Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ III ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI

-III-

As I opened my eyes I saw the stars twinkling down at me. It would have been a beautiful sight if I didn't feel so terrible right now. I sat up and glanced to my side. There was a river, but unfortunately it wasn't the Kohaku River. It was wider and deeper, and I spotted a boat making its way towards where I was.

That was when I realized where I was.

I had lost my home, and because of that the higher gods had transferred me to the World of Spirits. I had...how did humans call it?...died, yes. I had died. I never thought I would come to this place so soon...

"AAARGH!!! DAMN IT!!!" I screamed out at the top of my lungs, and pounded at the grass below me. Never had I felt so mad in my life. It was all their fault! THOSE DAMN HUMANS!! After all I did for them! Ungrateful bastards...they only think of themselves...because of them I lost my home...my life...and her...

For the first time in my life, I broke down and cried.

* * *

It was hours before I managed to calm myself down, long after the Ferry's passengers for the night had stepped down. Some of the might board the Train and settle down somewhere, but the others who want to earn a little gold go for the Aburaya, the most popular bath house in this world. Gods from all over go to Aburaya to unwind and relax.

I wandered away from the river bank, and entered the nearest town. Because it was twilight, the town was just waking up. It was mostly comprised of restaurants, put up for the convenience of the gods passing by. I placed a hand on my stomach, realizing my hunger only now. I walked up on one of the restaurants and sat down.

"What will you have, boy?"

I looked up at the owner and shrugged. He looked back at me after a moment of silence. "Lost you home too,huh?"

"..."

He handed me a bowl. I picked up the chopsticks, and began to eat.

The owner continued to look at me. "Cheer up, boy. There were others like you."

"There is nothing to be cheerful about." I replied icily.

He picked a bowl he just washed and began to wipe it.

I continued to eat, but soon memories began to invade my mind. The bank...the river bottom...

HAKU!

...the waters...the fishes...

HAKU!

I slammed the bowl to the table, my appetite suddenly gone. "DAMN IT! I wasn't strong enough...not powerful enough..." I buried my face in my arms. I can't cry...I WON'T. Not now...

"Come now, boy." Great. Now the owner'll think I'm the most pathetic demi-god in existence. "If it makes you feel better, I think there is someone who can help you."

I looked up at him, wiping my face right away. "What do you mean?"

"You said you weren't powerful enough." He poured what seemed to be Spiritual Sake to a glass from a kettle. He sipped. "Well, the owner of Aburaya is a powerful sorceress."

I leaned over, hope suddenly overcoming me. "Do you mean she will--?"

"If you mean that she will bring back your home then no."

I sat back, that same hope had suddenly been drained from me.

"Now don't get yourself down again, boy. What I mean is that you go to Yubaba--that's her name--and ask to become her apprentice. You will then learn magic, and in time become powerful enough to take back your home."

I nodded, definitely interested now. "I will go to her right away!" I stood up.

"Wait!" He said. "Before you go I want you to know that you will be risking something important to you if you go to her."

I looked at him straight in the eye. "I am willing to risk anything to get my home back..." ...and get HER back...

The owner sipped his sake, then smiled at me. "It's your call." He gave me a thumbs-up. "Good luck."

It was only then that I noticed that he had an extra pair of arms.