Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ The Pass ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any characters from SlamDunk…

Chapter 4

The bell rang indicating the last class of the day. Yuna quickly chucked her stuff into her briefcase. It was the day of her match with her first challenger since the day she came home from China. Haruko came up to her as she packed hurriedly.

"Are you coming to the basketball practice again?" She asked.

"Iya, I'm busy today." Yuna said clasping her briefcase shut. "Ja Haruko-chan!"

Yuna dashed out the class without waiting for Haruko to answer. Yuna dashed passed Group 10 class just as Rukawa walked out his class. He turned to the direction where Yuna had zoomed passed.

What's the hurry? He thought to himself watching her running down the corridor and disappeared around the corner. Without much thought about it he made his way to the changing room to get ready for practice, attracting some girls on the way there.

Practice was tough that day because; they will be having a practice match with Ryonan High very soon, the basketball team that had won fourth place last year. Akagi was very strict with them and after practice Rukawa was already quite tired. He wasn't very please when he remembered he had dinner to attend to with the Tendoshi. He took a quick shower change and left the building, getting his bike he cycled out the school.

His grandfather waited for him impatiently when he reached home. Rukawa dozing on the bike was still dozing when he walked up to his room to change out of his uniform.

"Rukawa!" His grandfather shouted from downstairs. "Will you hurry up?"

Rukawa appeared from his room again, coming down the stairs undisturbed. His eyes were barely opened when they made their way to the Tendoshi Resident.

At the meantime, Yuna had just finished the match with her first challenger and she had won. Gotten a few bruises and scratches herself, Sota helped her to disinfect her injuries in the dining hall.

"Itai!" Yuna cried. "Careful Sota, that hurts!"

"I'm very careful already!" Sota challenged. "You are lucky we won."

"Lucky?" Yuna flared. "That was skills."

"Anyone home?" They heard Kaede Ojiisan's voice at the porch.

"Hai!" Kasumi said then bustling out the kitchen to greet them. "Please come in."

"Thanks for inviting us to dinner again." Kaede ojiisan said.

"You are welcome." Kasumi said guiding them to the dining hall.

Rukawa who still had his eyes half close followed suit, he was jerked fully awake when he heard Yuna shouted.

"Itai!!!! Sota!!!"

"Gomen!" Sota said rather afraid.

Rukawa and his grandfather entered the dining area to see, Yuna snatching the ointment from Sota angrily. She was covered in scratches and bruises, still in her judo uniform.

"I will do it myself." She said irately.

"Ah, I heard you had a challenge here today." Kaede ojiisan said when he saw Yuna in such state. "Did you win?"

"Of course she did." Yuna's grandfather entered the dining area then. "If not we loose our Judo Hall."

"I told you ojiisan I will never lose." Yuna said indignantly and stood up. "No matter what, I will never ever lose."

Yuna turned away from them and took a step forward but stopped immediately, she shut her eyes tight, wincing. She totally forgot she had sprained her ankle during the match. Cursing inwardly, she clutched her hands into fists. She was very angry at herself for being so careless.

"Yuna neechan!" Sota exclaimed. "Dai je bu? That guy, when he tripped you…"

"Shut up!" Yuna snapped. "I'm fine!"

Not wanting anyone to know that her ankle actually hurts she tried her best to walk out the dining area normally. Just as she was about to leave Kasumi came in carrying their dinner.

"Ah, Yuna dinner is ready." She said as Yuna walked out. "Where are you going?"

"Out." Yuna said shortly. "Go ahead and have dinner without me."

"Ah reh!" Kasumi said. "After I had cooked her favourite dishes."

"Never mind her." Tendoshi Ojiisan said. "We will leave some dinner for her. We shall eat first."

Rukawa observed Yuna as she walked down the corridor to the front door; she slipped on her sneakers slowly and walked out. Without much thought about it, he joined the rest for dinner.

Yuna walked down the quiet neighbourhood. The street lambs had switched on giving her dim light as she walked down the side walk. Yuna turned around the corner heading for the park she so often visits when she was around. She walked into the very dimly lit park; there was a pair of swings which were so familiar to her.

Somehow things never change she thought to herself as she sat on one of them. After a few minutes passed she swing to and fro softly looking down the ground.

Flash back…

It was one evening almost four years back, when she and her brother were in this park sitting on the pair of swings.

"Oniisan!" Yuna said. "Why have you got to go China?"

"I have to train myself to be the best of course." Yuki replied giving her a charming smile. "One day Tendoshi Judo Training Hall will be mine and I will have a big responsibility to take care of it. It is our home. No matter what I cannot lose it. This training in China is to prepare me for challenges that await me in the future."

"I'm going to miss you so much." Yuna said sadly, tears appearing in her eyes.

"Now don't cry." Yuki said putting his hand around her shoulders. "You have to be brave now and strong. Promise me something."

"Anything." Yuna said wiping the tears away from her eyes quickly looking up her brother bravely.

