Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ As the Rose Falls ❯ But Can't We Stay? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As The Rose Falls

Chapter 3. But Can't We Stay?

By: Dashing V. and Hellions K.

Knives cocked a fair brow at the plushie that was now shoved in his face. "Very nice dear brother," he said with a sigh as he resisted the urge to shove the plushie away. He was glad when Vash pulled it back, but he frowned at the noises that his twin's cloak made.

"Brother," he said in a little louder tone, trying to catch the excited and blissfully happy gunman's attention. "We have to go," much needed stress was added to the word go.

"Unless you enjoy walking 100 iles in the dark," he added dryly to stress his point again. Meaning time to leave...now!

He stops he twirling and looks at his brother, the Merle doll hugged closely to him, as the words that his brother spoke got through, at least to a point.

"But, brroootheeeer," the man whined not happy about having to leave the city of October, "Couldn't we stay here for the night? And can't I get some more donuts?"

He looked down at the dirt and kicked it with his toe as people thronged about the two.

Again the man sighed, raising his left hand to the bridge of his nose and began to rub it as he closed his eyes.

"I don't know if we're going to have enough money to say, brother. The supplies cost more then what was originally planned. Unless you have money stashed someplace."

He peeked open an eye, just a tiny crack, to look at his brother looking all dejected, kicking at the dirt. This was just not his day.

"As late as it is getting," he added with a sigh, "We might as well stay in the city if we have the money. Otherwise I'm going to have to deal with you whining all the way to the city of December about not being able to go to the festival."

'Why me,' Knives though, 'Why does this always happen to me.' He then turned and wove his way through the crowd so that he could set the packs down and see exactly how much money the pair of them had left. At least the money that was left in his possession.

The gunman looked up at his brother's words, a sudden smile lighting on his face as he all but bounced after the other man, "Really, brother!? We can really stay!?"

Tucking the plushie under his arm Vash pulled out some of his money and counted it. He looked thoughtful as he looked over his brother's shoulder. "I think we have enough, dear brother!" he cried happily as he shoved his money into his brother's hands. "You're right it is late," he said off handedly as he started to make his way through the crowd, heading in no particular direction, "So where shall we stay, brother?" Vash questioned.

"Yes, yes we can stay," came the response from the fairer haired man as he counted the money he had in his possession. Only for his eyes to widen slightly as his twin thrusted a pile of money into his already full hands in the middle of his counting.

He looked up at his twin, then to the money then back to his twin that was walking away and sighs. 'I'm going to regret this, I just know it,' he thought to himself. "Where ever you wish to stay, dear brother," he replied to Vash over his question of where to stay he thought that it be best to humor his dear twin.

The darker headed man bounced back over and actually gave his brother a hug as he beamed. Then turning he picked up a couple of the packs as he put his prized plushie inside his cloak.

Shouldering the packs he waved at his brother, "Come! We must get a room and go see more of the festival!"

Then making his way off through the crowd, his still sand filled hair waving gently behind him the gunman went in search of a hotel where they could stay.

Making his way through the throng, heading towards the edge of town, he at last saw one that piqued his interest, "This way, brother!" he called back to Knives as he made his way inside and up to the desk.

The clerk regarded them for a few moments, taking in their scruffy looking state, "May I help you gentleman?" he finally asks.

Vash nodded, "Yes, we would like a room please and a bath," he added this last on.

The man nodded, "Then that will be $$53," money exchanged hands for keys, "There will be tubs readied for you in your room, sirs."

Nodding Vash made his way up the stairs to room 3 and unlocked the door and left it open for his twin. Stepping in he looked at the small room and sighed happily as he dumped the packs on the floor, this was money well spent to him, for he really did love this city.

Knives stiffened slightly at the hug, mostly because he wasn't expecting it. He just sighed and shook his head after his twin let go as he placed a hand to his forehead, thinking 'Why me...' as Vash stashed his prized plushie.

Following Vash along he looked about a bit as he adjusted the remaining packs that he was carrying. He entered behind Vash and cocked a fair brow at the price of the hotel. 'Not to bad, little higher then normal I do believe but...I guess that is to be expected with the festival and all.' The man actually perked slightly at his twin's mentioning of a bath. They had been traveling quite some time he almost forgot what it was like to be clean. The pair of them may be well kept but that doesn't mean that travels allowed them to bathe regularly.

He too dropped his packs once inside the small room, once free of them he walked over to the bed and flopped down upon it on his back, arms spread out wide as his feet dangled off the end.

