Static Shock Fan Fiction ❯ Watch The Sky ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN STATIC AND OTHER ASSOCIATED CHARACTERS! Dwayne McDuffie and WB and Milestone do in...their various ways.

Warning: profanity, darkness, slash, Out of Character


Chapter Thirteen



The next day, Virgil decided to put his plan into effect. He waited until lunchtime to confront the pair. He had a ‘sorta’ plan in mind, and while he was uncertain in some things concerning the outcome, he was determined to get to the bottom of it and stop all of the insanity. He just wanted to have Osgoode back, and for them to resume where they’d left off. Their friendship, and everything else, was very important to him. It was worth the fight.

After searching for them inside of the school, he changed course and went outside. He found them on one of the side benches near the front entrance of the school. Richard was sitting stiffly in the center, Osgoode laying horizontal with his legs across his lap and his arms crossed behind his head. Virgil found it odd that Richard seemed so incredibly tense while Osgoode spoke in a cheerful manner, bursting out into light laughter from time to time.

Not wanting to, but unable to forget how more than one person had mentioned Osgoode’s darkish tendencies, Virgil found it prudent to stay out of sight at that moment. Richard’s uncharacteristic silence and tense posture was one indication of trouble. Laying low, Virgil used the decorative bushes that lined the walkway to sneak in close. Heart pounding and denial immediately pitching a fit against anything bad that he might overhear, Virgil kept himself at a low crouch. Even so, reaching a desired distance in which he had to use his powers to amplify Osgoode’s low tone, Virgil caught himself hesitating on actually following through with this spying.

He found himself realizing that he didn’t want to know.

“...that time when Kyle pushed you in the mud because you were painting your fingernails on the front porch?” he overheard Osgoode saying in that light, cheerful manner of his. It was almost as if Virgil was overhearing him speak happily of past memories. Feeling a little more confident in that he wasn’t going to hear anything horrible, a small smile lifted Virgil’s lips. “What were we? Seven? Six? Richard, how old were we? Anyway, it was so embarrassing...why couldn’t you be normal? I hated it when you embarrassed us like that. Dressing like a girl. Painting your nails, swiping mom’s lipstick. Hitting on dad while wearing her dresses. I so hated it...what was that color you were using? Purple.”

Osgoode fell silent for a few moments, but Virgil stayed in his crouched position, a feeling of horror descending over him. Osgoode’s words had malice in them–but he spoke so normally.

“That was the first time I used a hammer. Yup! One by one...I didn’t even have to hold you down. You knew what was coming. One by one with the hammer...but your nails turned purple for awhile...hah! Until they started coming off...” He then laughed.

Virgil was horrified. Osgoode’s laughter, reflective tone and cheer completely belied what he was talking about. It took him a few moments to completely absorb what had been said–his shock was that great. Before he could hear anything more, the bell rang. Osgoode popped up from the bench with a cheerful spring, but Richard rose stiffly, looking at the ground in a daze.

Osgoode linked their arms, giggling as he leaned in close to say, “You cried like a baby. A retarded baby. You don’t paint your nails now, do you? I should have done that to your toes, too...maybe I will. Maybe you’ll start acting like a fucking male from now on if I do things like that...”

Virgil forgot to hide, rising up on shaky legs to watch them make their way up the front steps and disappear into the school. His mouth open in shock, he stared at the closing doors. He felt heavy. He’d never heard Osgoode speak with such...cheery malice. He’d only heard that tone in villains’ voices when they declared their greed and lust for power and destruction. Never in someone so close to him. Never in someone like Osgoode.

His stomach lurched, but he was heavy with disappointment and immense shock. Osgoode had always been so quiet and fiercely loyal, with a tendency toward over-the-top dorky...how could he be so cruel? And why hadn’t Virgil able to detect this?! Why did he have someone like Hotstreak and a random stranger telling him what they knew of Osgoode?

He wanted to believe it was all a trick. Someone was playing a cruel trick on him. It wasn’t Osgoode that they’d claimed–perhaps it was Richard. Perhaps–

But there was no mistaking Osgoode’s characteristics. Even if his words and tone lied, Virgil recognized his touchy-feely ways with his brother was more clingy and possessive than Richard’s playful and almost flirty actions.

Unsure of what he was doing anymore, Virgil glared up at the sky.

01010011

When the phone rang that evening, Richard dashed for it. Osgoode was occupied by Sean, who was harping on him for cleaning out the snacks in the pantry. Before Maggie could touch the phone, Richard snatched it from the counter and ran outside. Slightly breathless, he answered with silence.

