Vampire Princess Miyu Fan Fiction ❯ Impossible Emotions ❯ Unrealized Possibility ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Since I seem to have forgotten this last time, though I don't really see why I should bother, considering we all know this already….

Disclaimer: I don't own Vampire Princess Miyu (Gee, I didn't know that….)

Chapter 2

Unrealized Possibility

-

Miyu sighed for what seemed the thousandth time that morning in class. Mr. Takashi had been considerate of her past flawless record in his class, so he did not admonish her as he would have done with any other student. Miyu was just far too silent, studious, and perhaps inclusive to ever receive anything but the admiration, or condemnation, of her peers.

Miyu, herself, did not seem to understand her actions, though she honestly gave them little to no thought whatsoever. It could have been last night that had started it. There had been a particularly troublesome shinma in the area, so Miyu had done her duty and gone specifically to find it, and, if the need arose, fight and return it to the darkness. Though it had not been tremendously powerful in comparison to past adversaries, it had been cunning, and thus took half the night to seal away. Yes, maybe the human trait of exhaustion was what was gnawing at her. Though she was the all-powerful Guardian, she was still half human. Larva had nearly had to carry home such was what the battle had cost her. Unfortunately, Chisato neither knew nor cared about such things….

"Miyu, is something wrong with you?" Chisato assaulted as soon as class was dismissed for the day. Miyu was somewhat caught off guard from her perhaps overly-observant friend.

"No," Miyu answered simply, squinting her eyes slightly against the glare of sunlight reflect off Chisato's auburn hair. "Why do you ask?"

"Yeah," Yukari cut in. "What's with the sudden inquisition? Miyu seems just fine to me." Her voice boldly rang out in the school courtyard as the four walked towards the exit. Hisai opted silence in the conversation. She preferred to see where something was going before she bound herself to the topic.

"Well, I mean…" Chisato was slightly crestfallen from Yukari's remark, but she quickly regained heart. "What I mean is, look, all day Miyu has been sighing, looking off into space, day dreaming, and sometimes I'd swear she blushed. Are guys honestly going to tell me that's normal for our Miyu?" she finished incredulously with a pointed finger at Miyu for emphasis.

Miyu's eyes widened in surprise. She had not really bothered to notice or reign in her emotions today, and, looking back on it, it was disturbingly obvious.

"Hey, you're actually right for once, Chisato…" Yukari realized suddenly amazed. "But what does that have to do with anything?" she questioned.

"Don't you get it?" Chisato exclaimed skeptically. "Miyu has a crush…"

"A… crush?" Miyu replied. This struck a chord; Miyu knew it, but why?

"Hmmmm…." Yukari pondered momentarily. "What do you think, being the most logical and level-headed here, Hisai?" The long-haired, brunette girl blushed slightly at the compliment, but soon responded.

"I agree," she replied. "Chisato has come up with a purely logical, albeit compromising, reason behind Miyu's actions."

"Well, there you have it! Even Hisai agrees with me. So…." Chisato lowered her voice for impacting emphasis. "Who is he, Miyu?"

Miyu stopped and stood unnaturally still for what seemed forever, but quite suddenly, once the other had finally given up hope for an answer and were just about to continue forward on the side walk, she spoke.

"To be honest, I don't think that I have a "crush" on anyone." She could give no better answer. Yukari sighed loudly as she walked back a few paces toward the girl just a few weeks ago she had thought of as strange.

"I knew it," she admitted without conviction. "Chisato, you read way too much into things…."

"That or too many romance novels!" remarked Hisai in one of her rare moments of emotional outbursts.

"Or that!" Yukari agreed as all four ran off leaving Chisato in the rear.

"Oh, come on! You guys are just plain mean!" She whined in the background.

But Miyu could not help but wonder at Chisato's observation. She in love?

Preposterous….

-

That night found Miyu standing precariously once more on the roof of Saikawa Cemetery. No new shinma had been sensed by any of the three. Shiina had double-checked. Larva stood masked to the world as his cloak rippled about his form. Miyu could not even claim that animation, her stoic kimono motionless in the small spring breezes.

"Miyu has a crush…"

Why had such an irrelevant statement had such an impact upon her? A shinma in love? Unlikely, if not impossible. Shinma never bothered with such frivolous human emotions. And a Guardian, least among them, had the time for such things.

Yet, somehow that statement had held truth. It had to have. Otherwise her cynicism would not have risen up so quickly to deny it.

"Larva, may I ask you a question?"

"Anything, Miyu," he replied turning slightly to face her. This was important, he could feel it.

"Can a shinma love?"

"Love is human emotion comprised of desire, yearning, caring, adoration, fondness, devotedness, passion, attraction, physical display…." Miyu suddenly cut in.

"Physical display? What is that?" This was a new concept for Miyu. She understood more or less the foundation for the human emotion of love, but this was different: physical display.

Larva pondered this silently beneath his mask. Physical display of "love" was not something he was certain he could describe. He had seen it on occasion, of course, in his daylight hours when he was needed by Miyu as her protector. It was a simple enough action, but no, it could not be described in words.

He slowly removed his mask, reveling for a moment the cool chill upon his face, but he swiftly turned his garnet gaze upon Miyu, and he felt more than heard, a gasp catch in her throat. He gently put his hand on the small of her back, the other softly caressing her head, and he pulled her forward in embrace like no other she had known. He tenderly lifted her chin so her eyes met his.

"What… What are you going to do?" she asked. It seemed pointless now, but she had to know.

"An experiment, nothing more…." And he did something either of them were not quite prepared for: he kissed her.

It was chaste and lingering, as his lips caressed her own. She felt a million flames rise up within her at the unexpected contact. She swiftly encircled his neck with her own arms and let herself fall deep within the unending abyss of his being. She forgot where she ended and he began, she was so intoxicated with him. It seemed almost an eternity before they parted, and it was only hesitantly that they did so.

The air felt thick and foreign within the circle of his embrace. She felt the world could not be more perfect than this. It could have lasted forever, and she would not have noticed. But a call woke them from reverie.

"Miyu!" Shiina cried. "It's a shinma!"

And slowly both she and Larva realized the feelings which had been so overpowered but a moment ago. A shinma was loose. Miyu quickly rose to the occasion as the pair parted from their embrace. Larva swiftly replaced his ivory, emotionless mask. And the three were off to meet their destined opponent.

-

Well, I dearly hope you enjoyed that, so do review.