Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ New Blood ❯ Farewell ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Part Six: Farewell


~




Over the next several days, the rains slipped away, leaving Palas and the Vionne like a bad dream. By the second day, the sun was peeking through the clouds and by the third all was warm and comfortable again. The market was reopened, the harbor was abuzz with airships, and business as usual commenced as it always did in Palas.

The same could not be said about life on the Vionne, of course. Palas had sent what help it could offer and the Alseides had been labeled a success after a few minor modifications to fix the last of the glitches, but neither bit of good news seemed to help the residual gloominess from the events of the days before. The loss of so many good soldiers - whether permanently or temporarily - was felt throughout the teams, even among those not directly affected. Many questioned their own safety after seeing the best of the best suffering wounds inflicted by one of their own. Three Dragonslayers were lost - one permanently - and three more had scars to live with. It was disheartening at best.

Dilandau was the only one who could truly care less. He had his own problems. His team was without him for one thing, but more crucially, he was stuck in bed and getting bored. It was bad enough that Reika had skipped her usual visit to stop in and pester him, now a passing soldier had delivered some rather disappointing news. It all added up to a lot to be said and no one to talk to. Feeling that the only recourse was to take matters into his own hands, Dilandau had had no choice but to summon the only person he truly felt confident in discussing such matters with.

And the stupid git was taking his sweet time getting around to listening.

"Folken!!" Dilandau practically screamed at the door the second he heard those familiar footsteps, "This is your fault!! I'm blaming you and I would like very much to hear your defense for it!!"

The door slid open and the former sorcerer slipped inside, faking pleasantries and ignoring the comments as best as he was able. "It's nice to see you're doing well, Dilandau. Most wouldn't be nearly as energetic so soon after an ordeal such as you went through. It's commendable."

Dilandau seethed, glaring at Folken with all the anger of a child who'd been sentenced to the corner. "You're an idiot, Folken, you know that? Really and truly. A moron. You knew about Gabriel all along! Either you have the IQ of a piscus fruit or you just wanted to see me out of the picture until after the attack on Fanelia! Either way, I'm blaming you for all of this!" One angry hand waved to encompass the bed and, theoretically, the state of the Vionne and all in it. Quite a burden for one to be blamed for. As usual, Folken was ready for it.

"You're being irrational. As always." he settled down into the nearest chair, his cloak rustling about him like a living creature. "I have no more desire to see you out of action than you yourself have. Gabriel was an unforeseen circumstance. He's been removed."

"And you expect me to be happy about that?" Dilandau snorted, kicking out at the foot of the bed in an honest attempt to emphasize his point. "Gabriel may have been the biggest mistake to ever wander into the Dragonslayers, but he was still one of my soldiers."

"True enough." A smirk crossed his face, "I never knew that you cared so much."

"This is my life, Folken. I have to do something about it." He shifted irritatedly under the sheets, scratching at an itch that didn't exist and taking a few breaths to calm himself. All this yelling was starting to hurt anyway. "I never cared, though, so don't kid yourself. I was under the impression that Gabriel was supposed to be something special. Isn't that why you had Alexia protecting him? I know about her. There's a reason I didn't kill her when I had the chance." One crimson eye glinted beneath his unusually mussy bangs. "I'm willing to bet it's the same reason you left her alive as well."

"Gabriel was important, you're exactly right. His death is going to make our mission that much more difficult."

"I'm up to the challenge." Dilandau raised his head arrogantly, then cocked it and one eyebrow, "But why did he go berserk, then? It's not like the sorcerers to leave such a broken link in one of their creations. Especially one you chose. Maybe someone's getting weak." That last statement was matched with a particularly insinuating grin.

Folken scowled at that note of sarcasm. "The matter is being looked into. I don't think they'll find anything of consequence. It was a fluke, nothing more." He smiled back with just as much malice, "I did note that he was particularly interested in having Shesta killed, however. More so than you. You wouldn't know anything about that?"

"I don't even know why he was placed in my troop, Folken." He leaned back against the headboard, still scowling. "I'd bet Dornkirk had his hand in it. There was a reason I was given an extra soldier so late in the game. He knew about Gabriel. If you didn't, he certainly did."

"You're saying Shesta was a counter measure. A way of protecting against what couldn't be stopped. It's an interesting theory. Just a theory, though."