"You know dear brother, now that we have this room I'm actually looking forward to sleeping on a nice soft bed for a change," Knives commented to his brother as he stared at the ceiling.

* * * *

Now feeling much better after the bath that had been brought to them the tall blond man let out a happy sigh as he pulled on some clean pants and a clean shirt. His body suit had really needed a wash, which was tribute to the fact that it now hung off the curtain rod at one of the windows to dry.

Picking his sunglasses off the table by the bed he turned and grinned at his brother, his soggy hair like a dead weight behind him, "So what do you say we go see more of the festival dear brother." It wasn't a question for there was no question as to what he was going to do. For even if Knives did stay in the room he would still go down to the festival...but...well maybe boots would be a good idea, thus while waiting for an answer from the fairer headed man he sat on the bed to pull said boots on.

The fairer haired man walked out of the bathroom a few moments later toweling his head off, dressed in a pair of pants. Bare feet padding across the floor quietly. Such a contrast between the two, for unlike Vash he retained not one scar on his fair flesh. "Hmmm," he said as he dropped the towel onto his shoulders.

A bath was definitely an enjoyable experience since these two had been traveling quite some time before they had last been to a city were they could seek lodging.

Pale brows loft at the mention of the word festival, he really didn't feel like going but it probably would be good for him to have human contact. "Yes, dear brother, I do believe that I will join you in your indulgent need to see the festival," he replied as he threw the towel on the bed and went to dig through one of the packs for a clean shirt. Truth be known he was curious of this festival as well. It was something that was new to him, something that he had never heard of in their travels.

Pulling a shirt free and a pair of socks the tall man pulls the shirt on after tossing the socks on the bed, buttoning it as he walks across the room to get his boots as well. He picked them up and headed back over to the bed and sat down. He pulled on the socks then the boots, before he stood up to tuck his shirt in. He held his hands up above his head, fingers laced together he stretched, back arching slightly with his motion.

"It feels so good to be clean," he comments off handily in mid stretch.

His own body suit would be draped over the edge of one of the tubs to dry. It was the only other item that he wanted clean, for he would need it when they left the city. It was one of the few items the he and his twin possessed to keep comfortable in their treks across the still mostly desert planet.

Vash looked up at his brother from where he sat on the bed as he finished tying his boots, "Yeah, it does feel good doesn't it."

Getting up he too stretched, not being able to resist the urge, and oooh did it feel good. "Ah! Now that was just what I needed," he said as he finished and then started walking towards the door, "Well, dear brother! Let's go! The festivities are waiting! As are the ladies!"

He grinned widely then and pulled open the door to their room to bound out into the hall and towards the stairs.

"I'll follow you and what might your plans be dear brother? As soon as we enter the festival?" Knives asked as he picked up the cloak and draped it over one arm before following Vash out into the hallway.

Making sure he had a key he locked the door behind him. At least the pair of them looked a bit more 'civilized' as they left the hotel. Though he had not shaved and probably wouldn't for some time. What was the need they would be leaving in a few days to take care of more of the plants in their journeys and the stubble would just return to be unheeded till it's length got to long and had to be cut out of irritation then anything else. He had shaved a couple of weeks ago so it was fine with him.

He follows his bounding brother who he figures is going to turn into a the equivalent to a 5 year old human child as soon as he hits the festival outside. At least one of them has to be the adult in this situation.

------------------------------------------------------------

Once the pair of them had reached the cafe the fake Wolfwood opened the doors for the still confused woman as she hugged the plush puppets still.

Weaving her way inside the fake Vash headed towards the back room to drop off the puppets..at least two of the puppets as she returned still hugging the Vash one. Finding a booth she sunk down into the soft seat, not caring that several people were asking her questions about the cafe or how she was doing. Slumping down against the seat she closed her eyes as she squeezed the puppet a little tighter. 'What was it about him,' she thought.

"I hope your not stressing yourself out to much, friend," the fake Wolfwood said as he sat down.

"I'll be fine Nick," the fake gunman replied. "I always am..."

Her words just trailed off softly as she didn't even open her eyes when the other sat down. She didn't need to, Nick was her closest friend so she knew what he was doing even though she couldn't see him. They knew each other well enough to read what the other was going to do most of the time without ever seeing each other. That is why they were the favored pair to re-enact what little scripts that were recorded long ago from various situations between the real Wolfwood and Vash the Stampede.

"Hey, now I'm suppose to be cheering you up remember." Nick said with a light sigh. "What do you want for Lunch?"

"Surprise me, Nick," was the fake Vash's only response.