True Blood/Southern Vampire Mysteries Fan Fiction ❯ Ooh Rah ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: So, I wanted to give a go at an all-human story. This is based in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, and about a story of survival and of love in times of catastrophe. Let me know what you think.
Chapter 1
SPOV
Tick, tock. It's noon, and everyone sitting in Merlotte's Bar and Grill is in shock. We have all just been sitting here since we saw it on the TV. When ESPN got cut off, and the rednecks went crazy, until we all realized what was going on.
Tick, tock. Nobody knows what to do. Nobody knows what to say. There is just silence, except for the low hum of the TV in the background, and the clock on the wall. I need to go home, to check on Jason. Lord, I hope he doesn't get it in his head thatÉoh, never mind.
"Sam! I need to go!" I yell into the back of the bar. I'm out the door before he even gives me an answer.
On the drive to Jason's house, I don't listen to music. I don't even really think. How am I supposed to? Yeah, I know living here in Bon Temps we don't feel the effects as much as we would if we lived in either New York or Washington D.C., but we still feel affected. This is my country. My home, and those sons of bitches think they can come here, and mess with it. Even with all my anger, though, I don't think I've ever felt this small, or this afraid.
As I pull into the driveway at Jason's house, he runs out the door and grabs me into the biggest hug imaginable.
"Oh, sis. Can you believe it? They attacked us on our own turf. Sookie, I need to do something." Jason is almost in tears. I know after we graduated high school, he had been hoping to enlist in the Marine Corps, but I thought he had outgrown the desire.
"Jason, are you telling me what I think you're telling me?"
"Sook, I have to. It is my duty as an American to protect this country, and those that I love. And right now, Sis, I need to protect you." Jason has such passion in his eyes right now that I can't imagine trying to dissuade him.
"Jase, if this is what you feel is necessary, I will stand behind you one hundred percent. I'll even go to the recruiter with you, if that's what you want."
"Well I wanted to go right now."
And with that, we are off to Shreveport to talk to the Marine Corps recruiter.
It's been three months since we talked to the recruiter, and today is the day that Jason ships off to Parris Island. I watch him get on the Greyhound bus, and know things will never be the same. But I am so proud of him, I feel like I am going to burst! After he had signed on the dotted line, I had been so worried he would change his mind, and not be able to go back on his decision.
"Jase, you know you can't change your mind now, right?" I had asked him on the drive back to Bon Temps. He just looked at me, sort of glassy eyed.
"Yeah, Sook. I know. I just hope I don't regret it before I get on that bus. 'Cause I can't go back."
"I'm proud of you Jase. I love you, and I'll be your biggest cheerleader throughout your whole military career."
As I watch the bus pull out of sight, I think about how much I love my big brother and how proud of him I am.
Tick, tock.Only eighteen weeks to go until I can see my big brother again.
A/N: So what did you guys think? Please leave reviews and what not, and tell me what you would like to see happen in the story.