Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ In the Dark ❯ Flight ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Gensosuikoden: In the dark

By: Kouken_Sasarai

Notes from the author: I've always wanted to make a story that focuses on Luc's POV. I don't plan on focusing on the pre-Suikoden 1 storyline though. I want to also focus on his POV in between and during all the Suikodens. It's been done already by many other writers… hopefully my version pars at some good level against them.

Disclaimer: Suikoden and its characters belong to their respected companies (Konami and such) and no money was made in the production of this Fanfiction.

Chapter 1: Flight

He reached a hand out above him where an open window allowed some light enter the dark room he occupied. This was as close as he could go to see and touch natural light for more than a year now. They had put him in that room after he had found those men conjuring something that was meant to be another of him. Anger had consumed him as he saw the crystal like object hovering in the middle of that room, filled what seemed to be items from human sources. He was created the same way… No… No! He refused to be related to such a thing. He was human! In result, he used the power he was given from birth. He would not accept it. It was a lie… It just had to be.

But… he had seen that other one as well, walking in the halls of the temple, highly protected by temple guards. He was just like him… the colour of his hair… his eyes… and the very same face. It was proof. But compared to him, he was nothing more than just an object that holds something important for that blasted country. In the end, he was thrown into that room… a mere prisoner… a mere possession… forever hidden in the dark.

For more than a year had he endured this life of captivity. For more than a year had he remained in silence. For more than a year had he contemplated… and nurtured his hatred for them… hatred for the men who kept him in this darkness… and hatred for that other one who was pampered and given status. Unlike him who lives as an object than a person. He would be free from this darkness… and free himself from such a cursed fate as he was given…

A mere mirror…

A mere reflection…

A mere copy…

Rays of moonlight reached his emerald eyes and caressed his face, pale from his long confinement, as it passed through the gaps of his hand; fingers spread open as if seeking to touch… absorb the non-existent warmth of the cold night.

Oh how he longed to be free from this room.

He turned quickly to the door across the room. It was a metal door, well protected by spells and various scrolls that can be triggered if he tried to open it or use his magic against it. To be more precise, everything in the room had that same trap… the one window… the walls.

There were sounds of people moving about, shouting echoing in the halls. That door only opened when the bishops came to lecture him and remind him of his position as the holder of the rune. They dared not to touch him as they feared what his right hand held. But they have enough strength to tell him who he was… his worth… just as long as they were behind walls of defensive magic… and safe in numbers.

He got up from the floor where the small amount of light reached and walked cautiously to the door. The sounds of shouting became clearer and clearer. He stopped a few steps away from the door as the voices outside was loud enough for him to understand. Someone had entered the temple without permission… an intruder!

With half-lidded eyes he grinned solemnly in the dark. Serves them right…

Click.

He looked at the door curiously. The lock had been opened outside? No, that couldn't be. He walked closer to the door, stopping only a step away from it. It would have been enough for his hands to reach out for the handle and open the door, but he hesitated. It couldn't be possible. He swallowed deeply and held his breath, mustering his courage as he reached slowly for the handle.

"This way!"

He froze as he heard the one of the guards shout. He gazed at the door and down to his hand. He was just less than an inch from reaching it. It was close… so close. Looking a while longer at it, he shook his head. It was just not possible.

His courage had faltered.

"Why do you hesitate?" a voice called out just as he was about to pull away his hand.

He looked at the door questioningly. Was he was hearing voices now? He lowered his hand to his side. The many months of his captivity must have driven him close to a state of insanity.

"The door is open. Why do you hesitate?" The voice repeated to him.

He looked at the door again. There was someone at the other side of it. So he wasn't hearing things.

"Go on." The voice urged.

He reached out again, and this time, his small fingers touched the handle of the door. It felt cold… colder than the walls of the room at night time. Once again, he held his breath, wrapping his hands around the door and pulling it with all his might. The door's hinges squealed in protest as it opened, letting a blinding light enter the dim moonlit room. He narrowed his eyes as the light touched them in full force. He held one arm over his eyes, trying to block out the brightness.

His eyes slowly adjusted to the light, revealing the figure standing at the other side. It was a woman of fair coloured skin and sleek long black hair, wearing a cloak of shimmering light blue and pink. She stood before him with eyes closed, but a kind smile adorned her face. She held her hand out to him.

"I am called Leknaat." She told him in a gentle voice. "Come with me… I will free you from this place."

He raised a brow at her in suspicion.

"I will explain everything you need to know later. We must leave quickly before they find us."

She was right. Like it or not, he would not likely stumble upon a chance to escape this place again. He wouldn't want to loose this opportunity. He nodded. Placing his hand in hers, she wrapped her hand around his and a bright light encircled them both.

"There!" A soldier pointed to them as two more soldiers joined his side.

"Your name…" Leknaat asked, but only loud enough for the boy alone to hear. "What is it?"

"… Luc." The boy answered in an inaudible voice.

"STOP!" the soldier shouted as they ran to them.

"I see." Leknaat said as another smile formed on her serene face.

She turned to the soldiers, as the light grew brighter to a flash. When the light cleared, Leknaat and the boy called Luc were no longer there.

(to be continued…)