Not even five seconds later, Hotstreak said in a rush, “Can’t make it. Trouble.”

Why?!” Richard complained, giving the ground a frustrated look. “I was looking forward to this the whole day. What’s so damn important that you have to–”

“Look, I can’t talk about this right now.”

“I don’t want your excuses!”

“Man, c’mon, Rich! I can’t do this right now! I won’t be there, an’ I gotta go! Talk to you later!”

“Yeah, but how long is ‘later’!?” Richard yelled, but he heard the abrupt click in the background. Feeling wholly frustrated, Richard hung up on his end and stamped a foot in childish frustration. Before he could do anything else, Osgoode was at the glass sliding door, glaring at him.

“Who was that?” he demanded, stalking over to snatch the phone, scrolling through the Caller ID window.

“Telemarketer,” Richard muttered, knowing that the number would show up “Unknown”. “I told you dad was going to be angry with you for eating that.”

“Like he really needs that, anyway. You weren’t trying to talk to him, were you? If you were–!”

“Evening, guys!”

Both of them startled in mirror-image effect, looking up at Static with matching expressions. Static brought himself to a low hover in front of them, struggling not to let his personal feelings continue to impede his determination. Hands on his hips, he cast them the sternest look he could muster. Then he gentled it as much as he could as he looked at Richard.

“You need to go to the construction site on Eighty-First and Third,” he said quietly. “Someone needs to see you...it’s...it’s real bad.”

He felt horrible seeing Richard’s face drop in that manner. He hated lying. Even if it were to someone he didn’t particularly like.“You’ll need to get there right away. If you leave now–”

“How is that possible?” Richard asked before thinking. His expression turned extremely puzzled as he looked at the cordless in Osgoode’s hand. “I just talked to him on the phone–”

Static winced. But he found it workable that Richard didn’t come out and deny Hotstreak’s state. He wondered what was said even as he shook his head grimly. “However possible it was, I just–thought I should be the one to tell you. I came over here as fast as I could, and–he’s asking for you.”

Osgoode grabbed Richard’s arm quickly, giving Static a disgusted look. “He’s lying! What are you doing, Virgil?!”

Static started to speak when Richard jerked his arm away from Osgoode and ran for the back gate. Osgoode gaped, starting after him before forcing himself to a stop, glaring up at Static with a suspicious look. Static quickly flew away, hearing him shout after him in frustration. Before he left the neighborhood, he saw Osgoode running after his brother.

01010011

The construction site on Eighty-First promised a small law office. Already standing at three stories and nearly finished, it was surrounded by chainlink fence, with sectioned off areas with warning signs and tarp preventing any access. All the machinery that were used during the day were silent and dark, lined neatly along the east wall.

Richard was out of breath by the time he reached it, Osgoode but a small distance away from him. Pure desperation and adrenaline kept him faster than his brother, whose athleticism allowed him no trouble at all in keeping him in sight. Seeing as the gate was locked, Richard quickly but clumsily scaled the fence, landing on the other side just as his brother caught up. He made a face, coughing in that dreaded smoker’s way, vowing to stay off those things.

“He was just lying to you!” Osgoode shouted at him in frustration. He wasn’t even winded, surprisingly fast for someone like him. “He’s up to something–! Come back–!”

He took the fence in two quick grasps as his brother examined the area, then took a left, running for a door that led into and past the tarp and fence line that surrounded the building. Frustrated as he knew Static had lied to his brother for reasons unclear, Osgoode felt on edge as he landed on the packed dirt. He raced after his brother, spying him clamoring up a temporary aluminum staircase that workers used to access the second floor.

Just as he’d climbed onto the staircase, he heard Richard give a startled shout. Alarmed, he picked up the pace, racing through the window and landing inside to see Static at the end of the unfinished hallway. Richard was pinned to the elevator doors nearby. He cried out in dismay, arms pinned at his sides and legs held tightly as he was held against the metal by powerful magnetic forces. Osgoode came to a startled stop, gaping at Static with pure confusion on his face. Static’s face was grim and determined, his eyes dark with intensity.

Osgoode didn’t know what to think, both bewildered and guilty as he faced his friend with his expressions clear on his face. As he took a step back, he brushed against a paint splattered shop vacuum–glancing around, he realized that the construction workers had left various items around the hall. There were a set of windows leaning against one wall, waiting to be installed. Cardboard boxes lined another. Used planks of wood were stacked on the other.

