Slayers Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Magic in Nerima! ❯ 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: None of the series, characters, or locations mentioned in this story are owned by the author of this story unless stated otherwise. Also, note that the [+++FLASHBACK+++] sequences are a reference to the greatest humor series of all time.
 
Also, any glaring errors will be fixed tomorrow 'cause I'm too lazy to fix it right now and I would like to get a response soon.
 
---Chapter 1: Here's Ranma!---
 
“Fiance?”
 
“Yes, the son of a very good friend of mine,” Soun said to the four girls. Ranko's eyes lit up in recognition.
 
“You mean…” Ranko spoke up in realization.
 
“That's right, your brother, Ranma Saotome, is the boy.” He smiled. His daughters were giving Ranko the Evil Eye and she held up her arms in defense.
 
“Whoa, I had no idea there was an arranged marriage involved! I thought he would be going straight home! Honest!” Everyone except for the middle Tendo girl took that as atleast a half-truth.
 
“So, Ranko, what can you tell us about your brother? How old is he?” Kasumi said with a hopeful look.
 
“That's right,” Nabiki said thoughtfully. “You never really talk about them much, do you? Other than how great and wonderful Ranma must be, but still…”
 
“I haven't seen them in years,” Ranko snapped. She calmed down some and put her hand up to her chin. “…Well, Ranma's older than me…” She started with a thoughtful look. Just as Kasumi's eyes lit up, she continued. “…by about a few minutes…” The middle Tendo sister blinked at this.
 
“You mean he's your twin?”
 
“Yep,”
 
“Oh…” The eldest girl looked downcast. They were alerted by some crashing sounds and noises. “We have visitors!” The eldest announced. All five stood up.
 
“It must be Ranma!” Nabiki said excitedly.
 
“Saotome my friend, we've been waiting!” The two took off towards the entrance… Only to come running back seconds later with a panda carrying a young girl behind them. Ranko looked up at the girl in recognition.
 
“Hey! Yo! You're scarin' them spitless!” the girl called over her shoulder.
 
“Father! These are your friends?!” the eldest asked from behind the man. He rapidly shook his head and the Nabiki looked up at him angrily.
 
“Oh yeah! So this PANDA just decided to visit! Happens all the TIME!” She said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. The Panda set Ranma-chan down in front of the man and she looked up into his face. Ranko approached her from the side.
 
“Brother?” She asked tentatively. `Heh. I should win an Oscar for what I'll be doing from now on.' “It's been so long!” She hugged the other girl then froze in `surprise'. She pulled back from Ranma-chan and looked down at her chest. It was at this time, however, that Ranma was able to slightly remember his sister.
 
“Ranko?” She asked in just as hesitant a voice.
 
“Hey…” Nabiki said in confusion. “They're identical!” She was poking both in the chest. “Equipment and all!” Silence reigned for a good moment before Ranko's eyes rolled back in her head and she `fainted'.
 
“Ranko!” Akane said in concern. “Ranko, are you okay?” Ranma merely looked down at the girl below her, trying to remember as much as she could about her sister.
 
-
 
`Now should be a good time to “wake up…”' Ranko blinked open her eyes and awoke from her self-induced fainting spell and looked up. She was lying next to Soun. “Oh…what an odd dream…”
 
“It wasn't a dream, Ranko-chan,” Nabiki said in annoyance. “Your twin brother is actually your `Twin Sister'.”
 
“No, no…that's impossible,” She said, sitting up. “The reason they wouldn't allow me to join them on the trip was because I was a girl. I doubt they would let one girl go and the other stay,” She turned to face the group. “Ranma…” She looked for the other girl. `Must already be in the Dojo with Akane then,' She thought to herself. `I figured I'd end up looking just like his cursed form…' the girl thought as she blinked. Then, with the classic fist-in-palm look of realization, she nodded. “I get it! You've been cursed!”
 
Genma froze.
 
“Yeah! That's gotta be it! There's no other way that much magic could be flowing from the two of you!” She pointed at the Panda knowingly. “You must be father, right?” She said.
 
“Magic?” Nabiki asked, looking at her.
 
“Oh yeah. I never told you, did I?” She said with a thoughtful look.
 
“Told us what?” Nabiki asked, irate with the girl for withholding information.
 