"Well it's either that or we chalk it up to simple fate and leave the matter alone. That would be more your style. Sweep it all under the rug and forget it all ever happened. Just like before, hmm?" he met Folken's disapproving glower and chuckled inwardly, then continued when the silence wasn't broken. "Either way it doesn't matter. It's done and we'll never get any answers out of it. At least, I won't."

Folken shook his head, "I'm no longer a sorcerer, Dilandau. Nothing will come of it."

There was a long pause. Dilandau slumped under the covers, scowling hard. "That's it then. There's nothing more to say. The sorcerers' pride in the Dragonslayers is dead and I can't even take back my control until after its already begun. I'm behind. I hate being behind." He pondered for a moment, gazing distantly at the window. "I wonder if it would even make a difference if you're right about all this. If Gabriel's dead, who's going to lead us to victory? I thought the story was that he was the key. Does this mean we're wasted now?"

"I said the mission would be difficult, not impossible," Folken scoffed, "If you must know, Gabriel wasn't alone. The sorcerers weren't crazy enough to leave only one of their creations behind. We're not lost yet."

Dilandau chuckled and closed his eyes, "Another monster in the pack, then. I'm not surprised somehow. As if they'd ever keep their noses where they belong. That would be asking too much, I suppose. I hate sorcerers."

Folken said nothing. He gave a half hearted nod and rose from his seat, turning to the door with full intent of returning to his work. There was a lot more of it now that this foray was over and Dilandau seemed to be done talking. It was all well and good. The boy wasn't much of a conversationalist when it came right down to it. Much too selfish to be of interest…

"Folken?"

He sighed, brushing the door panel and making his way to the edge of the threshold. "I'm leaving, Dilandau."

"Fine." A rustle of the covers failed to significantly attract Folken's attention. "Do me a favor."

"What?"

"If you ever find out who that backup puppet is, I never ever want you to tell me."

"Granted. Goodbye, Dilandau. I dare to say pleasant dreams."

"Not bloody likely."

"Suit yourself." With that, the door slid shut and Folken was gone.

Dilandau took the time to make a particularly gruesome face at the closed door, then settled down to sleep, defiantly daring his subconscious to come up with a single pleasant dream. As expected, it did anyway.

~

Alexia crouched in the cushioned chair, one leg dangling limply from the edge while the rest of her remained taught as a bowstring. Clear brilliant starlight cast a halo around her, turning her weary face to nothing more than a silhouette. For three days she'd stayed in the small room in the infirmary, alone, tending to Shesta to keep her hands busy and fighting to keep her mind sane. Stray thoughts still invaded the chaos, freezing her with one emotion or another. She'd finally simply broken down and let it all come. She had only been glad that no one had seen her.

Now there were only the faintest sounds of life around her. Her tears had dried, her emotions had calmed, and now she could breathe. It helped tremendously to know that someone was depending on her. Shesta was sleeping the sleep of healing. He needed her at his side more than he ever could have when he was awake.

She considered it restitution for her failures even if she couldn't shake the misery of knowing that it was another failure in itself. Falling in love had led to her brother's death, her failure, and Shesta's current state. The other Dragonslayers blamed the sorcerers, they blamed Gabriel himself, a few blamed Dilandau for not seeing it, but Alexia knew the truth. Everything had been her fault. She alone had had the power to stop it all, she alone had known the truth, and she alone had failed.

Listlessly, her eyes shifted to focus on the poor boy's ashen face. He would live, but he had a long road to recovery ahead of him. She hoped to be there for as much as she could, but the truth was staring her grimly down. She couldn't remain with him, not after the pain she'd caused, not after her loss. It would be too hard for all of them in the long run, and in a way it would be unfair to her brother. It was a strange feeling. Many people, she knew, would have seen Gabriel's death as a release. He had been binding in life and without his physical presence some would have moved on, lived life, and continued as if he had never been. To Alexia, he'd bound her in life only with his need for her protection and, having failed that, he bound her in death. She knew more than ever that she couldn't remain near Shesta. Gabriel had hated the thought, had died because of it. She hadn't respected it then but now her choice was clear. She owed it to her brother.

