Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ Dinner in Peace ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6

It was late in the evening while Yuna was doing her homework in her room. She had neglected some of her school work this week and was left behind. She was reading through her notes she had written in class when Kasumi called her from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yuna, there is someone on the phone for you!"

"Coming!" Yuna replied getting up from her desk. She left her room and ran down the stairs to get to the phone which was place someone between the stairs and the laundry room which was also the bathroom. She picked up the receiver then.

"Moshi, moshi, Yuna speaking here." She said. "Ah? Haruko chan? Nani?"

Yuna listened to Haruko quietly her eyes widened with surprised. After their conversation she placed the receiver back to its cradle slowly. She was still stunned by the news Haruko had told her. After that she walked into the kitchen to look for Kasumi, she was preparing dinner for the family like usual.

"Kasumi neechan," Yuna said wonderingly. "Is Ojiisan around?"

"Ojiisan is out with Kaede Ojiisan today," Kasumi said without looking at Yuna as she cooked at the stove. "They went down to Nagoya this morning and will be back tomorrow morning. Is something a matter?"

"Iya," Yuna said leaving the kitchen then.

She went back to her room again to revise on her notes but her thoughts were interrupted by what Haruko told her on the phone. She stared down her notebook blankly. As Haruko' voice echoed in her head.

`There was trouble at the basketball practice today. Rukawa-kun was badly hurt. I really hope he is alright.'

"Moh!" Yuna shook her head. "I can't concentrate!"

Yuna slammed her book shut and got up again. Maybe a little work out will clear her mind. She then changed into her judo uniform and went back downstairs again.

*************************************************************** *********

Rukawa went straight home after the fight they had in the basketball court. Nobody practice that day for most of the players were injured. His head hurt so badly, he couldn't even cycle straight. When he reached home, nobody was around. His parents were still away in a business trip in Tokyo and his grandfather told him that he will be going to Nagoya with Tendoshi Ojiisan this morning.

He went into the isolated house, he swing the door shut as he walked into the living room. Not caring whether he had shut the front door properly he sank down on the sofa. His head hurt too much to bother about anything else. As soon he lay down he fell asleep.

*************************************************************** *********

"HAIYAK!" Yuna yelled as she jumped and give her workout wooden pole a side -kick. Then she punched it several times before she stood on the spot breathing heavily. She was outside next to the judo hall where there was a yard for her to work out too. She could see that the sun already setting as the sky was turning dark.

I wonder if Rukawa is all right. She still wondered.

She remembered that, Rukawa's parents weren't around and now Kaede Ojiisan had also gone to Nagoya this morning with her ojiisan. This means he would be left at home alone. She sighed and sat down on the ground. Haruko told her that the wound he had on his head was pretty bad. Slowly she got up again and headed into the house. She went straight into the laundry room and got herself out of her uniform. While in the shower she was still thinking about Rukawa.

"Yosh!" She said making up her mind and shutting the tap.

She quickly changed, looked for the First Aid box in one of the cupboards in the laundry room and ran out.

"I'll be home later tonight!" Yuna cried. "EE KI TI MAS!"

"Ah reh?" Kasumi poked her head out of the kitchen. "Where are you going?"

Yuna had already disappeared out the front gate. Kasumi shook her head slowly, sighed and went into the kitchen again. Yuna ran all the way to Rukawa's house. She remembered Ojiisan had told her before where he stayed. It wasn't very far from their house actually. She stood outside the front gate wondering whether she should go in. After a minute of pondering she went inside. She rang the door bell, but no one answer. She waited for another minutes before she started knocking on the door. As soon as her hand touched the door, it slipped opened.

"Ah reh?" Yuna said softly to herself. "Doesn't he practice safety precautions?"

Slowly Yuna pushed the door opened a little wider and poked her head in. The whole house was in darkness and it was extremely quiet like nobody was at home. She looked around. The house was furnished in modern furniture so unlike her house where mostly everything downstairs was in Japanese fashion, except for their rooms upstairs.

"Anyone home?" Yuna whispered as she looked around. Nobody answered. She frowned. "Don't tell me he is still practicing even though he is hurt?"

When Yuna was about to turn away she saw something or someone moved at the living room on the sofa. That sudden movement nearly made her jump out of her skin. She blinked, her arms reached around the wall next to the door hoping that the switch would be there. Her hands moved quickly to look for a switch. When she found it, she switched on, not knowing whether if it was the light for the living room or not. As soon as, the light flickered on in the house, Yuna sighed with relieve and looked over at the sofa again.

"Rukawa," Yuna whispered and entered the house. She shut the door properly then and went to him.

She looked down at this slumbering figure and understood what Haruko said. The gash behind his head looked pretty bad. Even though it had stopped bleeding but the blood clogged around his head told her that he had lost a lot of blood. He didn't even bother to disinfect or dressed his wound. Shaking her head she knelt down next to him by the sofa. She placed the First Aid box down gently and opened it taking out the medicine she needed.

