Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Brothers in Arms ❯ Renshuu and Last Words ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I couldn't decide whether to put them as a single chapter or not…

(yuko: I didn't say I won't be posting, period. I said I might not be able to since I won't have internet for a couple of weeks. That's why I'm doing this as fast as I can.)




4a

Renshuu

"Are you sure you're alright by yourself, Kim?"

If it wasn't his obaa-san, it was ojii-san. He had to grin in good humor. Ever since he had himself discharged from the hospital the day before, his grandparents hovered over him like mother hens. It was heartening, but it was suffocating at times. Somehow, his grandfather was able to finally tell his wife of what had happened to him. At first, she was thoroughly distressed, that when Kim learned of it, he asked to be checked out immediately. When he was permitted to be brought home, he was amazed when he met her calm but visibly elated at his homecoming.

"Maa, Ojii-san," he said. "I'm old enough to take care of myself."

"I know," he replied gently with an apologetic look. "But you can't stop us from worrying about you."

Kim looked down at the pickup's floor interior with renewed interest. "You don't have to," he said softly. "I'll be fine."

"Shall I pick you up later?"

"N-no, that won't be necessary," he said a little too hastily. He might not hear the end of it from Sakuragi or the others if they saw him being picked up from school by his grandfather. "I'll get by fine."

He merely stared at him before saying, "Take care, mago."

The young man got off then saw his ojii-san off as he drove away. He turned to face the school gate, looking up at the main building. Kogure never thought he would miss the place. He couldn't even wait to get to go to practice this afternoon. Correction, he amended sadly, watch practice.

Pushing up his glasses before picking his bag, he walked carefully through the gate. He had to take it easy if he didn't want to jar his sore limbs too much.

"Kogure!" He turned around to see Akagi stride up to him.

"I didn't know you were coming back today," he said as he shared his slower pace.

"If I delayed in returning, I'd be buried with schoolwork," Kogure returned with an uneasy laugh. He felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at his friend's earnest face.

"Are you sure you're well enough to return?" he asked.

"It'll be alright, Akagi," Kogure assured him.

Akagi gave a nod, and said no more as they made their way towards the school building.

Kogure thought he could tolerate the stares and whispers behind him. When they reached the halls, it got too much as students and faculty members filled the corridors. He felt all their eyes on him, on his darkened left eye, bruised face and arms, and on his left wrist. He was somehow thankful he had Akagi beside him, who scowled at the students who had the temerity to openly gape at them.

He stifled an audible sigh at seeing their classroom door. As Kogure expected, the sight of him elicited gasps and whispers. They hastily returned to their own devices at seeing the figure behind him.

"Is what Akagi said true?" his seatmate asked him as he took his seat. "You were hit by a car?"

Kogure was barely able to contain his surprise as he glanced up at as his teammate. Akagi didn't seem to have heard. Whatever the underlying reason, the truth behind his "accident" will be kept hidden.

His other classmate began to approach, each face marked with curiosity. How did it happen? When did it happen? Did the police catch the driver? When can he play again? The questions came in succession that Kogure couldn't even stammer out a decent answer.

A familiar shadow loomed behind the crowd.

"Leave him be," he said in irritation. "Can't you see he's gone through enough?"

They fell silent, offered their apologies before retreating to their seats. Their teacher chose that moment to enter the classroom.

"You didn't have to do that," Kogure mumbled as he watched them. "But, thanks, Akagi."

His friend gave a wry grin before returning to his own chair.

They commenced with their lessons, but Kogure was half-listening. His thoughts were interspersed with the images of Mitsui and one of his classmates. Their words played back in his head, echoing the same message.

When can he join his team?

He glanced at his hand wrapped in a splint resting on the desk. It will take about three to five weeks to completely heal. His rib will take a little longer. By then, it would be the championship. But, even then, he hardly thinks he would be allowed to play until he was fully recovered.

But does the team still need him? Akagi and the rest will be able to carry team Shohoku just fine. Mitsui and Miyagi have returned, and with Rukawa and Sakuragi reinforcing the team, they're a force to be reckoned with. What do they need a sixth man for?

Kogure blinked, willing the thoughts away. I shouldn't wallow in my misery, he said in thought. Whatever happens, I'm standing by my team every step of the way.

By the time of his last class, Kogure felt drained. His neck felt stiff from shifting in his seat to accommodate it and his aching torso. The occasional headache was now full-blown from all the lectures he had.

