Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Forgotten Fables ❯ Confessions of another Nature ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not, unfortunately, own Spirited Away, its origin, characters, or anything else for that matter. All rights belong to its creator, Hayao Miyazaki, and Studio Ghibli. I claim only meager rights to my creations, and the plot behind this point of fiction.
 
Chapter 1: Confessions of another Nature
 
It was amazing how teachers could drone on, for what seemed like an eternity, and then expect you to retain the material they had flooded your mind with. That, was probably the reason that note taking was so essential. Otherwise, good marks would never have been achievable in the slightest. I sighed, and shoved the books away from my weary eyes. I had been like this for hours, hunched over my sporadic display of scribbles and textbooks that covered every surface of my desk. My body was stiff, my head was throbbing, and I was sure that I could not cram another fact in my over-filled brain. The last push before exams was always excruciating.
 
Slowly, I pushed myself away from my desk. It was late and if I didn't get some sort of sleep, I would pay for it tomorrow. Tomorrow, the thought brought with it both a feeling of dread and anticipation. Why exams had to fall on my birthday, I did not know. In my mind it was the worst possible way to start such an occasion, but Seiji had promised to make it up to me. Of course he hadn't elaborated on how. Pleasantly diverted, I lay down on my futon. Seiji had been one of the first people to befriend me after we had moved here. I remember being afraid of going somewhere new, and leaving all my old friends behind. Somehow, that had changed. I don't know what had happened to inspire such a dramatic shift in my perspective, but whatever it had been, had been for the best. I was sure of that, but, it was still strange. When I thought about that long ago day, and driving away from everything I had known. I had the distinct feeling that I had forgotten something. I knew it was absurd, but it was always there.
 
There was no point in puzzling over it now, though. If I could not remember seven years ago, I would certainly not remember now. The thought of being seventeen made me smile and I switched off the lamp beside my bed. Snuggled beneath my covers, I tried to conjure up just what sort of surprises I would be in store for. My mind was not up to the task, however, and after a few minutes I felt myself drift into sleep.
 
 
I awoke to the insistent buzz of my alarm. The last figments of a dream slipped away, and I was left with the harsh morning light as it streamed through my window. I buried my face into my pillow with the intent of acquiring just a few more minutes of sleep.
 
“Chihiro, are you up?” I groaned at the voice that spoke to me through my closed door.
 
“Yeah…” I answered.
 
“Breakfast is ready, so hurry up and get dressed.” I could hear my mother's distinct shuffle as she turned away from my door. I turned onto my back and tried to summon the willpower to remove myself from the comforts of bed.
 
“Your father is waiting for you.” My mother called from the hall. She must have suspected that I would not be apt to rise at an appropriate time this morning. So she had dangled the proper bait. Usually my father would have already gone by this time. In following this train of thought, he, still being here meant that I had a present waiting for me. I flung the covers off and shivered slightly in the chill air, as I swapped my bed clothes for my uniform. I was far from presentable as I opened my bedroom door, and rushed to the kitchen.
 
“Where is it?” My father looked up at me, momentarily forgetting the newspaper in his hands.
 
“Chihiro, could you have at least dressed properly?” My mother interjected. So, my shirt was a little wrinkled and not tucked in properly. It would only take a minute to fix.
 
“I didn't want dad to be late, so I hurried.” I hastily answered. My mother let out a small sigh but let the matter drop.
 
“You might as well give it to her.” She encouraged before turning back to her cooking. My father smiled and extended an envelope out to me.
 
“Happy birthday, Chihiro.”
 
I smiled in return and gratefully accepted the proffered envelope. I had not the slightest clue as to what to expect, and was in complete shock as two tickets fell into my hand. They were not just any tickets either, but were third row seats to the Sliver concert coming up. The elation that I felt could not be put into words. I rushed around the table and threw my arms around my father's neck.
 
“Thank you, daddy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” My father laughed at me and kindly disentangled himself.
 
“If I had known you would be so happy over this gift, your mother and I would not have gotten you the other.” I stared at him in disbelief.
 