Yuna then looked up at him again, at that moment Rukawa turned facing his back on her. She smiled, at the prefect timing too, for the wound was at the back near the top of his head. Gently, so that she wouldn't wake him, she started disinfecting his wound. After she had put the medicine, she gently wrapped his head with the bandage. She smiled to herself after she finished everything. At that moment Rukawa turned back towards her. Yuna stared at his slumbering face then, their faces were so close together that they were almost touching.

Yuna gasped and fell back, surprised at what had happened. She blushed then, still looking at Rukawa unable to move. She was glad he was sleeping or it would be so embarrassing. Watching him asleep, the thought of him looking rather cute slipped into her mind. She blushed even harder then shaking the thought away.

Jo dan je nai! She thought to herself angrily. She couldn't believe she could think about something like that. She quickly packed her things and got up then; as she was thinking of going home when something else hit her mind. Rukawa didn't have dinner tonight. She looked back down at Rukawa's slumbering figure and then sighed.

"I guess I'll cook something simple." Yuna said softly and went to look for the kitchen. "Let's see what he has in the kitchen."

She wasn't afraid of cooking. She had done that many times when she was in China, cooking was no problem to her. Taking care of herself was very important when she was there and she had learned so many house works in those three years.

Rukawa finally stirred and he slowly opened his eyes after a long nap. He groaned softly to himself and touched his head. To his surprised his wound was dressed and someone had switched on the lights. His grandfather told him that he won't be back till tomorrow. He quickly sat up and saw a First Aid box next to the sofa, he looked around the house, and then he heard some noises in the kitchen. Besides that there was a nice smell coming out from that direction as well, bewildered he walked over slowly. He stopped at the framed of the door when he saw Yuna inside preparing dinner. Her back was on him so she didn't see him coming in.

"Yes," She said to herself happily after the final dish was cooked. She lifted both her arms up in the air and stretched. "Finally! Didn't cook for only a few months, and I have backache after this."

She bent to her right then left and put her hand down, after that she turned around and gasped when she saw Rukawa standing at the frame of the door. Rukawa watched her with slight amazement in his eyes.

"Rukawa!" Yuna cried. "I didn't know you're awake."

Rukawa remained silent, this time he was more of being speechless. He didn't know that Yuna could be nice when she want to be. However, Yuna was hoping that he wouldn't wake until she goes home, she stared at him feeling uncomfortable.

"I'm glad you are alright." Yuna finally said though uncomfortably after a few moments of silence passed. "Well, Haruko chan called to tell me that you got hurt during practice today so… er… I came to see if you are alright."

Rukawa still didn't know what to say, just stared at Yuna.

Slowly Yuna smiled softly and shrugged. "Seeing you are alright," She said walking towards the door and stopped in front of him. "I think I should be going home."

Rukawa didn't make any move to let her through the door, Yuna stared up at him puzzled. Rukawa watched Yuna's confused face and sighed inwardly.

"Aren't you hungry?" He asked finally speaking.

"A little." Yuna said.

"Stay for dinner then." He said walking into the kitchen. "What are we having?"

"Chinese…" Yuna mumbled raising her brows, she watched him even more confused now. Ah reh? He is nice for a change today, she thought silently. Or maybe the bump on his head is worst than I thought?

After dinner, Yuna helped Rukawa cleaned the dishes, he was washing and she was drying them. They were pretty quiet during the time at dinner and Yuna was becoming even more uncomfortable now. They never stay longer than a few minutes without biting each other's heads off but tonight were so different. They practically stayed through the whole dinner without shooting remarks at each other. Yuna stole glances at him, he still looked the same to her. The cold and unemotional look he always wore. Yuna looked down at the plate she was holding again.

"You cook well," Rukawa said suddenly.

Yuna nearly dropped the plate she was holding then. She turned to look at him astounded. Rukawa was sure in a weird mood today.

"Nani?" Rukawa asked shortly.

"Are you feeling alright?" Yuna asked putting the dishes away. "I mean the bump on your head… I hope…"

Rukawa frowned then, "What does that mean?"

"Nothing," Yuna muttered turning away from him. "It was just that… you never say things like that to me before."

"It was a compliment." Rukawa said slightly infuriated. "If you don't like it, I won't compliment you again. You are sure a tomboy."

"Ah soh." Yuna turned to him angrily. "See if I care if you don't. Besides why do you care anyway if I am a tomboy?"

"I didn't say I care."

"Right!" Yuna snapped. "This is want I get when I come here to help you."

"I don't need your help." Rukawa said indifferently.

"FINE!" Yuna yelled turning away and stormed out the kitchen.

What's her problem? Rukawa thought feeling annoyed.

She ran into the living room, got the First Aid Box and ran out the house slamming the door shut behind her loudly. She ran all the way home then still feeling so infuriated by Rukawa.

"Rukawa no baka!" She cried.