Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ VIII ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI

-VIII-

Chihiro turned her head to look at me. I gasped, astounded. She wasn't ugly after all...

But I suddenly remembered that she wasn't supposed to be here. I took a step towards her. "You're not allowed here. Go back!"

I could see the confusion in her eyes. "Eh?"

"It's almost night. Leave before it gets dark!" How I wished I could explain to her right then, but there was no time. I looked behind me and gasped in horror. "They're lighting the lamps!" I had no choice but to push her so that she would run. "Go!" I turned around and blew a snowy breeze, strong enough to put out the lighted lamps.

To my relief, this caused a slight commotion from inside the bath house. I looked back at the retreating figure of Chihiro. That should buy her some time, I thought. Once she crosses the River she should be safe. I faced the bath house. Time to get back to work...

However as I started to make my way back, a disturbing thought suddenly crossed my mind. What if she didn't make it? She might be on the verge of disappearing right now...

But I shook my head fervently. No! I've already helped her enough. She is on her own now. If she disappears, then it is her fault! She should have come here in the first place!

...but I knew her name...

...how can this be when I don't even remember my own name?

An image suddenly flashed across my mind. It was a laughing Chihiro, but younger than the Chihiro that I just met earlier.

...does this mean I knew her since she was little?

...what am I to her?

...what is she to me?

I shook my head again. "Damn it!" I cursed under my breath, and turned around towards the direction she took.

* * *

I ran across town, past the restaurant owners who were setting up their customers. I halted and saw on one stall two pigs which strangely wore clothes. They must have been humans too, like chihiro. Then I ran again. I will take care of them later.

The River soon came into view. The Ferry was already letting passengers off...that means she didn't make it across. I quickly glanced around, but she wasn't anywhere in sight. Then I climbed up a small hill to get a better view of the area.

And true enough, I spotted a small figure crouched beside a wall.

As I came closer to her I saw that she was disappearing. Poor girl, this was what happened to humans when they come to this world when it is not time for them to do so yet.

When I reached her I instinctively put my arms around her. She was sobbing, most likely out of fright. Seeing her like this made me feel..I don't know what, but in any case it is not a good feeling at all...

She hasn't completely disappeared yet, sinc eshe almost jumped once I touched her. She looked at me with her tear-filled eyes, surprised yet confused at the same time. I spoke to her softly, to reassure her. "Don't worry, I'm a friend."

Still trembling, she shook her head at me. "No, no, no!"

I don't blame her for acting this way. I reached down into my pocket and pulled out a berry. "Open your mouth and eat Unless you eat something from this world, you'll vanish."

I held up the berry to her lips, but she responded by looking away and pulling away from me.

"No!" Imagine her shock after seeing her hand pass freely through my face. I felt really sorry for her. She sat there, shock and disbelief written all over her face. I have to say something...

"Don't worry, it won't turn you into a pig." I could have slapped myself silly, what kind of a remark was THAT? Smooth Haku, real smooth. But I pressed the berry into her lips anyway. "Chew it and swallow."

I finally managed to get her to eat the berry. "Good girl; you're fine now." To prove my point I held up my hand for her. "See for yourself."

Her body came back, just as I said it would. I held her hands to reassure her. "You see?" I stood up. "Now come."

But she grabbed my hands firmly and looked up at me. "What about my mom and dad? They didn't really turn into pigs, did they?"

Oh. So that's who they were. I look back again at her. "Well you can't see them now, but you will soon."

Flap...flap...flap...

Hearing theat sound made me snap my head to the side in alert. It knows....

Quickly I knelt back down and pushed her against the wall. "Quiet!"

I can't let it see her...