“I'm a sorceress.” She said, looking back towards the Panda.
 
“A WHAT?” Nabiki asked rather loudly.
 
“Here, let me show you!” The red head said in a giddy voice. She tapped the middle Tendo girl on the forehead. “Sleep.” The girl in question's eyes closed and she fell over. “See? Wasn't that fun?” She gave a double-fisted smile and maintained an all-around cutesy look.
 
Everyone with the exception of the now sleeping Nabiki stared at her warily.
 
--
Meanwhile, in the dojo..
--
 
“Yah!” Akane threw a punch and Ranma found herself instinctively dodging. “Yah!” She kicked out and Ranma's eyes widened as she blocked it.
 
`She's pretty good! Almost as good as that Amazon chick!' the pig-tailed girl thought, a smirk creeping onto her face. `Too bad she's a girl though. I can't spar seriously with a girl…Whoa!' She ducked under another punch. `At least it's good dodging practice!'
 
---
 
“Hmm…Hmm…” Ranko was closing her eyes and holding her hand over the Panda's head in what appeared to be concentration. “The trigger…has something to do with water…” She said. After another palm-in-fist look of realization she nodded. “Well that's simple!”
 
-
 
Genma-Panda flew towards the Koi-Pond with a horrified look in his eyes. `How did she…' There was a splash and the panda got out of the water, shaking it's…claw…paw? Err, whatever.
 
“But I was sure it was water-related,” Said Ranko with an unsure look in her eyes.
 
“Eh? What's going on?” Ranma said as she walked out to join Ranko and Genma. “What's pops doin' out there?” she asked uncertainly.
 
“Ranma,” Ranko asked, turning to face the boy. “How does your curse work? It's something to do with water, right?” She prodded. Ranma looked at her in surprise.
 
“Wh-what are you talking about?”
 
“Your body changing curse. You can fix it with water…Maybe you don't know,” She muttered.
 
“Uh…It's hot water,” Ranma said blankly.
 
“Really? Then that's simple!” She smiled and tossed Genma-Panda back at the Koi-Pond. “Fireball!” She threw a small orb of orange light at the pond and there was an explosion of steam. A man's scream sounded out as Genma, now human, jumped out of the pond.
 
“Hot water! Not boiling!” he yelled at his daughter.
 
“Father! It really is you!” Said the girl with a look of awe and adoration in her eyes.
 
“Uh, well yes…” Genma said, positioning his glasses to stay on his head. Both looked at Ranma-chan for a second. Ranma glanced at the Koi Pond, which was still giving off a large amount of steam.
 
“Er, How did you do that?” Ranma asked, trying to take attention away from herself. Genma turned to look at Ranko and Ranko looked up thoughtfully.
 
“Oh, it's magic,” she said. “Aren't you going to change…back?” Both Genma and Ranko looked around in confusion. “Where'd he go?”
 
“Anyway,” Genma said, turning back towards the girl. “Is your mother around?”
 
“No,” The girl shook her head. “If you want I could call-“
 
“NO! No! I mean…not…That's not necessary!” He laughed. “Your mother…err…”
 
“Father? Is something wrong?” the girl asked.
 
“No, nothing.” He hugged the girl. “I'm just so glad to finally see you after so long, daughter!”
 
“Oh, and me you, father!” She cried fake tears of happiness. `Just how many guys did you engage me to on your trip, anyway?'
 
“You look well, daughter,” Genma said, pulling away from the girl. “You've kept up your training?”
 
“Yes,” She said, starry-eyed. “Mother discourages it, but I was able to keep her from noticing…”
 
“Good, good,” Genma nodded. “I'll assess your skills later, but for now, come, we must speak with Tendo at once!”
 
--
 
A little later Ranma was thinking while soaking in the furo.
 
`I can't believe she's here…' Ranma closed his eyes in thought. `My sister…She looks just like my cursed form…I wonder how she knew about the curse? I hope she's told everyone else…'cause if not they're about ta find out the hard way…' Ranma sighed as he stepped up and prepared to get out of the bath.
 
Only to find Akane standing at the entrance to the washroom. He blinked and noticed that her eyes were looking more lower than directly at his face. He looked down. `Oh.'
 
--
 
Ranko was sitting by the shoji screen that was the entrance of the house, watching the sky.
 