"Promise me never to lose Tendoshi Judo Training Hall while I'm away and I promise you I will returned to Kanagawa and take care of you and our home. Remember this hall is our home."

"Hai!" Yuna smiled. "I promised."

End of flashback.

"And so I trained myself in combat every single day." She said to herself softly.

She looked around the small park that never changed. The same slide was still there, the sea-saw looks just the same. The monkey bars were still there. Even the same trees and bushes still looked the same to Yuna. She smiled softly then.

Something never changed somehow, she thought herself and chuckled softly. I never changed either.

This was the park Yuna always come after she finished a fight. She always sat on this same swing and think about her brother. The promise that her brother made, kept her going no better what. Even how difficult life was for her, she went on struggling with it. This promise was her hope her confidents. She sighed and looked up the dark starless sky.

I wonder if you are alright Oniisan, Yuna thought. I really wish you are here with me.

It took Yuna sometime at the park, and everyone at home had finished dinner. Kasumi was pouring tea for everyone then. Tendoshi Ojiisan was pretty angry that Yuna went out on them like that. He tapped his fingers on the table impatiently.

"Oh soai ar!" He said. "How can she just leave like that when we have guests?"

"She never changed did she?" Kasumi said smiling mildly. "She always goes out after a match."

"Now you mentioned it, you are right." Tendoshi ojiisan said thinking hard. "I wonder where does she go all the time?"

"Here Rukawa-kun." Kasumi said pouring some tea for him.

"Arigatou." Rukawa said emotionlessly.

"Yuna is so strong." Sota said waving his hand absent mindedly. "She will be fine. You should see her this evening; she can still jump up to her feet after she hurt her leg!"

"Yuna injured her leg!" Kasumi said worriedly. "Will she alright going out alone like that?"

"Hmmm," Sota said thinking hard now. "Come to think about it now, she might have broken her ankle or something."

"Oh my," Kasumi place a hand on her cheeks, looking even more worried now. "I think we should go look for her!"

Just as she said that they heard Yuna's voice at the front porch. "Oh kai dee!"

"Yuna!" Kasumi exclaimed getting up to her feet as Yuna walked into the dining area looking slightly bewildered at all the worried faces. Except for Rukawa, who took a sip of his tea unperturbed.

"Hai?" Yuna asked looking at her.

"Dai je bu?" Kasumi said anxiously. "Sota said you broke your ankle!"

"Eh?" Yuna's eyebrows shot up her forehead. "Broke my ankle?"

"Yes, Sota said you broke your ankle!"

Narrowing her eyes, Yuna turned towards Sota who was gulping down his tea quickly.

"Broke my ankle, eh, Sota?" Yuna said menacingly. "Do I look like a baka to let anyone break my ankle?"

"Ah, hahahhaha!" Sota laughed uneasily. "Jo dan, jo dan!"

"Sota next time don't scare us like this." Tendoshi Ojiisan said angrily.

"Sometimes, Sota it is so much better if you keep your mouth shut!" Yuna said her voice quivering with anger. She then pushed her sleeves up threatening Sota with her fists. "I'll will…"

"Eeeks!" Sota quickly moved towards Tendoshi Ojiisan and hide behind his back.

"Yuna, dinner is left for you in the kitchen." Kasumi said calmly. "I'm so glad you are alright."

"Arigatou." Yuna said lowering her fists at Sota.

She made her way to the kitchen then. There was a small western dining table in the kitchen usually used when there wasn't any guest. Feeling much better to eat alone Yuna sat down. Feeling slightly annoyed that Sota told everyone she hurt her ankle. While she was eating Rukawa walked into the kitchen then. Yuna looked up and immediately she scowled when she saw him. Rukawa undisturbed by her glare just ignored her.

"What do you want?" Yuna snapped.

"Cold drink." He said shortly opening the refrigerator and took out a can of soda.

Yuna continued eating her dinner then and ignored him. Rukawa holding the can in his right hand, opened the can with only a finger and looked over at Yuna silently, the other hand in his pocket.

"Was that why you were in a hurry?" Rukawa asked after several minutes of silent passed.

"Isn't it obvious?" Yuna said flatly without looking up.

"Just asking." He replied shortly and took a sip of the drink.

"Why do you care anyway?" Yuna said infuriated looking up at his cold blue eyes.

"I didn't say I did." Rukawa retorted.

They both glared at each before Rukawa walked out the kitchen. It was so unlike him to start a conversation but, Yuna was so different from other girls which made him converse to her easily. However, she seemed to have grudge on him after what happened on their first meeting.

It wasn't even my fault. Rukawa thought angrily. She was the one walking in on me in the bathroom. Moreover she hit me. Yuna that tomboy!

Yuna watched Rukawa walked out, heatedly. Rukawa, baka! She thought to herself. Can't he at least say he was sorry the last time?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So how far is the story, please review… and thank you for reading…