“What, there's more?” I had not expected to be so spoiled. My father nodded and I turned to see my mother set a small beautifully wrapped box on the table. Slowly, I reached for this second gift, and un-wrapped it with the care I had not shown the envelope. What lay inside was an expertly crafted necklace. A tiny dragon was coiled around, what seemed to be, a black gemstone. I met my parent's gazes much more subdued.
 
“Do you not like it?” My mother asked immediately.
 
“No, that's not it, it is just…” I couldn't seem to find the words to adequately describe what I was feeling.
 
“The old woman we purchased this from assured us that it was a very popular design with the young girls.” My father frowned. “We can take it back if you do not like it.” He politely offered. I was horrified at the suggestion.
 
“No! I like it, it's just that I don't think I am deserving of such a gift.”
 
“Is that all?” My mother smiled, relieved. “Chihiro, why don't you let us decide whether or not you are deserving of such things.” She chastised me gently.
 
“I'm sorry, thank you very much.”
 
“Smile Chihiro, that's what we want to see.” My father patted my head. “Do well today.” That being said, he retrieved his jacket and briefcase.
 
“I'm off.” My mother smiled and handed him the bento she had prepared. I watched silently a moment but soon felt my eyes drawn back to the necklace in my hand.
 
“Would you like me to put it on?” My mother asked coming beside me.
 
“Yes, please.” I handed her the necklace and held up my hair as she clasped it around my neck.
 
“Very nice, now, hurry and finish getting ready or you'll be late.” I looked up at the clock and realized to my horror that that was more than likely. I bolted from the kitchen and so began the chaotic series of events that would constitute my morning. My earlier trepidation over my second gift was completely forgotten in the hustle. The thing that was foremost in my thoughts was not being late on exam day. The consequences if I were, I did not even want to dwell on it. Everything was a blur as I tidied my uniform, threw my hair up in its customary ponytail, and stuffed my bag full of needed items. My mind barely registered my mother's farewell as I ran out the front door.
 
I sprinted down familiar streets that I usually took at a leisure pace, veering around those who were already about. I had a few almost collisions. I was sure that I would hear about my rudeness later, when my conduct would reach the ears of my parents. I would gladly face whatever would be in store for me as long as I made it in time. My legs began to burn as I pushed myself, and yet it seemed to be in vain. It felt as though I had barely covered any ground at all. Where was that damn school building? It had never taking this long to get there before. Perhaps this was some sort of a practical joke that the gods played on poor unsuspecting souls. If so, I did not find it funny at all. Please, I silently prayed. Please. Please. Please.
 
Someone must have decided to show this mortal mercy, or they had simply found that I was not worth the effort. Whichever, I was full of gratitude as I rounded the corner and beheld the antiquated building that was my school. I did not slow as I approached but rather sped up, if that was even possible. There was an alarming lack of stragglers and I knew that I was minutes away from being late. I kicked my shoes off as I entered the building, and hurriedly swapped them. Just a few more seconds, I chanted silently sprinting down the halls. My classroom door was in sight, and I was sure that they could hear me coming. I grabbed the door jam to help propel myself inside just as the tardy bell rang. I had made it, I couldn't believe my luck. I leaned against the wall, breathing in gasps, as I desperately tried to catch my breath.
 
“Ms. Ogino.” I looked up into the stern face of Imura-sensei and swallowed.
 
“Yes, ma'am?” My voice was breathless and I blushed slightly.
 
“If you would be so kind as to take your seat, we could begin.” I felt my blush deepen.
 
“Yes, ma'am.” With as much decorum as I could muster, I took my seat, and tried to ignore the looks that Chiyo and Sakura sent my direction. I might as well have been trying to dodge bullets for all it mattered. It wasn't until now that I realized that I had left my bento at home. I sighed, hoping that this was just a small string of bad luck, and not an indication of how the rest of my day would follow.
 
 
Gratefully, I stepped out into the waiting sunshine. The warm light was invigorating, and the haggard haze over my mind began to clear. My relief was palpable, and I smiled, unable to contain my excitement any longer.
 
“Someone's happy.” Sakura intoned. I gave a side long glance to the tall skinny girl beside me.
 
“Well, how can I not be? It is my birthday.” She snorted in reply, and had I not known that she was slightly miffed, I would have laughed. It was not a sound you would normally expect to come from such a figure.
 
