Static Shock Fan Fiction ❯ Watch The Sky ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN STATIC AND OTHER ASSOCIATED CHARACTERS! Dwayne McDuffie and WB and Milestone do in...their various ways.

Warning: profanity, darkness, slash, Out of Character


Chapter Nine


When Virgil saw the twins in school that day, he was hesitant to go to them. When Osgoode spotted him, his face turned dark for a second. He then marched toward him. Virgil opened his mouth to speak when Osgoode paused before him, his lips tight as he searched Virgil’s face.

Before Virgil could move, Osgoode landed a hard right that knocked him the ground. Some of the other students gasped and startled, but none of them were more surprised than Virgil was at that instant. His cheek throbbed painfully as he stared up at Osgoode in stunned inquiry. Osgoode hissed, “How is it that Hotstreak was able to tell us apart, and YOU couldn’t?”

Virgil felt as if he were hit by a semi. He couldn’t form words as Osgoode stalked away, Richard looking at his brother with surprise. Feeling like a complete criminal, Virgil sat on the sidewalk for a few moments, trying to gather some composure.

Later that day, Virgil kept casting the twins anxious glances, feeling so horribly lost and out of place that he wasn’t aware of anything else. His other friends kept trying to get his attention, but he couldn’t hear a word. He was fixated only on Osgoode and his brother. From time to time, Osgoode would glare at him accusingly, behaving more and more like a scorned lover than someone that was so closely involved in a highly suspicious situation. Virgil was appalled at how lightly the Foley twin was treating THAT situation, focusing instead on teenage drama.

After school, instead of taking the bus back to the community center where his father was expecting him, Virgil hurried after the twins as they walked their way home. Both of them were too involved with each other to notice him following them. When they stopped at a small ice cream parlor located within a block of small shops, Virgil followed in after them. Osgoode noticed him with a scowl, crossing his arms stiffly over his chest as Richard flirted with the server.

“Let’s talk,” Virgil pleaded quietly. “Please. I’m confused an–and lost. Some things just don’t make sense!”

Osgoode gave him a steely stare, jaw tight–but he looked away as the server dropped his cone after Richard started laughing. Once the other twin noticed Virgil, he scowled similarly, server forgotten.

“What do you want?” he demanded. “Ozzie told you NO, asshole.”

“Shut up, Richard!” Osgoode hissed, taking the fresh cone that the server held out. Both of them paid for their cones, but on the way out, Richard tossed his cone away, claiming loss of appetite. He then stalked off with an annoyed mutter. Virgil realized that he was being given a chance to talk to Osgoode. Osgoode sullenly ate his ice cream, Virgil gesturing toward the park across the street so that they would have a chance to talk.

Once Osgoode removed his backpack and sat down on a bench facing the line of shops, Virgil began to search for a way to start the conversation, mimicking his movement in removing his backpack.

“You are such an asshole, Virgil Hawkins,” Osgoode started off angrily, throwing the cone at Virgil. The other teen managed to avoid being hit with a deft twist, eyes widening at the words and anger. “You are just as my brother said you are–you infiltrated us in your stupid efforts to ‘bag’ one of us, and I’m pissed that you used me that way! I thought you were better than that, and I defended you!”

Virgil sputtered, but nothing coherent came out. Osgoode sullenly crossed his arms, mortified that he’d actually spoken his anger out loud. He couldn’t look at Virgil, but he couldn’t stop himself, either. “I thought you were my friend. I thought you were more than that...but you aren’t. You lied to me and betrayed my confidence!”

Virgil interrupted him. “How can you bring this up? This isn’t halfway important as to what happened this weekend! You lied! You lied to me, and you lied to the police! I don’t know how your parents were drawn into it, but–!”

“I had to do what was necessary to protect you, Virgil!” Osgoode growled, glancing around to make sure that they weren’t being overheard. He then focused on Virgil with a steel glare. “If I had to tell the truth, your identity would be revealed–it’s bad enough that Richard now knows who Static really is!”

Virgil cringed. The thought had crossed his mind, but due to the situation, he hadn’t given very much thought on it.

