Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Just a Little Love Story... ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Nine: Preparations
 
“How much money do you think we would need to get food for everyone?” - asked Mitsui after he had picked Aki up after her class, and now they were walking towards the stadium to pool some money from everyone to be able to hold the party properly. “How many are on the team, and who's getting invited?” - Akiko replied with a question of her own. “There are twelve in Shohoku basketball team” - answered Mitsui - “And Haruko and Ayako are probably invited. Two of my friends are also invited. So…” “That makes sixteen people.” - Aki finished for him. “Yep” - he smiled, and continued - “But, we'd better go to Miyagi to get the list of people that are sure to come to the party.” He added - “I think he'll be in the stadium, helping Ayako with decorating the stadium.” “Whoo!” - Aki breathed out - “Why'd you just start doing all these stuff today?!” “Ha ha!” - Laughed Mitsui - “Last minute preparations are more exciting than getting prepared a whole week in advance.” “More like `nerve-racking'!” - Aki commented back. Mitsui grinned and Aki had to swallow her thoughts. I really have to concentrate on doing the food-job, she scolded herself, I can't think about Mitsui sempai all the time! He's more nerve-racking than all those last minute preps he's been talking about!
 
“Hey Mitchy!” - Miyagi greeted them - “Konnichiwa Akiko-chan!” Miyagi was helping his girlfriend decorate by blowing some balloons together with Akagi when the Aki and Mitsui entered the stadium. “Konnichiwa” - replied Aki, whereas Mitsui just gave a big wave. Ayako smiled at them. “Dude” - started Mitsui, patting Miyagi's shoulder - “have you got the list of invitees ready?” Ayako waved a piece of paper in front of Mitsui's nose and told him - “The two of us switched jobs, so I'm doing the invitations.” At this point, Mitsui jabbed at Miyagi's side in amusement and directed his question to Ayako. “Yes” - replied Ayako, and proudly told him - “In fact, I did it in within thirty minutes.” “Wow!” - Mitsui commented - “That fast?” Ayako kept her nose in the air, but glared at her boyfriend when he said - “Including the fact that she spent all my money on making phone calls.” “It wasn't that expensive!” - Ayako shrieked angrily, and whacked Miyagi with her paper fan when he replied - “But the exact amount you used equaled to all the pocket-money my mom gave me within weeks.” “Shut up! Go back to work!” - Ayako yelled at him, starting to get a pink tinge on her face, but Aki or Mitsui or anyone in the whole stadium could not decide whether it was because she was furious or embarrassed.
 
“Those two are just so funny!” - Akiko laughed as she walked out of the stadium with her sempai. They were now headed towards the McDonald's in front of their school. “That's what couples are like…” - Mitsui sighed in reply, glancing at her with a meaningful look as he spoke. Aki stared back at him, open-mouthed, wondering if he meant with those melting eyes of his: `I want you…' She shook herself mentally. But still… Why did he look at her so longingly? She restrained herself from looking at him, and stared at the paper Ayako had given her. She added more people into the food list that she had already counted. “Sixteen plus…” - she whispered to herself, counting the people on the list by placing a finger on each name - “six… Including sensei and me means eight… Which means…?” She counted on her fingers, but before she had finished, Mitsui told her -“Twenty-four.” “Thank you” - Aki smiled back - “I take a little slower counting numbers that are above five.” Mitsui grinned at her and nodded, encouragingly saying - “But you beat me to it before.”
 
The two of them entered McDonald's and Aki waited while Mitsui ordered the food. “Miss, can we order thirty-five burgers in advance for tonight?” - Mitsui asked the girl at the counter. Aki studied the girl with narrowed eyes and saw that she looked smitten with Mitsui too. Aki felt like sticking out a tongue at the girl and telling her in a loud voice: That dude's mine! But Aki did restrain herself. She would only embarrass herself. “Yes” - the girl replied shyly. “Thanks. You're a good sport! “- he told her with a grin - “We'll come to pick it up by seven.” Aki commented - “But Mitsui sempai, people might get hungry at about six-thirty.” He nodded and changed his order - “at six-thirty, we'll come and get the burgers.” The girl scowled at Aki because she was the girl that changed his mind whereas Aki just smiled back sweetly, but triumphantly.
 
The next stop was to a store which sold some drinks. “By the way sempai” - asked Akiko as they walked - “Why did you order thirty-five burgers when there are going to be only twenty-four of us at the party?” He smiled and replied - “You're still new here, so you wouldn't know our appetite yet.” Aki smiled back, but it was a little hard for her to understand that all the guys with their bulging muscles ate a lot. They'd get fat if they ate a lot of junk food, she thought, but perhaps Anzai sensei pushed them hard enough to make them still maintain their strong masculine shape. “All the guys at the party will eat at least two burgers” - Mitsui told her - “including me. And I can bet on that.” They got to the store while she was half-way through giggling. She covered her mouth and tried to stop herself from giggling. She stopped while Mitsui asked the shopkeeper to keep about two cartons of coke and a carton of orange in a freezer, but Aki still had a soft smile playing on her lips. “Is it that funny?” - asked Mitsui when he saw that she was still amused with what he had told her. “Nope” - she replied, but the giggle she was trying to restrain burst out. “Little liar” - he muttered with a smile on his face too -“You're going to make me embarrassed.” “Sorry Mitsui sempai” - She told him, now turning pink from giggling too much - “I just couldn't help it.” He laughed a little too and waited till she paused to tell her - “You're cute, kid.” This time, it really stilled her laughter.