“YAAAAAAAAA!”
 
“Oh? That was Akane,” Ranko said, looking away from the sunset. Ranko watched in confusion as Akane ran out, dressed only in her Gi-top, and proceeded to grab a large piece of some ornament looking thing that she'd never bothered to ask what was called. “Akane-chan, what's wrong?”
 
“THERE'S A PERVERT IN THE BATHROOM!”
 
“What? Oh, that's Ranma,” Ranko waved it off.
 
“COME ON- What?” Akane stuttered.
 
“You know, my brother,” She said casually.
 
“Your brother?” Akane asked, confused. “I thought Ranma was your sister?”
 
“Haven't I been telling you for all these years that Ranma is a he? What would make you think he was a girl at all?”
 
“But- it…she…HE…” As the adrenaline faded, She realized just how heavy the huge chunk of stone she was holding was. She set it back where it was and stood there silently.
 
“You're not wearing any underwear?” The red-headed girl asked. “You might want to remedy that,” She said. Akane turned around to look at her in confusion. Ranko pointed behind herself with her thumb and Akane's gaze followed. Ranma was standing there, staring at her.
 
“You…YOU PERVERT!” She screamed.
 
“Well Akane, you're the one running around more than half-naked,” Ranko said, looking somewhat offended. “Maybe you should have considered underwear?” Akane looked at Ranko, feeling more than a little lost.
 
“Well…but…HE'S STILL A PERVERT!”
 
“Hey now,” Ranma said, looking somewhat peeved. “Who walked in on who?”
 
“It's different when a girl sees a guy!” Akane screamed, her face as red as possible. Ranko and Ranma looked at each other before shrugging. “And I thought you were a girl!” she stomped away, clearly upset with the both of them.
 
“Darn, this is what I wanted to avoid. Oh well, not like I really tried,” Ranko shrugged. “And you were staring at her,”
 
“Was not,” Ranma blushed.
 
There was silence for a while between the two and Ranma looked at Ranko.
 
“…You're looking well,” Ranma said.
 
“I know,” the girl said flicking her hair behind her back. “Although I haven't had a chance to change out of this Gi for a while…” She looked up at him. “Those look really comfortable,” the girl said. “Chinese silk?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
---
 
“Once more,” Ranko sighed. She was sitting in between her father and brother, introducing the two. “This is my father, Genma.” She pointed at the bald middle-aged martial artist to her left with her right arm. “This is my twin brother, Ranma.” She pointed at the pig-tailed martial artist to her other side wit her other arm.
 
The fact that this inversely crossed her arms only served to make the scene look stranger.
 
“What's this all about?” Nabiki spoke up.
 
“Is Ranma really her?” Kasumi asked.
 
“Hmm…Where to begin…” Genma started. “I know…”
 
*SPLASH*
 
“HEY!” Ranma cried out indignantly as she surfaced from the Koi pond. “What the hell are you DOING?!”
 
“Ohhh…My own son. How humiliating…” Genma remained unaware of the pig-tailed girl that jump kicked him from behind until he was sopping wet.
 
“Who are YOU to talk?!” She yelled, crossing her arms.
 
“Daddy…” Kasumi started as she watched the two brawl in the Koi Pond. “Why are you friends with them?”
 
“They weren't like this before!” He started. An orange ball of light approached the Koi Pond. “Not before they went to China--” There was an explosion of water and steam. “…What now?” They watched as two very red martial artists walked away from the Koi Pond towards Ranko.
 
“What was that for?!” Ranma asked his sister angrily.
 
“I just thought you two could use a little warming up,” she shrugged.
 
“Ohh yeahhh,” Nabiki said, narrowing her eyes, looking at the red-headed girl. “What's this `Sorceress' business all of a sudden?!”
 
“Details, details,” Ranko said, waving her hand. “All will come in time. For now, we were talking about Otou-sama and Aniki's transformations?”
 
“Ah yes,” Genma said.
 
 
[+++GENMA'S QUICK'N DIRTY FLASHBACK+++]
 
 
“Here we are pop!” Ranma sneered. “The secret training ground of Jusenkyo!”
 
“Boy…” Genma warned. “I have a bad feeling about this place. Perhaps it would be wise for us to move on.”
 