“And now you bitch me out because of it! In any event, Ebon got what was coming to him, and he confessed–!”

He didn’t kill them, did he?” Virgil interrupted once more. Osgoode quieted, nervously picking at his chin as he looked away. “He wasn’t responsible for those deaths! Yet, it’s true that the pair of you were the last to see them alive...weren’t you?”

Osgoode didn’t say anything for a few moments, choosing instead to stare off into the distance. Virgil felt incredibly tense at that moment, every muscle steeled as his fists curled at his sides, his jaw jutting outward. It made Osgoode nervous to be the recipient of that stare, for it was Static that stared down criminals and metahumans in that same determined way. It made him lose his resolve, nervously picking at his cuticles and feeling himself start to sweat.

“Yes. We were. But I cannot tell you who did it. I don’t know who did it, but...but they weren’t human. Nor metahuman.”

Perplexed, Virgil stared at him for a few moments. The loud sounds of the city provided a sense of comfort for him, playing out behind him as minutes passed. He licked his lips with a confused expression. “Then–?”

“I mentioned that our house was haunted, right? Let’s...let’s just say that Richard and I...we’re never alone. Ebon threatened to kill us...and They reacted in a way that They felt was necessary to protect us when I couldn’t. I can’t explain to you who or what They are. They have just–They’ve been around so long that I can’t remember the first time we’d ever met Them.”

Virgil was stumped. His shoulders slumped, and his face reflected his confusion. Osgoode looked up at him after a few moments of uncertainty. He started to look troubled, self-consciously hunching in on himself.

At this point, Virgil couldn’t tell what was a lie and what was a truth. He closed his eyes with a low sigh, feeling utterly lost. Osgoode watched him silently, feeling a little hurt in that Virgil wouldn’t believe him. But then again, such things were much too outrageous. In a way, he was relieved that Virgil wouldn’t believe him. But in another, it ruined Virgil’s perception of him. It was something that hurt horribly, losing Virgil’s friendship and trust, but it was inescapable because of the situation he was put in.

After all, he himself wasn’t sure of Virgil’s true motives, paranoid that Virgil was just using him to get closer to his brother. In a way, the situation would be best for both of them.

But it hurt so much...He had feelings for Virgil, feelings that both hurt and confused him. It made things so much harder as he acknowledged them, feeling hurt in the lies he thought Virgil was giving.

He looked down at his lap, crossing his arms to clutch his sleeves tightly. He felt Virgil’s eyes on him, but he couldn’t lift his own to meet his questioning stare. After a few minutes of silence, Virgil picked up his backpack and walked away without another word. Osgoode lifted his head to watch him go, feeling horrid as he took in the sight of his best friend’s back. With watery eyes, he wondered if Virgil would ever talk to him again.

“It is good that you let him go,” the voices murmured. “You do not need him.”

01010011

The encounter continued to bother him. Virgil was upset over what had happened, finding himself both angry and confused over Osgoode’s words and actions. He wanted to discuss it in detail, but there wasn’t anybody that he could confide in for this particular manner. It made him cranky and irritable, but something was prompting him to investigate other details. So after dinner with his family, he pulled on his costume and made his way across the city to the government offices located within the center of Dakota.

He bypassed security and snuck into one of the computer labs to use their computers. He felt guilty breaking into a controlled area to do so, but his mind was crying out for answers. Working the keyboard, lips set in determination, he set out to find out the truths in which Osgoode was not telling him. He wanted to learn what had happened in their hometown to have them moving to Dakota.

Static pored through police reports, search engines, and media clippings that he’d found involving the Foley twins back in their hometown. He was startled at the information and the accusations that had been made against the pair, and felt cold as he absorbed the black and white facts before him. There were web sites created by the families of those slain by ‘accidental’ occurrences. There were even a few that were encouraging occult involvements with the pair, as well as UFO sightings and unexplained supernatural events that seemed much too ridiculous to continue investigating. But he read every article, making notes of everything in a memo pad nearby.