“Yeah, and you're ditching us to spend the whole day with Seiji.” Chiyo added.
It would seem that I would not escape unscathed from ruining my friends' plans.
 
“It's not like that.” I began.
 
“Oh?” Sakura interrupted stopping to turn towards me. She took full advantage of those few inches she had.
 
“I'm not ditching you, and it's not for the whole day.” I began again.
 
“Oh, well that makes a difference.”
 
“It does, if you would let me finish.” I stared at Sakura and waited to see if she had anything else to add. When she didn't I took the opportunity given to quickly explain the situation.
 
“Seiji asked me a few days ago if I had had any plans for my birthday. I told him that I didn't have any, as of yet, and he hurriedly begged me for a few hours today. I warned him that you guys probably had some gross extravagance planned and would not be happy at the interruption. He said it was very important and he promised to not keep me long.” I sighed, and Sakura frowned.
 
“What was so important?” She asked.
 
“I don't know. All that he would tell me was that he wanted to take me somewhere special.” I frowned slightly; perhaps it would have been better if I had pressed him for just a little more information. On the other hand, he had looked quite desperate, and what kind of friend would I be if I ruined a surprise. I was brought out of my thoughts by a firm smack to my forehead.
 
“What!” It was my turn to be irritated as I looked up at Sakura. She smiled.
 
“If you weren't so rude you wouldn't have to ask.” I rolled my eyes.
 
“I'm sorry.” My tone spoke volumes.
 
“Really Chihiro, such manners, I can't believe that you have the audacity to be so disrespectful. Especially to an elder, what would your parents say?” I almost choked.
 
“Elder? You think that a couple of months are enough…”
 
“The amount of time is of no consequence. What matters is that I was born first and so proper respect is due.” I glared at, who I considered at this moment, my would-be friend.
 
“Of course, please forgive my offense, and allow me to show the proper attitude for one of your stature.” I balled up my fist and was about to punch Sakura in the arm when I was pushed from behind.
 
“Stop it! You too, Sakura.” Chiyo ordered. “You've completely missed the point we should be discussing.”
 
“What is that?” This came out sharper than I had intended it to, but Chiyo ignored it and answered without hesitation.
 
“Seiji is taking you, all by yourself, to somewhere special.”
 
“Yeah, so, you guys take me places all the time.” I didn't understand what the big deal was. They had been friends with me just as long as Seiji had.
 
“We're not male.” Sakura interjected.
 
“And you're going to be all by yourself.” Chiyo reiterated.
 
“You guys are paranoid. Seiji is my friend, and has been since I moved here, just like you.” I reminded them.
 
“Maybe Seiji doesn't want to be friends anymore.” I stared at Chiyo as the implication of her words sank in.
 
“You're crazy.” Chiyo smiled.
 
“Am I?” I definitely did not like the way this conversation was turning. Today was my birthday, why did they have to jump to silly conclusions?
 
“Yes, you are completely crazy, and there's no way.”
 
“Why? Seiji is pretty cute, and you've improved quite a bit as well. So what's the big deal if he likes you?” I glared at Sakura.
 
“What do you mean by improved, and as far as I am concerned there is no liking.” I crossed my arms. Sakura smiled and I knew she was about to unleash some particularly nasty comment. Chiyo however took us both by surprise.
 
“You mean you're going to reject him.” She was wide eyed and her face was full of sympathy for the yet to be injured.
 
“No…”
 
“So you're going to say yes?” Sakura interjected.
 
“No!” This was getting out of hand.
 
“Chiro, this is no time to be fickle and play with a man's heart!” Chiyo scolded. I was becoming exasperated.
 
“I'm not, and don't call me that!” This was not the time for pet names.
 
“Don't be so unfair. Chiyo doesn't deserve to take the brunt of your frustration.” Sakura patted Chiyo's shoulder consolingly. “It's probably a good thing that she is getting a boyfriend.” She said conspiratorially to the shorter girl.
 
“I am not!” I denied for what felt like the umpteenth time. Both girls looked at me with smiles that gave me the chills.
 
“We'll see.” Sakura replied. I was about to make another comment in my defense when she shushed me.
 