There was Dallet to consider beyond that, of course, although he only made her decision that much more difficult. She hadn't seen him since he'd walked away, but his expression was still etched as clear as crystal in her mind. It nearly broke her heart to know what she'd put him through. She hadn't thought that he'd ever know her true feelings, that he'd deviate from the plan to save Gabriel. It was only in retrospect that she saw the naiveté of that hope. It had been improbable, impossible. So many were against her brother and Dallet was loyal to Zaibach above all. He couldn't have done what she asked. What he had done was what was necessary. He'd tried to spare her the worst without understanding the consequences of his actions. Shesta's life was a gift to her, but it didn't come without a price. She had no choice but to leave the boy unknowing and, in turn, to leave Dallet - her one true friend in all of her life - behind. Perhaps forever. She hoped it wouldn't have to go that far, but hope was against her. She didn't have a choice anymore.

A soft sigh slipped out, barely a fraction of the emotion beneath her skin. She reached out her hand and stroked Shesta's hair, wondering if he could feel it. His bandages would need changing before long…

In an instant, she'd drawn back as if burned. For the first time in hours, a quiet mumble of sound escaped Shesta's lips. It was the equivalent of a miracle this early in his recovery, but he shifted, lifting his head toward her hand, and slowly opened his eyes. Alexia found that she was holding her breath, not daring to move. He was staring up at the ceiling, unfocused, confused. She was vaguely terrified. She had no idea what she could say to him yet. It would be so easy to do more harm then good…

He blinked once, closed his eyes for long seconds, then blinked them open again, his breath halting as he recognized his injuries. Slowly but surely he was coming back to clarity until at once his eyes flicked and met hers. He breathed quietly, his expression a steady frozen uncertainty. She stared back, trying to smile but finding herself unable. The moments seemed to take forever.

As the silence invaded, it came to Shesta's attention that the best thing he could do was clarify the reality of the situation. In all experience, there was only one way to do that. He swallowed finally, wet his lips, and spoke. It was simple, it was ragged, and it was a relief. "Ow."

Despite herself Alexia found the will to smile. "Hello, Shesta. It's nice to see you awake. I was worried you wouldn't wake up."

He nodded, then winced, "Hi." He coughed and waited until he could talk again. "I'm alive then, aren't I? I thought I was dead. When I could think, that is. I didn't expect to see you when I woke up."

She leaned back. "I volunteered. I had to."

Shesta considered the statement, taking the time to try and get comfortable. It didn't work. His arm barely felt like it was there, only making its presence known when he moved it and then it was cursing at him. "I don't understand, but I suppose… gah…that's normal. How long has it been?"
"Three days. Almost four. You missed your own birthday."

"Oh." His green eyes met hers then flicked away, staring at something unidentifiable in the corner. He was blinking hard again, slipping back to sleep in the back of his mind. "What happened, anyway? I remember getting stabbed… but that's about all." A look of concern crossed his face. "Is Dilandau okay?"

"He'll be all right."

"Oh. That's good. I was worried…"

"I know."

Silence fell between them. Alexia looked away, turning her attention to the glint of moonlight on the floor. Her left hand fidgeted on the edge of the chair.

"I thought…" Shesta arched his neck, doing his best to look Alexia in the eye but only succeeding in getting a glimpse of her eyelashes behind the veil of her hair. "I thought I saw Gabriel die… It may have been a dream, I don't know…but I thought…" He trailed off as her mouth twitched, deciding too late that bringing up the topic was a bad idea.

She let out a drawn out breath, sweeping loose hair behind her ears harshly enough to make Shesta worry that he'd offended her. When she turned to face him, though, he only saw softness in her expression. "It wasn't a dream."

Shesta shrunk back a bit at the pain in her voice. "I'm sorry… I wasn't sure…"

"It's all right. It's difficult to think of my brother in the past tense, but I'm coming to terms with what happened." A sad, strained smile flickered on the edges of her expression, "You deserve an explanation, though."

"You don't have to."

"I do."

"Especially if it bothers you."

"I want to, Shesta." She stared at him, puzzled.

"I know most of it already."

"But…"

"And I'm kind of tired…"

"Shesta." Her tone was turning hard, but he didn't seem to notice.

"So maybe if you…"

"This is important!" It came out with a snap, cutting both their words into silence. Shesta blinked hard, meeting her gaze with genuine surprise. She fidgeted in her seat, not meeting his gaze for more than an instant. Her fingers dug into the arm of the chair. "I… I'm sorry… That was rude of me."

