Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Grapes and Flowers ❯ The Dojo and a Game ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]


"Hello," Budoo said. "Are you the captain of the kendo team? Saionji Kiryuu?"
"Kyouichi." Saionji stood in his kendo gi.
"Oh sorry, so many K's it's confusing," she laughed, giving his abrasiveness the benefit of the doubt.
"Well learn it right before you tick someone off. Now what do you want?"
"I would like to learn kendo. Do you offer beginner sessions?"
"I guess I could."
"Great! What do I need to bring?"
"Nothing right now. We have everything here. You may eventually want to get your own clothes."
"Yeah I think I'll wear my own sweat. So when can we start?"
"When are you free?"
"Anytime after classes. Any day except Wednesday and Sunday."
"Okay....Come after school on Thursday. Be prepared to work hard and for an hour or two."
"Alright. Thank you very much, Kyouichi-sensei," she teased.

--------------------

Budoo and Utena fell onto the bench after an especially exhausting one-on-one b-ball game.
"It's amazing," breathed Budoo, "that you managed to escape your fan club."
"I'm surprised you haven't attracted one of your own yet."
Budoo wiped her neck with a towel. Utena noticed a chain around Budoo it. When she (Budoo) leaned over for her water, the chain slipped out of her shirt.
A rose-crest ring! Where'd you get that?" Utena asked.
"Oh this?" She grabbed the ring. "They sent it to me in the mail. Isn't that where you got yours?"
"No, not at all. Not everyone gets a ring, you know. Only me, you and the student council have them."
"No way!" She sat up. "Well,...how come?"
"They're--" (she scanned the yard for any listeners) "they're special. They let us access the duels."
Budoo puckered her face. "I was hoping you would say they glow in the dark....What duels?"
"These special duels." ("Quit sating things are special.") "They're supposed to bring some kind of 'world revolution.'"
Budoo sat collecting all this. What's so great about me? "Duels." I'll have to fight. How is that going to change the world? What if I lose? What if I win? "Who all's on the student council again?"
"Touga Kiryuu, Saoionji Kyouichi, Juri Arisugawa, and Miki Kaoru.." That's a lot of Japanese.
"And I'll have to fight them?"
"If they challenge you."
"Will they, do you think?"
"No. I don't see why they would. There's nothing to gain by beating you."
"Then..." So confused!
Utena talked with her hand as she explained: "Right now, I'm the Champion. They'd want to challenge me. You know my roommate, Anthy Himemiya? She's the Rose Bride."
"She's married to a rose?"
"No, she's the Champion's fiance."
"That's an entirely inaccurate name because--"
"Okay, that's like so besides the point right now--"
"Well are you going to marry her?"
"No. I do' know.... There's still a lot I don't understand."
"Oh boy," she sighed and stared at the concrete. What have I gotten into?