At least I'll live to see another day, Kogure thought wryly, removing his glasses to pinch the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes as he did so. He belatedly realized the ringing truth behind it that a slight grin crept up his lips.

"I'll be going to the gym. Are you coming?" Akagi stepped up beside his desk.

"Hai," Kogure replied, squinting up at his captain. He braced a hand on his desk as he stood, wincing at the stab of pain. Akagi's face clouded over.

Kogure offered a dismissive shake of the head and remained standing before taking a step. The sting ebbed to a manageable throb at the succeeding steps as he followed Akagi out of the classroom.

"You know, I can't wait to get back to team practice," he confessed as they passed down the hall. "It feels like I haven't gone to practice for ages! How has it been?"

"The usual," came Akagi's reply as he glanced at his friend. "Sakuragi's still being an annoying baka, especially when he was putting in more time on basic drills. But he's improving, I'll give him that. We've come up some new plays we're trying to polish. He's still trying to cope, but I think Sakuragi can manage, despite his handicapped brain."

Kogure had to chuckle. Though the fiery redhead was more than a handful, he could be depended on come pressuring times. It was when the team was going through the eye of the needle did Sakuragi come through for them. And that, he believed, earned Akagi's respect for the rookie. But that he wasn't going to admit just to anyone.

"Looks like the team's all set. Demo," he said, as a frown deepened in his companion's features, "something still bothers you."

They turned right towards the locker room at the end of the corridor. Akagi slowed his pace, his face thoughtful.

"Rukawa," he voiced the reason for his concern, as they paused in the middle of the hall, "he seems… a little off lately. Since that time"-he looked to Kogure with slight apprehension-"of your accident, he seems distracted. I can't be sure."

It was the first time that day that Kogure hear someone mention that incident. When he did, he had to physically control himself from showing any reaction to Akagi's words. Yet his mind replayed the horrible scene: the faces, the pain, his cries for help…

Stop it!

"He's probably shaken from that event," Kogure managed to eke out the words, absently rubbing his arm, "than he cares to admit. But, knowing how he plays, I don't think he will let it affect him once the game begins."

Akagi grunted in response as they resumed walking. They could hear the usual noises inside the locker room, including…

"Oi, Ryochin!" Sakuragi's voice filtered through the locker room's closed doors. "Can't you tell your Aya-chan to let me skip basics today? I've done too much dribbling that I can hear them in my sleep!"

There was a low growl. "Don't call me Ryochin!" Miyagi screeched.

Akagi and Kogure looked at each other. The latter eased into a snicker, while the former gave a rumbling sigh.

"If you're all quite finished," Akagi announced wryly as they stepped into the frenzy of the room, "we have renshuu."

All heads turned towards the door. Their faces lit up in genuine delight at seeing the shorter figure beside their captain.

"Kogure!"

"Kogure-sempai!"

­"Megane-kun ! You've returned!"

The teams surged forward to meet them. As for Kogure, he felt like he was going to have a heart attack, at a loss at receiving such warm welcome. He returned the warmth he felt in a smile.

His team. His family.

The attention was too much that he ducked his head, scratching the back of it. "Ara, I haven't been gone that long, haven't I?"

"But you were," insisted their point guard Miyagi. "Nobody was around to stand up to Akagi when he's mad."

"He's right," Sakuragi put in. "Gori was a sight when he was in his full fury."

Out of nowhere, a paper fan swiped at the irreverent head.

"And who do you thin was the source of his anger, ne?" Ayako asked archly.

"Why would Gori get mad at the Tensai when he's doing a great job? Itaiii!"

"Wrong answer," she grounded, resting her trusty fan on her shoulder.

Rukawa brushed past the redhead with an exasperated sigh. The other threw deadly glares behind him. As he passed in front of Kogure, their eyes met. In the briefest moment, he glimpsed at a hint of a smile pass the quiet boy's eyes. Rukawa gave a faint nod before he left.

You're far more than what the others think of you, Kogure thought as he recalled having overheard some students refer to his raven-haired teammate as an ice block.

He turned his attention back to his other teammates and watched them prepare for practice. They had no idea how much he missed this, missed his locker, missed running up and down the court until he dropped from sheer exhaustion. He missed the adrenaline pumping through him as he guarded his opponent, or feeling the rush as the ball falls into the ring. It was simple bliss. And he missed it terribly.

They made their way out of the locker room, with Kogure lagging behind. He could almost smell the excitement in the air. Everyone was looking forward to the coming match, and their positive energy was inspiring. Kogure smiled inwardly. A team in high spirits is a team to beat.

