Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ When Cupid Shot His Arrow at the Wrong Person ❯ Part 1: I Hate Fruit Loops ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author: Simply Kim

E-Mail: cheng1812@yahoo.com

Title: When Cupid Shot His Arrow at the Wrong Person

Genre/ratings: Romance

Length: 1/3

Disclaimers: The series I'm referring to obviously do not belong to me, only the story does.

* * * * * * * *

PART 1: I Hate Fruit Loops

* * * * * * * *

Very irritating.

I couldn't quite understand why people should celebrate something so... cheesy.

Valentine's Day... Ch'!

I must have been looking too crabby as I trudged wearily towards my locker... people are starting to stare at me as if I'm some sort of a loser.

Great...

Sighing, I opened the metal door, and peering inside the purely academic jungle. I hate rummaging around my locker for books... I always end up with much more... Like the cockroach that made a house of my extra pair of running shoes... and the cacophony of ants that had managed to mistake my jogging pants as a fucking anthill.

No, it's not that I'm a dirty type of guy complete with stinking socks and all... it's just that, I'm tired of having to ALWAYS clean up after every mess I never made in the first place...

No, I'm not lying.

YES, it IS my locker, and YES, it should be containing things I own...

But that's exactly it!

My things SHOULD be the ones stacked up in there... but nooooo... someone, particularly a being who resembled a porcupine in so many ways, decided that his locker was too messy and camped all his books and JUNK FOOD into MY locker!

I am starting to feel nauseated again...

I'm currently feeling around for my Chemistry notebook and the sensation of something cold and gooey was beginning to baptize the tips of my fingers.

What is it now?

Carefully, so as not to smear the gluey glob on my poor books, I drew back my hand, intent on finding out whatever it was which made the blood run cold inside my body.

I stared.

And blinked.

And blinked again.

Fruit Loops... with a couple of black bugs stuck on it.

Fucking Fruit Loops.

I hate Fruit Loops.

I don't eat them... they're disgusting...

I heard enthusiastic cheers as someone, obviously popular, made his way towards my direction.

"Whoo-hoo! Hey there, birthday boy!"

"Good luck with the training, Sendoh-kun!"

"Nice work yesterday captain!"

I felt a vein pop under the skin of my forehead.

Birthday Boy Sendoh Akira.

A hard whack between my shoulder blades did nothing to alleviate the vexed mood I was currently experiencing... it actually added more... and I could feel my insides churning like molten magma trying to push out of my system...

"Oi, sorry for being late!" Akira said happily, his lips stretched to a wide and innocent grin, his perfect teeth gleaming under the fluorescent lights of the hallway.

I wanted to punch him, just to make him stop smiling.

I'm having a bad day.

He should be having one too... birthday or not.

"I need to get my workbook... have you seen it, ne, buddy?"

I gritted my teeth. "No, I haven't seen it."

"How about my Parker pen? Seen it anywhere? I think I lost it yesterday before practice..." His features turned thoughtful, and as sudden as the cloud hung over him, it went away, leaving him looking at me happily and smiling his infuriating trademark grin. "I thought maybe you've seen it too!"

I slitted my eyes, glaring at him the best I can...

I can tell that I'm doing a delightfully great job, since the grin immediately disappeared and he took a step back.

"Uh... something wrong? You... you look... scary..." He stammered, taking another fearful step back.

I started menacingly towards him.

"What were you eating yesterday... after lunch?" I asked him, my voice calmer than I looked.

"Umm... Fruit Loops?" Akira said, still backing away.

"And what did you do with the leftovers?" I asked, a saccharine smile on my face.

"I... uh... I..." He scratched his head, smiling apologetically. "I placed it in - your locker...?"

"Yeeeeesh..." I hissed, the smile still intact, and the venom in my voice evident. "Do you take it out after class dismissal?"

"Uh..." He stalled, scratching the back of his spiky head, offering a guilty smile in place of the former apologetic grin. "No...?"

"Do you know what happened to them?"

"No..."

"They melted down..." I glared at him angrily, thrusting the fingers with the greenish glob towards him. "Like this..."

Akira gulped and nodded tensely.

"And now, MY locker is FULL of minute BUGS!" I screamed, my control snapping. The molten feeling inside me was out in the open now... and whenever that happens, I go out of control...

I usually feel bad about it... my temper is a short one... and I almost pity those who came face to face with it before...

But now...

Now...

It's a different story.

Gripping a huge random hardbound book I got from my locker, I glared at him, my feet starting towards him in their own accord...

Soon, We were both running... He away from me, screaming like a banshee, and I waving the book above my head threateningly as I snapped at his heels.

"Help! I don't wanna be killed!" he shrieked, dodging the oncoming battalion of soldier-like students from their PE classes.

"AKIRA! COME BACK HERE!"

"IYA! STOP, HIRO-KUN! YAMETE!"

"DIE!!!"

* * *

"I'm really sorry, Hiro... I promise not to do it again..."

I almost broke my resolve as he gazed at me with puppy-dog eyes that made him look like an adorable kid. But I should know better...