Plenty of weaponry if he felt threatened–

“I did my research on you, Oz,” Static started, his voice cracking just slightly but growing firm as he set himself into a crouch, hovering above the floor. “I had to. I didn’t like what I found, man. Once I started gathering the facts, I realized...I realized that there was someone very dangerous right there in front of me. Someone capable of killing...orchestrating murder. I had to think about it, I had to do some documenting–”

“What are you talking about?!” Osgoode cried. But he’d already started to sweat with anxiety, his eyes darting over everything. Richard stopped struggling as he heard Static’s words, looking at Osgoode with the same gaping expression.

“It was you, Osgoode!” Static barked. “It was you...you killed them all, didn’t you? The bullies were your main targets...but your brother was also another. The stories were easy to make up–you could easily declare that someone else did it. Your motives were easy–you had many disadvantages when you were younger, and you were tired of being unable to fit in with your peers. You were tired of being picked on, and you found something easy–orchestrating injuries and death as if it were some sorta chess game. I overheard you today, Osgoode. During lunch. How can you explain all that you were saying?”

Osgoode stared up at him in silence, his palms clammy and his skin prickling with goosebumps. Despite the turmoil and guilt he felt in that Virgil knew his ugly secret, he knew that They were nearby. Furious that they were being threatened by Static; that his brother was being held by Static’s power. But his mind was horribly troubled by losing all of Virgil’s interest, trust and perception of him. He’d never wanted Virgil to realize what sort of person he was–instead of anger overcrowding his reaction, agony made his gut curl.

Static gave a weak shrug. “I didn’t want to believe what my sources said about you. But I have evidence. I have proof–overhearing you speak that way...it confirmed it all. I don’t want to believe that you’re this horrible person, because I believe that you’re not. But...but I heard you...”

Eyes burning with frustrated tears, Osgoode didn’t know what to say. His expression said it all. He clenched his fists at his sides, feeling Static’s eyes burning into him. His mouth and throat went dry, his chest tight. When he looked at Richard, his twin was looking at him with a crushed expression.

Static momentarily faltered, hating how his own chest tightened–both at Osgoode’s expression and the seriousness of his dark side. But he stood firm, feeling the beginnings of a sensation in that he wasn’t alone. The hallway, bare and dark, now seemed incredibly full–he felt as if there were many pairs of eyes upon him. He could hear the faint whistles of angered hissing. Growing determined, he curled his fists, power emerging with a bright spark that filled the hallway with light.

“I need to bring you in, Osgoode,” he said quietly. “Your crimes need to be addressed.”

Osgoode stiffened, thinking of prison. The loss of respect from his parents. The freedom Richard would have without him. The very fact that Virgil was against him–that he was exposed. Hurt turned into panic as he looked at Richard, who was looking at Static with horror.

“NO!” he cried, struggling against his invisible restraints once more. “You can’t do that! You’re lying! I don’t know what your problem is, but you can’t take my brother away from me!”

“I have to,” Static said without looking away from Osgoode. He could feel an incredible amount of tension from all around him. The whispers were frantic, and the sensation of an incoming attack was making his entire body stiff. “Justice has to be served. This can’t go on any longer. Besides, wouldn’t you want him to leave you alone? To stop abusing you as he has all these years?”

“It’s my fault! I make him do that! I practically ask for it! He’s just trying to keep me in line–!”

“Jesus,” Static muttered, staring at Osgoode. He felt dispirited in that Osgoode seemed to be considering his choices. He didn’t want a serious confrontation in that Osgoode would permanently regard him as an enemy–this was a ploy to draw out the real monsters. He had something to prove; while Osgoode was dangerous, Static was entirely sure there was a reason why. He couldn’t bring himself to think that Osgoode was darkly resentful of being ‘unwanted’, taking out his frustration and anger with murder. It had to be something else entirely that drove him. Something that even the twin didn’t realize.

Osgoode suddenly stiffened, glaring at his brother. Richard stopped his shouting, snapping his teeth together as he closed his mouth. The silence was a too quick sensation that startled Static, glancing away from Osgoode to Richard. The moment he turned back, he was seeing Osgoode hurling one of the shop vacuums at him, the heavy container startling him in easy flight movement at his body. How Osgoode managed to pick it up and toss it easy startled Static. The device hit him, knocking him off his disc. In the process, he heard Osgoode break something beyond his sight; he hit the floor with a muffled grunt, the shop vac rolling off to the side, hose and cord unraveling in messy display.

