Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Just a Little Love Story... ❯ Anzai sensei's party ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Ten: Anzai sensei's party
 
The party had already started when they arrived at the stadium, and the sound of `ho, ho, ho' stated that Anzai sensei had just arrived, much like Aki and Mitsui. “We'd better go in quickly” - Mitsui told Aki, and they rushed in together. When they entered, they were instantly stunned by the sight of how good the decorations were. The colors of the graffiti were beautiful, some colors complimenting each other, despite the fact that they were crazy and loud. Rukawa had his party music on, bringing his stereo and amplifiers into the stadium. The effect was amazing: party music pumping out of the speakers, graffiti flying everywhere as people popped small crackers to honor the presence of their sensei. “Three cheers to our greatest sensei!” - Sakuragi whooped, while others followed his lead and yelled in reply - “Hip, Hip, Hurray! Hip, Hip, Hurray! Hip, Hip, Hurray!” Anzai sensei ho-hoed along, pleased at what his students had presented to him. Akiko felt that only a few seconds had passed as she watched people play with Anzai sensei's fat and chatting with him, some even starting to dance. When Mitsui came to her to remind her that it was time to get the burgers and drinks she nodded, and slowly followed him out of the door. She gave a quick look behind her to seek Haruko because somehow tonight Aki felt that she needed to break a promise to tell a secret to that tiny girl.
 
“Take twelve burgers Aki” - Mitsui said, as he put a large bag in her hand - “And I'll give the rest to the guys at the counter.” She took the bag, but felt uneasy. She thought it would be safer to stay with Mitsui, than walk back to the stadium with two weird looking guys. “But…” - she started, having a `don't leave me alone' expression on her face. “Don't worry” - he replied, squeezing her shoulder slightly - “You'll do fine…” He turned to point at Akagi and continued - “I need to get the drinks. They're gonna be too heavy to carry alone, so Akagi is gonna help me.” Aki was really scared and wanted to refuse going with those two strangers, and her large deep blue eyes showed it. However, Akagi noticed it first and muttered - “I wouldn't send my sister alone with two complete strangers, dude. And Aki is about just my little sis as Haruko is. It isn't safe.” Mitsui scratched his head and replied - “But dude, you can't carry all those drinks alone.” Akagi smiled and told him - “I'll manage, dude. I'm not a kid.” “Are you sure?” - Mitsui asked back. Akagi grinned a little wider and answered - “Since when were you so worried about me? Just go with Aki.” “Okay dude, if you're sure” - Mitsui said, then he turned to Aki and continued - “Then, you'll have to carry extra. If you don't mind…” She smiled back in relieve and had to grin in thanks at Akagi. “Thank you” - she mouthed to Akagi, and he nodded his head. However, there was something nagging in Aki's mind: why didn't Mitsui mind letting her go alone with strangers? Didn't he like her enough to be with her instead of the counter guys? Mitsui handed her more burgers, and with its weight, she only concentrated on how to make them feel lighter if not materially. “See ya dude!” - Mitsui yelled to his team-mate who replied a loud “Yeah!” Then, all three of them went their separate ways.
 
Aki struggled into the stadium with her seventeen burgers, and proceeded to put them in a large plate for everyone to dig into. With Haruko's help she continued when Mitsui dumped his sack near them. He muttered quickly - “I'm gonna go help Akagi back at the drink store.” The two girls nodded and he ran away towards the direction of the stadium door. “Thank you for helping” - Aki told Haruko, smiling softly at her. “My pleasure” - the smaller girl replied, smiling back; however, she suddenly stopped when she remembered how Aki was related to Shohoku's heartthrob. Aki was supposed to be Haruko's crush's girlfriend. “My pleasure…” - Haruko murmured again and walked softly away, becoming emotional. That was when Aki knew that it was time for her to break the secret to the girl who was crushing on her brother. “Haruko! Haruko!” - Aki called out quickly, running after the shorter girl. The other girl stalled herself and waited for Aki's quick leaps to catch up. “Nani?” - Haruko asked, surprised that her supposed rival was trying hard to get her attention. Haruko thought, is she going to tell me something important? Or tell me to stay away from her boyfriend? “I've gotta tell you something important” - Aki told her, and immediately pulled her out of the stadium.
 