He then bypassed that information to start hacking into their personal accounts. As he pierced together their history by the articles and government data that he hacked into, taking in dental, school, hospital visits and family history, he started to realize that something was glaringly wrong with them. From the moment the twins had been born, there had been ‘complications’. To find out more, he began researching their parents.

Maggie, before she’d met and married Sean, had been declared ‘barren’ at age eighteen, due to complications with her ovaries. Past records of her medical history had documented this. When she married Sean, it was expected in that they’d adopt, according to her family’s history charts that were easily pulled from the Internet. But three years after their marriage, they’d conceived–twins. Their boys had been a medical miracle, as it had been certain that she wasn’t able to have children.

The twins had a complicated childhood–both were afflicted with respiratory-related problems, developed more slowly than their peers, lagging behind in the fundamental learning processes that they were supposed to have achieved at each age. They had cardiac problems, digestive problems and underdeveloped inner organs. They were diagnosed as severely retarded. They were enrolled into special development classes–at that time, the bullying started.

The neighborhood kids began to make fun of them and their parents began looking down at Sean and Maggie, sneering at their efforts in raising their twin boys. This was documented in frequent domestic calls either Maggie or Sean made to report conflicts with their neighbors. It was heartbreaking to learn that just because the boys weren’t ‘normal’, others began to give them trouble.

But things changed when the boys finally began to ‘develop’ at age six. Their bodies seemed to miraculously turn ‘normal’, and they no longer needed to take life-saving medicines or undergo procedures to keep their bodies running. It seemed that within mere weeks the boys seemed to ‘snap’ out of their severely retarded states and had advanced mental smarts that took them out of the special development classes and into classes two years ahead of their peers. Their parents were astounded, as were various child therapists and psychologists.

From the websites, Static gathered that the neighborhood was amazed at the quick and startling change. The other children grew restless, unnerved by the twins’ quick change. The bullying began in fervor, jealousy causing their peers to react irrationally. But despite the fact that the twins were advancing in mental states, they clearly were stunted in social and emotional states. By age eight, they were pulled from their higher grade and forced into the same class as those of their same age. This was clearly a baffling move to those interested in their genius, but a year later, the boys had adapted to those their age with emerging personalities of their own.

To Static, it was as if they were slowly being reprogrammed to fit their age group despite their genius. Their grades fell, but only because the teachers suspected their need to ‘fit in’ with their peers. But even with that, their peers continued to bully them.

This continued until the deaths began to happen. Their neighborhood to berate both the parents and the boys, fearful for their own children’s safety.

In a way, Static found that it made sense. So much unusual activity, so many unexplained situations, so many particular coincidences...of course the twins weren’t normal. Of course things seemed to happen–the more he read, the more he learned that something was incredibly off with them. It felt as if...they were forced into this society, bred just for the adaptation rather than living and learning common human complications.

It would make sense that their severe retardation turned into genius, and it reminded him of a sci-fi flick in which a young man, diagnosed with mental retardation, deafness and blindness turned into a mad super-genius who was created by aliens in order to take over the world. The reason why he didn’t adapt so early on in life was because he’d been created artificially–not born naturally. Therefore, his alien body had to adapt and learn to thrive on Earth rather than–

He shook his head with a tired groan. He was getting way too ahead of himself, mixing up details with science fiction. With tired eyes, he stared at the computer screen and then consulted his notes. In either case, something about the twins just didn’t fit the details of the norm. there was something missing...something that could explain it all...

As he began to erase his search history, he had to wonder if Osgoode had been trying to tell him the truth.

01010011

It was nearly midnight when he finished cleaning up his mess. But he was troubled over the situation with Osgoode. It bothered him in that he knew Osgoode had feelings for him just by the telltale actions he made, and that he was having trouble believing this due to the conflicting actions he and his brother delved into. While immensely confused, Static was also immensely curious. The only way to find out the truth was to actually get it from the brothers themselves.

But every time he thought about it, he felt truly ominous about his decision. As if every step he ventured toward the truth was a step closer to doom. It felt as if there was something outside of him that didn’t want to continue this–that something horrible would happen if he furthered his investigation.