“Are you joking?” Ranma continued to sneer. “You're just afraid of a little water, old man! Hah! To think I call you sensei!” the boy laughed as he hopped atop one of the poles. “You can stay there all you like, you worthless slab of meat! I'm going to become the best martial artist ever!”
 
“Boy!” Genma growled. “…Fine. If you wish to be disciplined, so be it!” He hopped up and turned to face Ranma. “You will regret your wor-
 
 
[+++END RETARDED FLASHBACK+++]
 
 
“That ain't how it went at all!” Ranma roared. “You were the one who dragged me there!”
 
 
[+++RANMA'S FAR MORE ACCURATE FLASHBACK+++]
 
 
“Here, Sir. Is legendary “Training ground of Accursed Springs.” A portly Chinese man dressed in red clothes motions a large grouping of ponds with tons of bamboo shafts poking out of the ground. The two martial artists look around and Ranma snorts.
 
“Are you prepared, Ranma?”
 
“Feh. Ain't impressed.” The two began setting their traveling packs and equipment to the side.
 
“You very strange ones, no? This place very dangerous. Nobody use now.” Ranma turned to see the guide and blinked; he was wearing green clothes this time. “Is more than one hundred spring here…and each one have own tragic legend!”
 
Genma snorted. “Right. Tragic.” He leapt into the air. “Ranma, follow me!” He leapt up above the poles and Ranma followed, tightening his belt.
 
“Wait, sirs! Very bad if fall in spring!”
 
“I won't take it easy on you.” Genma said.
 
“That's just how I want it.” Ranma replied, just as seriously. The two clashed, and Ranma was the first to knock Genma down below. Ranma landed on one of the bamboo poles as his father fell into the water. “Gotcha.” The boy waited for a few seconds before realizing something may have been wrong. As bubbles started to surface, he called out. “What's up pop? Through already?”
 
Just then, a huge Panda wearing a Dogi jumped out at Ranma.
 
“Wh-what the hell is this?!” Ranma asked, pointing at the Panda. The guide spoke up.
 
“That is spring of drowned panda! Tragic story of Panda who drown there two thousand years ago! Now whoever fall in spring take form of panda!”
 
`Oh no.' Ranma's eyes bugged out even further. “Wait a second!” `If the old man knocks me down there, who knows what I'll turn into?!' He dodged the Panda's attacks. “You never said anything about—Waugh!” Ranma was slammed downwards towards another spring.
 
[+++END FLASHBACK+++]
 
A wind chime sounds as they sit.
 
“So…The legendary ground of accursed springs. It's true horror has always been shrouded in mystery. But now…”
 
“Feh. What `True horror'?!” Ranma grabbed his father by the gi. “Yo, old man, what's the idea of dragging me to a place like that anyway?!”
 
*SPLASH*
 
“You sound like a WOMAN! Were you not willing to give your life for the art?!”
 
“My life, yes! My manhood is another story!” Ranma quickly hopped out of the water, glad it was still warm from Ranko's Fireball. `Hey, wait a minute!' “Ranko!” Everyone turned to face the shortest person there.
 
“Eh? What?” She asked.
 
“What was that magic stuff you were talkin' bout earlier?”
 
“Hmm?” She asked, looking innocent. “Whatever are you talking about?” Nabiki's eyes flashed with recognition.
 
“Don't play dumb,” the middle Tendo pointed at the girl. “Just what have you been holding out on us?”
 
“Ah…you mean this?” She asked, poking Nabiki on the forehead. “Sleep.”
 
“Yes, tha…” She fell over. Everyone looked at her, then at Ranko, who was creeping away.
 
“Oh no you don't!” Ranma grabbed the girl and pulled her back towards the group. “Where did ya' think you were goin?”
 
“Oh, uh, to take a bath,” She shrugged.
 
“Why are you trying to avoid this?” Akane asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Avoid what?”
 
“The magic.” Akane said.
 
“What magic?”
 
“You know what I'm talking about!” the other girl yelled.
 
“You mean this?” Ranko tried to poke the other girl on the head, but Akane jumped backwards, perfectly evading the attempt. “Oh, darn. She's wising up to me.” Everyone stared at her, half-lidded. “Well, I suppose you should wake Nabiki-chan up, because I don't really want to repeat myself,” She said.
 
