Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Forgotten Fables ❯ Dragon ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I must apologize for the lapse of time between updates. We had our annual music festival, and I was in charge of the volunteer staff among other things. I thought that perhaps I would be able to get this uploaded before the festival had started, but was mistaken. I promise that this will not happen again. Now that I am free from such obligations I can continue on without interruption! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and for all your comments.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
Disclaimer: I do not, unfortunately, own Spirited Away, its origin, characters, or anything else for that matter. All rights belong to its creator, Hayao Miyazaki, and Studio Ghibli. I claim only meager rights to my creations, and the plot behind this point of fiction.
 
 
Chapter 3: Dragon
 
 
The sensation of something brushing across my cheek is what initially drew me from my state of unconsciousness. I groaned in irritation and started to turn away from the annoyance. This was prevented by the sudden wave of pain that shot through my head. I gave a small outcry, and lay very still. Now fully awake the events of today flooded my mind. Fear, which had become a close companion, reasserted itself. I listened for a moment but heard nothing but my own breathing. Wait, there was the rustle of leaves, and I felt the breeze as it blew across my face. There were other noises as well. What I thought, was the normal chatter of forest life. Slowly, I opened my eyes. Branches gently swayed above me and light streamed through the openings they left. I had no recollection of this place. Last night? I had fallen on hard packed dirt littered with dead leaves. This was not where I was now.
 
Now, I was lying in soft tall grass. I looked around me, careful not to move my head too much, but found nothing I would deem out of the ordinary. What had happened to the demon? I shuddered involuntarily at the vision of those eyes. It wasn't like it had had a change of heart. Did demons even have hearts? Regardless, and back to the point, I was pretty sure that I was still on the docket as choice cuisine. That thought, and the ones it conjured, made me feel sick to my stomach. It wouldn't be wise to just sit here and find out. Of course I could just be playing into its hands. Why did I have to have such an overactive imagination? Playing my own devil's advocate was not always a good thing, and in this situation it only accomplished a feeling of helplessness. I let out the breath I had been holding. I was damned either way following this train of thought. So, I could stay and be eaten, or go and be eaten.
 
I decided that leaving would be for the best. For wasn't a moving target harder to hit? I hoped so. Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself and sat up. I expected the stabbing pain this time, but that didn't make it any less painful. The world around me was not stable and I had a sneaky suspicion that walking was going to be an issue. If only I had something cold. I brought my knees beneath me and waited for the throbbing to subside. This time it had been accompanied by nausea. I bit my lip and willed it away. This was not a good start. Perhaps, moving was not such a good idea. I rested my head on my knees and took a few even consecutive breaths. Maybe, I would be alright if I remained here for just a bit longer. I didn't feel the same pressing need to flee as I had last night. Not to mention, that the forest did not hold the stillness of a nearby predator as it had previously. Yes, just a bit longer.
 
A boom thundered in the not so far distance. Its reverberations vibrated in the ground around me. What had once been the soft chatter of life rose in volume. The noise was definitely coming my way, meaning that I was in the direct path of the pursuer, and the fleeing. For what else could have made such an earth shuddering noise, if not a predator. I had to move. The urge had suddenly seized me. I was in danger, not the same as last night, but danger none the less. Steeling myself, I sat up. The world about me swayed and I retched. The sounds of pursuit were reaching an alarming state, and the breaking of boughs was distinct. Whatever rampaged through the woods would find me in minutes. I moved forward onto my hands and knees. A whimper escaped my lips as I did so.
 
Come on, Chihiro. I urged myself. One hand at a time I began to move forward. My fingers clenched the dirt and grass beneath them, trying in vain to keep me steady. It was for not. Sharp pain battered my head, and I could feel a hefty amount of discomfort coming from my abdominal area as well. I stumbled forward, loosing my grip and the contents of my stomach in the process. A twig snapped somewhere to the left of me. Grass and air brushed over me as creatures whizzed by. I had not the strength to look up. All of my remaining energy had been put into pulling me away from my pool of vomit. I clutched the earth beneath me, desperately seeking some sort of anchor in this spinning world of mine. It was through this that I felt the quakes of my doom. The force of it shook me violently and then ceased entirely. The sudden stillness spoke volumes, and I shivered. The feeling of being caught beneath a dominant observance was overwhelming. My fear fought with the ludicrous need within to see what would be my end. Fear lost.
 