He heard Richard scream his brother’s name in complete panic, looking up just in time to see Osgoode rushing at him with a large piece of glass in one hand. So startled at being attacked by his friend, Static couldn’t properly react; but he caught that wrist as Osgoode dropped onto him, his face unrecognizable by his uncontrolled emotions.

The strength Osgoode used had caught Static off-guard; he was much too strong for Static to handle hand to hand. Hearing Richard scream repeatedly for Osgoode to stop, Static shocked his friend. The first zap did nothing but cause Osgoode’s fury to rise–even as he saw the charge hit him, Static was startled to see the slate-gray of his eyes turn a pure white. The hairs on the back of his neck rose–he definitely knew it wasn’t a good sign. He poured more energy into his next charge, this next one causing Osgoode to drop the piece of glass and give a pain wracked scream.

Static kicked him aside, feeling utterly horrible as he did so. As he moved to scramble away, movement caught his eye. Even as his mind screamed in horror, feelings of success hit him instantly. The square-shaped head creatures were reaching for him with Their long, thin arms–but Static reacted instantly by sending high voltages into Their bodies. Their screams were unnaturally loud–their voices crying out in childish octaves that he immediately placed as those behind the whispers in the Foley house.

Success made him confident as he flung the creatures aside, spying Osgoode as he rose shakily from the floor. Static whirled to face him, grinning wide as he gestured at the aliens that were scrambling back to their feet in acrobatic fashion.

“You weren’t lying!” he exclaimed, reclaiming his disk and taking flight. “I just wanted to prove that–!”

“IDIOT! Now that you saw Them, They’re not going to let you live!” Osgoode screamed at him.

“That’s what I thought,” Static muttered, flexing for a moment before using all his energy to draw up all the previously installed water pipes. The aliens, with their flexible movements and stiff reactions, jerked in response to the massive roar that came from underneath them. As the floor shook and the walls rattled, Osgoode looked at Static with incomprehension, Richard protesting from his position on the elevator doors.

Suddenly from all around them, the water pipes crashed through the half-finished walls and floor, the aliens shrieking in alarm. Before they could do anything, water came crashing out from the open pipes, covering all but Static with its chilly blanketing. The twins coughed and sputtered indignantly as their clothes became soaked, Richard unable to even pull his hands away from the door to cover his face.

Even in their discomfort, their eyes were drawn forward to the scene before them. The aliens screamed in agony, steam wafting away from their bodies. They jerked about violently, as if pulled in various directions by invisible string–strange gurgles interrupted Their shrieks, and the smell of burnt rubber began to permeate the air.

Startled at what the reaction caused, Static pulled away from the convulsing creatures, directing the pipes directly over them. Their bodies seemed to wither inwards with a sickening crunch of sound. As Their thin arms flailed over Their heads, mushed faces actually shrinking to reveal individual features, Their bodies seemed to suddenly implode with violent reaction. Their layers of skin and bodysuits expanded outward, almost in rubbery effect.

As They dropped heavily to the floor in death, Static pulled the pipes away from them, pushing them to rest out the window to drain properly. The silence was deafening as he stared down at the bodies before him.

After a few moments, Richard gave a low whistle. “Whoa. So THAT’S why They didn’t like water...”

He hit the floor with an undignified grunt as Static released him, looking at Osgoode with a sense of finality. The younger twin looked away from the aliens with a groggy expression. He studied the superhero for a few moments, absolutely at a loss for what to say. Definitely feeling victorious, Static smiled slightly at him. He reached out with one gloved hand to push water soaked strands out of Osgoode’s face, the twin reacting with an embarrassed duck of his head.

“I’m going to get to the bottom of this,” he said firmly. “There’s a reason behind your anger. I don’t believe you’re this bad person.”

Osgoode stared at him in silent reaction, his cheeks reddening as he removed his glasses to try and clean them. He then lifted his head aggressively, glaring at the dead creatures then at Static.

“What point are you trying to prove?” he then asked sharply. “You don’t know what’s going on!”

“That’s why I’m looking for answers, here! This is why I drew both of you out!” Static gestured at the dead aliens, Richard looking back at them as he sensed Osgoode’s rising agitation.

“You don’t know everything, Virgil! This group here, this is only a few compared to what They really have!” Osgoode shouted. “They’re going to kill you! They’re going to–!”

They won’t! Because what They’re doing to you, what They have going with DNA tampering is WRONG. Supes gave me a heads-up that what these beings are doing is unethical, and–and I’m going to fight it. For the both of you!” Static insisted. “There is no wrong-doing on your part–don’t you get it?”