--
 
Everyone was sitting around, waiting for Ranko's explanation.
 
“Well?” Ranma prodded.
 
“Well, you see…I'm…the reincarnation of a magical princess from the kingdom of the moon, thousands of years ago!”
 
She was met with a majority of half-lidded stares.
 
“I think most of us have seen Sailor Moon.” Nabiki deadpanned.
 
“Oh. Right…Well, uh…” She blinked, looking around. “You see…I'm…err…”
 
“Just tell us the truth, why don't you?” Ranma asked, annoyed.
 
“Oh, fine. I… found some old weird books a really long time ago and it turned out they were tomes of magic.” She shrugged. Everyone stared at her.
 
“That's…it?”
 
“Yep.” She stood up. “Man, I'm famished. Hey Akane, You wanna take a bath while dinner is prepared? You were going to earlier before wonder boy over there surprised you.”
 
“…Uh…yeah. I guess.” She shook her head, stood up and the two made their way to the washroom.
 
The rest just sat there in relative silence.
 
“So…” Ranma blinked several times.
 
“So, Ranma,” Soun moved to the boy's side. “You transform into a girl with cold water and change back with warm water, yes?”
 
“That's the skinny,” Ranma nodded.
 
“Well then!” Soun chuckled. “Your problem's not so bad!”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You've met my daughters,” Soun said. He motioned towards Kasumi. “Kasumi, Nineteen.” He motioned towards Nabiki. “Nabiki, Seventeen.” He then motined towards the washroom. “Akane, Sixteen. Pick the one you want, and she's your fiancée.”
 
“Oh, he wants Akane,” Kasumi suggested.
 
“Definitely,” Nabiki nodded rapidly.
 
“What? Nah, she…seems a bit too violent—“
 
“Good choice, son!” Soun ignored him. “Well then, from now on, Akane is your fiancée!”
 
“No!” Ranma stood up. “I don't have time for this fiancée crap!” he turned to leave and started walking.
 
“Foolish boy,” Genma snorted. “Just where are you going?”
 
“I'm going back to China to find a cure for this curse!” Ranma shot back.
 
“Oh, poor Ranko,” Genma started. “She's only gotten to see her brother once…” Ranma slowed down at this. “She'll be heartbroken when she finds out her brother abandoned her again!” He forced his eyes shut to squeeze a tear out. Ranma clenched his fists and turned around to face the man.
 
“…Fine. But I'm staying for her, and not any of this other mess.”
 
--
 
“So what do you think of Ranma?” Ranko asked, sitting next to Akane in the large furo. “I heard you managed to get him into the dojo before you found out he was a he,”
 
“That's right…” Akane sighed.
 
“So he beat you?”
 
“Hmph,” the other girl frowned. “He was toying with me.”
 
“Wow, that much better, eh?” Ranko nodded. `That's to be expected. Even though we have each other for sparring partners as well as Mister Tendo's… lax training, life on the road is way tougher. I imagine she did better than she would have, but it probably still wasn't good enough. We're about even so… I'm definitely going to have to train with those two if I want to catch up. I don't really care about what Akane does, although she'll likely join us.' “Well, he and otou-sama have been on the road for ten years. I'd bet aniki was as good as we are now when we first met, if not better.”
 
“…You speak so respectfully of the two.”
 
“Haha-ue taught me no less,” Ranko sighed.
 
“Auntie Saotome?” Akane spoke up. “Hmm, she does seem the type.”
 
There was silence as the two girls relaxed.
 
“Well…What else do you think of him? You think he looks nice, huh, huh?” Ranko nudged Akane with an elbow. “Come on! You can tell me!” Akane blushed.
 
“That's none of your business!”
 
“Sure it is when you're talking about my brother,” Ranko smirked. “You could end up as my Sister-in-law, you know.” Akane's face only seemed to redden further and she sank below the water in the furo up to her mouth. “Ah ha! So you do think he's cute!” The girl mumbled something, but only bubbles surfaced up through the water. “Hmm? What's that? I can't hear you,” Ranko leaned in and blinked several times.
 
He's
 
“What? Stop mumbling. I couldn't hear that second part.” Ranko leaned in closer.
 
