Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi ❯ XIII ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NIGIHAYAMI KOHAKU NUSHI

-XIII-

I left the room as soon as I saw Chihiro with Lin. She's safe now, I told myself.

Strangely though, that left me unsatisfied still.

But I've already done so much for her. Surely I've done enough.

I made my way through the hallways towards the direction of my room.

I don't need to push myself further.

As I entered my room, the moon shone brightly upon my bed. I smiled to myself. If there is any place in this bath house that I feel most comfortable being in, it is this room. These walls have heard a lot of thoughts from me. And speaking of which, the ones I am having right now are all about her. Se--no, Chihiro.

It still perplexes me why I remember this stranger's name, when I cannot even remember my own. But this stranger, who does not even live in the same world as I, is somehow familiar to me.

Perhaps we are somehow linked. Surely, knowing her name must mean something. Perhaps she is the key to remembering my name? Or maybe she herself knows what my real name is!

...yeah right, fat chance that'll be. She's never seen me before. Why else would she wonder why I knew her name? Why else would she wonder why I was helping her?

Actually, I'm pondering over that question myself. I don't get anything out of helping her. In fact, I'm already doing enough to get myself kicked out of the bath house. And not only myself, but Kamaji and Lin too.

I walked over to the balcony and looked over. Below was the women attendants' quarters. How is she doing right now?

But I shook my head. No. Lin's taking care of her now. I have no obligation to do more than I have already done.

I peered again downwards. My sharp hearing could distinguish voices of two girls. I sighed and transformed myself.

Damn girl, I thought to myself as I flew towards the window. What have you done to me?

* * *

I settled myself upon the roof just above the quarters. I hated eavesdropping, but I needed to know she was fine.

"So this is our room," That was Lin's voice. "Chow, then bed. You'll be fine."

I nodded to myself. Good work Lin. I'm sure her cheerful attitude will lighten Chihiro up. It always works for me.

"You're so puny!" I let out a low laugh. Chihiro was rather puny. So frail and fragile, which is probably why--

"Um, Lin?"

"What?"

"Are there two Hakus here?"

I started. Why in the gods' name would she think that?!

"Two?! Of him?! I sure hope not." I felt myself wince. Damn Lin, you didn't have to be so harsh. "He's Yubaba's henchman. Watch out for him."

...but harsh as that may be, I know it's true. I wasn't exactly being consistent with my personality. There might be, after all, two Hakus. One Haku who didn't want any trouble, who wanted to be left alone and pursue his dream of becoming powerful. And the other Haku, who was lonely and didn't want to be left alone, who genuinely wanted to help a lost girl and eventually pursue his dream of remembering hsi real name.

"Here they are! ...hm? What's wrong? Are you okay?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Then I turned and flew back up to my room, having decided on who indeed is the real Haku.