Osgoode was silent for a few moments, staring at him in confusion. Richard hugged himself, feeling the chill in the air as the moment turned awkward. It felt completely as if the conversation was between them–not him. He hunched his shoulders self-consciously and turned his back to them, using his shoe to nudge the body closest to him.

Static sighed softly, regarding Osgoode with a weary expression. “I want to believe that I can fix this. Creatures from another planet or galaxy isn’t that unusual here on Earth, and other aliens can’t condone the fact that there’s others farming a lot of you for their own personal reasons. Controlling the pair of you for their needs is wrong.”

“No...no, Virge, you don’t get it. I–”

“I remember what you said to me! Every time you tried to talk to me about this, I remember it! You were both created from a mixture of human DNA and alien. You’re being researched as you live on this planet. You were supposed to be ONE person, but turned into two. As a result, it’s quite possible that–”

Osgoode shook his head in frustration, giving him an outraged expression. “You aren’t listening to me! There’s nothing you can do to fix anything–!

What is this?!”

Both Richard and Osgoode gasped. As they whirled to face the hall beyond them, Static felt chills hit him. He turned, seeing a tall Gray alien standing there, thin arms shaking with some unidentifiable emotion. As he realized what he was seeing, Osgoode scrambled away from him, the Gray starting toward them. It was almost as if its feet weren’t touching the floor, floating quickly towards him.

Static used his powers to pull the nearby fire hose from its case, glass shattering loudly. The sensation of ultimate wrongness hit him as he directed it at the alien, which stopped short in its arrival. He found it unsettling how the alien’s eyes seemed to absorb all attention–he couldn’t seem to look away from anything else but those large almond shaped eyes.

“How dare you turn upon us?!” the alien hissed at Osgoode, Static hesitating in activating the water. The alien was directing more of its attention to the twins rather than Static. Seemingly disregarding him completely. “Your own people?!”

“I didn’t do it–!” Osgoode cried, Richard hurrying to him. “I didn’t do this–!”

“You allowed this–this–person...whose intentions are less than honorable into your history. Then you stand by and watch him murder our people as if they are nothing–! How could you? How could you stand by and do nothing when they have served you all their lives–! Of all the unappreciative gestures you could ever do to Us–!”

“He wasn’t the one that did this! I did!” Static growled, slapping his own chest. “I wanted to figure this out, I wanted to solve it! Are you this ‘Harold’ they talk about? Do you realize what you’re doing to them?”

The Gray alien turned its large head toward him; even though its facial expressions didn’t move or shift, Static could feel that it was glaring at him fiercely. He swallowed tightly as silence descended upon them thickly. The twins were clinging to each other unconsciously–neither quite aware that they were doing so. Despite their fear of Harold, it was apparent that by confronting Static, the being seemed...less threatening. More real. Despite it all, they were frightened of what was going to come next as Harold directed his full attention to Static.

Static gestured at them. “They’re humans. They shouldn’t be controlled in the way that you’re doing.”

Harold ‘harrumphed’ in a way that made him more familiar as a human. His hands raised, abnormally long and thin to gestures impatiently. “They belong to Us. They are products that We have created and rightfully own. As such, no one else has rights over them save for Us. What We have for them is decided only by Us, the rightful property owners. You should understand this completely ordinary and comprehensible matter, as a human, shouldn’t you?”

“No...they are not. It’s not fair and it’s not right–!” Static shook his head in disbelief. “How dare you? How dare you do this?! Do you know that the other aliens of this planet know what you’ve done? They don’t think it’s right, either! They’ve also mentioned that it is illegal for you to be doing this–splicing your cells with humans, is unethical!”

Harold tilted his head. “There are...others? Well, no matter. It is none of their matter what We do. Our organization and Our research is nothing of their concern. It is Ours to conduct.”

“What for?” Static demanded, gesturing angrily. “What is the point of creating beings if–!”

“Ours is dying!” Harold snapped. He stiffened, as if he’d made a mistake. Then he lifted his head regally. “Of course, others have done far more disgusting measures to save their race...while We continue to dissipate due to an unforgiving genetic matter in Our forms, We have decided that research into other forms of life may be a key to Our survival. There are others throughout the universe that is researching the very same subject–Our genes seem to work very well with human beings, yet there are still...complications that will need to be researched and evaluated before We decide on a proper carrier...tell me: how is it wrong to save one’s race while admiring another, choosing to flatter and respect by mimicking to inherit or better their genetic makeup? Personally, humans should be flattered that Ours has chosen them for replication.”