He lives up to his name,” Akane whispered in frustration. Ranko blinked.
 
“Huh.” She thought for a few seconds. “Oh. OH. Oh eww. Totally gross, sister, that was some unneeded information right there,” Ranko said, moving away from the other girl. “For someone who says `Pervert' a lot, you sure notice just the right things,” She shuddered. “I think I might be having nightmares tonight, thanks.”
 
Akane could only stare straight ahead as the few seconds in which she'd walked in on Ranma repeatedly replayed in her mind.
 
---
 
Once she got out the Furo and put on her night clothes, which consisted of black shorts and a red tank top, she walked into the guest room to speak with Genma, who was going through his and Ranma's travel packs.
 
“Ne, Otou-sama,” Ranko called out to her father. “Are you going to take us home today?”
 
“Huh?” Genma asked in surprise. “N-NO! I mean…Why should we go home?”
 
“Well…” Ranko looked outside. “It is kinda dark. I mean, I was already planning to spend the night because Haha-ue is out of town on business, but I guess I can prepare two extra mats.” She shrugged. “I just thought, since we have our own house, you could just take us there.”
 
“No no no no, that will not be necessary. You see, I…” Genma frantically thought of an excuse not to go home. “Well you see…I cannot properly surprise your mother if Ranma and I are there waiting for her when she gets home from her trip!” Ranko blinked and looked thoughtful for a second.
 
“Actually, that sounds like a rather nice way to surprise her…”
 
“No! NO! It's all wrong,” Genma said urgently. “Listen, I know your mother. And I know just the way to surprise her with Ranma. Just keep me posted, okay sweetie? If you catch wind of her return, tell me as soon as possible.” He would have curled his fingers if it were not for the fact that his hands were near death-gripping the girl's shoulders. He watched as several emotions played out on her face and prayed to whatever gods existed that she'd buy it.
 
“Hmm…Okay!” She said with a cheery face. “I'll leave all the thinking to you! Tee hee!”
 
“Thank you!” He gave her a bone crushing hug. “Thank you!”
 
“Ergh…you're hurting me…O…tou…sama…” He released her with a look of concern on his face and checked her for injuries.
 
“Are you all right?”
 
“Ah, no I'm fine. I just need to catch my breath.”
 
-
 
“Kasumi-onee-chan,” Ranko said as she walked out of the guest room just as Ranma walked in. “Otou-sama said he plans on staying here. Are the extra futons in the same place where mine was?”
 
“Yes, that's correct,” Kasumi nodded, then looked thoughtful. “Are you sure you still want to sleep in the guest room? I'm sure Akane wouldn't mind…”
 
“Oh no, it's quite alright. They're family, and I haven't seen them in so long,” She said with a wistful sigh.
 
“But still, they're both men…”
 
“Oh come on, onee-chan,” Ranko waved a hand. “They aren't going to try anything silly like that. They're family!”
 
“Well, okay…” She sighed. “If that's how you feel…” She watched in disappointment as the younger girl walked away. `Auntie Nodoka's worked so hard to raise her as a traditional girl.' She turned back to the bowl she was scrubbing. `I can't let that go to waste…but…' She shook her head and berated herself. `Oh, what am I so worked up about? That's her twin brother and father…'
 
And soon, the usual pleasant, oblivious smile that would last for the rest of the series set on her face as she completed the last of her household chores.
 
“Oh, onee-chan,” Ranko said as she poked her head from behind a wall.
 
“Yes, Ranko-chan?” She turned to face the girl with her usual smile.
 
“Let me help you with cooking from now on, okay?” Kasumi's smile brightened.
 
“Of course!”
 
--
 
Ranko walked out of the washroom in her nightie and yawned. “Man, it's getting late. I wonder if they're sleep already,” She said in a low voice. When she slid open the door to the guest room, she noticed that Genma was snoring away, and Ranma was lying on his own futon in the middle of her empty one and Genma's, silent. “Yep, looks like it,” She whispered as she got into her own futon.
 
Within minutes, she was performing a duet with Genma.
 
-
 
Ranma growled as he covered his ears with his pillow before looking from Genma to Ranko. “You can tell they're related,” he growled.
 
Needless to say, he did not sleep as well as the other two Saotomes.
 
---
 
¯\(º_o)/¯