He sighed and pulled the covers up closer with his good arm, "No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have cut you off like that. You shouldn't hurt yourself on my behalf. That's all I meant."

"I know." She got to her feet, wincing at the crackle of protesting joints, and started across the room, "You're right, though. I should let you sleep. I'm sorry for being so demanding."

Despite himself, Shesta chuckled, "That's ridiculous. You're not demanding. I wouldn't be here if you had been demanding. You're exactly the opposite."

A grateful smile slipped over her face, "Thank you, Shesta." She picked up a kit of medical supplies and strode back to his bedside. "I do want to tell you a few things, though. I'm not sure how much you really do know and I have apologies to make. I'd rather you didn't have this disaster on your mind for the rest of your days. I know it would bother me."

He frowned, "If you want to. I can't guarantee I'll hear it all."

"Try?" She gingerly began to unwrap the bandages around his shoulder.

Shesta winced, "Go ahead."

"All right." She sighed, gathering her thoughts and trying not to hurt her patient. "I suppose you realize that not everything I've said to you is the truth. Gabriel is… was… my brother. He was fate altered."

Shesta gritted his teeth while she cleaned and treated the wound. She was being as gentle as possible, but it still stung. "I figured as much."

"If you ever feel the slightest bit angry with me for lying to you, I understand. It wasn't the most intelligent thing I've ever done. If I had told you, I suppose this whole mess could have been avoided."

"So… ow… So why didn't you?"

She shook her head, turning away for a minute to replace the vial she'd used. "Dallet and I had it planned out. I was afraid that if I told anyone they'd act too quickly or wouldn't listen… I was afraid that I'd get my brother into a worse predicament than he was already in." She paused, silent for a few moments before continuing, "I'm sorry for that first and foremost, I suppose. It was the beginning of a lot of trouble."

Shesta nodded, bracing himself as she turned back to his injuries. "It's not your fault. You made a mistake. It happens."

She laughed, but it was hollow, "You know what I'll say to that. No one ever agrees to being without fault in this kind of a situation. That would be too easy." She took his silence as agreement and continued. "I should never have tried to do this on my own, I know that. I suppose it all boils down to that. No one understood what I was trying to do. Dallet and I have been friends since before the Dragonslayers even existed, but no one else knew that. Gabriel was my brother and that was a careful secret. Even the evidence from the previous incident was concealed. Gabriel held a lot of control over my life, but Dallet was the only one who knew how much in the end. Gabriel's been influencing it since he was taken by Folken, whether I admitted it or not." She fixed the new bandage in place and backed off, settling back into her chair. "That alone should have been enough to keep me away from the Dragonslayers. I know Folken saw it. He wouldn't believe it. He couldn't believe it."

Shesta shifted under the covers, settling himself back into what could pass for a comfortable position. He could feel the sleep prying at his mind already, but did his best to ignore it. For Alexia's sake.

She swung both legs over the arm of the chair, resting her chin on her hand and staring out at the stars. "You can't know how difficult it was seeing him suffer like that for all those years. The sorcerers did such terrible things to him… He lost his resolve and they tried to replace it. They destroyed his mind, his spirit, and replaced it with a monster. Every time he tried to fight back they would beat him down again until he just wouldn't fight anymore. They tamed him like an animal.

"I stayed with him as long as I could because there was no choice. If I turned away I'd never live the memories down. I wanted to help him. I wanted so badly to just save him from his fate. It wasn't his fate. They made it for him without a thought to what it really was." She closed her eyes, pressing her fingers into the bridge of her nose and swallowing hard. "They killed him long ago. I was just trying to cheat his death."

Shesta closed his eyes, keeping his ears open for her next words. The space between dragged on until he nearly lost consciousness anyway. He wondered if perhaps he should have stopped her after all. She was hurting, that much was obvious, and he didn't understand why it was that she was so bent on digging at a fresh wound. It was too bad that it wasn't his place to question. All he could do was listen. It was all that she had asked, after all…

"It wasn't until after I was sent with Gabriel to the Dragonslayers that I found the solution I needed. Dallet came almost as soon as I arrived. He was just like I remembered him. I was grateful for him." She smiled softly, "He saved your life, after all. He didn't have to do that for me…"

"I didn't know you two were so close…" The words were an effort.