Static blinked, shaking his head once more. “I can understand you want to save your race. But to barge in and steal what isn’t yours, claiming that you’re in respect for that form–you’re basically plagiarizing. And in the worst way! I’m sure there’s better ways of–!”

“Given a choice to save your people, wouldn’t you do what it takes? We have found a way, and We have found it satisfactory! There are many accomplishments on this planet, roaming freely among the rest of you! Save for a few...complications here and there,” Harold seemed to regard Osgoode coldly, Richard frowning as he clenched his brother’s hand tightly, “Our research seems to be holding quite successfully in terms of achievement. With these creations, you’ve a much smarter, stronger, resilient human. Had you performed some research on the specimens before you, you’d have realized just how great Our work has turned out.”

“It is still WRONG!” Static growled. “You’re gone beyond trying to save your race–what you’re doing is using that excuse for some illegitimate research slash science scheme to excuse your actions! It’s like mad scientists trying to excuse mutilation and mutation in the name of science! It ain’t right! Especially when you’re killing innocent people!”

“Threats to Our research will be penalized immediately!” Harold snapped. Then, as an afterthought, he reached up to remove his helmet–upon doing so, Static recoiled from him in horror. Harold’s unfinished face screwed with insistence as he continued speaking. But as he did so, Static studied his face–seeing traces of the twins there.

“They are valuable to Us–all of Our children are. Those that threaten to harm them will pay the consequence. Even if We have created many successful children in the name of saving Our race, there are still flaws in Our make-up that needed to be examined and studied so that the next batch will be perfected. Once We have a sizable and an agreeable makeup that allows Our race to continue to thrive, We will leave this planet with Our research that will, quite indeed, benefit Our race. As supervising commanding officer over the research being conducted over Earth, I have determined the threats and have had them neutralized in order to keep them safe.”

Static looked back at the twins. The twins looked back at him helplessly, but he noticed the quiet rage in Osgoode’s tense expression. He ached for the twin that was regarded so callously. He knew that Osgoode was very important–he was very much cared for despite his psychotic tendencies. He wanted to believe that that certain trait of his was only caused by the aliens that haunted them.

He turned back to Harold. “You’ll stop this. You’ll let them go. They don’t want anymore of your interference in their lives. You’re basically terrorizing them with your constant visits! What’s going to happen with them after you’re finished with your ‘research’?”

Harold shifted, heaving an annoyed sigh. “We have taken precautions with Our studies. They cannot reproduce without Our interference, but I doubt you’ll have this problem with these two, as they have been created with the homosexual gene. We have made it so that their DNA cannot be duplicated–We cannot have any outside replication.”

“You’re straying off subject. That’s NOT what I asked.”

Harold quieted for a few moments, then gestured. “Once We are finished with Our research, We will eliminate all traces of Our enquiries. The families they have been placed will be tampered to execute any memory they may have of their children–they themselves will be removed and all traces of their existence will be tampered with. It has been done for far longer than you yourself has existed.”

“You can’t do that!” Static cried. “Do you realize that what you’re attempting is all wrong?! You can be brought to justice for this, and not in Earth courts–but by others that don’t excuse your actions. I won’t let you do that! In fact, I can stop you right now–”

“Furthermore, it is none of your business what We have for them. What We want. Personally, I could care less if you take Osgoode–he is worthless to Us. Nothing but an afterthought, and too much trouble for Us to keep up with,” Harold added with disdain, Static stiffened. “Give Us Richard–do with Osgoode as you wish. We have no further use for him.”

Before Static could say anything, Richard stepped forward with an angry snarl. “My brother stays where he is! You’ve no right to take him from me, and for the excuse that he’s worthless is completely unforgivable! I won’t go anywhere without him! He is NOT worthless!”

Harold stepped in toward him, snarling right back. “You know your background–! You were only to be one person! But your brother soils the research We’ve built on the pair of you! He ruins it with his thoughtless actions, and to be excused for what abuse he does to you is unacceptable! According to your psychologists, he is a dangerous sociopath that will never completely blend in with human standards! This is a trait that We do not want in Our makeup! Aggression and violence is not favorable in Our genes. He is a failed experiment, and he must be destroyed in order for Our perfection to thrive–!”