“If you're going to reject someone at least have the decency to do it in private.” She whispered to me. I froze. I was not yet ready to see the subject of our conversation.
 
“Hello, Seiji.” I thought she said that a little too sweetly.
 
“Sakura, Chiyo.” This was the first time that I wished myself miles away from my three childhood friends. “Hey Chihiro.” Was it me or did he say that a little breathless? I counted silently to ten and quickly glanced up at the boy beside me.
 
“Hey.” It was all I could do under the weighted glances of my two supposed best friends. An awkward silence ensued and I waited impatiently for it to be broken. Seconds ticked by and I fidgeted in the uncomfortable quiet. Would no one save me from this, because I could not think of a single thing to say to save myself? Finally, Sakura saw it in her heart to do the right thing, or that was what I had thought.
 
“Well, I guess we should leave you to your outing.” Her face lit up with a smile as she met my gaze. “Remember Chihiro, as soon as you're finished come to Chiyo's.” She said it as if I was some sort of disobedient child. I resisted the urge to make a face and thus prove what her tone implied.
 
“Chiro, I want all the details.” Chiyo wagged her finger at me and I blushed. I couldn't help it, they were absolutely embarrassing. Sakura laughed.
 
“Alright Chiyo, let's go. Bye Seiji.” With a wink she turned on her heel and walked away from us.
“Good luck.” Chiyo giggled and followed after Sakura. At long last, and yet too soon, I was left alone with Seiji. Somehow, my birthday was not shaping up to what I had expected, but it really couldn't get any worse, could it? I snuck a look at my silent companion. Expecting an inquisitive glance aimed my direction. I was surprised to find the exact opposite. That was weird. Seiji was not a clueless person. I would have thought, that he would have caught on to the undertone that Sakura and Chiyo had meant for him to pick up on. He said nothing though and only stared after the two retreating figures. Perhaps he was ignoring the ridiculousness that had been conjured up, not wanting it to spoil the rest of my day. Yes, that definitely had to be it. Seiji was such a good friend.
 
“Do you want to go?” I asked breaking the silence. Seiji continued to stare as if I had said nothing. I shoved him.
 
“Hey, are you just going to sit there and space out?” That got his attention and he turned a furrowed brow my direction.
 
“What?”
 
I stared, was he irritated?
 
“Um, sorry.” I managed after a second. “Do you want to go?” I repeated.
 
“Yeah, let's go.” That being said he went in the direction that Sakura and Chiyo had just gone. I quickly followed. What was wrong? Had I done something to upset him, or had it been Sakura and Chiyo? I seemed to be missing a lot today. It would appear that no amount of thought would give me the clue I needed to unravel this puzzle. My mind was too fried from the day's exams. I sighed.
 
“Seiji?” He kept walking. I reached out and grabbed his arm.
 
“Seiji…” He jumped at my touch and I let my hand fall back to my side. He probably thought I was being very forward, and I didn't want to give him the wrong impression. He looked down at me, his dark eyes unreadable.
 
“I'm sorry if I upset you.” I mumbled. Sakura was right; he was pretty cute with his dark silky hair that constantly fell in his eyes, and his lean build. I guess I really had never noticed before. In my minds eye I always saw that small boy from seven years ago. Maybe that was it, my inattention to the fact that the little boy was all grown up.
 
“Chihiro.” This time it was my turn to jump as his soft timbre pulled me from my thoughts.
 
“Sorry.” I apologized again.
 
“Please, just come with me.” There it was that same desperate look. “I need you to come with me.” He added. It was as if everything relied upon what I decided, and I didn't want to disappoint him.
 
“Of course.” I smiled, and that seemed to satisfy. He immediately turned around and began leading the way again. I followed quietly, happy that whatever had been bothering him was not an issue any longer. Seiji wasn't in a talkative mood and so I kept my mouth shut. This was extremely difficult, especially when we turned onto the street that led to my house. Was he taking me back home? Was there no surprise after all? Was he still upset? There were too many questions and I bit my lip anxiously. I would know in a few minutes. We passed the tan house than the white, the green, the brown, the mauve, now the yellow. Next was mine, the blue house on the corner. For a moment I was reminded of that car ride, when we had spied our new home from the road far below. It passed though, as quickly as we passed my house. Where were we going?
 