I turned my head ever so slightly with painstaking slowness. A cold wave swept through me as I was subjected to the last shock I would ever feel. Of all the ways, of all the things, I would never have envisioned that this would be the cause of my death. Towering above me was a colossus. Sinewy tendons stretched over an immense bone structure, which in turn was covered by russet toned scales that were offset by a golden hue. The latter was that much more visible in the stream of daylight that shimmered down upon them. Webbing of a darker color hung relaxed between the fore legs and its solar plexus. Following this line of sight, I could not help but notice the wickedly curved claws that were too close for comfort. Quickly, I looked away before my mind could begin to run wild with depictions of what those claws would do if they pierced my flesh. It was funny how, even when faced with the inevitable you could still hold limply onto denial.
 
There was no way that I would survive this. I was staring at death itself. His majestic head towered above me, crowned with perfectly placed horns of various sizes. Slight gold eyes considered me; it wasn't until the beast pulled back its jowls revealing its pride of sharp incisors that I felt the dampness of tears. A dragon, something that should have remained in the legends of gods and spirits, but hadn't. I wondered, briefly, just what I had done to deserve such a hand of fate, and reconsidered. What good would such thoughts do me? Would the gods look kindly on such cowardice at the end? I had never been one of devout faith but neither did I want to bring dishonor to my family. Their faces came to me now. My mother, father, Chiyo, Sakura, Seiji…
 
A snort broke the imagery before me, and I stared in panic at the reptilian like head that hovered inches over my own. I wanted to scream but couldn't. The jowls pulled back a second time filling my sight with the horrors that they kept. A gust of hot moist breath filled my nostrils, reminiscent of the smell of soil and some other unidentifiable spice. I coughed as my lungs filled with it and began to burn. Spots appeared in my vision, and then once again I succumbed to blackness.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
Higoshi Seiji
 
I could not stop myself from seeing the tortured expression that had been Chihiro's. It haunted me like nothing else ever had. The look in her eyes, the sound of her panicked footsteps as she fled from me, her friend. It would remain to be seen if I could continue to even call her such, that is, if I lived past tonight. I had disgraced myself, shamed her, and violated a much treasured trust. It did not matter that I had not been completely myself that I had been under the influence of an amanojaku. I had been careless. I had realized too late the lies, and the truth of the ghost stories about this forest. What a fool I had been, and now the person I held dearest above all others would pay for it.
 
Chihiro…
 
Once again I struggled, but it was in vain. Whatever spell the demon had cast to immobilize me would not be undone. I lay in the shroud of night ensured to be here when the demon returned. For my sins, I reasoned that this was a fair judgment for one such as me, but I prayed that the gods would have mercy upon the girl who had been lured. Please let her be alright. As if in mockery a scream echoed from far off. Pain filled my chest and I strained against my invisible bonds. An enraged cry broke from my lips as I was met with the same result as all my previous attempts. I continued on in such a state until I had completely exhausted myself. Sweat dripped down my brow and my breath came in ragged gasps. I did nothing, thought nothing; I simply stared at the silhouette of the trees above my prone form.
 
How long I stayed like this I could not be certain. In the silence it could have been hours or minutes, it was impossible to tell. I simply waited. I did not want to consider the implications behind the scream. Nor did I want to face the fresh wave of pain they would inspire. At some point I drifted into sleep and my subconscious was most cruel.
 
I watched mildly curious as Mr. Oshida meticulously wrote a name on the black board. Having finished he turned to address us.
 
“We have a new student. I would like you all to make her feel welcome.”
 
Mr. Oshida turned towards the door.
 
“Please come in.”
 
The door slid open and in shuffled a girl with brown hair and eyes.
 
“I'm Ogino Chihiro, and I am very pleased to make your acquaintance.”
 
I smiled as she nervously fidgeted with her uniform. At first glance you would not describe her as cute, but there was something about her that argued the contrary. I knew that I wanted this girl to be my friend.
 
“Miss Ogino, if you would take the seat behind Mr. Higoshi we could get started.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
I had momentarily forgotten that the seat behind me was vacant. I was suddenly excited as I impatiently waited for her to reach her destination. Various students mumbled good morning to her as she passed, which she dutifully acknowledged with her own greeting. Finally she reached my desk and our eyes met briefly before I glanced down. Nervousness had tied my tongue and I had not been able to utter what I had planned. Instead I listened as she settled herself into her seat. I took a deep breath. If I did not say something now, I doubted that I would be able to later. So before I could stop myself, I turned around with my best smile.
 
“Good morning. I'm Higoshi Seiji.”
 
She smiled back at me.
 