"We're not that close. Friends, like I told you before. That, at least, wasn't a lie."

"Hmm…" Shesta turned his head to one side, letting out a slow breath.

Alexia was quiet for a long time, watching Shesta's face. It seemed he was losing the battle against sleep. The poor boy was always losing his battles. They were alike in that, at least.

She reached out, lightly stroking his hair. He didn't stir.

"Then you came." She whispered. "I knew there was something about you from the minute I saw you dashing down the hallways. I feared you at first. You shouldn't have been there and I thought for sure that it was fate falling against me all over again. In a way I was right, wasn't I? Gabriel knew all about you before I even saw you. He was always looking for ways out. Always listening and searching. He found your file long before I did. He knew everything. He wanted you for a pawn." She sighed, "I couldn't let him. You didn't deserve it anymore than he deserved his death."

Shesta muttered something inaudible, his breathing settling into a natural rhythm. Alexia smiled sadly, remembering the last time she'd watched him sleep. She'd been almost ready to give up on him then. It was only when they had spoken in the hangar bay that she'd realized why it was that she couldn't let him go. Despite her earlier fears of him, she had indeed learned to care for him.

Fate was something that couldn't be fought, however. It won out no matter how well it was planned against. Words she meant to say could never be said out loud, even if they were probably already realized. She couldn't stay and say them. She just couldn't.

"I'm so sorry, Shesta." She said finally, backing away, "I'll stay for a little while longer. Just a little while…" A familiar dampness on her cheeks sparked the realization that she was crying again. "I want to stay…" Her hand reached out of its own accord, defying her orders, and before she knew it she'd leaned down and left a kiss on his cheek. It was the last thing she could stand. Without another word and without another thought, she turned for the door.

The passageway was empty when she stepped out into it, leaving the door open behind her. Standing on the threshold she dared to let out a breath, disappointed when it came out as a shaky gasp. She fell back against the wall, one hand over her face, and just stood there. Her throat ached, her heart ached, everything felt wrong. In the end, her common sense was forced to reach a compromise with her emotions. She turned back to the door just long enough to speak four tiny momentous words.

"Shesta… I love you…"

Then she turned her back, set her jaw, and walked away for good. It was the hardest thing she had ever done.

~

The sun rose in a brilliant flash of bloody scarlet, lighting the clouds in hues of violet and bright pink that glittered over the harbor. Alexia missed the most impressive part as she was too busy being passed out on her bed. Even with her emotional turmoil, two nights without a hint of slumber had taken their toll. She slept like the dead without dreaming a thing.

A quiet tap at her door startled her abruptly back to consciousness with a snort. Before she could stop herself, she heard her voice call out a trained, "Come in!" and quickly forced herself up. She was still wearing the semi-skimpy clothes from the day before and they were more than a little rumpled. A pocket stuck out like a tiny white flag at her hip and as usual her hair looked electrified. Not that it mattered at such an early hour…

The door slid open with a whisper and Dallet peered cautiously in, worry and uncertainty etched on his features. "Are you sure its all right if I come in? I'll go if you…"

"Dallet!" Alexia surprised even herself with her enthusiasm and leapt to her feet faster than fatigue and gravity should have allowed. Time and a good few hours sleep, it seemed, could heal most wounds at least temporarily. "No, come in, it's all right. I was hoping I would see you anyway."

"We have to talk, then," he said, relieved. "Good. I was thinking that myself." He stepped in, letting the door close behind him, and walked to his usual seat.

Alexia watched him move with a feeling of embarrassment for her sudden euphoria. He was walking like he was afraid the earth would swallow him at a wrong step. He was like a beaten animal. It wasn't like him at all.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, proving the point all too well, "I wasn't sure if I should bother you. It's been a rough few days I heard and… and… Well, I could understand if you never want to see me again. I… didn't make the best decisions."

Her expression fell abruptly to one of pure pity. "Oh, Dallet, I'm sorry. It's not your fault. What you did was in the interests of the many, not the few. It was the right choice."

"It still feels wrong, Alexia. You're my friend. I never meant to hurt you."

"Oh, I know that, Dallet. Don't think that I don't. I never meant to hurt you, either." She sighed, "I still don't mean to. It's the fact of the matter, though, that I have to. Don't think that I'm not sorry."

