Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Blind ❯ Where I've Become So Numb ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well guys and dolls, are you all ready for the next installment of "Love is Blind"? I hope so, cause I work kinda hard to think of good plots and whatever (or lack there of). I've gotten some good reviews, but they have to keep coming if you want the story to keep going! So just give a little review after you read it, even just to say "Cool" or whatever. Of course, you can flame me too *watery puppy dog eyes*
Lastly, this chapter contains little parts of episode #17-Rem Saverem. I was debating over either using the real script or changing it around. I chose to make up some of the lines to lessen the chance of getting sued, cause I just didn't know what to do. Onward!
Disclaimer: I do not own Trigun. (emphasis on the DO NOT) Pioneer and Yosuhiro Nightow do. See! NOW YOU CAN'T SUE ME!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Love is Blind - Chapter 3
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Aurora's bruise disappeared about a week and a half after the "Stephen Incident" as she called it in her mind. This was also a time of great excitement and joy on the mother ship - for those who could see what it was all about.
Numerous party crackers went off as the picture on the outside vision screen appeared inside the cockpit. Everyone cheered and patted each other's backs.
"That's our new planet!" Rem cried. "We'll land and make it a beautiful place to live."
Knives glanced over at Vash as he grabbed four crackers, three for himself and one for Aurora. He handed in to her and sat up again.
"Ready?" he asked.
"Ready!" Aurora replied, nodding.
"GO!"
They both pulled the strings attached to the bottom of the crackers and confetti and tiny colored streamers flew everywhere. Aurora giggled. Knives turned to her with a disgusted look on his face.
"You can't even see the confetti and streamers, so why are you giggling?" he asked.
Aurora just smiled. "I like the sound it makes when it pops!" she said.
Knives sat back, still disgusted.
Everyone was excited to be landing soon, especially Aurora. She couldn't wait until she could find a doctor to repair her eyes.
"How did you lose your eyesight in the first place?" Vash asked one day while the two friends were in the rec room, alone.
"Well," Aurora started, "a little more than a year and a half ago . . ."
An alarm sounded on the SEED mother ship. Joey turned his chair to see a button flashing below a label reading "SUSPENDED ANIMATION ROOM". He hurriedly pressed the button and a camera from inside the SA1 room clicked on.
An SA machine containing a small girl was short-circuiting. It could no longer suspend her and she would die from the ice-cold temperatures inside the room.
Rem rushed in with Stephen following her.
"What's the problem, Joey?" she cried.
Joey turned to look at her for a brief moment, then turned back to the screen.
"The SA unit suspending that girl has short-circuited and she will die if we don't act fast!" he said.
"Then let's go get her out!" Rem cried frantically.
They all rushed to the machine in temperature-resistant space suits so they wouldn't die themselves. After opening the machine, which resembled a test tube, the girl almost instantly awoke.
"Don't open your eyes!" Rem cried. "There's a gas in here that will damage your eyesight!"
But it was too late. The girl had already opened her eyes out of habit, and the gas took effect. Her vision blurred, then faded until all she could see was black. She screamed and collapsed.
"Get her out of here!" Joey yelled. "Take her to the infirmary!"
Stephen who was, for once, sober, grabbed the girl and ran to the infirmary. There, the girl cried while Rem held her close.
"I'm blind!" she screamed. "I'll never be able to see anyone ever again!"
"There, there. Don't worry," Rem said, trying to soothe her. "I'll take care of you. What's your name?"
"A-Aurora," the girl shyly replied.
"I've learned to live with it," Aurora said. "But I still hope I'll get a special surgery on our new planet that will repair my eyes." Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. "I...I really want to see you, Vash."
Vash smiled. "You'll be able to see everyone, Aurora!" he exclaimed.
"Yes ... but I want to see you the most," Aurora mumbled.
"Nani?"
She giggled. "Never mind," she said.
