Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ When Cupid Shot His Arrow at the Wrong Person ❯ I'm Trying To Love Fruit Loops and Fruity Pink Punch... But I Will Never Like Curly-Haired Point Gua ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author: Simply Kim

E-Mail: cheng1812@yahoo.com

Title: When Cupid Shot His Arrow at the Wrong Person

Genre/ratings: Romance

Length: 3/3

Disclaimers: The series I'm referring to obviously do not belong to me, only the story does.

* * * * * * * *

PART 3: I'm Trying to Love Both Fruit Loops and Fruity Pink Punch... But I Will Never Like Curly-haired Point Guards

* * * * * * * *

:KOSHINO:

"Koshino-san..."

I was jolted out of my thoughts as I heard a worried voice somewhere near me. I instinctively looked up and smiled as I saw the youngest in the team, the one and only Aida Hikoichi.

"Ah, Hikoichi... is there something you wanted to ask?"

"Uh... I was... um... It has been two weeks now... and still... you and Sendoh-san doesn't seem to be in good terms..."

I looked away, focusing on the tall windows that lined the Ryonan gymnasium. "Don't worry about us Hikoichi... everything's fine."

"But..."

I turned and gave him my meanest glare. Honestly, does this guy have no life whatsoever that he insists on butting into others'? "I SAID everything's FINE." I said through gritted teeth. "Now go and warm yourself up, resting period would soon be over." With that, I put my water bottle down on the first bleacher step and raced towards the small group in the middle of the basketball court. I was about to successfully get over my guilt for treating Hikoichi so harshly and bond with the few who gathered so determinedly when -

OOF!

I banged against a brick wall.

Well... at least, something like a brick wall.

I looked up at the looming figure and... I felt my eyes involuntarily narrow.

SENDOH AKIRA.

Great.

He was looking down at me as if I sprouted a new head at the moment... and to say that I'm not feeling a bit flustered would be considered a lie... after all, I suddenly bumped into him after not talking for what felt like years.

Well, actually, it was just a couple of weeks - exactly like what Hikoichi said a while ago... but... heh, never mind.

His surprise immediately turned into something I couldn't quite name. Was it embarrassment? Was it pain? Was it... an apology? The thought that I did not know what to call his expressions anymore seemed a catalyst the nagging voice in my mind that says I don't know him anymore. I actually prided myself to know everything about my be - former best friend... and now... now I'm at a loss.

A loss that I'm not able to deal with right now.

I hate this, I really do.

Shaking my head inwardly, I ran forward, hearing the tired voice of Sendoh behind me...

Calling me to him.

Of course I wouldn't listen...

Why should I?

* * *

The shower after basketball practice is the most refreshing thing that I'm always looking forward to every single school day. It makes me feel so new, so clean...

AHHHH.

This is life.

This is the time when I usually forget every single fucking problem I clutch in my very tired fists... my only moment of relaxation... the only time I have to myself.

And I'm really very irritated when it's cut short by some minor disturbance I need to take care of.

Like right now.

WHACK!

Somebody's banging on the blessed door of my cubicle. Maybe I'm taking too long again. Sighing, I turned off the nozzle of the showerhead and switched the mechanical bathing gadget off. After drying myself as fast as I can, I wrapped my spare towel around my hips and opened the nearly dilapidated door. Heh, Ryonan should buy new doors for the shower rooms... these ones are too old!

Gripping the knob with much annoyance, I swung it open... and gaped. Yeah, yeah, I know I probably look like an alien gazing at an earthling for the first time, but, heck, I can't help it! I mean, how many times does one ever come face to face with a person who resembles death so much with sunken cheeks and very, VERY exhausted eyes?

"Hiro... we need to talk." Sendoh breathed out in obvious frustration.

I slowly regained my composure, and soon, I'm like the way I was before my bath.

A frown on my face, of course... one cannot ever forget about that.

"We don't need to talk about anything." I muttered, annoyance shooting up my nerves. "We talked before, and now we're finished, so what's there to talk about?"

Sendoh sighed, running a hand through his non-gelled hair. "Stop being so difficult, Hiro..." He shook his head tiredly, the corners of his mouth turning up in a weak show of amusement. "You're being the eight year old you were back then..."