He looked up, vague fear creeping in, "What do you mean?"

She winced at his expression, and spat the next words out as regretfully as she could. "I have to go, Dallet. My mission is over. It's time."

"Home?"

"I'm not so sure."

He sat stock still, staring her down without meeting her averted gaze. "What about Shesta?"

She was silent at that, her mouth formed into a thin line. For a moment her eyes wouldn't focus, then she looked away, turning back to the sunset. "That's one of the reasons I can't stay, to tell you the truth. It's too hard to stay near him. I know you meant well, but I can't."

"But…" Dallet got to his feet, a few quick strides taking him to her side, "You can't just walk away from it. You can't just leave him hanging."

"I don't have a choice, Dallet." She turned to face him, meeting his gaze and holding it, "I can't stay here. I shouldn't have to explain this. You know me better than anyone. You know I can't."

For a long moment, Dallet was silent. A small storm of emotions moved behind his eyes, all of it just failing to surface. Inexplicably ashamed, Alexia turned away again, expecting that the next thing she'd hear was him leaving. He had a habit of running from situations he didn't like. It was a mild surprise when he didn't budge.

Instead, he settled down on the bed in a rush, letting out a sigh and whacking his chin into his hand hard enough for it to be heard. "Damn. I should have seen this one coming."

Alexia shrunk a little, ashamed. "Sorry."

"No, no, it's all right. It's your decision. It's your life." He glanced back at her, studying her posture and feeling a little ashamed himself. In a vain attempt to remedy it, he leaned in and gave her a friendly hug. "I can't make you stay."

She buried her face against his arm, "And I'm sorry, for it, Dallet, I really am."

"You should stop apologizing. It's all right. It might not even be forever. I can't leave the Dragonslayers, but when its over I'll find you. It's not forever. I understand."

She smiled, feeling better already. "I can believe that… Thank you, then." She straightened and turned, reciprocating the hug in earnest, "I can believe that. I think.. I think I'm coming back. I'll go home, but I won't stay. I want to be with you all when the last battle comes. I want to help you. And I don't want to walk away from you. Or Shesta. Maybe I'll stay."

"If that's what you want."

She pushed away from him, still smiling, "Yes, I want to. I'll come back. This won't be forever. I promise."

Dallet held her arms for a moment longer, looking her in the eye without saying a word. Finally, he let her go and rose to standing. "I'll hold you to that, Alexia, and I'll do my best to make sure it's true." He cast a glance to the horizon, "Unfortunately, I have to go for now. Dilandau's waiting. I hope we have a chance to say a real goodbye when it's time." He waved with two fingers and started for the door, "See you later."

She nodded, "I'll talk to Folken about the situation this afternoon. See you."

His right hand had barely started for the door panel when its mate decided to drop to his pocket on a whim. He paused as his fingertips brushed against the cold metal he found there. Hesitating at the door, he drew the object out and stared down at it.

"Alexia…"

"Yes?" she looked up, puzzled.

"I… meant to give this to you. I'm sure you'd have more use for it than I would." He turned back, tossing the glittering object across the room so that it landed on the bed where he'd been sitting moments before. He offered a final nod of farewell and slipped out the door, not waiting to see her response to the gift.

Alexia stared after him for a while, then turned her gaze down. Her smile wavered for a second, then regained itself with just a hint of sadness. Glinting up at her was a set of dog tags - dented, scratched, and blackened at the edges - inscribed with her brother's name. She reached out, picking them gingerly from the bed, and held them up to the light. They tinkled faintly in the air, scarlet and violet flashing across their surface.

"Dallet," she whispered, curling the tangible memory into her palm, "Thank you."

~

Through the miracle of modern medical techniques in Zaibach, Shesta was back on his feet in record time. He had decided to remain off duty for a little while longer in order to fully recover, but it was still an utter certainty that he would indeed be present at the coming attack on Fanelia.

Dilandau, on the other hand, was being ordered to stay behind. It would have been a drastic understatement to say that he wasn't pleased about it in the least. While his injuries had been far less life threatening, they were far more extensive and difficult to heal. In Folken's mind, it was already risky sending a psychopath to do a sane man's job. Sending an injured psychopath would have been veritable suicide.