“NO!” Static cried, hands flashing brightly with power. While facing Harold, he wasn’t aware that Osgoode’s eyes were turning white once more, his skin burning with rising anger. His fingers curled into fists, his shoulders shaking as Harold’s words continued to course over him. “I won’t let you touch him! I won’t let any of you near him! He’s a human being–there’s something wrong with the way you’re treating him that drives him to do what he does! With proper attention, he can change!”

Never. He has shown no regret in what he does, and he continues to take out his anger and frustration in unnatural human ways. This murderous trait of his will only grow worse–do you really want to keep him here among you, walking freely as he kills? How would you feel when he attacks those closest to you?”

“He won’t. He isn’t like that–he just needs help. An evaluation will determine the problem that he may have, but I’m sure it’s all because of what sort of shit you–you aliens put on him! With your attitude, you’re only worsening things! Making him feel as if he isn’t important or worth any effort is only contributing to his feelings! That ain’t right! I know he’s a good person, and I know he loves his family and brother–there are other ways that he needs to see that–!”

This is bullshit!”

Both Static and Harold turned away from each other to see that Osgoode had his brother’s head tilted back against his shoulder, that large piece of glass pressed against his windpipe. Richard wasn’t trying to struggle or fight, standing awkwardly in a position he couldn’t escape from. But his face was white with fear, every movement compliant as Osgoode faced the superhero and the alien with his face mottled with rage.

“It’s not fair! You keep insisting that the both of us are mistakes! You keep drilling into our heads that we were only supposed to be one person! You keep telling me that I’m the mistake! That all that is valuable is Richard! It’s always about him! Him! Him! Him! And don’t deny it, Virgil, you couldn’t even tell us apart!” he shrieked furiously.

Static lifted his hands slowly, feeling cold and stiff as faced the situation before him. Harold growled, thin arms shaking once more.

“You see?” he hissed in Static’s direction. “He needs immediate execution in order to preserve the lives of those around you! I demand that you let him go, Osgoode! Or the consequences in his death will be unforgiving. You’ll spend the last moments of your pathetic life regretting this stand!”

“I’m not pathetic! I’m not a mistake!” Osgoode cried, hand trembling dangerously as the piece of glass cut into pale skin. But it wasn’t clear who it was he’d cut–his fingers were curled fiercely around the glass, and while Richard was scared, he didn’t seem to be in pain. “I feel everything just like everybody else! I think the same–maybe a little differently in various matters, but–! It isn’t as if I haven’t regretted things! I do love my brother and my family! I do have goals and aspirations, and I have regrets and wishes! I am human–it just isn’t fair that I am not treated the same as my brother!”

“Oz...Oz...let him go, man. C’mon–c’mon, you don’t want to do that,” Static said slowly, his voice pleading. “I know you, bro. I know you’ll regret it. I know you feel–you are everything that you said, and what this thing here says isn’t right. But you’re wrong, man. It isn’t always about Richard–you just think that way because of what this thing says. But it isn’t. It never was. You’re just as important as he is. You always were.”

Osgoode swallowed tightly, eyes jumping from Static to Harold, breathing shakily as he held his brother tight to him. He could feel Richard swallowing in the same manner as he, his skin sweaty where they made contact. He felt regret in making this stand, but Harold was talking that way again–making him out into a mistake and Richard out into the most important. His own insecurity and jealousy made him react faster than he could think.

Harold crossed his arms in disgust. “Let go of him, Osgoode. You shall regret this. You shall regret ever disobeying me–!”

Static turned and sent a charge into him, the alien convulsing wildly before flopping to the floor in an ungainly mess. As he whirled to face Osgoode once more, he was startled to hear Richard speaking quietly to his brother in a manner that was perturbing.

“Go ahead, Ozzie. I know you’re annoyed with me. I know I don’t make you very happy, and everything I do seems to push you away from me. I love you more than anything, Oz, and I don’t like it when you’re mad and frustrated. I think you should just do it–get back at Them. If it’s truly me that They want, just do it. Get rid of me. Then They can’t say that, anymore.”

Don’t say that!” Static barked, growing frustrated with the situation. “Oz, don’t do it! It’s not the right way–things can be fixed! You’ll regret this! You can’t do that, it’s just not inside of you to do that!”

“Just do it, Oz. I won’t think badly of you–at least you’ll be happier without me. Maybe They’ll leave you alone, and you can live freely. They won’t have to bother you, anymore. And it’ll really be troublesome for them. Just do it, Ozzie. Mom and dad will understand...it’s okay.”