Seiji's pace quickened and I had to half jog to keep up with his stride. I expected him to turn right, to go down the small lane that led to the next street up. He didn't. He kept going straight and that's when I realized that we were going into the forest. I stopped looking hopelessly at my uniform. I really wasn't dressed for hiking. Seiji noticed that I wasn't right behind him.
 
“Chihiro.”
 
“Are we really going in there?” I asked even though I was pretty sure that that was our destination.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well, can I at least go back to my house and change…”
 
“No!” I stared at him. Had he really just yelled at me? Four steps and he was standing directly in front of me.
 
“Chihiro, please don't ruin my surprise. We have to go now.” I crossed my arms.
 
“You didn't have to yell at me. All you had to do was say so in the first place.” I admonished.
 
“Are you done?” He asked.
 
“Apologize, and I will be.” Seiji frowned down at me.
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“That wasn't so…” I wasn't able to finish due to the fact that I was suddenly pulled forward. Apparently he was not going to tolerate any more delays. Still the pace he set was a little to fast for one who was being towed from behind. The majority of my concentration was put in not falling face first and disgracing myself. I did note, however, as we entered the tree line that we were on a small worn path. Had I not been walking on it I wouldn't have known it was there, for the undergrowth had not been cut back in some time. I stumbled onward my eyes firmly on the ground. We walked and walked and walked. Soon I had lost track of all time. How much farther? I was about to ask for a break when I crashed into Seiji's halted form.
 
“Aw.” He let go of my arm and I stepped back a little to get my bearings, and see just where the hell we were. My mouth dropped in amazement. What lay before me was a perfect display of nature's artistry. It was only a small clearing but everything had been articulated in such a manner that you wondered if you were still on the mortal plain. Of course the blanket that was sprawled across the grass with a basket on it, and a curiously wrapped package were a dead give away of the contrary. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was looking at something beyond what human eyes should see. Seiji was staring at me with a keen expression.
 
“Wow.” I finally managed. I did not know what else to say, nor did I know what to expect now. I had not failed to notice that this was an extremely romantic setting for just friends. Seiji continued to stare at me, and this unnerved me further. So I walked into the clearing and put a bit of space between us. My legs felt like jello after the long trek and the blanket looked invitingly soft. Oh how I wanted to sit. I slipped my bag from my shoulders and let it drop to the ground. My eyes fell onto the basket, and I began to wonder just what sort of goodies were inside when I was grabbed from behind. I froze as Seiji's arms encircled my shoulders.
 
“Chihiro.” I could feel his breathe on my neck. “I have to tell you, I can't keep it a secret any longer.” I swallowed.
 
“Seiji…”
 
“No, please listen. Please let me tell you.” He said it in the same desperate tone. This time however it frightened me. Seiji was never this direct. I had never been confessed to but, I was pretty sure that this was not how it happened. I was beginning to regret being so trusting, regret following him into the depths of this forest without anyone's knowledge.
 
“Chihiro, I like you. I've liked you for so long.” He bent his head down and his lips touched my ear. “I just want to be with you.”
 
I swallowed again.
 
“Seiji, um, I, you're my friend.” The words tumbled from my mouth. I didn't know what else to say. That was what he was, and I had never felt anything different. I was sure that I wouldn't feel anything different. There was a sharp intake of breathe and then silence. Absolute dead silence, shouldn't there be some sort of noise in the background? Some sort of sign of the life from the insects and animals that lived here? I stared at the trees before me. There was nothing, no sound, no movement, not even a gentle breeze. A chill crept down my spine.
 
“Please let me go.” I whispered. The seconds ticked by in my head.
 
Ten. Twenty. Thirty. Crack. I jumped at the sudden noise.
 
“No.” All the warmth drained from my body.
 
“What?” This couldn't possibly be happening. I had to be dreaming. I was going to wake up. I was going to be at home, in my bed.
 
“No. I'm going to prove my love to you, Chihiro.” The words reverberated in my mind and I could not believe them.
 
 
 
A/N: It is my son's birthday this weekend, so I would not expect the next chapter until early this coming week. Sorry, and thank you for reading my little story.