Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ I ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: SPIRITED AWAY aka SEN TO CHIHIRO NO KAMIKAKUSHI and its characters are the properties of Hayao Miyazaki. (Although I wish Haku is mine...hehehe) The theme song ITSUMO NANDO DEMO (ALWAYS WITH ME) is a property of Yumi Kimura.

ITSUMO NANDO DEMO

Yondeiru Mune no Dokoka Okude

Itsumo Kokoro Odoru Yume wo Mitai

Kanashimi wa Kazoekirenai kedo

Sono Mukou de Kitto Anata ni Aeru

Kurikaesu Ayamachi no Sonotabi Hito wa

Tada Aoi Sora no Aosa wo Shiru

Hateshinaku Michi wa Tsuzuite Mieru keredo

Kono Ryoute wa Hikari wo Dakeru

Sayonara no Toki no Shizukana Mune

Zero ni Naru Karada ga Mimi mo Sumaseru

Ikiteiru Fushigi Sinde Iku Fusigi

Hana mo Kaze mo Machi mo Minna Onaji

Tojiteiku Omoide no Sono Naka ni Itsumo

Wasure takunai Sasayaki wo Kiku

Konagona ni Kudakareta Kagami no Ue nimo

Atarashii Keshiki ga Utsusareru

Hajimari no Asa Shizuka na Mado

Zero ni Naru Karada Mitasarete Yuke

Umi no Kanata niwa Mou Sagasanai

Kagayaku Mono wa Itsumo Koko ni

Watashi no Naka ni Mitsukerareta Kara

--------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI

--I--

My name is Kohaku...Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi. Some of you might think that it is a name of a god...well, truth be told I AM a god, not a major one but a god nonetheless. My kingdom is called the Kohaku River, which lies beside a small town in Japan.

I am proud to say that my river is beautiful, compared to the others. Its waters are so clear that you can see the bottom through them. The bank is an overwhelming green, with an assortment of flowers growing a few feet away. Besides its beauty, I am also proud to say that my river contributes a lot to the welfare of the humans living near it. I am their main source of water--whether it be for drinking, bathing and such.

Some of you might have heard stories about a dragon living within the waters of the Kohaku River or about a mysterious boy wandering about the river...yes that's right, I am both the dragon and the boy. These are the two forms that I take. I am a dragon by day and a boy by night.

As a river god, I have witnessed a lot of things as well as met many interesting people for centuries. However, there is only one person who sticks out in my mind. She is called Chihiro, a quaint little girl who was spoiled (as most "only child" kids are) and who liked to cry a lot (as most girls are). An ugly little girl she is, often teased by boys and often snubbed by girls. So what makes her so unique, you ask? What caught my attention to her was her intense love for my river. From the moment her parents brought her to this river there is never a day that passes by without her visiting. Somehow, for some reason, I have become a sounding board to her. She tells me everything that happens in her life--how her mother scolded her for breaking her favorite vase; how she hated Haru for popping a chewing gum balloon in her hair; and how she made her first friend, a new girl in class named Elie.

I admit, it feels rather good to be considered a friend. Heh, she even had a cute (a term I rarely use) nickname for me...

_____________

"What a pretty river, mommy! What is it called?"

"It's the Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi, Chihiro."

"Nigaha..."

"Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi."

The girl looks at me...or rather, my river...with her shining dark eyes. "Nigaha...um...can I just call you 'Haku'?"

Haku...I never want anyone calling me anything other than my real name...but I think in this case I'll make an exception.

_____________

You know, everytime she talks to me I feel very much tempted to speak to her in return. I even wanted to show myself to her. However, I refrain myself from doing so as it is against the rules and that she might be frightened.

...but who knows? Perhaps one day I will.

* * *

It is an ordinary Saturday afternoon, and as usual I am making my daily rounds across the whole of the river. It is a rather boring job, if I may say so myself, because there was nothing unique happening--a few children swimming, a few men fishing with their wives doing their laundry. The only consolation I have is the thought of seeing her...Little Chihiro, who loved to play with my river. I smile to myself at the thought of this--soon, I will be able to see her smiling face, as well as hear what stories she has to tell me for today. I wonder...would they be about her friend Elie? Or about that wicked boy, Haru? (Damn, sometimes I want to punch that boy hard for making her cry)

...ouch. I blink and grab at the thing which hit me. It is a small pink shoe. Hm...this looks familiar...

Suddenly I heard a commotion in front of me, and I saw that the fishes were in panic. I feel my heart jump in fear.

Chihiro!!!