“I'm Ogino Chihiro; it's very nice to meet you.”
 
Having said that much I found myself at a loss, and an awkward silence ensued. She looked at me expectantly since I had made no move to turn back around.
 
“Um…”
 
The sudden vision of my mother filled my mind with her insistence of impeccable manners at all times.
 
“Yes?”
 
Chihiro looked at me with a curious expression.
 
“Well, I was just wondering, if maybe it's alright with you, of course…”
 
I took a deep breath.
 
“If you have no objection, I would like to be your first friend here.”
 
The words spilled from my mouth as if my mother had been present and whispering in my ear. I blushed and stared at my hands.
 
“I would like that very much.”
 
I looked up in amazement at her words and she laughed.
 
I was pulled from the visages of sleep, and felt the cruelty that only such a dream could leave. Unwanted tears spilled from my eyes, but I could not stop them. My precarious control had been broken. I partially wished that the amanojaku would return and end my agony.
 
“Boy, why are you crying?”
 
I choked back a sob. A chill swept through me, I was not alone.
 
“Why are you crying?”
 
A high melodic voice asked a second time. I strained to see anything out of the ordinary in the darkness, but could find nothing.
 
“I am not crying.”
 
I finally answered. There was a sudden breeze and I felt something touch my cheek. A hand, I couldn't tell.
 
“You are not crying, but your face is wet.”
 
The brazenness of these words fell on me, and my anguish turned to rage.
 
“What do you care spirit? Or are you a demon!”
 
I was ignored.
 
“It is because of the amanojaku.”
 
A breeze blew across my face, but it felt unnatural.
 
“You need not worry. I will not let the amanojaku harm you.”
 
Not let the amanojaku hurt me? The injustice of these was too much.
 
“If you cared so much about the suffering of others why did you not save Chihiro?”
 
My words tore at me as I screamed them. Fresh tears streamed down my face.
 
“Chihiro?”
 
The voice paused in contemplation and for a moment the rustle of leaves was the only sound.
 
“You speak of the girl.”
 
It was more a statement than a question, but I answered it anyway.
 
“Yes, the girl.”
 
I was more subdued but not civil. If only I was free from this bondage!
 
“She is gone.”
 
Gone? I could not believe it. No, it could not be true!
 
“You lie!”
 
I accused. I would not fall into another crafted trap.
 
“Silly boy, I am not lying.”
 
I knew the words were true as soon as they had been spoken, and it broke my heart. I had never wanted any of this to happen! All I had desired was to tell Chihiro my feelings, nothing more. My anger abandoned me, I felt hallow, and weak.
 
“Why?”
 
The words were barely a whisper, and yet it felt as if I had yelled them in the silence.
 
“Why did she have to die?”
 
“Death has not come to this forest.”
 
Death has not come to the forest. What was that supposed to mean? Why was everything so riddle like? I did not think I could take anymore of this emotional rollercoaster. I would not believe it. I would not cling to false hope.
 
“You doubt me.”
 
I did not answer. My voice was untrustworthy as well as my heart.
 
“Boy.”
 
The wind tickled my ear and I shivered. I could feel nothing tangible beside me, but I knew something was there regardless.
“It is as I have said. No blood has been shed this night.”
 
My mind told me that this was not possible. Logically, there was no way that Chihiro would have been able to stop the amanojaku. It being a demon, and she a human, she had been doomed from the very start. Yet all my quick reasoning could not stop the flicker of hope that cascaded through me.
 
“But…where?”
 
“Of this I am not sure, but she does not dwell here within my forest.”
 
Chihiro was alive! It was all I could think about, this life line that had been put in my grasp. Chihiro…
 
“Boy!”
 
If I could have jumped at the sharp tone that was now directed at me, I would have.
 
“The amanojaku comes.”
 
The comfort I had so eagerly accepted evaporated. I was afraid.
 
“I can free you, but you must wish for me to do so.”
 
There it was. Freedom was such an elusive word. I would be liberated from one thing only to become under the dominance of another. I did not know what this other had planned for me, but I was sure of my future if I was left as I was. Chihiro was alive, and if I wanted to ever see her again, I must do what I could to remain also.
 
“Please break the hold of the spell that keeps me here.”
 
* * * * * * * *
 
A/N: Amanojaku is an oni like demon that is able to provoke a person's darkest desires, and thus instigate them into wicked deeds. I'm sure we will see more of him later. Thank you for reading!
 
P.S. Chapter 4 will be up soon.