"You're going to do it again... I just know it." I sighed, shaking my head as we sat on the steps outside the Ryonan Gymnasium.

There were three huge lumps on his head, and his spikes were ruined.

I finally caught up with him outside the gym; I never realized that I could actually run that fast... and that long too. I guess anger is a good fuel for racing on foot.

Hmm. maybe I should stay pissed off with my best friend forever...

I would do wonders for me if I would!

But...

I wouldn't.

I mean, come on, I'm not that cruel... he's like a brother to me...

We grew up together, went through The-Girls-Are-Icky phase together (though I'm having an inkling that he's not through with that phase yet... ^^;;;) ... we played basketball together... heck - we do everything together! (No, we don't SLEEP together... HENTAI!)

"Ne, Hiro-kun..."

There was a sad quality in that voice.

"Nani?" I asked, all curiosity.

"Do you think Kaede likes me?"

I couldn't help smiling a bit.

It was always Kaede this and Kaede that with Akira... and apparently, still is.

Ah... love...

The desperation in his voice nudged me to think of how I would respond... If only there's a way to...

Suddenly, a light bulb clicked above my head.

I had a GREAT IDEA!

"Uh, honestly," I began, putting on a serious face. "I don't think he likes you."

Akira's features contorted into a pathetically hopeless suitor. I almost rubbed my hands in glee as I drank in his suffering form. Revenge... at last!

"Why not, Hiro-kun... am I not that likeable?" he sniffled. I quelched the urge to roll my eyes in annoyance. God, this guy could be so melodramatic sometimes! Instead, I patted him consolingly at the back.

"There, there." I said in mock sympathy. "It's not that... You're a great guy... but, well, let's just say, I think he sees you as something who cant measure up to his high standards..."

"Eh? He was the one who wanted to beat me in basketball! How could I have not measured up to his standards?"

Crap.

The wheels inside my head turned quickly, searching for something to say that would enhance and not destroy my perfect plan... My mind conjured up the image of the melted Fruit Loops. I winced inwardly, trying hard not to shiver in disgust.

"But that's basketball." I pointed out. "It is both your personal lives that we're talking about here. You don't expect to play basketball day in and day out, do you?"

He seemed to be thinking hard about it.

And while he was lost in his own reverie, I broke out in cold sweat. I prayed to whoever God was currently in duty that everything would go according to my preferences...

Please... Kami-sama... I've been a good boy for these past few months... grant m my wish... Onegai?

"I guess..." Akira finally admitted, slumping in defeat. "What am I going to do then?"

The minute I heard the words pour forth from his usually overly cheery mouth, I wanted to jump up and down and whirl myself around! However, I would look like a total lunatic if I did... Sheesh...

"Clean up after yourself... that would be the first step." I said a matter-of-factly. "Any person would love being with a tidy partner!"

"But..."

"No buts!" I said, waggling a warning finger at him. Oooh, this was sooo easy! I snickered inwardly. Akira was buying it!

Finally, he nodded, a smile dawning on his boyish features.

"How would I do that?" He asked, enthusiasm definite in his voice.

"Okay, here goes... first you clean up your locker..."

"My locker?" His tone was obviously confused, but I quickly assured him with an encouraging smile.

I deserve an Oscar for this... Hmm, not a bad idea... maybe I should audition for a local television show and work my way up the show business ladder...

"Yes, your locker!" I confirmed cheerfully. "A person should start with minute details first before moving to the big ones!"

Akira nodded in understanding. "Oh," He smiled, his eyes turning glassy. "I see... I will start with my locker and then work up to polishing my house, then, my social manners... hmm... Sugoi, Hiro-kun!" He clapped like a little kid.

"Uh-huh!" I nodded empathically.

"You have to arrange your books and then take out all your trash... uh... THINGS in my... locker too... Clean my locker too while you're at it..."

* * *

"Are you coming to my party later?" Akira asked me as I inspected his job in cleaning my locker. He had cleared his things out, making me fully aware that THREE-FOURTHS of the mess inside my locker were HIS.

And the melted Fruit Loops were infested with millions of black bugs, which looked like a whole swarm of fruit flies in their nesting season.

I shuddered in revulsion.

Good thing it wasn't that much infected this morning... or else the Porcelain God in the men's room would never hear the end of my prayers!

"Hiro-kun? Are you alright?"

I snapped out of my disgusted thoughts and focused on my best friend. "Huh? What were you saying?"

He snickered. "You've been gone for along while... I wonder where your little mind had been...? To your former lady love, maybe?"

I glared at him. "NO!"

I will NEVER look at that girl EVER AGAIN... much less, THINK about her! YECH!

Hmp! She scared the hell out of me when she pushed me inside her rented apartment after I walked her home... She MAULED me for goodness' sake! I winced, remembering the way those talon-like fingernails scratched the skin of my torso, which she had uncovered as she tried slipping my shirt up and over my head.

I had never met someone as sexually active as she is around our age!

And I thought she's so shy and sweet...

Sighing inwardly, I intensified my glare.