But Virgil wasn’t one that was easily scared–not with his experience as Static.

He headed over to the Foley house, feeling achy from head to toe. He wanted to reconnect with Osgoode once again–he wanted things to be as they were before this all came to light.

Sighing low, Static coasted atop of a rooftop that overlooked the Foley house. He could see into their back yard, and could see that Sean was gone for the night. Every window was dark, yet there was light filtering out from the back kitchen door. He could see two forms sitting on the stairs leading onto the lawn, and the faint glow of embers from a cigarette. He strained his ears to listen for conversation, hearing only the quiet noises of the neighborhood instead.

He knew that it was the pair of them, sitting outside their house at this late hour. He wanted to go down there to talk to Osgoode, to let him know that he was more understanding now that he knew of their history. But he couldn’t do so. What if Osgoode felt offended by Static’s snooping into their past?

He held himself back, catching sight of them. Osgoode had his head in his arms, propped by his raised knees. Richard had an arm slung around his shoulder, and murmured comforting words every few minutes as he smoked cigarette after cigarette. Both of them looked so desolate and alone that Static ached for them. To him, from his position, it was as if both of them knew how alone they were; and were entirely used to it.

They were used to battling the world together.

01010011

Osgoode struggled hard not to think of Virgil that weekend. Though he hurt inside for the loss of his friendship, Osgoode started to think that perhaps it was better that they separate. Virgil would never understand. Spending time with his brother, he began to realize that he’d missed this sort of contact with Richard.

After a morning of roaming their favorite spots, the two were waiting for Sean to meet them at a park near their neighborhood. Richard spotted Sean walking over to them from the parking lot, and then sputtered soda with his excitement. He abandoned his bench seat to race toward his father, who faltered in mid-step as he realized his son was up to no good. Osgoode snickered as Richard jumped onto Sean, nearly knocking him over. Richard growled and cursed as he threw punches at his father, Sean complaining as he took the playful flurry with an annoyed expression.

Osgoode marveled at his brother’s lack of regard to his behavior and playfulness, unable to have that sort of relationship with anybody. He was also amazed at his father’s patience for when Richard was in a playful mood.

“Goddamn it, Richard!” Sean snarled, stumbling forward as Richard blew raspberries against the back of his neck. Osgoode grinned at him as he finally reached him. “Get off me! Act like a normal human being for once!”
“Hi daddy!” Osgoode chirped. “Did you bring us the Foley riches so we could buy out the mall? Y’know, like normal teenagers? Or do we have to rob another bank?”

“I just came to check up on you. Your mother and I are heading off to the countryside for some–”

“Don’t go into details, dad,” Osgoode grumbled.

“I was just going to say farm-fresh foods, to keep your weight in check,” Sean corrected with an annoyed look as Richard tried to pants him. Osgoode scoffed at that, curling his arms to show off muscle; which wasn’t visible with the hooded sweater he wore. “Get off me, Richard!”

“So…you won’t be home when we get back?” Osgoode asked, lowering his arms and straightening his wireless glasses with a curious look. “That’s fine. I don’t want to hear the pair of you complaining when you see we’ll be having friends over. The really funky kind that enjoys the occasional kegger in your living room.”

Sean scoffed. “As if we have to worry about that with you two. Here’s some cash–buy your brother a leash.”

Richard sat back down with a whine. “Dad, I was wondering: is it possible for the both of you to work a few more hours overtime? I need to get my lower half done in time for prom this year.”

Sean sighed as Osgoode tried to imagine having a twin sister. Glancing around at the people sitting nearby that overheard their conversation, Osgoode flushed with embarrassment. He socked his brother’s arm, muttering for him to keep it down.

Richard laughed. “Just kidding. But can I borrow your panties, daddy? They’ll go better with my scarlet-red nightie.”

Sean waved at them, walking off with another mutter. Osgoode snickered as he waved the pair of tens about. “Let’s get ice cream.”