He sat on the chair Ayako insisted he sit on as she stood beside him as they watched. The team spent thirty minutes on warm-ups and drills before splitting up the players for a practice game. He noticed something different.

"Why isn't Rukawa participating?" Kogure asked in surprise seeing him take the referee's whistle. Rukawa stood at the sideline, a stoic look on his face.

A shadow cast over Ayako's face. "Rukawa begged off on the practice game today," she said, keeping her gaze on the commencing game. "When I checked on him, I was forced to agree. He had a slight fever. I suppose he wants to conserve his strength against Kyuuzen." She spared a worried glance at the figure jogging along the sidelines monitoring the game.

Kogure, too, veered his eyes from the players on the court to the one playing referee. For some untold reason, he could sense the boy was troubled with something. He knew it wasn't the game ahead. Rukawa was confident enough on his abilities that he can make a difference for team Shohoku. No, Kogure was sure it was something else.

Minutes passed and the practice match was gaining intensity. Rukawa had to call out fouls on the floor as if in an actual game. They were good calls, Kogure noted in appreciation. But, as Fate would have it, most of the errors done were by none other than his so-called rival.

"Nani?!" Sakuragi's voice shrilled. "What do you mean another foul?" He stalked up to Rukawa, getting into his face. "I didn't even touch him!"

In response, Rukawa gestured with his arms, mimicking the movement of Sakuragi's false move, ignoring the fuming redhead.

"It's called a loose ball foul," Mitsui stressed as he came near, a sly grin on his face. "I think we should let Rukawa be the referee more often. That way, Sakuragi won't screw up too much." He stood to one side, his grin wider.

"Shut up, Micchy!" the redhead seethed. He whirled back to Rukawa. "And you better open your eyes, baka kitsune!"

Rukawa didn't reply, but held up his hands to form a 'T'.

"Whaaaaa-??"

"Thanks a lot, Hanamichi," Miyagi said from behind Sakuragi. "Not only did you get a technical, you just gave Kakuta a free-throw."

"But he didn't even have the ball! And why do we have to follow kitsune, anyway?" He jabbed a finger towards him.

"He's the referee," Akagi supplied, his fist on Sakuragi's head for what has been the eighth time. "And we don't argue with the referee's decisions."

"Teme… Gori…" they heard him grumble.

They were interrupted by a shrill whistle.

"Get back to the game," Rukawa intoned as he passed the ball to Kakuta,

"Apparently, he's still capable of teasing Sakuragi," Ayako noted, looking a little crestfallen. "But it disturbs me to see him not joining the game. From the time I have known him in Tamigaoka, he never failed to join the team's practice."

Kogure gave a start, but Ayako didn't seem to notice. The memory of the day he was discharged from the hospital emerged in his mind.

"I trust you will give yourself enough time to recover before playing again."

"I will, sensei. Thank you again," he responded with an effusive bow.

"One other thing, Kogure-kun. Please watch out for your friend."

He was caught off guard at Dr. Tanigawa's words. "Who are you referring to?"

The doctor shook his head. "I can't say more," he said with an apologetic look. "But you will know who I mean."

Kogure was stilled. He watched Rukawa more closely this time. In all outward appearances, Rukawa looked alright, though slightly paler than usual. The bespectacled teenager was also surprised to note that there wasn't even a scratch on the other youth.

Regardless, he thought. I'll have to keep an eye on him. The game is in two days. We can't afford to lose him that we've gone this far.

His quiet observation on Rukawa was slowly diverted to the practice session. In the end, Akagi and Mitui's team won over Miyagi and Sakuragi's team, 50-47. And, as anyone in the team might have predicted, Saluragi blamed the loss on Rukawa.

"Take your loss like a man, Sakuragi," Mitsui chided, catching the towel thrown by his way.

"We wouldn't have lost if kitsune was giving out fouls," Sakuragi complained.

"Do ahou." Akagi, Mitsui, Miyagi and Rukawa were heard saying.

Kogure got up hastily and limped towards the court. The telltale signs were all there. Any minute, a fight would ensue. The redhead was already making his way towards the four.

"Maa, Sakuragi-kun," he said breathlessly when he reached center court, one hand on his abdomen. "You should save your strength for the game. We'll need you."

Sakuragi's reaction almost floored him

"Y-you're right, Megane-kun," he answered in a sober tone, scratching his head. "Gomen nasai."

The other four's responses were just as astonishing. They wore a penitent look as they faced Kogure, mumbling their own apologies. They all headed for the showers, Kogure watching their backs in puzzlement.