"I. WAS. NOT. THINKING. ABOUT. HER." I punctuated through gritted teeth.

Akira raised both his hands in surrender, as his eyes glittered teasingly. "Yeah, yeah, I believe you... no need to get so worked up..."

I huffed, shaking a fist at him before I turned away and stared at the courtyard though the heavy glass windows. "Finish that quickly, it's nearly seven in the evening."

"I'm finishing up..." He said cheerfully, oblivious to the black mood hanging over me. "Right about..." He took a last swipe and pumped his fist with a shimmering flourish. "NOW!"

I quickly turned my gaze at him. Hn. The baka seemed like a child at times... I couldn't help smiling a bit as he danced towards the washroom nearby, swing his half-filled water bucket slightly as he stepped rhythmically.

Somehow, he hoped that if his best friend finally proposed, he would be accepted. He would hate seeing that bundle of energy lose its sparkle. He shook his head.

"So, Hiro-kun!" Akira called out, his voice echoing in the empty hallway. "You're coming to my party later at nine?"

"Ah, of course I am!" I smiled. How could I ever miss it? The Sendoh family brings so much warmth to me... like I'm part of them... I want to be with them all the time if I could!

Not like...

I shook my head as sadness began to creep inside me again.

"I'm coming... I always do, right?"

Akira came out, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "I know." HE grinned, as if reassuring me that I would forever be a part of his family. "And I invited many people too!" He gushed as he closed the slightly damp lockers with a loud bang. Twisting the knobs to scramble the numbers of the locks, he picked up his duffel bag and ushered me out in haste.

"Hayaku, hayaku! Or else I'm gonna be late for my own party!"

I let myself be pushed out.

As soon as we were outside, I breathed in the fresh night air.

Akira seemed to have invited Rukawa over... He laughed inwardly, stealing a glance at his friend who had turned from pushing him out to dragging him with those powerful hands.

Ah... Love...

I wonder where and when will I experience that feeling...

I do hope it would be soon...

I want to know how it would feel too.

* * *

It took me an hour and a half to finally shower and change into decent-looking clothes. A pair of pure black denims that was loose around my legs, and a tight-ish shirt of wine red. And, due to the lack of CLEAN and COMFORTABLE foot wear that Akira would be willing to lend me, I settled on the new pair of black and red signature basketball shoes I always leave in his house for emergency purposes (since he lives closer to Ryonan than me).

"Ah, you look a bit bland..." Akira announced as he looked at me up and down. "You look like you're going to the mall, not a party! Here, catch!" He tossed me something black and gothic... make that MANY things black, dark and gothic... I peered at the weird stuff.

"What am I going to do with these?" I asked, confused as to what they were for.

"Slip the clunky ones on your wrist opposite your leather watch... and the black twist choker, fasten it around your blessed neck! Duh, Hiro... are you a kid from this age or not? Don't tell me you do not know what those are for?" He laughed.

I stuck out my tongue at him.

Soon, we're out and into the middle of the raging party. Akira's parents were grinning, and everything was dandy.

However, I'm currently having a difficult time.

These types of informal parties are not my thing... I prefer peace and quiet to this... but I should enjoy this. That's just like Akira and me, we give and take. I force him to keep me company in the library and music room, and he forces me to go with him to raves and dances.

I shook my head lightly in amusement as I spied my best friend dancing in the middle of the living room with... Ehehe... Rukawa.

Rukawa actually showed up! Amazing!

But... I think he's had enough of Akira's weirdness... heh, if that baka knows what's good for him, he'd better take a rest and pull the boy into an intelligent conversation, or else, he'll be having hell as his payment... from the looks of Rukawa's frown...

I shook my head again.

He'd better not mess up his chance...

Actually, the cleaning up thing was just my idea to make him clean up his mess inside his locker and out... and a good way to settle the mess from mine without me doing the work... Rukawa doesn't have anything to do with it.

I smirked, looking down at the glass of punch in my hand, swirling the pink liquid around. I started towards the punchbowl, intending to refill my almost drained glass when...

CRASH!

I was bowled over by another frantic body in a hurry to get more to drink.

I straightened up, steadying the smaller frame squished in front of me when we collided. I looked down, feeling wetness spreading out and soaking my shirt thoroughly.

Oh no! My poor shirt!

Then, my eyes traveled to the perpetrator.

I was ready to give whoever it was a good piece of my mind when I encountered the apologetic, guilty, sheepish smile, and pleading eyes.

The face, was delicate-looking, framed with curly hair... and seemingly familiar...

I peered closer, making her more nervous than she already was.

"Gomen nasai.... umm... I... I... It was an accident..."

That voice...

I recognize that voice...

"Oi, baka! What did you do to Aya-chan?" came another very angry and very familiar voice.

Of course... how could I have forgotten?

Ayako-san.

* * * * * * * *

TBC

* * * * * * * *

A/N: Decided to take a little break from yaoi... well, okay, so there's definitely yaoi here, but they're only at the sides... the main couple's very straight! I hope you'll enjoy this one! It would only reach up to maybe two or three parts!