“You pregnant, Oz?” Richard asked curiously, but agreed to the suggestion. Osgoode quickly reached over to straighten his collar, Richard snapping his teeth at him. Adjusting his own light blue sweater, Osgoode left the bench with his brother in tow. “What is with you mothering me, Ozzie? Every time I turn around, you’re touching me.”

“Well, if you’d keep yourself together and pay more attention to yourself, I wouldn’t have to!” Osgoode complained, resisting the urge to fix his brother’s shirt sleeves. “We’d look a lot better if we both look as if we put effort into ourselves…”

“Says the guy that wears sweaters and baggy jeans 24/7,” Richard scoffed. He then looked down at his own fitting green sweater and cargo pants. “Whoops. Hey, I got an idea–let’s hit the music store. I’m out of Enya.”

Osgoode laughed. “I am NOT hanging out with a guy that listens to that crap.”

“Let’s have a LOTR marathon! Doesn’t that sound fun? Let’s get some take-out, sugary battery acid and–oh, hey, I’m out of cigs. I need to–”

“You’re not smoking around me, so forget it! Wait here–I’ll bring yours back. And in all honesty, you don’t need anymore sugar. But that marathon sounds cool. Ho my god, do you want to cosplay?” Osgoode asked, growing excited at the thought.

“YES! I want to be Legolas, this time! I’m so sick of dressing up like Gimli…Mom’s getting tired of me stealing off with her hair piece.”

Osgoode laughed again, shaking his head as he left his brother to cross the street to the ice cream parlor they’d visited the other day. Nearly twenty minutes later he was leaving the parlor with his hands full when he saw a familiar face across the street. He gasped, whipping around the parlor to press himself against the wall, panicked.

Familiar with Hotstreak, he knew the redhead was one to hold a grudge and always tried to exact his own revenge with someone he was dissatisfied with. With the situation the past weekend, Osgoode figured that the metahuman wanted some sort of revenge against the pair of them for the deaths of his friends. He wasn’t sure if the guy had seen him, so he cautiously peered around the corner of the building. The metahuman was still in the same spot he’d seen him, leaning against the wall of a nearby alley, dressed in a long trench coat and cap to hide his distinguishing features.

Osgoode furrowed his brow because the meta wasn’t moving–just staring off to his left with an unreadable expression. Osgoode quickly searched his memory for any banks or stores of interest within their area, feeling a little faint at the thought of running into Static. The meta hadn’t noticed him, he realized–but something bothered him. Leaning out further, he searched for his brother.

It startled him in that perhaps Hotstreak was watching him. The meta was probably waiting for a chance to attack and–

He looked out again and saw Hotstreak watching Richard closely, his brother oblivious as he fidgeted restlessly on the bench. Feeling a little paranoid in Hotstreak’s motives, Osgoode tossed the ice cream aside with a regretful groan, then tried to catch his brother’s attention without Hotstreak noticing him. Richard looked over with a start. Osgoode waved him over, keeping out of sight as Hotstreak shifted away from the wall. The meta then turned and walked off, glancing back once before shoving his way through a group of startled tourists.

“What is it, Oz?” Richard asked with worry, Osgoode grabbing his arm and urging him into a run. Richard hurried after him, Osgoode leading the way around the building and onto an adjoining walkway that would take them away from the area.

“We had to get out of there,” Osgoode said, casting worried looks over his shoulder. “You–we were being watched.”
“By who?” Richard asked incredulously, looking behind him.

“Um…it doesn’t matter. Let’s just go home, all right? I’m ready to dress up. I’m thinking maybe I’ll go the route of da Ranger.”

“But…well…what happened to the ice cream?”

“Never mind! Your ass is getting fat anyway. I’m putting you on a strict diet in order to fit into Legolas’s tights,” Osgoode added with a nervous laugh.

“…No way! I was wearing mom’s the other night with those navy blue–”

Osgoode flailed. “Stop talking about that out loud! I don’t want to hear about it! I don’t even want to BE around it! That is just–just so WEIRD.”

