Vampire Princess Miyu Fan Fiction ❯ Impossible Emotions ❯ Remembered Begining ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The night was a beautiful one, despite the current scenery. Saikawa Cemetery was preternaturally alluring in its own lonesome way as the languid moon continued to shine above in the sky. The light covered everything in the continuous darkness, making the human street lights seem worthless and out of place. Nights like these were rare. No stray shinma were rampant. Miyu sighed lightly as she let herself easily slide downward to sit ponderously on the roof and remembered…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night had been crisp and silent, almost unnaturally so considering the area nestled right beside the sea. But the night had been deep and far gone, so all the mortals rested as was the habit, in their small, non-consequential huts and mats. None expected, or even thought for the slightest moment, that perhaps spirits could, and would, meet and fight before their very homes.

Such blissful ignorance.

"What a small, lonesome country. It is almost not even worth conquering…" a newly arrived western shinma had thought at a first glance. His dark, ebony cloak billowed silently in the wind, his luminescent hair just barely awoken with a few strands alight.

"Don't judge so quickly," I had answered, "Mr. Stray Shinma." My kimono hung limply on my frame. Only my ribbons and tie swayed slightly at the bidding of the element.

"My name is Larva," he had returned unperturbed. "Who are you, little girl, to question a powerful shinma such as myself?"

"I am the Guardian here, Miyu."

"Hmmmm," he had pondered aloud. "I don't think I like your attitude…"

"Nor do I. But I do not like foreign shinma rampant in my domain. Will you return to the darkness quietly?" I already knew the answer, but I just couldn't help asking. I did have to be proper, after all.

"No," he had answered bluntly as he readied himself, sword-like claws flashing, "I will fight you."

"Then as Guardian it is my duty to defeat you." I lit my flame with little regard, and I was almost surprised at his indifference. He was so different. Where so many others would have cringed away, he stood defiant and I could see my own powerful flame clearly reflected in his enthralling crimson eyes.

"I can already see your dead body floating in the sea," he taunted shamelessly, a slight smirk gracing his lips and never quite receding.

"Are you sure it is me you are seeing, and not yourself?" I had returned equally undaunted. No stray shinma, however powerful he may be, could outsmart me with cheap mind tricks.

"Quite." And our battle began.

He had rushed forward with such ferocious speed, I barely had a chance to dodge and send a flame for him. But he, too, was agile and shied away flawlessly. For how long this continued, to this day I can not begin to calculate. Perhaps seconds; perhaps minutes; perhaps hours; perhaps days; perhaps years; it really made no difference. A shinma may fight for so long as it desires without outside interference on a whim. The only recollection of any time at all that returns to me are the wild ocean waves. They lasted as long as our battle, and in the end it may have been them that finished it.

Such beautiful waves. They were pure symmetry, like ripples upon a pond. For a split second, I think a question had risen unbidden to my mind, "Where do the waves begin?"

In that one second, everything was answered. One tremendous wave had risen and fell as quickly as that. Nothing more. I realized, "The wind… The wind is the beginning for the waves. One small push and it begins…. And ends….." With a swift embrace and one small push, he, that foreign western shinma of such speed and strength, Larva, finally met his mark and I felt I would die.

My blood quickly began to drain itself from me, drop by drop, ounce by ounce, and I did the only thing I could: I bit him. My fangs sank deeply into his surprisingly soft skin and I drank and drank. It was the only way I was able to stay afloat in the plunging darkness. And I felt him die, right there in my arms, in our embrace of death. But as his blood now flowed strongly in my veins, so did my immortal blood begin to flow in to him. His arm fell limp and the blood gushed over and into him as his had done into me. Our blood mixed and intermingled as slowly we both healed. My immortality raising us both from the death, and suddenly there was no longer a separate foreign, western shinma Larva and immortal Guardian Miyu. No. Now we were one.

We slowly regained consciousness and I truly looked into his eyes for perhaps the first time. Crimson, like my blood; like his blood. No. That was not correct anymore. Crimson, like our blood. I think he realized this also as he bored himself into my amber eyes. Nothing was secret between us now. We both realized this. We slowly rose in two separate yet united motions away from each other, and a thought struck me.

"The life of a Guardian, if it may indeed be correct to call it such, is a hard, lonesome one," I said honestly while feigning quiet arrogance and superiority in front of this shinma that had just a moment ago killed me. "If ever it becomes too much for me and I wish to break the chains of destiny which so bind me here, I want you to be the one to do it for me. Will you?" My heart seared in my chest. I had bound him against his will to me. If he said no, I would not force this servitude upon him. But if he said yes….

"You know I will stay by your side for as long as you wish…."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And he had. Miyu sighed contentedly again as she softly leaned once more, as she was wont to do, on her servant beside her.

"By my side for as long as I wish….. Forever," she finished with a gentle smile upwards toward Larva and his ivory mask.

"Miyu…"

Hope you enjoyed it. Now read and review.