Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ II ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI

--II--

I shifted the small weight on my back. Poor girl, she had nearly drowned while looking for her shoe.

Where am I? I could hear her frightened and confused voice in my head.

It's alright... I told her. You're safe now...

Haku...?

I looked up and stared into her eyes. My lips curved up into a smile, well, as close to a smile a dragon can do. Chihiro.

* * *

Since that day I felt that Chihiro and I became closer, even if we couldn't communicate with each other like last time. Her visits in the afternoon became longer, and at times she even stayed after sundown (which always resulted to a scolding from her parents). But in any case I found myself constantly looking forward to her visits, as well as constantly wishing that time would stand still whenever she is with me. But even us gods have rules to follow, you know? Besides, she is still young and so am I, which means we still have a lot of time to spend together.

...well, at least I thought so until I found my river being drained today. Of course I didn't back down without a fight. I made my waters become wild so that the men couldn't reach it. Unfortunately my powers are not enough to counter the so-called "power of technology".

"Stop it!" It was her. She had bravely rushed toward me, blocking the way of the machineries. "You're hurting Haku!!!"

A man had stpped out from one of the machineries. "Haku? Is one of your friends in the river?" Apparently humans only cared when there was a fellow human involved, never anything else. They stunk so much of selfishness, a smell that we spirits cannot endure.

"Haku IS the river!"

The man looked down softly at her, as if he understood. It is strange how I am currently despising that look. "Poor girl, you don't have much friends, do you? Don't worry, it'll be alright," the man said while walking toward her. "After this, new houses will be built here and soon you will have new friends surrounding you." He bent down and picked her up. "For now we will have to get you home."

This sent Chihiro into a screaming and crying fit. "NOOOOOOO!!!! I ONLY WANT HAKU!!" She pounded at the man's shoulders as hard as a six-year-old child could muster. "Put me down, please! HAKUUUUUU!!!!!!!"

I roared in anger and despire, the waters becoming wilder each moment. CHIHIROOOOO!!!!!! The image of her tear-filled face was the only thing in my mind before all became black.