I frowned. "No I'm not. The only reason why I was so pissed off with you back then was because you wrecked my beloved bicycle!" I clutched the edge of the towel around my waist as I felt it droop. "You're way off point anyway." Snapping at him, I turned and shoved the door closed. I would have succeeded if the idiot's foot was not blocking the way.

Baka Akira.

"Itai!" He crowed, as he grimaced, his sandaled foot crimping from the pressure of my shove. "Ite, Hiro... quit it! Please, you're hurting me! ITAI!"

Snorting in distaste... and actually, a bit of evil amusement too, I relented, opening the door wide. Suddenly, strong arms clung to my wet shoulders... and only then did I realize that Akira lost his balance as he tried to grasp his aching foot. With extreme horror, I cried out, feeling my stability slip. I reached out and caught hold of the shower knob... that was slippery after my shower.

"KYAAAA!" I screamed, trying to grab anything that could break my fall... unfortunately, nothing strong enough came across the way of my frustratedly flapping hands. "NOOOOO!"

I fell down, hard on my butt, the pain and the cold from the shower room floor...

My naked butt on the shower room floor?

Slowly, my eyes traveled down... and connected with wetly glistening skin... a tight abdominal... unruly black hair... white towel riding up high on my belly... parted legs sprawled helplessly on the floor... a familiar body in between...

"Hmpft!"

OH. MY. GOD.

My eyes were by then so wide that I thought they were going to split at the seams...

"Ah... I'm sorry everyone... are... no one's here..." I distinctly heard Hikoichi's voice echo inside the locker room, his footsteps coming closer...

I tried to move... but my mind remained blank... I...

No, please, Hikoichi... don't come in here... oh my... help me, Kami-sama... I'll do anything... just don't let him come here...

Unfortunately my prayers weren't answered.

"KYAAA!"

I closed my eyes in embarrassment as I heard Hikoichi scream in terror, obviously standing in front of us.

"What are you two doing in there?" He squeaked. "I - I'll just get my n - notebook later... uh... bye!" With that, the sophomore scurried away... probably as fast as his legs could carry him.

And I'm left alone with...

"Hmmmpft!"

With...

OH. MY. GOD.

I couldn't take it anymore...

"HENTAI AKIRA!!!!!!"

* * *

I was stalking out of the locker room... with a persistent BAKA HENTAI snapping at my heels. Seriously, does this guy ever give up? Why does he want my friendship so much? I can't understand it... There are other people who would want to be his best friend... so why me?

I was about to cave in a while ago... in the sho -

Okay, forget the shower episode... that was TOTALLY embarrassing.

"Hiro... wait up!" Sendoh called behind me. Fury raged through my veins. I viciously whirled back, silently thanking my hair because if it were long the action would have given me a whiplash.

"WHAT?" I snarled, grunting a bit in satisfaction as I saw Sendoh take a shaky step back.

"I - I'm sorry... I didn't mean to... uh... you know..." He blushed to the roots of his unspiked hair. I growled menacingly, and he steps back again. "It was an accident - HONEST!"

I glared at him, trying to gauge the truth of his words. He tried his puppy dog eyes again... and, wonder of all wonders, I felt the ice in me melt. Sighing, I shook my head. No one could ever win against Akira and his huge, watery, puppy dog eyes. Why, Kami-sama did you not give me the walls to keep this guy's look from affecting me? I shook my head again and turned, continuing on my way, but at a much lesser pace. Temper is nothing when you've got such weak defenses.

I could feel Akira's aura brighten.

He's such a child sometimes... so easy to please... wait a minute...

I'm calling him Akira again.

Inwardly, I moaned, mentally kicking my ass in the process. Stupid Hiroaki, I chided myself. When will you ever learn?

He was snapping at my heels again. When will this guy ever stop? I should've known not to make an enemy of Akira... he's so damned persistent! Left without any choice, I turned around again, catching him with his hand in midair, obviously about to place his hand on my shoulder to make me halt. He instantly took a quick step back - for the umpteenth time - and lowered his raised arm at his side. His eyes were confused, I could tell. And sure enough... I was ready to break down.

