui. "I was unconscious when I was brought here," he went on, his gut twisting at the half-baked lie. "They said a night watchman found me."

"Aa," Mitsui shrugged before giving Akagi another dirty look.

"Sumimasen, sempai," Kuwata ventured. "But we have to get going now. We're on our way to our study groups."

Kogure gave an easy smile. "Daijobu. Thank you for visiting."

"That goes for the rest of us, too," Akagi put in. "We have long days ahead of us, and practice is still on tomorrow."

"Hai!" they said in unison. Kogure was sorely wishing he'd be doing the same.

"Take care of yourself, Kogure," Akagi said with a hint of warmth as he put a hand on his shoulder before turning to the others. "Let's go."

"Remember the Tensai's words, Megane-kun," Sakuragi whispered urgently. `We are strong!"

"Maa, maa," urged Miyagi, pushing the redhead towards the door, "get going. See ya around, sempai." He winked at Kogure.

Mitsui hauled himself off the windowsill, sauntering to the bed with one hand thrust in his pocket.

"Oi," he said in his usual careless fashion. "You better catch up soon."

Kogure saw the significant look in his eyes. It was déjà vu all over again. Their roles were reversed, however, those two years ago.

He snapped out of his reverie when he felt a nudge at his foot and saw the other give him a two-finger salute before heading out.

He was conscious of one other left in the room. Rukawa staring at him, arms still folded across his chest. He pushed himself from the wall and straightened.

"Thank you for not telling them," the low, even voice came.

"You're welcome," was all Kogure could think to say.

Their ace player nodded imperceptibly, then shuffled to the door.

Unflappable as usual, Kogure remarked in thought. Could he have acted the same if I told the others?

"Rukawa." Kogure caught him in time by the door. "I wanted to thank you," he said quietly after meeting the other's blank stare, "for helping me last night. You could have gotten yourself into trouble."

"It's nothing," he mumbled, turning away. "It was just something I had to do." Then he walked out, leaving the patient wondering at his last words.

"Kae, you're home early!"

Rukawa Kaede was met by his mother at the door. She was still in her work clothes, jacket off. Her silky raven hair, usually up in a bun, was worn down and tied at the nape. Brilliant hazel eyes came to rest on the tall boy's blue ones.

"Komban wa," Kaede returned with a small smile and a light kiss on his mother's cheek. He was never one who was physical about his affections, let alone vocal. It was an exception with her lately.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked, face etched in concern. "You look a little pale."

"I'm just starving, that's all," he said with a feigned smile. "Is dinner ready?"

"Not for another half hour," she answered. "Why don't you go and take a shower first?" She gave another smile, then walked towards the kitchen.

He tread the stairs heavily. He went straight to his room and threw his bag towards the bed. The moment he closed the door, Kaede leaned against it and drew in a ragged breath. His left hand automatically reached for his wound. He aggravated the pain with the relentless practice session that he had to forego his nightly solo practice just to rest.

He took off his hooded jacket and shirt, then stepped in front of the mirror. Raising his right arm with a grimace, he could see the gauze mottled with blood. Kaede dropped back his arm with a disgruntled sigh.

I can't go on like this, Kaede thought grimly, taking his towel and headed for the bathroom, glancing by the stairs.

He ran the water then began to strip his remaining clothes. He stepped into the shower, letting the warm rivulets cascade from his hair down to his body. The throbbing on his side began to ease as he stood there lost in thought. Kyuuzen High was known for its deep bench, meaning they could pull out one of its scorers and replace him with an equally competent one. Add to that, they have enough defenders under the basket. But, overall, they do not dominate on defense as well as Shohoku does. What worried him is that if they make a run and gun play, they could be run to the ground with their opponent still standing. And in his present state, he might not cope. And not even Kogure-sempai will be there to relieve any of them and provide support. The bottom line was every one of them needs to step up in order to keep up.

His hands fisted against the slick walls. If only he was alert enough, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. The little asshole shouldn't have come back. Perhaps if he had just ridden on, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Maybe Kogure­-sempai would still have survived.

Kaede forced down the negative thoughts, scrubbing himself roughly. I did the right thing, he told himself. If I hadn't intervened, he wouldn't be alive today-

He squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't want to think about it. It still hurt too much, the guilt still raw and real. He was able to do something because he was stronger. That ought to count for something.

He emerged some minutes later feeling refreshed. After drying himself, he wrapped the towel around his waist, then opened the bathroom door, peering through the crack. The coast was clear. He pulled back the door and padded out, his left hand discreetly over the dressing.

His bedroom door locked with a soft click. Kaede picked up his bag and took out a small plastic bag. He sat on the bed and emptied the contents onto it. Out tumbled a pack of linen gauze, transparent dressing, a bottle of disinfectant, and two blister packs. Since he didn't want to come back to the hospital to be fussed over and be coaxed into checking in, Kaede had to dress the wound himself; not that he didn't know how- if the skirmishes in early youth didn't teach him a thing or two.

He gently peeled off the damp bandages, hissing at the adhesive clinging to his skin. There'll be hell to pay when I find the little jerk! Patting dry the surrounding area, he used clean gauze to pat the closed wound. The little compress drew a crimson stain. He grimaced at the sight, but took the bottle and began cleaning it. His eyes shot wide as he felt the sting explode. He let out a pained murmur, but didn't draw back from the hand. The wound was covered with gauze, securing it with the elastic dressing. He shucked over a loose black cotton shirt and disposed of the dirty bandages. He finished dressing up before flopping bodily on the bed with a long groan, staring up at the ceiling. The painkiller and the antibiotic would have to wait until after supper. His eyes were growing heavy that Kaede gave in to the urge to nap.

"Kaede?"

He stirred at the sound of his mother's voice. Opening his eyes blearily, he found her sitting on the edge of his bed.

"You've been asleep for almost an hour."

Kaede blinked in disbelief. From the way he felt, it was only minutes when he fell asleep. "Okaa-san, why didn't you wake me?" he murmured, easing himself on his elbows. "And how did you get in?" He eyed her suspiciously.

"You never got around fixing the lock."

"Oh." Kaede was inwardly thankful she hadn't checked on him earlier.

"I didn't have the heart to wake you earlier," she said. "You look so exhausted; I let you sleep a little more." She frowned slightly as she fixed a thoughtful gaze at him.

"Are you coming down with something? You've been acting strangle lately," she said as she reached out and brushed back his forelocks.

He closed his eyes briefly, relishing the cool touch against his forehead. "I'm fine, okaa-san, really," he stressed mildly. "Things are just very pressing lately with the upcoming game."

"Well, if there was anything wrong, you're going to tell me, ne?" She looked at him significantly, her hands covering his.

Kaede wavered under the gaze. "You know I do," he responded simply.

Mrs. Rukawa grinned. "Well, come on, sleepyhead," she urged. "Help me fix the table."

She tugged at his hand playfully. Kaede allowed himself to be pulled out of his bed, then followed her meekly downstairs.

Tsuzuku


Terms:

Hora - a typical interjection (like "Oh!") ::

Megane - glasses. o_o

Kitsune - whaaaat??? You're no SD fan if you don't know…! ^_~ … tease/. It means `fox.'

Komban wa - Good evening

Ne - is it not? (or something to that effect)

Obaa-san - grandmother

Ojii-san -- grandfather

Okaa-san - mother

Teme -- …er, I forgot. ^.^;; The online dictionary I'm using isn't helping…