He felt a hand on his back. He turned to see the small smile on Ayako's face.

The entire team walked out of school together, which hardly ever occurred during scrimmages. Even Rukawa walked silently among his freshman teammates. Their ruckus was causing bystanders to stop and stare as they passed. Kogure didn't mind nor try to quiet them. He missed it all too much.

At the school gate, Ishii, Kuwata, and Sasaoka bade their goodbyes and went their own ways. Akagi, meanwhile, had to stay behind after class for their group project.

"Hora! I almost forgot our project's due in a few days!" Kogure interjected. "I'll come with you."

"No need," Akagi replied. "We can handle it. With all the contributions you've put in, it will only take a day or two to finish."

"But, Akagi…"

"No arguments," he answered sternly, but the concern was in his eyes. "It's your first day back. Go home and rest for now."

Kogure sighed. Akagi was also their group's leader.

"Akagi-sempai's right, you know," Kakuta said as they watched their captain's departing form.

"Yeah," Mitsui echoed, as they continued on their way towards the train station. "I know how anxious you are to getting back to your routine. But it takes time before everything goes back to normal. Don't hurry. Believe me, I know."

Kogure half-grinned as he looked at Mitsui, but offered no reply.

"Oi, Rukawa!" Mitsui suddenly called out when he noticed the rookie peeling away from the group. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Home," came the other's sullen reply, not even bothering to turn back. "My bike's in the parking lot."

"Hurry up, then," Miyagi urged. "We'll wait for you."

"Don't bother."

"Kitsune's right!" Sakuragi cut in with a scowl at Rukawa's direction. "Why do we have to wait for that arrogant snob who can't show any team spirit?"

Rukawa's back stiffened, pausing in his stride. Then he gave a sigh and went on, hands jammed in his trouser pockets.

"Let him go," Kogure said. "I'm quite sure he needs to rest up for the game. Ayako said that he ha a little fever."

"Rukawa is sick?" Mitsui exclaimed. The others shared his surprised reaction.

"Nobody told you?"

"No! At least, not yet." The other senior's expression turned thoughtful.

"Why didn't Ayako inform us?" Yasuda wondered.

"Maybe she'll tell us tomorrow," Miyagi said with a glare at Yasuda.

"Who cares?" Sakuragi proclaimed loudly. "Why concern yourselves with that sickly kitsune who can't finish a game? The Tensai will carry you off to victory!"

They all gave a tired groan as they walked on, leaving the laughing redhead standing on the sidewalk.

Before reaching the train station, Shiozaki and Kakuta went off to their study group in their classmate's home. The rest saw Miyagi and Yasuda off to the northbound train.

"Aren't you two going home?" Kogure asked his two remaining companions. Mitsui lived a few blocks away, so did Sakuragi, though in the opposite direction.

"We'll see you home first," Mitsui said.

"Guys, you really don't have to," Kogure answered gently, but somehow felt their concern a little too stifling.

"We insist," he said with a steady gaze at him. "You might black out and collapse for all we know." He gave a hollow laugh, from which Kogure could detect apprehension.

"Please let us do this, Megane-kun," Sakuragi put in with a pleading look. "Gori's been telling us he shouldn't have let you stay out so late that night. He feels bad about what happened to you."

"We all do." Mitsui was staring at his shoe scuffing the tiled platform. "This is the least we can do for you. And it will put our minds at ease, is Akagi's."

Kogure kept silent. The tough guys of their basketball team are humbly offering their company. Now he couldn't have the heart to drive them away.

He gave a defeated sigh. "If you insist. Lets' go, then." He led them to the waiting platform for his train.

Getting on the train, both boys insisted that he sit as they stood by him. They began discussing the upcoming game, until the talk drifted to their practice game. Mitsui and Sakuragi got into a heated debate regarding the latter's play that Kogure had to clear his throat to get their attention.

"Ah, Mitsui, Sakuragi-kun. We're here." He stood up slowly, holding back a grimace. Thankfully, they were too distracted to notice.

The two walked by either side of him as they left the platform. Their height and sharp features made an intimidating image that bystanders gave them a wide berth.

Kogure took out his wristwatch from his pocket. "Anou, it's getting late," he announced. "You two should be on your way."

"Nonsense," Mitsui protested gruffly. "We plan to see you all the way home."

"That's right!" Sakuragi seconded.

"Guys," Kogure began slowly, "I'm very grateful for what you're doing. But I think I can handle it from here on."