“I really feel that I needed to tell you this” - said Aki - “Even if my brother's gonna kill me if he finds out.” Aki giggled nervously while Haruko just stared at her and waited patiently for what Aki wanted to say. Aki scanned their surroundings for awhile that Haruko subconsciously did it too. “Okay” - Aki whispered - “Rukawa Kaede is my brother.” Haruko's eyes widened and she tired to correct what she was hearing - “You mean, boyfriend.” Aki shook her head and said again - “No. He's my brother. My twin.” “Nani…” - Haruko said, too surprised and shocked to find it out. It was hard to believe. “Why did you guys lie?” - She asked, and Aki sighed back - “Onii-chan is very annoyed with all the girls that follow him around all the time.” Haruko gulped down and wondered if she fit into that category of `annoying girls'. She hoped not. Rukawa Kaede… Right, Haruko thought, they still have different surnames. “Then why is he a Rukawa and you a Saito?” - Haruko asked quickly. “Well” - Aki replied with a sad expression - “My mother married her rich manager during her modeling days, leaving my poor singer father and my brother.” “I'm sorry to hear that” - Haruko apologized softly, reaching for Aki's hand. “I was separated with onii-chan for ten years and somehow I managed to live with it” - Aki told Haruko, trying her best not to cry since she could feel the pain revived all over again. “I'm so glad to have my onii-chan back with me that I don't ever wanna let go of him again!” - Aki cried, tears uncontrollably pouring down her face. She sobbed even as she closed her hands over her face, she murmured - “When have I ever been this emotional?” “I understand” - Haruko said, rubbing her back sympathetically. Haruko imagined herself separated from her older protective brother and realized that if ever they were separated, she would be crying the rest of her life. She realized that he was a very precious person. “Don't cry anymore Aki” - she said gently, and added teasingly - “Or your pretty face will go ugly.” Aki giggled through her tears and stopped, suddenly throwing Haruko a huge hug and saying loudly - “I like you a lot Haruko!” They laughed together and reentered the stadium with Aki's arms hanging over Haruko's shoulders and Haruko's around Aki's waist. “By the way” - Aki asked consciously - “Am I really pretty?” Haruko giggled and told her - “Of course you are! Do you remember that yesterday I commented on your eyes?” “Yeah” - replied Aki, and then imitated Haruko's soft shy voice - “Like Rukawa-kun…” “Hey!” - Haruko said and punched Aki's shoulder softly.
 
Everyone at the party noticed that the two girls were being extremely friendly with each other; the two of them knew that too. “I don't know why I was hostile to you before” - Haruko giggled, while they sat and drank the cokes that Mitsui and Akagi had returned with. Akiko just smiled back. When she spotted Mitsui walking near them, she whispered to Haruko - “Hey Haruko, I also have a crush on a Shohoku team member.” “You do?” - Exclaimed Haruko excitedly - “Tell me who.” Aki pursed her lips together with a tiny little smile peeking out, and then said - “Mitsui Hisashi.” “Him?!” - Squealed Haruko - “yeah, he's cool.” Aki nodded, but corrected her new friend with a set of vocabs - “Cute, cheeky, mischievous, handsome, tall, and hot!” “Okay” - Haruko giggled, and continued - “I haven't even thought about Rukawa-kun like that.” “You mean I beat you to it?” - Aki teased - “When I've only seen Mitsui sempai for two days? And you've seen onii-chan for nearly a year?” She stared ahead, playing with the pipe stuck in her coke can. She saw her brother walking towards them, and Aki jabbed an elbow at her friend's waist. The other girl turned around and saw what Aki wanted to show her.