Osgoode seemed to still, frozen in place as his brother’s words drifted over him. Static watched them closely with horror on his face, Harold shifting in jerky movements upon the floor. The shadows began shifting, more aliens materializing around them to surrounded them. Their childish whispers seemed to grow louder, filling the tense silence. Hisses joined harsh words, hands clenching in reaction to what They could see.

It bothered Static that Osgoode was actually considering his brother’s words. As Harold snarled unintelligible words, trying to rise from the floor to give a command, Static realized that more than one situation had to be addressed after he saved the day.

Jaw tight, he studied Osgoode’s hold on Richard, and the distance between them and They. The fire hose was still unraveled and ready for activation–on second glance, he saw that it had been shredded near the main output, the line tossed away from the main pump. Shaking his head, he figured that the pipes he’d used earlier had been dismantled. He needed a reliable back up, but with the situation running in front of him, he needed action now.

He exhaled shakily, hearing Harold bark out an order. With a harsh sweep of his arm, he caught hold of one of the pipes, directing it to curl around Osgoode, jerking him away from Richard with unforgiving movement. At the same time, he was pulling the other water pipes from their positions within the windows, using them as bats to hit the aliens away from the two. Harold rose to attack him, but he used his disk to block those spindly arms from reaching him, grunting in concentration as he completely wrapped Osgoode’s body in metal.

From there, he grunted again as he flung the twin out the large window, seeing the aliens quickly recover from the impacts to shriek in fury. He heard pain-filled gasps, immediately determining that Richard had been injured in the capturing of his brother. Glancing at him, seeing red dripping onto the carpet, he grimaced. Harold shouted in dismay, the aliens quickly moving toward him as the head scientist turned to face Static with a furious face.

Remembering that They were not invincible, that They could be defeated, Static grit his teeth. Moving quickly, he shot through the hallway, snatching Richard from the floor and flying out from the window. He spied Osgoode on the dirt below, rolling furiously as he tried to free himself from the ensnarement of pipes that curled around his body. The aliens were following him as he whipped out into the night air, swooping low onto the ground to toss Richard aside, far away from his brother in case Osgoode should escape. From there, he pushed his hands outward, focusing on the city’s pipes below ground.

He had defeated Hotstreak in this way, before. He figured it couldn’t fail him–if he could only focus on the right pipe...

From his peripheral vision, he could see that They were clamoring down toward the twins, Harold barking out orders from the hallway. His unfinished face was twitching in various areas, his lidless eyes wide and furious. His bared teeth snapped together with anger, and Static grunted as he heard the rumble from below the packed earth, the aliens pausing in Their actions as They glanced around with questioning sounds.

The large metal pipe burst upward, piercing the night air with metallic protest. Once the aliens spied the large curve of metal that was being manipulated to face Them, They started to shriek, edging toward the shadows in jerky movements.

“You ain’t going no where!” Static shouted fiercely as water spurted out from the wide mouth with a rumble, turning into a blast of liquid that hit the creatures in a fierce wave.

The aliens shrieked in agony, Static steadfastly directing the pipe over all the aliens below him. Harold screamed in dismay from his position in the second floor window, indignantly screaming for a stop to his actions.

Static faced him, a determined expression on his face. “I’ll just keep killing more, keep gettin’ rid of your people if you decide to stay. Don’t think that I can’t–I’ll spread the word to the others, as well. Your operation, your race will die out completely once my alien friends have my word on what you’re doing. I promise you, all your research will be for nothin’ when we get rid of the lot of you. It’ll all be worthless.”

Harold stared at him with an expression of outrage, visibly stiffening. Static saw that he’d finished off those that were on the ground, and directed the pipe straight up in order to stifle the continuous stream of water that was held within.

The silence was tense. The alien was unwavering in his penetrating stare as he considered Static’s words.

Then his teeth snapped together. Water built and overflowed over the mouth of the broken pipe, spilling to the ground in a somewhat comforting wave of sound.

“Both of them will be left alone,” Static said firmly, not looking away from Harold. “They’ll be cut completely from your stupid research. You’ll let them free. Maybe I can’t stop you from conducting your entire operation, but I want these two free. That’s all.”

Harold’s face reddened, but his eyes strayed to the twins below him. Mere seconds passed as he considered this.

Static frowned. “What’s it going to be? It should be simple–two over hundreds?”

Harold growled low in his throat. His eyes flashed as he glared at him. His entire body was stiff, fists curled at his sides. His tone was filled with regret as he spoke. “Agreed. They are yours, now. We will no longer accept them, nor continue Our research upon them. They are...free.”

Static couldn’t hide his relieved smile. “Thank you.”