"Why?" Mitsui had one hand on his hip. "Already tired of our company?"

"No, it's not that," he tried to explain, adjusting his glasses. "You have to understand I have to do this on my own. If I'm to get better, I have to make my own efforts."

Seeing them still silent, Kogure went on. "I don't blame Akagi or anybody else for what happened. It's very hard to get by, I know. But if I rely too much on you, you'll never be rid of me." He grinned.

Kogure turned his gaze to Mitsui. He felt more in-tuned with his standpoint than with their younger teammate. Mitsui would understand. It was a matter of keeping your pride.

Mitsui eased into a smirk, then clapped him on the shoulder lightly. "Are you sure about this, Kogure?"

"Micchy…"

"Yes," he asserted, sparing a glance at both of them. "I'll be fine. And, besides, you two need to rest. The game is in two days. I'd be disappointed if you two play below expectations."

"Me? Not at my best?" Sakuragi asked with a finger at his face. "The Tensai is never below best!"

Mitsui rolled his eyes before resting them on Kogure. There was a gleam in the piercing gaze. "If that's what you wish. But we'll still be around if you need us, understood? Come on, Sakuragi."

"Eh? I thought we're taking Megane-kun home?" he asked the older boy as he was tugged at the sleeve.

"He's a big boy now, Sakuragi," he answered, with a knowing grin at Kogure. "And he's right. You need your beauty rest. That way you won't ruin the game too much."

Sakuragi's gaze narrowed at Mitsui. "Micchy…" he growled. "If it wasn't for Megane-kun, I'd…"

"Yareyare," he muttered nonchalantly. "You're coming to the game, ne?"

"I wouldn't miss it for anything," Kogure responded with a big grin.

Kogure stood as they made their way back to the station, then turned to make his way home.

His mind was preoccupied by the upcoming games that he didn't realized he was nearing that fateful alley. Kogure felt the blood drain from his face. Could they still hang around there? His breathing became erratic. A strange look from a passing elderly man woke him to the realization that he was still planted on the pavement. His eyes never left that corner of the street.

Get away!

He quickened his pace and crossed the street, ignoring the burning in his ribcage. His forced stride jogged every hurting joint in his body that when he reached the sidewalk, he was trembling. He leaned against a parked car to gather his breath. He was caught mid-breath when a fresh shooting pain erupted from his midsection when he tried to straighten up. He sagged back against the hood.

I have to get away.

He suddenly heard bright ringing and a sound of an approaching bicycle. Kogure shook his head slightly. Don't let your feet run with your imagination, he chastised himself. There are people still on the streets.

"Sempai."

He knew the voice. Kogure jerked his head up and was relieved to see a familiar face.

"I… thought you've already gone home," he said to Rukawa as he dismounted his racer and came nearer.

"I am on my way home," he pointed out shortly, coming up beside him. "You don't look too good."

"Nani?" Kogure asked distractedly, controlling his breathing. "I got a little tired from walking, that's all."

Rukawa nodded slightly. Kogure noticed him glancing at a distant spot behind him. He didn't have to know what he was looking at.

He stood when the ache subsided some minutes later. Rukawa still stood there watching him.

"Do you live nearby?" Kogure asked casually. He believed his tact on Mitsui and Sakuragi would work with this one. He wasn't going to turn him away this time. It was an opportunity to have the company of the elusive guy. If he thought about it, Rukawa was never seen anybody else's company, except his teammates. And that was only during games and team practices, or anything related to team Shohoku.

Basketball. It seemed it was all about basketball for Rukawa Kaede. There must be something more to him than meets the eye. Out of courts, he was an enigma, almost an untouchable quality. Not even his horde of fan girls evinced any interest in the quiet player, which added to his mysterious charm. He was obviously admired by male and female alike for his skills and good looks, and just as envied for the same reasons.

"Yes." The muted reply roused Kogure from his thoughts. They were sharing a lazy pace along the sidewalk, Rukawa walking beside his bike.

They passed one block in silence. Kogure looked up to his kohei, his face blank. A thought occurred to him.

"A police officer came by the next day after the team's visit," Kogure spoke up in an attempt to open conversation. "He asked questions regarding… that night." He faltered, then gave an apologetic look. "I couldn't keep you out of it, I'm sorry. I know you're thinking if news of your involvement reached Anzai-sensei , he might not let you play."

"It's not a problem," Rukawa answered, face impassive.

"That's good to hear, I think," he returned candidly. "Have the investigators spoken to you yet?"

