Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ X ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

-NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI-

-X-

"Master Haku! Master Haku!"

"Chase after it!"

"A human intruder!"

"I smell humans! The stench of humans!"

I had brought Chihiro through a secret door by the entrance into the garden. It was the safest place for her for now. We crouched behind some thick bushes to hide ourselves from view. I turned to my companion. "They know you're here."

"I'm sorry, I took a breath."

I could almost smile at her. She's really trying her best. "No Chihiro, you did very well. Listen and I'll tell you what to do."

I began to line up the things that she needs to accomplish. "If you stay here they will surely find you. So I will distract them. In the meantime, you escape."

She grabbed my shirt, and I could see the fear in her eyes. "No don't go! Stay with me, please!"

We met just a few minutes ago and she already trusts me... I held her hands lightly. "You have no choice but to do it, if you want to survive and save your parents too."

"So they did turn into pigs...I wasn't dreaming..."

This is not a dream, Chihiro... "Be still!" I placed a hand on her forehead. Time to give her the instructions. "When things quiet down, go out by the back gate. Take the stairs all the way down, until you reach the boiler room where they stroke the fires. Kamaji's there, so look for him."

"Kamaji?"

I nodded. "Ask him for work. Even if he rejects you, persist." Everyone here in the bath house is like that. One must first see the determination and persistence of an applicant before granting him/her a job. After all Yubaba hates slackers. "If you don't work, Yubaba will turn you into an animal."

"Yubaba?"

"She's the sorceress who rules our world." I told her. Then I proceeded back to the subject of the six-legged man. "Kamaji will turn you away, trick you into leaving, but keep on asking him for work. It'll be hard work, but it will give you a chance. Then even Yubaba can't harm you."

"Okay..."

I looked down at her. I don't know why, but it hurts seeing her like this. I wanted to hug her.

"Master Haku! Master Haku!"

I sighed inwardly. "I have to go. Remember Chihiro, I'm your friend." I stood up, but she grabbed ahold of my hand. "How do you know my name?"

I told her the best explanation I could offer, even if it's still incomplete. "I've known you since you were small. My name is Haku." I let go of her hand, and started to move away from her. "Here I am."

I immediately stepped into the door an attendant opened for me. "Master Haku, Yubaba wants you."

"I know, it's about my task."

* * *

I faced Yubaba in her room. As always it looked warm and cozy, but its aura was in fact, the opposite. Very much like the sorceress herself.

"You're late."

I resisted the urge to grumble. It was only three seconds, geez. "I'm sorry."

"Anyway, I've got another task for you." Yubaba put down her pen and stood up. "You are to retrieve a sorceress' seal..." I groaned inwardly. not again. This is the fifth time she'd made me steal a sorceress' seal. And from my experiences, they are truly a pain in the neck. Who's the sorceress now?

"...in Swamp Bottom."

I swear I could feel my jaw hit the bottom.