Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Forgivness ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Forgiveness
Author: Dubird
Pairings: I guess a bit of MerylXVash, but it's not the focus of the story.
Rating: PG-13 for some swearing
Standard Disclaimer: I don't own Trigun. This is just one of the many fan spawned writings of another crazy person. I also go to college and have lots of loans to pay off, so if you're looking for money, you've come to the wrong place!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meryl stormed down the hallway, slamming doors behind her. 'That pig-headed, spiky-haired idiot!' she fumed to herself. 'What the hell does he think he's going to accomplish anyway?' She stomped into the kitchen, almost running into Millie, who was occupied with making breakfast.

"Good morning, senpai!" Millie chirped, happily stirring oatmeal and ignoring Meryl's scowl. "I was just about to take breakfast up to Mr. Knives." She pointed at the tray on the table, neatly laid with a bowl of oatmeal, silverware, napkins, and juice.

"Never mind doing that, Millie," she replied. "I'll take His Highness's breakfast up to him!" Forgetting her fear of him in the heat of her anger, she grabbed the tray and marched out the door towards the stairs.

"Senpai?" Millie watched her go, her face mirroring her confusion at this change of behavior, which Meryl ignored. Normally, she tended to avoid Knives, epically in the morning when she wasn't exactly in the most patient of moods. This morning, however, Meryl was simply angry. She headed upstairs to Knives's room and nudged the door open. The source of her anger was currently sitting propped up against the headboard looking out the window. She noticed that he was also sporting a black eye and looked rather disgruntled. She deposited the tray on his lap with a sniff. "Here. Eat." She backed away a couple of steps and crossed her arms over her chest. Knives looked down at the tray, then back up at her, his cold eyes boring into hers. Meryl shifted her feet slightly, a bit un-nerved by that look and masking it by scowling at him. "I didn't poison it, you know. If I wanted to kill you, I'd just shoot you."

Knives raised an eyebrow at that, and looked at her, wondering why she was staying instead of just dropping his tray off and leaving. She didn't seem to want to linger around up here. "Was there something you wanted to ask me?" he said as mildly as he could, trying to keep his calm. For some reason, she always seemed to be able to stir his anger. A large part of that was the way she always seemed to pick on Vash, but that wasn't the only reason.

Meryl just glared at him. "Actually, I do have a question for you. When are you going to grow up?"

"What?"

"Just what I said. I'm assuming your being an ass is simply a phase you're going through and I wanted to know when you're going to get over it."

His eyes narrowed and he glared back at her, barely able to keep any kind of calm. "You go to far," he said quietly, in that soft voice that always cowed those around him.

"No, I don't think I go far enough!" she snapped. "Yes, you're some psychotic homicidal maniac, but you could at least try to understand what's going on around you. Hell, you could at least be polite! Being psychotic doesn't excuse you from good manners!"

The corners of his mouth twitched slightly as if he was trying to keep from laughing at that, which only made Meryl madder. 'How DARE he laugh at me?' she thought to herself, ignoring the fact that she had made a rather silly remark.

"My apologies then," he said mildly, suddenly amused by her attitude. Good manners? He could match manners with the most tutored scholar in existence. After all, that was one of the first things Rem had taught the both of them. 'No, you're not going to think about that. She was wrong, after all. No matter how much she tried to delude herself and Vash.' He glared back at Meryl, his momentary amusement disappearing. "However, I see no reason to be polite to you."

"Why...you...!!" Meryl took a deep breath through her teeth to settle her thoughts. "I suppose it's because I'm human, right?" she asked rather sarcastically.

"Actually, that is a part of it."

She rolled her eyes at that. "Just because we don't have your abilities you think we're worthless. Well let me tell you something, Mr. High-and-Mighty. We've managed to survive on this God-forsaken backwater planet. And we've managed to do more than survive!"

"Yes, with help."

"Help? I suppose you're right. But from what I remember from my Earth history, we humans have lived just fine without any of your help for hundreds of years!" She dropped one hand to her hip, pointing one finger at him to get her point across. "And believe me, bub, we could've survived just fine on this planet without the help of your kind! Sure, more of us would have died, but we would have done it! Humans are survivors!"

"So are cockroaches."

Meryl had no idea what a cockroach was, but realized that she had just been insulted. "You better be glad you're injured! We may be cockroaches, whatever those are, but we certainly don't need your approval, you jackass!"

The tray clattered to the floor as Knives stood up at that comment, his blue eyes flashing with anger. Meryl took an involuntary step backwards. 'Oh my God, I've just pissed off Millions Knives. What the hell is wrong with me??'