Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Blind ❯ See Into My Eyes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Actually… I posted this story first on fanfiction.net, so I actually had this all done and should have posted it. I just wanted to know if I would get a response from the public. Indeed I have, so ONWARD MARCH!!

Chapter rating: PG... I guess... it's only language.

Disclaimer: I don't own Trigun, but I DO own Aurora. Take her and you will be hunted down elusively!! *gets pistol*

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------

Love is Blind - Chapter Two - About a year later...

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------

"Aurora . . ." a voice called. "Aurora . . .wake up!"

Aurora sat up in her bed, or at least tried to. She and Vash collided, bonking heads, and each fell backwards. Vash quickly scrambled up the bed again.

"Gomen nasai, Aurora-Chan!" he cried. "It's just that ... it's a little hard to tell when you're going to get up since your eyes are always closed, even when you're awake!"

"It's alright, Vash-Chan," Aurora replied calmly.

This was what she had been waking up to for about a month now. Vash and Knives surprised everyone when they grew up to look like twelve-year-olds in the short year after they came to the SEED mothership. Aurora found it hard to believe that the small baby that she had held only a year before was now twice her size and came every morning at 7:30 to wake her up. She regretted that the two had grown up so fast, and since she was still blind, she had missed it all.

"Are you going to get up or not?" Vash said with a cheery, patient smile chuckle. He bent over Aurora a little, and his waist-length blond hair glided over her cheek. She giggled.

"Your hair's tickling me," she said, smiling.

"Oh, sorry," Vash said. He blushed a little and got off the bed.

Aurora got dressed by herself, something brought on by months of experience and training, and Vash guided her to the dining hall. Aurora was fully capable of navigating herself to the dining hall (she had memorized which way to go), but it was still comforting for someone to accompany her along the way.

As they neared the dining hall, Aurora could smell the breakfast foods in the distance. Their aromas guided her even more than Vash's hand in hers. Finally, they arrived.

After the door slid open, there were some giggles from the crew. Vash looked at them quizzically.

"What?" he asked.

A woman sitting at the far end of the table laughed and pointed at the children's joined hands.

"Is there something we should know about, Vash?" she said.

Vash had a blush attack and ripped his hand away from Aurora's. Aurora allowed her head to droop slightly, but not enough for anyone to notice. She walked over to the table and sat on the other side of Knives. Vash sat between Rem and Knives, and the meal commenced.

Afterwards, Rem took all three children into the rec room.

Aurora loved being in there. It was one place where all her other senses could go to work. Flowers allowed her to appreciate her useable senses in the sense that she could feel them, smell them, and she tried to eat one once a while ago because she was starving.

Today, Rem decided to teach the boys how to play chess. Aurora felt a little cast aside, but decided to at least sit and listen anyway. She sat on her knees in the grass and listened intently as Rem explained how each piece moved and how to use these moves to their advantage.

"To win this game, it is mandatory to have a strategy," she said. "Never make a meaningless move. Make each move have a purpose, and there's almost no way you can lose."

Then she allowed Vash and Knives to play each other in a game. Knives won. Rem placed her hands together in a small clap and stood up.

"Well then, I think it's time that we pack-"

"Wait!"

Aurora couldn't hold in her desire any longer. She stood up and Rem turned to her.

"What is it Aurora?" she asked.

"I want... I want to try to play," Aurora replied, sheepishly playing with her fingers.

She must sound crazy, asking to play a game that relies highly on seeing, when she's blind. Rem, despite Aurora's request, smiled at her. She turned to Knives.

"You don't mind playing another game against Aurora, do you Knives?" she asked.

"Not at all," Knives replied cheerfully.

Vash looked at his brother. Knives had an evil glint in his eye; not that of a fierce competitor eager for a new challenge, but that of a cat when he is about to pounce on an innocent, unsuspecting mouse. Vash looked back at Aurora, whose face was lit up like a Christmas tree. If she ever opened her eyes, he knew that they would be sparkling as well.

Aurora sat in Vash's place in front of the white pieces, so Knives had the black pieces. Knives moved one of his pawns forward two spaces as quietly as inhumanly possible.

"Hey!" Aurora cried. "White goes first!"

"I am white, though," Knives lied.

"No you're not," Aurora said fiercely. "Vash said he was white and I'M taking over for him, so now I'M white."

Knives glared at her. He moved his pawn back without further question.

"Just because I'm blind doesn't mean I'm dumb."

After this, Aurora said no more. She moved her pawns and Knives moved his.

When Aurora got to her second line of figures, it became complicated because she had to take most of the pieces in her hand and feel them out to try to remind herself what piece it was. Both took each other's pawns and other pieces until Knives only had his knight, a deacon, and his king. Aurora had a pawn, a deacon, her rook, and her king. Suddenly, the game was over.

Before Knives could counter, Aurora said "Checkmate."

He stared at the board. It was all over for him. She had trapped his king in the far left corner. Her rook was about to get him and so was a pawn that was diagonal one square from him. If he moved down, her deacon would come diagonally from across the board and take him.

"Good game Knives," Aurora said cheerfully as she held out her hand for him to shake.

Knives glared back at her with an intense, fierce anger matching that of a swarm of hornets. Vash glanced at him again, confused, as did Rem.

"Knives?"

Knives' features softened as he looked at Aurora. She still sat patiently in the grass. Her smile was still there and her hand still outstretched. He finally shook it gracefully.

"Yeah, good game."

Aurora guided herself back to her room after her little chess match. As she neared where her bedroom door was, she crossed the hall, where she bumped into Steve. She could tell it was him just by bumping into his arm, which was more muscular that everyone else's.

When Aurora bumped into him, Stephen became furious. He threw her against the wall.

"You should look where you're going, you blind little bitch," he said.

Aurora tried to get up and get into her room, but Steve went after her again. He grabbed her by the shoulders tightly so she had no chance of escaping.

"I'll bet you can actually see under those dumb eyelids of yours," he said. Aurora could smell alcohol in his breath. "You just want us all to baby you. C'mon, open your damn eyes!"

Aurora struggled, but in vain. "I prefer not to," she tried to reason with him. "It scares some people to see my eyes."

"Fuck it!" Steve yelled at her. "I'm a man! I can handle whatever shit you dish out to me!"

Aurora reluctantly opened her eyes. They weren't the usual white, but almost a silver color. Steve let go of her and took a step back.

"You're one of those monsters too, aren't you?" he said, laughing nervously.

"Now why don't you just leave me alone, you drunk?!" she screamed at him.

Stephen took a step forward, punched the six year old on the cheek, then left.

That night, at dinner, everyone except Stephen wondered what had happened to Aurora. A big bruise was on her left cheek. It looked as though she had been beaten or something.

"So, what happened?" Joey asked her.

Aurora wanted to tell him everything. About how Stephen never left her, Vash, or Knives alone. Ever. But as she opened her mouth, a cold feeling ran inside of her and down her spine as she swore she could feel Stephen glaring at her with eyes of malice.

"I bumped into something."