Rem arrived along with Knives to cut the boys' hair. While Vash was having his hair cut, Knives and Aurora sat in the shade of a nearby tree. Aurora busied herself reading a Braille book, while Knives just kept staring at her with a deep hatred in his eyes. The mouse didn't notice the cat's evil stare, so she kept on reading. Knives suddenly got up noisily and started walking out of the room.
"Knives?" Aurora inquired. "Where are you going?"
Knives refused to reply. Aurora called after him again.
"Knives!"
He still wouldn't reply.
After Rem finished cutting Vash's hair, she turned to call Knives.
"Okay, now let's switch. Knives-," when she opened her eyes from her gentle smile, Knives was nowhere to be seen. "Now where did he go?" she wondered aloud.
"He left a while ago," Aurora said quietly.
"Did he say where he was going?"
"No. When I called out to him, he wouldn't answer."
"That's strange. I wonder if something's wrong," Rem said, suddenly looking worried.
"I'll go find him!" Vash volunteered, jumping down from the barber chair. He ran out of the room.
It turns out that Knives preferred to cut his own hair. That night, in the dining hall, everyone commented on Vash and Knives's haircuts.
"You look like a philosopher, Knives," Mary said.
"What do I look like?" Vash asked eagerly.
"A 'Mama's Boy'," everyone else said, laughing.
A glass slammed down on the table over near the bar. Everyone at the dining table turned to see Steve getting up from the bar bench, obviously drunk.
"I don't understand how you guys can stand to eat with those monsters," he said, motioning to Vash and Knives.
"I think you've had one too many, Steve," Mary said looking a bit disgusted.
"Oh no I haven't, baby," Steve said, putting his arms around Mary's neck. She pushed him off of her. "Knock it off!" she cried. Knives smirked.
"A grown man acting like THAT in front of children?" he said. "You ought to be ashamed."
Stephen glared at him for a moment, then started laughing maniacally and practically danced out of the room. Everyone except Aurora stared after him until he could no longer be seen nor heard.
As everyone started to leave, Knives stayed behind to wait for Aurora, who was always the last to leave. Aurora accidentally bumped into him on her way out.
"Oh, sorry, Knives," she said cheerfully. "I thought I was the only one here."
"Hm," Knives groaned, annoyed. Then he perked up his voice. "Joey wanted me to escort you to the briefing room. He wants to speak with you."
Aurora's face showed that of deep thought. "I wonder why...". She shrugged it off. "Oh well. Thanks a bunch, Knives. I appreciate it!" She smiled at him.
"No problem," Knives replied. He took her hand. Aurora blushed a little. "Now let's get there before they think we got ... lost."
They walked out of the dining hall and down numerous halls Aurora had not yet memorized. She became tense and nervous.
"Are you sure we're going the right way?" she asked in a small voice.
"Of course," Knives said. "Don't you trust me?"
"...Yes."
"Then you have nothing to worry about."
Aurora and Knives walked in silence for the rest of the way. Finally, Knives stopped.
"Here we are," he declared proudly.
Aurora felt around for a doorknob. Upon not finding one, she asked, "Where's the door?"
Knives smiled menacingly. He opened a dumb waiter shaft.
"Right here," he said.
The cat grabbed the mouse and shoved it into the trap awaiting her. She fell into the dumb waiter completely. Knives shut the shaft door and ran away.
Inside, Aurora screamed as she frantically tried to find the lever to open the door. She finally figured out where it was and unlocked the door and opened it.
When she got out, Aurora felt the walls, trying to find some familiarity in them. They were new to her, and she couldn't figure out where to go, nor could she remember which way she had some. She was lost.
"Knives!" she called out, hoping for assistance. "Joey! Rem!"
She started sobbing now.
"...Vash..."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A/N: For those of you who don't know, a dumb waiter is like a tiny elevator that was used in old hotels and old fancy houses to bring food and other things to higher floors. It is used in Nickelodeon's “Harriet the Spy”.