“Cosplay everyday, if I may, what do ya say?” Richard sang, then hugged his brother fiercely, kissing him on the temple. Osgoode turned bright red as this caught the attention of other pedestrians. He shoved Richard away from him and walked hastily forward. “Hey, Ozzie, listen–instead of rotting our teeth away with the sugar pile, let’s get pizza. Piled high with veggies, Canadian bacon, sausage, extra cheese and–! Oh, good grief, did you hear about that guy in our class? His family was robbed when this metahuman decided that he liked the smell of their takeout. What’s his name…? Snoz? Snozzler…?”

“Geez, it’s FERRET. Snoz. You’re an idiot, Richard.”

“…Are you sure? Oh, yes…” Richard coughed. “How could I doubt YOU when it comes to all the metahumans in the city? After all, you and Static–”

Osgoode whirled on him, shoving him hard as a spike of anger hit him. Richard was startled by the sudden movement, hitting the sidewalk on his ass as his brother snarled, “Don’t talk about him! Don’t bring him up! I don’t want you talking about him, or that situation for any reason! Do you understand?”

“Y-Yes. Yes. I’m sorry, Oz, I was just joking!”

Osgoode glowered at him for several tense moments, and then whirled, stalking away from him. Stiffly, Richard rose from the sidewalk, staring after his brother with a bewildered look. He was incredibly sorry for bringing the subject up. Brushing off his pants, he glanced around to see if anybody had seen what had happened. Seeing that the coast was clear, he hurried after his brother.

01010011

That night, Richard stared up at the night sky from their backyard, getting frustrated with the long, blond wig he wore for his dress-up as Legolas. His homemade costume–which was getting tight on Osgoode–didn’t provide him with enough warmth against the chill in the air.
Osgoode was busy preparing snacks in his Aragon costume while Richard nursed a cigarette in the dark, thinking about his brother’s mood. He understood that Osgoode was missing Virgil terribly–Osgoode had been feeling down since that day, and hadn’t spoken a word of his friend. While excited that he had his brother’s attention without Virgil interfering, Richard couldn’t help but feel his brother’s depression over the ‘break-up’, and despite himself, felt bad for him.

He stared at his cigarette, remembering how much They hated the smell. He brought it back to his lips when he heard a scrape of sound outside the fence line. Without hesitation, he hurried over to climb and stand on the wooden supports, looking down into a familiar face.

“Hi. Did you come to woo me?” he asked cheekily, Hotstreak frowning up at him. The metahuman looked momentarily startled at the sight of the blond wig and rubber pointy ears, but dismissed it to snatch the cigarette away from him, grounding it out with the heel of his shoe. “My hair’s not real enough to let down, but I do have a–”

“Don’t give me that! I don’t wanna hear about nothin’ like that!” Hotstreak snapped at him.

“…I was going to say a gate, but…” Richard grinned at him once more. He slapped hair out of his face. “I like it when you’re mad at me. You’re so commanding and forceful...”

Hotstreak finally shook his head in exasperation, but he looked up at the other teen with affection. “You’re such a dork. And I told you I hate it when you smoke!”

“It was my first in DAYS!”

“Fuckin’ liar. I watched you today, snatching off with a fresh pack at the drugstore...”

“Were you impressed with my lifting skills? I even did as you showed me,” Richard said proudly.

“Yeah, yeah...Hurry up. Let’s go. I’m bored, and this neighborhood is fuckin’ creepy as hell. I hate coming out here to get you,” Hotstreak then muttered, looking around restlessly. It sent chills up his spine in that the silence was so thick and still that even the insects weren’t making their usual noises. It always felt as if he were being watched.

“I can’t. My brother’s moping over the breakup he had with his boyfriend. He needs me.”

“What about my needs?”

“What about them? Why don’t you go rough up a few old ladies for me?”

Hotstreak rolled his eyes, but focused on him with an impatient glare. “It’s been a month, Foley. I haven’t seen you in a fuckin’ month, and when I finally do, it’s because of that bastard Ebon. What’s up with that, anyway? Never mind. C’mon, Foley, a whole MONTH.”

Haughtily, Richard straightened. But he felt uplifted knowing that his boyfriend was missing him; Hotstreak sometimes baffled him with his own hard-to-get tactics. It was nice to know that Hotstreak was coming up to him instead of the other way around.“I gave you a month to think about things. Have you?”