I know I'm being really girly here, but I cannot help it. I'm admitting it to everybody... or just to you, at least.

I mean, I've been into lots of drama before... heck, I've got lots of it at home already, and I can't take it anymore outside. I need someone who would help me cope with my life. I need my friends... and I only have a few of them... and only one really knows me inside out... and this guy is it.

This infuriatingly insensitive and unreachable person...

Sendoh Akira.

My best friend.

"Enough." I whispered. "Enough."

Even as I close my eyes, I could hear Akira approach. I heard him before I felt his hand warm on my shoulder. "I can't take this anymore..." I murmured almost incoherently. I knew he heard me though... I've got lots of these when I was younger... in midst of puberty frustrations... and family frustration.

My eyes involuntarily snapped open.

"Akira... we're still friends... aren't we?"

* * *

:SENDOH:

"Akira... we're still friends... aren't we?"

I wanted to cry right then. There was such a melancholic tone in that voice that made me want to kick myself because of my stupidity. In my quest for my true love, I forgot that I have a person who cracks the moment he is turned away because of things he didn't even do.

Koshino Hiroaki... my best friend.

"Yes, we are." I said clearly, keeping my gaze steady. "We always will be."

His eyes closed again, and I could hear him breathing in great amounts of air. He's trying to calm down... I could tell.

Then, those sad eyes stared into mine again.

"Akira..." He started. "I overreacted back then... you know... during your party..."

The past came back to haunt me. It was a test of friendship... and I failed.

But now, I'm going to make sure I won't fail.

Taking a deep breath, I shook his shoulders gently and smiled my old Akira smile.

"No. Don't say anything." I cut him off. "I was the one at fault. I did not stand up for you... I was too afraid of my party turning awry... and you're right... about the Rukawa-kun thing... and, well... I'm really sorry about that... uh... forgive me... Hiro-kun?"

He stared at me long and hard. His keen eyes made me uncomfortable... as if I was being questioned for a murder rap... Finally, his face brightened with a small smile.

My breath whooshed out of my lungs in relief.

Everything was alright again.

I have my best friend back.

* * *

TWO YEARS LATER

* * *

:KOSHINO:

Very irritating.

I couldn't quite understand why people should celebrate something so... cheesy.

Valentine's Day... Ch'!

I must have been looking too crabby as I trudged wearily towards my locker... people are starting to stare at me as if I'm some sort of a loser.

Great...

Sighing, I opened the metal door, and peering inside the purely academic jungle. I hate rummaging around my locker for books... I always end up with much more... Like the millipede that made a house of my extra pair of boxer briefs... and the family of cockroaches that had managed to mistake my baseball cap as a fucking moldy frying pan.

No, it's not that I'm a dirty type of guy complete with stinking socks and all... you probably know that already... it's just that, I'm tired of having to ALWAYS clean up after every mess I never made in the first place...

No, I'm not lying.

YES, it IS my locker, and YES, it should be containing things I own...

But that's exactly it!

My things SHOULD be the ones stacked up in there... but nooooo... someone, particularly a being who still resembled a porcupine in so many ways, decided that HIS locker was too messy and camped all his books and JUNK FOOD into MY locker!

I am starting to feel nauseated as always...

I'm currently feeling around for my Economics notebook and the sensation of something cold and gooey was beginning to baptize the tips of my fingers.

What is it now?

Carefully, so as not to smear the gluey glob on my poor, very expensive books, I drew back my hand, intent on finding out whatever it was which made the blood run cold inside my body.

I stared.

And blinked.

And blinked again.

Fruit Loops... with a couple of black bugs stuck on it.

Fucking Fruit Loops.

I was trying to like Fruit Loops because of my best friend's insistence that, I quote: "It's the best junk food in the whole universe."

If I'm unsure of my behavior towards the fucking thing, now... I'm very sure.

I hate Fruit Loops.

I will never eat them... they're disgusting...

I heard enthusiastic cheers as someone, obviously popular, made his way towards my direction.

"Whoo-hoo! Hey there, birthday boy!"

"Good luck with the training, Sendoh-kun!"

"Nice work yesterday Tensai!"

I felt a vein pop under the skin of my forehead.

