Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Meryl's What Should Have Been ❯ What Should've Been ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters of Trigun. I merely use them for my personal enjoyment.
Note: I found this on my computer, I had written it months ago and thought `what the heck' I'll post it and see how it goes.
 
 
Meryl's What Should Have Been…
 
 
One Shot
 
 
The white sheets were haphazardly shoved to the foot of the bed, slipping further at the rhythmic shifting, threatening to spill onto the floor in a mountainous pile.
 
Two moons peered through the bare window, the only illumination in the sultry smelling room, coloring the beads of sweat, along with his collection of scars, bright silver.
 
Her legs were wrapped tight around his lean waist. Her head thrown back, pushing her lower body up against his, deepening each thrust he drove into her.
 
He felt her fingers wind in his blonde hair, now losing its stiff, spiky peaks from the precipitation exuding off their bodies. The moonlight tinted Meryl's almost violet-ebony bob into a shimmering grey.
 
Vash lowered his lips to her small, ample breast, taunting the nipple with his tongue. She arched her back up at his flicking tongue, forcing the whole of it into his mouth.
 
He gently savored it, the taste of her skin salty from her working, perspiring body. He couldn't remember loving the taste of any food, even doughnuts didn't compare, to the flavor of Meryl's aroused flesh.
 
He heard her whimper, a sound dripping with desire as he removed his mouth from her breast and coursed a wet trail of kisses up her throat; her chest rising and falling as she gulped for air under his ever quickening pace.
 
Meryl opened her dark eyes to find herself drowning in his emerald stare. He had told her once before that he longed to see fire for him on her face; she'd yet to disappoint him. She was always swept away whenever they made love…
 
He crushed his mouth to hers, his tongue diving in, engaging hers in a deep, sweet dance. God! If the power to pause time existed, what he wouldn't give to possess it!
 
The need of breath broke their kiss, Meryl again arched her lower back, hips taking the impact of his body as his harden shaft dove further into the center softness of her body. Vash felt a tightening in his lower belly, climax nearing.
 
He tried to subdue the building release. Once he came, he'd be spent for the night…their last night…
 
Nature persisted however, his fluid seed spilling into her small body, spreading internal warmth through her belly. Meryl clung tight to him, her nails embedded into his marred flesh as she yelped at his final, deep push into her.
 
Panting, Vash rolled onto his side, bringing her with him. She nestled into the crook of his arm, cheek pressed against his slick, sweaty chest. She felt him kiss the top of her head, then rest his chin gently on the same spot.
 
She sighed. Why did this day have to come? Why did he have to possess such a strong sense of pride? Why leave her to go search for a dead man…? An unwanted tear slid out the corner of her eye.
 
Meryl remembered the day he had stumbled back into town; an unconscious Knives over his shoulder. She'd been so exhilarated to see him alive she'd been unable to contain her joy, equally unable to deny her love for him. If only she'd said it aloud, maybe it would be different now…
 
“I have to go.”
 
His chin shifted atop her head as he whispered, knowing her mind.
 
“I know.” She gulped down the sob in her throat.
 
He moved lightly, drawing his eyes to her watery gaze. He could hear the throb of his own heart as he stared solemnly at her. More tears slipped from her eyes.
 
Meryl had gradually trudged her way into his soul. Her dogged stubbornness and determination was only a fraction of the allure of the petite insurance girl. Vash found her willingness to help the less fortunate, the way she blushed furiously at confessing a fault, not to mention her huge, tender heart, all part of a priceless package. One he prayed he'd be able to return to.
 
“I'll never forget you, Meryl.”
 
She pressed her forehead against him, avoiding his boring, green eyes. It was unbearable, saying good-bye wasn't something she had wanted to face again.
 
“Shut up.” She whispered hoarsely.
 
His lip lifted into a half smile.
 
“Yes, ma'am.”
 
“Just hold me…” and he tightened his embrace around her, naked flesh against naked flesh.
 
He had never told her he loved her, she knew his reasons and had her own for not doing so; career, travel, the fact that he was Vash the Stampede…tons of reasons not to say it but the biggest was to avoid that small glimmer of hope of a life together that would have built itself into a monumental letdown when this inevitable day came.
 
She had accepted this fact, as he had done, yet her heart knew his. He belonged to her and she to him…
 
“D…do you think…” she began.
 
Again, knowing her as he did, he read her thought process.
 
“I'll try like hell to come back.”
 
She placed several grateful kisses along his now cooling torso. His scars did nothing but enhance the character in this man; the humanoid typhoon. She recalled his worry about women seeing his deformities…what they would think…if they'd show disgust…
 
Meryl had never seen anything so striking in all her life. The heart beating inside the scarred chest, each wound a story of a life and death struggle, was a beauty she didn't think could be measured.
 
As she dozed off, his scent and warmth filled her senses, his now steady, soft breath touched her ear…
 
 
 
The noise of crinkling paper jolted her instantly awake. She shifted slightly to see her hand resting on a note. A lump caught in her throat, shaky fingers opened it as she hauled her still undressed form upright in bed.
 
`Meryl,
 
You've shown me the life I wish to live, a peaceful, settled one. But we both know as long as there is injustice on this planet, it'll never be…'
 
A teardrop splashed onto the `M' in her name, blearing it…
 
`…I want you to know I meant it when I said I'd try to come back to you. But don't put happiness aside by waiting for me. Find someone, I'll understand if you do. I never said I love you, but I need you to know that no other woman has touched me as strongly or deeply as you. You've always accepted me as I was and am. To you I am eternally grateful.
 
May fate cause our paths to cross again.
 
Vash.'
 
 
“I…I love…you…” she stammered through a dry throat, to a letter that couldn't hear her.
 
Her painful, wailing sobs shook the house as the hefty weight of emptiness broke in, shattering her `what should have been'…
 
 
 
Authors Note: I called this story `what should have been' because, so often we let things get in the way of what would truly make us happy. Love makes people happy and not saying it out loud is as good as denying that it exists. I LOVE my readers! Thanks for reading and please review!