Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Case of the Golden EMERALD ❯ Showdown at the Museum ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Shadow?! What the hell are you doing here?"
"I think you know, Knuckles... where are Sonic and Tails?" his voice was dark and maniacal.
"Right here, Shadow, why have you come?" said Sonic as he and Tails walked in the room. Tails shut the door.
"Well, I have some news regarding the gang"

Shadow the Hedgehog, the most loyal and merciless member of the Robotnic Gang; or at least he was. You see, way back in the day, when the Robotnic Gang was in full force, Shadow was the most feared out of the four Under-bosses. He was a real bad ass, and we could never catch him. However, one night changed everything. It was a frigid winter's night, and we got a call to go to the Old Station Square Bridge. When we got there we saw Shadow standing on one of the rails. We thought we had him cornered. We stood there for what seemed like days, with our weapons pointed strait for Shadow's head. What happened next was so unbelievable, still to this day I wonder if it was a dream. Shadow, the one who killed dozens of innocent people, was surrendering! He said that he was tired of killing for no reason, and that his conscience finally caught up to him. At first I though it was a trap, but Sonic thought differently. He put down his gun and took a step towards him. One of Shadow's underlings set off a bomb that caused a small chunk of the bridge to collapse. Of coarse, Sonic and Shadow had to be on that chunk. The next thing I knew Sonic was holding onto a ledge, he managed to grab Shadow before he fell to his death. Sonic had saved his life.
Shadow vowed that he would never take a life without a good reason, and that he would assist us in taking the R. Gang down. I didn't believe it at first, I mean, it was Shadow the Hedgehog, he was always known for his tricks. As always, Sonic gave him the benefit of the doubt, and he's been a double agent ever since. I guess I have to hand it to Sonic. If it was me, I probably would have just let the bastard fall of the edge. Sonic was never like that, deep down, he was a big softy.
So Shadow still retained his status as an Under-boss, which meant he (and three others) had nobody to answer to except for Eggman. He proved to be a great ally, but it was very strange seeing him after all these years.

"So... t-the gang has resurfaced?" Tails asked, trembling.
"Yes, which is why I'm here to warn you"
"About what?" I was getting more and more nervous.
"There is going to be a heist tonight at the Station Square Museum of Natural History"
I calmed down just a little. I though it was going to be much worse, like they were going to assassinate the Mayor or something.
"So, all these years in hiding, and all they come up with is a heist at the Museum? Lame!"
"Hmph, you don't understand, Sonic. If it were just a heist, I wouldn't have bothered to come... it is what they are going to steal that's the major problem!"
"Oh, what are they gonna steal, a stupid painting or something?"
"...The Chaos Emerald"
"WHAT?!" we all yelled in unison.
"Indeed, that is why I've come to tell you... you have to stop them from getting that Emerald!"

There are seven, just seven. Each emerald is worth more than all of the world's currency put together. There is on at the Museum. It is a golden emerald that shimmers an eerily beautiful light. Legend had it, that it could control electricity, which was a bunch of bull. What wasn't bull, was it's value. I wasn't going to let Eggman have it. Who knows what he would do with all that wealth. I shuddered at the thought.

"I'd better go now, the others are going to wonder where I am. I suggest not being too conspicuous. Don't wear your detective uniform, go as pedestrians. The Museum is holding a celebration there tonight, because it is the 25th year the Emerald has been on display. They are going to attack during that party. Good bye, and good luck!"
and with that, he left.
"That is a really ballsy move, stealing something in front of hundreds of people!"
"Well, Sonic, that will prove more difficult for you and Knuckles"
"How?"
"Well, you can't go shooting up the place with that many civilians! They probably did this on purpose!"
"Well, I guess we'll have to look around that! We have to go to the Museum tonight!"
"Oh, Sonic! That's a great idea, how did you know I wanted to go there tonight?"
Amy and Cream had just walked in the door.
"A-Amy! I... "
"You don't have to say it, you wanted it to be a surprise and I walked in on you guys talking about it. That's why you sent me and Cream downstairs, isn't it?"
"Amy, it might be d-"
"It would be cool if the other's joined us? Oh, Sonic, you have the best ideas!"
Sonic looked at me with a helpless look on his face. I shrugged at him, I didn't know how to handle it.
"Amy... fine! We'll all go to the Museum tonight!"
I looked at him in disbelief. It will be dangerous there, and he's taking his girl on a date? That had to be the dumbest thing he had ever done.
"Why don't you and Cream get ready, and come back here at six-thirty?"
"Okay! Come on, Cream, we have some shopping to do!"
Amy grabbed Cream by the arm and almost dragged her out.
"Sonic, you are putting her in danger!"
"It'll be okay, Knuckles! It will be our cover! And the second there is danger I'll put her somewhere safe!"
"Well, I guess it'll be fine"
"Thank you, Knuckles, if I didn't let her go... well, I'd rather be surrounded by everyone in the Robotnic Gang then piss her off!"
"I hear that! Now... I'm going to bed before we go!"
"Okay, I'll come wake you up when it's time to go!"
"Thank you" I said, heading for the door.
I went downstairs to the fourth-floor, and went into my apartment. I got undressed, and went to sleep.