Birthday Boy Sendoh Akira.

A hard whack between my shoulder blades did nothing to alleviate the vexed mood I was currently experiencing... it actually added more... and I could feel my insides churning like molten magma trying to push out of my system...

"Oi, sorry for being late!" Akira said happily, his lips stretched to a wide and innocent grin, his perfect teeth gleaming under the fluorescent lights of the hallway.

I wanted to punch him, just to make him stop smiling.

I'm having another bad day.

He should be having one too... birthday or not.

"I need to get my Literature manual... have you seen it, Hiro-kun?"

I gritted my teeth. "No, I haven't seen it."

"How about my Cross pen? You know, the gift Rukawa-kun gave me a couple of years ago? Seen it anywhere? I think I lost it yesterday before practice... Oh God... he's gonna kill me for sure if he gets a wind of it being lost..." His features turned thoughtful, and as sudden as the cloud hung over him, it went away, leaving him looking at me happily and smiling his infuriating trademark grin. "I thought maybe you've seen it too!"

I slitted my eyes, glaring at him as menacingly as I could... and as always, I could tell that I'm doing a delightfully great job, since the grin immediately disappeared and he took a step back.

"Uh... something wrong? You... you look... scary..." He stammered, taking another fearful step back. Then, he slapped a hand on his forehead. "Of course you're always scary... but... uh... you look scarier... uh... Hiro-kun...?"

Another vein popped on my forehead. This guy will surely get it now...

I started menacingly towards him.

"What were you eating yesterday... after lunch?" I asked him, my voice calmer than I looked.

"Umm... Fruit Loops?" Akira said, still backing away.

"And what did you do with the leftovers?" I asked, plastering a saccharine smile on my face.

"I... uh... I..." He scratched his head, smiling apologetically. "I placed it in - your locker...?"

"Yeeeeesh..." I hissed, the smile still intact, and the venom in my voice evident. "Do you take it out before basketball practice?"

"Uh..." He stalled, scratching the back of his spiky head, offering a guilty smile in place of the former apologetic grin. "No...?"

"Do you know what happened to them?"

"No..."

"They melted down... again... like the way it always melt..."

Akira gulped and nodded tensely. "Like how?"

I glared at him angrily, thrusting the fingers with the greenish glob towards him. "Like this!"

"And now, MY locker is FULL of minute BUGS!" I screamed, my control snapping. The molten feeling inside me was out in the open now... and whenever that happens, I go out of control...

I usually feel bad about it... my temper is a short one... and I almost pity those who came face to face with it before...

But now...

Now...

It's a different story.

Gripping a huge random hardbound book I got from my locker, I glared at him, my feet starting towards him in their own accord...

Soon, We were both running... He away from me, screaming like a banshee, and I waving my Managerial book above my head threateningly as I snapped at his heels.

"Help! I don't wanna be killed!" he shrieked, dodging the oncoming battalion of soldier-like students from their PE classes.

"AKIRA! COME BACK HERE!"

"IYA! STOP, HIRO-KUN! YAMETE!"

"DIE!!!"

* * *

"I'm really sorry, Hiro... I promise not to do it again..."

I almost broke my resolve as he gazed at me with puppy-dog eyes that made him look like an adorable kid. But I should know better... "You're going to do it again... I just know it." I sighed, shaking my head as we sat on the steps outside the university gymnasium. We were meters away from our building, and we knew that if the bell rung, we would be late... uh... again. But I didn't care. As long as this baka learns his lesson, then it's all for a good cause.

There were six huge lumps on his head, and his spikes were ruined.

I finally caught up with him outside the gym; I never realized that I could actually run that fast... and that long too. I guess anger is a good fuel for racing on foot.

Hmm. maybe I should stay pissed off with him forever...

I would do wonders for me if I would!

But...

I wouldn't.

I mean, come on, I'm not that cruel... he's like a brother to me...

We grew up together, went through The-Girls-Are-Icky phase together (though I'm having an inkling that he's not through with that phase yet... ^^;;;) ... we played basketball together... heck - we do everything together! (No, we don't SLEEP together... HENTAI!) And yeah, we survived the best friend crisis together a couple of years ago.