“...Kinda.”

“Good and hard?”

“Eh.”

Richard pouted for a few moments. When they’d last seen each other, Hotstreak had been pressuring him for anal sex; Richard wasn’t ready for that, finding it threatening and scary.

“So, what’s going to happen when I suddenly fall OUT of character and let it slip that we’ve been seeing each other for quite a while?” Richard asked calmly.

“Shit, don’t pull that. C’mon, I did what you said! Nobody knows! I thought I was awesome back there! I had to fuckin’ improv when I found out Ebon snatched ya! You know I hadda talk to Puff real fast just for that stupid plan! Nobody coulda done what I did on a whim!”

“I know, love bug. You were really totally awesome,” Richard said with another cheeky grin. “I got the shivers when you got up in our faces back there. I tried not to like it too hard.”

“Man, I thought you were going to give me away, acting all cheap and loose,” Hotstreak said with a grin of his own. “I almost–never mind. Just...hurry up! I don’t want to talk out here! C’mon! It’s not like we get to see each other often, anyway...”

“I can’t. I’ve got to stay here. My brother and I are cosplaying for Lord of the Rings. I can’t just leave the house in this get-up. People might try to beat me up, or kidnap me because I’m so cute.”

Amber eyes narrowed. “Are you seeing somebody else? Is that what this is? Is that why you’re avoiding me all the time?”

“No!” Richard answered with a mock horrified expression. He then narrowed his eyes. “But I will if you keep pressuring me.”

“I’m starting to think that you are seein’ someone on the side. That’s fucked up, Foley! When I find out who it is, I’m going to be pissed!”

Richard winced at the rise in his tone, and scowled at him. “Listen, you! Keep it down! I don’t want my brother finding out you’re here! He’ll freak out!”

Hotstreak tilted his head, a smirk crossing his features. “All right, then. I’ll go. But the next time we run into each other, I might just forget what I’m supposed to do. I might even feel a little restless and edgy and a little more forgetful than usual, and think that Osgoode is you. I might molest before asking.”

Richard glowered at him. He then leaned against the top of the fence with agitated movements, sweeping the long hair of his wig from his face. “Fine, fine. Mom usually goes grocery shopping on Sundays, and Ozzie’s been wanting to go with her. Dad’s going to go, too. They leave around eleven. Be here by then. And I am not putting out.”

“Aw, c’mon! It’s been a fucking YEAR with me chasing you! How much longer do I have to wait?!”

“Like I’m going to give it up so easily! What do you think I am, cheap? I’m not going to let some metahuman asshole come along and act like he owns me just so that he could get easy tail from me. You want me, you need to work for it like everyone else. You keep this up, and I’ll give in to that guy that owns the Northtowne club. He offered me thousands just for my ass, but he doesn’t pressure me like you do.”

“I’ll break that old fag’s face if he touches you!”

Don’t pressure me, then. Let me give it up on my own terms,” Richard said stubbornly.

Hotstreak frowned. “I’ll remember that. Especially when I drop ya for someone more...accessible.”

Richard scowled at him once more. With an evil smirk, Hotstreak continued with, “I’ll introduce ya to someone more appreciative of me...that okay? Maybe I’ll bring him around so you two could meet. Then you could learn some manners and etiquette from him, instead. Learn how not to be such a fucking cock tease.”

“L–look. I promise. Soon, all right? I just don’t feel ready for that step, yet. Please?”

“You can’t work that innocent, virginal act with me, sir. It worked once. You know, you should be glad I’m still coming around, putting up with you. A lot of guys wouldn’t put up with this bullshit.”

“C’mon, papa bear. Just...wait. Maybe we can do it tomorrow,” Richard said quickly, shifting uneasily. “Just make sure they’re gone before you come in, all right? And...and bring what you think is necessary.”

With a satisfied grin, Hotstreak nodded and walked away. Richard frowned with uneasiness, then leapt from the fence and hurried back inside, Osgoode snapping at him for making him wait for so long.