I woke up to Sonic standing on the bed leaning right over me.
"Wake up, Sleeping Beauty!"
Half awake, I punched him in the face. He flew off the bed and started yelling.
"What was that for?!"
"You scared the hell out of me, dick!"
"Well, sorry, but it's time to get up... it's already six-twenty five"
"What?! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?"
I jumped out of bed and ran for the door.
"Knuckles, wait!"
"What do you want? We need to hurry up and get upstairs!"
"Well, are you just wearing your boxers to the Museum?"
"What?"
I looked down and saw that I was just wearing my boxers. A middle-aged cat lady down the hall was staring straight at me. She winked at me and giggled like a school girl.
"Sorry, lady... I just woke up and I'm in a rush"
"Oh, don't apologize, I don't mind at all!"
The lady was violating me with her eyes, and I felt very uncomfortable. I slowly walked back into my apartment and looked in my closet for some clothes. Sonic looked out in the hallway and saw the lady.
"Tell your friend he can come over whenever if he wants a good time!"
Sonic burst out laughing.
"Okay, lady, will do!"
Sonic shut the door and laughed even harder.
"Freaking cradle-robber! she's like, twice your age! Hahaha!"
"Very funny, Sonic... now let's head out!"
Sonic opened the door, and we headed out (I double checked to see if I had all of my clothes on).
"So long, cutie pie!" yelled the cat lady.
"Oh, God help me" I muttered.
"Come on, Knuckles, your girlfriend was talking to you!"
"Shut up!"
I punched Sonic in the side, but he was still laughing.

"Oh, Sonic! You look so sexy with that tux on!" squealed Amy as we walked through the door.
"Yeah, Sonic! You great, big, hunk of a man!" I said, sarcastically.
He snickered and gave me a shove.
"Okay, let's go we're gonna be late!" Amy yelled.
"Umm, Amy?" Cream said very quietly.
"What?"
"Tails isn't going to the Museum, and I want to keep him company... so you guys go without us!"
I looked over at Tails and his cheeks were ruby red, he was smiling from ear to ear.
"Okay, that's fine... Sonic, let's go! We'll see you two later!"
Before I left I winked at Tails and gave him a thumbs up. He finally asked Cream out, our little fox-boy is all grown up.

The Museum was packed, not a good thing. This would make it very hard to stop whoever Eggman sent to take the Chaos Emerald. Sonic didn't seem too nervous... he was too busy making out with Amy. I do have to admit, I envy their relationship. I wish I had a girl to love and hold onto.
I quickly called Tails.
"We're at the Museum, what do we do now?"
"Just sit tight, stay close to the Emerald!"
"Copy that!"
I had always wanted to say that.
I looked over and saw that I lost Sonic and Amy.
"Great, where did they go now?"
I looked around the room for them, and they were nowhere to be found.
"This is just perfect!"
I walked to the next room and there they were. They were sitting in front of a painting of two hedgehogs kissing on a ship on a starry night. Amy's head was leaning on Sonic's shoulder, and Sonic's arm was wrapped around her.
"Oh, Sonic, they remind me of us!"
"Yeah, except I wouldn't be caught dead on a ship!"
"You and your fear of water!"
I loudly cleared my throat, they both looked at me.
"Sonic, we're supposed to be watching the Chaos Emerald!"
"Sorry, Knuckles, I got side tracked. I was lost in Amy's beautiful eyes"
"Oh, Sonic! You're gonna make me blush!"
"Come on, Sonic!"
"Okay, okay fine! But what are the chances that they will attack in the next five minutes.
It wasn't three seconds after he said that, that an entire wall of the Museum exploded.
It was an awful sight, people were sent flying back. They looked like rag dolls that somebody threw across the room. Some were running around on fire, while others lay on the ground, motionless.
I saw two figures walking through the blaze.
Of coarse it had to be them.
Jet the Hawk and Storm the Albatross. They were both Under-bosses, the same rank as Shadow. Jet was a sick and twisted little birdie. He got a kick out of torturing his victims before he killed them. Storm was extremely strong, and was as dumb as he was ugly; and believe me, he was as ugly as it gets.

They both walked up to the Emerald's case, and Storm broke the glass and took it.
"Shit! There taking the Emerald Sonic! I can't get a good shot either, there are too many people!"
Sonic grabbed Amy and threw he in a supply closet.
"You stay right here where you're safe! Don't you dare move from this spot!"
He slammed the door and locked it.
"You go around back and confront Storm, leave Jet to me!"
Sonic always had a deep hatred for Jet.
"Sounds good, be careful!"
"You too!"
With that, we went our separate ways.

I saw Storm go out of an Emergency Exit. I followed him out. I found myself in a dark alley.
"This doesn't feel right" I thought to myself as I walked down the narrow alley.
I saw Storm at the end of the alley (I'm amazed that he actually fit). Now the idiot was trapped between me and the wall.
I slowely walked up to him, took my gun out of my pocket, and pointed it at his head.
"If you still want your head, I suggest that you put the Chaos Emerald down!"
He jumped in fear and turned around.
"Kn-Knuckles! How the hell did you get here? How did you know?"
"I have my ways! Now, drop the Emerald now!"
"Haha, it looks like I came here just in time!"
That was Jet's voice, I could recognize his high-pitched annoying voice anywhere.
I could feel his gun barely touching my neck.
"You and your stupid partner have been a thorn in my side for far too long. First, I'm gonna splatter your brains all over the wall. Then, I'll be going after that annoying hedgehog and know-it-all fox!"
Well, great. Just freakin', awesome! How was I gonna get out of this jam? I thought I had sung my swan song, when my best friend came to my rescue.
"If you don't drop your gun, you're gonna know what it feels like to be a chicken with its head blown off!"
"Well, well, well, if it isn't Sonic! Nice of you to join the party!"
"Shut up, you freak! Drop your gun, or I swear I'll kill you!"
"I doubt that!" echoed a voice.
"Shadow! What are you doing here? This is our mission, not yours!" yelled Jet.
"Well, it doesn't look like your mission is going very well... so I decided to help!"
I heard a click, then something landed between my feet. It was a metal ball.
The ball started spraying an odd-smelling gas from the top of it.
I started coughing and gagging, I couldn't breathe.
The last thing I remember was I fell to the ground. I looked over, and Sonic was on the ground too, his body motionless...