"Ne, Hiro-kun..."

There was a sad quality in that voice.

"Nani?" I asked, all curiosity.

"Do you think Kaede likes me?"

I couldn't help smiling a bit.

It was always Kaede this and Kaede that with Akira... and apparently, still is.

Ah... love...

I couldn't believe that this guy haven't made a real concrete move on Rukawa-kun yet... he's been asking the same question for two years now... This guy really is in love. He's not courting anyone and he told me he never would unless by some miracle, Rukawa-kun gives him a go...

Sometimes I wish the Shohoku captain would say something to him, not just the "Baka Akira" liners he spews out of his blessed mouth! Sheesh! And to think that he's attracted to Akira... hmm... maybe he doesn't know it yet... maybe I should ask that loudmouthed redhead...

At the thought of Shohoku, my mind conjured an image of Ayako-san.

I couldn't get her out of my mind too. I heard she went to Kainandai University... but I couldn't be so sure... I wonder how she is...

A few days after Akira and I were friends again, I received a letter from a very harassed-looking and very much angry Curly Top... erm... Miyagi.

<<< FLASHBACK>>>

"Oi, Ryonan vice captain!"

I tried to placate the voice but I couldn't. It was nowhere familiar, so what I did was to turn around and see who was calling me so scathingly. Even if my brows already set into a frown over the rude call, I wasn't quite prepared to see a seething Miyagi Ryota standing a few feet from me.

"What?" I snarled in my best grouchy tone.

"Aya-chan asked me to give you THIS!" With that, he threw me a small parcel with a pale blue ribbon. It almost hit me squarely on the forehead, good thing I have good reflexes, or else I would have been half-dead on the pavement.

"What's this?" I asked in wonder as I turned the gift over, looking for a card. There was none. "Why did Ayako-san give me this?" I called out at his retreating back.

Miyagi did not turn back, but I could sense defeat in his stance. "I don't know." He called back. "Maybe it's..." He shook his head. "Just ask her yourself, get her number from Sendoh!" With that, he ran.

Why?

I don't understand...

* * *

I was dumbfounded when I saw what it was.

A box of cookies.

Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip... my favorite.

How in the world did she know that I liked these... the only person who knew is... Akira.

She asked him, I see...

Heh, I'm really going to get her number from him... we're going to have a nice, long talk.

* * *

"Hey, Hiro-kun! Coming?" Akira called out as I opened the locker room door. I had just finished my shower and was in my civilian clothes, my gym bag a heavy burden on my shoulders.

"Nah, I've got to meet someone!" I called back.

A chorus of OOOHs tailed my words. I blushed in mortification as I saw Hikoichi, Uekusa and even Fukuda grinning mischievously at me.

"Uh... Akira... I'd better go..." With that, I scurried away.

Heck, Fukuda's smile was scary.

* * *

"Ayako-san!" I called out the moment I spotted her sitting on one of the green benches in the park. "Sorry for making you wait!" I finally got to her and panted tiredly. I ran all the way up to the park, after all.

"Ah... that's okay, Koshino-san..." She smiled at me... that pretty smile that immediately was imprinted in the depths of my soul. "I'm the one who should apologize... for a lot of things..."

I sat down next to her and smiled back sheepishly. "No need to, Ayako-san, it's alright, everything went great."

She cast me sad eyes. "But I wanted to make it clear..."

"Clear?" I asked, confused.

"Ryota is not my boyfriend... he never would be."

At that moment, it felt as if the gods smiled down on me.


<<<END FLASHBACK>>>

I sighed as the bell rung for fifth period.

When am I going to see her again?

* * *

"Okay, class we have a new student... she transferred a here because of living arrangements. Please make sure she gets all the past lessons because we have an exam next week, understood?" The Economics professor said in a stern tone.

Mr. Yasuba, one of the best, not to mention the sternest instructors around is my favorite... he's my favorite as long as he doesn't reprimand me. Hell, he looks scary when he's angry... believe me, you don't want to see his brow knit... or you'd be in detention...

"KOSHINO HIROAKI."

I paused mid-step.

Darn. I was so close!

I slowly straightened up and faced the professor... and stared.

Dark eyes bored into mine...