Even Dilandau managed to find the energy to get up and see Reika's team off when the day arrived, however, and that he did with enthusiasm. He demanded the other Dragonslayers join in, gathering a series of muttered curses and groans. It was quite a procession, nonetheless, when the whole troop went marching out. The majority of Reika's Dragonslayers took up the lead while Dilandau's team followed close behind, towing the injured. They passed through the now considerably less crowded hangar bay with a maximum presence, halting at the dock between the Vionne and what was to be Reika's team's new home fortress. Neither group wasted time in going on with the procedure, each team as a whole eager to be away from the other.

Shesta pulled away from Alexia as soon as he was at the nearest railing, leaning heavily on it and making a face.

Alexia smiled, letting him rest for a bit, and glanced back to watch the other Dragonslayers preparing to leave. A handful were already heading over, not caring to give a single backwards glance to Dilandau's troops. It had been a difficult negotiation even after she'd convinced Folken of the need to relocate. She was simply thankful that he'd managed to keep her involvement in the operation a secret, otherwise her fellow Dragonslayers might not have forgiven her.

She watched one girl flash a rather rude gesture to Gatty and nearly grinned. Then again…

She turned back to find Shesta staring at her.

"Something wrong?"

"No, no," he shrugged, turning his attention back to his comrades, "Just… trying to tell myself that I'll probably never see you again. It's all right. I think I have you memorized."

"Oh, Shesta, you little…" She stepped forward without warning, giving him a tight hug that had him fighting the urge to escape. "Shesta, I'm going to miss you."

"Ouch.. careful… me too, Alexia. Maybe I'll run into you again someday, though." He smiled as she backed off, grabbing up the backpack full of her meager belongings in the process, "Good luck, anyway."

"You too."

A few feet away, Reika was busy saying her own farewells. She offered a sweeping bow to Folken, gaining nothing more than a simple nod in return, then turned to Dilandau with a triumphant grin. "Well, it's nice parting, isn't it? Looks like I'm the luckier one after all. I don't have to deal with you anymore, Dilandau."

"Ha. You'll never be lucky as long as you're stuck with yourself. I have a bottle of vino saved especially for when you leave. This is worthy of celebration. Trust me."

"Then we're even. Good. I'd hate to leave a score behind. I might have to come back otherwise."

Dilandau mock shuddered, "I would hope not. Go on, then. You're wasting precious partying minutes. I'll be glad to see the back of you. Hurry it up."

"Farewell and goodbye to you too, you little bugger. Don't get killed on me. I want that honor for myself the next time we meet." With that, she snatched up her own pack and turned to the last of her troops, "Come on then!! We haven't got all day! Kiss them goodbye and lets be on our way already!!"

Several rousing curses greeted her, followed by the tromp of footsteps as the girls thundered past, each glaring at their grinning commander on the way past.

Alexia glanced back, then turned and gave Shesta one last hug and a quick kiss. "Goodbye, then, Shesta. Until next time we meet." She ran off, pausing to say her farewells to Gatty, Guimel, Dallet, and even Dilandau and Folken before hurrying off with the others. Shesta watched her go, one hand resting on his cheek where she'd kissed him and wearing a ridiculously idiotic smile.

As soon as she crossed the threshold, the rest of the Dragonslayers dispersed in a wave of chatter and laughs. Crewmen and low ranking soldiers stayed behind to assist with the take off of the other ship. Before long, it was on its way.

Dallet took Shesta's arm and helped him over to the bay door, the two of them content to stand and watch as a remarkable life was carried off to whatever it was that awaited.

"She was really something." Dallet said after a moment. "I think we're all going to miss her."

Shesta merely nodded, turning his gaze to one of the lower catwalks nearest the entry. Even as the clouds moved in to obscure the view, he imagined he could see her standing there. To his mild surprise and relief, he felt no sorrow at seeing her depart, only a sense of peace. She'd chosen what she wanted and life would go on. The world was finally right again.

"We're going to be late if you two don't hurry up," Gatty interrupted with a grin, "Let's head back. It's over now."

Dallet muttered his agreement and together they turned to follow the others. Even as the sounds of the workers faded to a mere mumble, Shesta couldn't resist casting a single glance back at the fading shadow of Alexia's floating fortress.

"Goodbye, Alexia," he whispered, "Until next we meet…"