A frown passed Rukawa's features. "I came to the police station to answer their questions."

"I see," said Kogure thoughtfully. "I hope that it didn't cause any problems with you."

Another awkward silence followed after his remark. He never thought it was such an effort to maintain casual conversation with Rukawa. Aside from the fact that Kogure knew next to nothing about his teammate's other interests, the latter was rather unhelpful in moving the talk along.

Basketball, then. "Why didn't you join the practice game today?" he queried.

Uncertainty found its way in the other's face. "I'm not feeling well." He steadied the handlebar as they came to a raised sidewalk, never taking his eyes from his hands.

"Ayako told me as much. I hope you'll feel better come the match. How are you feeling now?"

"Don't worry about it, sempai. I intend to play."

"That's not what I was concerned about," Kogure confessed quietly. "I know you'll do your best. And in your doing so, you're forgetting your own welfare."

Rukawa looked startled.

"You shouldn't overexert yourself," he went on boldly especially, "especially in your condition. You mustn't carry all the weight on your shoulders. That's what your teammates are for: you share the burden of responsibility together."

When he finished, he looked back at his teammate. He had that appearance of one disturbed by his thoughts. I hope he will always remember that.

They reached the intersection. From there Kogure would cross to the other side and from there, proceed to the side street then right at the first corner toward his house. He turned to Rukawa.

"Where exactly do you live?" he asked him.

Rukawa just gaped at him. He blinked once, then answered, "Uh, left at the second corner."

"Straight ahead, or this way?"

He indicated the street on the right. Kogure hid a small grin.

"Let's go, then."

Kogure held back a sigh as mixed feelings of amusement, gratitude, and mild exasperation came over him. If this was Rukawa's way of helping out, he wouldn't be the one to refuse.

They continued talking; or rather, Kogure asked some questions regarding school while Rukawa answered succinctly. It wasn't much of a conversation, but it made time pass easier before they reached their destination.

"If you're having trouble with your subjects," Kogure said, "don't hesitate to approach Akagi, Ayako, or me. Or come to me since-since I won't be practicing with you for some time." He added wistfully, then feigned enthusiasm. "Does anyone help you in your homework?"

It was just a moment, but he saw a flicker of emotion cloud his guarded expression.

"No," was Rukawa's only reply.

"I understand," he murmured softly, hesitant to ask any more at the elicited reaction. "I'm aware that you've been having a hard time with History. I've kept my notes since my freshman year. I can lend it to you, if you want."

In response, Rukawa's eyes widened a fraction, a hint of surprise on his face. He mumbled his thanks.

"Well, this is my street," Kogure proclaimed when they made it to the first turn. "I'll see you tomorrow, ne?"

He found his teammate still in his place, hesitation playing in his eyes.

"Kogure-sempai."

"Yes, Rukawa-kun?"

"I was hoping to borrow your History notes today," he said and glanced away.

Kogure stared at him at length before saying, "Sure, no problem. But can we rest for a moment?" he added sheepishly.

Seeing him nod, he grinned his thanks and rested his back against the lamppost. He bowed his head, trying to contain his pained discomfort.

"You should have stayed home for a few more days," he said in a curt undertone, breaking the long silence.

Kogure looked up. "If I stayed absent, I would never catch up in my schoolwork," he answered. "You might not believe me, but I missed going to school and going to practice. I've been busy with many things that I got so restless when I was confined." A knowing smile came at seeing his companion grimace. "You don't like school very much, do you?" he teased lightly.

"I think it's a waste of time," he stated rather quickly.

"You shouldn't say that," Kogure said lightly, but was disappointed all the same. He started to rise, swaying slightly. His hand shot out and caught the frame of Rukawa's bike in trying to steady himself.

"G-gomen," Kogure murmured. "I guess I'm not ready to go yet."

"We should call your grandparents to pick you up."

"There's no need," he said holding up a hand. "My house is only a few blocks away. I suppose I just need a little more time to regain my balance."

Rukawa peered at him, then shrugged.

As he took in some deep breaths, Kogure was somehow thankful he turned down his grandfather's offer of a ride home. It was only a brief walk, but he felt he got closer to knowing Rukawa a bit more than anybody else did.


Ara - an interjection (equiv. to "Oh!", etc.)

-chan - term of endearment used by children, or used on young girls, or a loved one.

Demo - however

Maa - another interjection

kohei -- junior

nani - what

mago - grandson

Renshuu - practice

Yareyare - "whatever…"

Part 4b soon!