Beautiful. I thought.

Then a heart melting blush... then a shy smile.

My heart skipped a bit.

Never mind Professor Yasuba...

This one was more important.

I smiled back in complete bliss.

It was Ayako-san.

* * *

A YEAR AND A HALF LATER...

* * *

"Ohayo Hiro!"

I smiled at the only person I that I know would ever make my heart race.

It had been a year and a half now... and she could still make me feel this way.

Maybe we're really for each other.

"Ohayo, Aya-chan!"

A kiss on those sweet lips...

And...

My life was never better.

* * *

"Oi! Akira, where are you going? It'll only be an hour more before basketball practice!" I called out to my best friend as he raced towards the Chemistry laboratory.

"No time!" Akira panted, his bag flying behind him. Hanagata-san and Kogure-san would kill me if I don't get to the lab on time!" With that, he disappeared around the corner. I wonder why he's rushing...

"Oi, Hotheaded baka!"

I stiffened. HOTHEADED BAKA?!

I turned around and there was the unmistakable form of Sakuragi Hanamichi walking confidently towards my direction. Sighing, I let the comment pass. After all, I can't wallop the guy since I have leg injury after last tournament's championship. With him was Aida Hikoichi, his wondrous sidekick, and behind the two were Fujima Kenji and Maki Shinichi, the current basketball team captain of our university. Why he never went to Kainandai University, I would never know. Heh... did I mention he was a childhood friend too? Heh, small world huh?

"How's the injury, Koshino-sempai?" Hikoichi asked worriedly, casting a look at my metal crutches and bandaged leg.

I gave a confident smile. "Never better!"

Fujima grinned happily. "Aya-chan's much of an inspiration ne?" He teased. I felt my cheeks heat up.

Sakuragi guffawed at the sight. Pointing at me, he said;

"He really is a hothead! Look, his ears are steaming! NYAHAHAHA! HAY - ITAI!"

I grinned at Maki.

I really love that guy! He's a savior!

"Oi, Teme, old man, why did you do that?"

"You're being noisy again, dammit! If you do that again, I'll let you off the team!"

"But I'm not in the team anymore, remember?"

Heh, that's because you've got the injury baka. I thought inwardly. And those red marks too.

"Oi, get well soon, ne!" Fujima grinned, skipping off towards the Chemistry lab... to find his love, Hanagata-san. I sighed inwardly... those two are sooo in love!

"We're off too! See you later Koshino-kun!" Maki called out as he pushed the two freshmen towards the University Gymnasium.

I was checking the board for announcements when there was a light tap on my back.

I turned in surprise and saw Rukawa Kaede staring at me pleadingly. "Koshino-sempai... have you seen Akira - uh... Sendoh?"

So, they're on first name basis now huh? I gave him a knowing grin, in which he turned crimson. "He's in the Chem. Lab, around that corner. I watched him took the turn at full speed and shook my head. The wonders fate brings people.

"Oi, Hiro... what are you looking for?"

Ayako.

I closed my eyes and sighed, turning to her and kissing her with all that I had.

We were getting a bit too carried away when I remembered I had an appointment with my therapist.

"Aya-chan... I have to go..." I breathed.

"Therapist?" She asked, her eyes searching mine lovingly. "I'll go with you..."

"No." I said, trying to compose myself again. I grinned. The team will miss your delightful presence... Rukawa-kun and Mitsui-san would miss your harisen."

She laughed. That tinkly joyous laughter I love so much.

"Hai, hai." She grinned as her laughter subsided. "That they would... so... see you tonight?" She asked. Straightening my collar.

I nodded and kissed her once more on her forehead.

"You bet."

* * *

I was out of the building when...

BOOOM!

I looked up immediately and gasped at a thin column of white smoke coming from the...

Chemistry Laboratory?

Then there was a chorus of screams...

"RUKAWA-KUN!"

Rukawa?

I wondered as I walked towards the direction of my automatic car.

What the heck happened there?

* * *

OWARI

* * *

A/N: END! Ehehe... at last, it's finished! Could you take a guess what happened at the last part? *Mischievous grin* Thanks for reading guys! Reviews! Tell me what you thought of it! ^___^