Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ When All Is Said And Done ❯ V ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

……………
V
Robin
“A—Amon… What happened to your lip?” Amon looked at Robin.
“I've been hit in the face seven times,” he told her. “This is what happens when the person who did it is weak.” Robin wanted to say something else, but how would she respond to something like that? Amon did that on purpose, didn't he? Always saying things that left Robin speechless enough that he wouldn't be bothered by her. Well, not today. Not after how he apologized to her on Tuesday.
“I was wondering if you would like to…have a drink with me today.”
“Fine.” Robin's eyes grew wide.
“Really?” she asked. Amon looked at her, but didn't say anything. He turned his face back to his screen. “We can go to Harry's, right after we're done here.”
“Fine.” Robin smiled. Was he…finally opening up to her? She was elated on the inside, and wanted to act giddy, but that wouldn't help his impression of her. Instead, she settled with not being able to stop smiling. Amon didn't really pay attention to her after that. They went through their briefing, and Karasuma and Sakaki went on their hunt.
Amon went over to the computers, said something to Michael that surprised him, then walked back over to Robin. He hit the elevator button and they waited in silence for it to arrive. Amon didn't speak as they rode to their floor, as they walked out of the building, on the way to Harry's or on the way inside. He sat down at the counter where he always sat and looked at Robin. Robin was still trying to stop smiling. She turned the conversation back to the cut on his lip.
“So…but it must have been some guy…to hit you seven times.”
“No,” Amon said simply. Robin waited for him to say something else, but he didn't.
“Oh,” she said. “Well, what would you like?”
“Just coffee,” Amon said. “I'll pay.” Robin put her hands up quickly in protest, but Amon shot her a look that made her lower them. Harry came over to them and Robin smiled up at him.
“Well, this is a sight,” Harry said. “Just a plain coffee, then, and an espresso for the lady?”
“Yes, please,” Robin said. Harry gave them his usual warm smile and went back to the bar.
“So what is the purpose of this?” Amon asked. Robin sat her hands in her lap, hunching her shoulders slightly.
“Just…to spend some time together.”
“We spend enough time together inside.”
“That is true,” Robin said. “But that's inside. I want to get to know the Amon outside of all of that.”
“There's no such thing,” Amon said. Robin averted her eyes, feeling uneasy at the fact that he wouldn't break eye contact. He was good at that, staring straight into the eyes of whoever he was talking to. Either that, or they were always down, as if he was busy thinking about something. That's probably what it was. Robin could envision him spending a lot of time thinking.
“Touko told me that…you're a very sweet guy underneath that armor.”
“Touko's full of lies.” There was a faint hint of amusement in his voice, she was sure. It made her smile.
“She was very nice to me yesterday,” Robin said. “She bought me a new pair of shoes…and said something like…they go better with my outfit or something. I don't know. I think they're a little tacky.”
“Why did you let her buy them, then?”
“She insisted, even after I told her I'd probably never wear them. She said…every woman needs an emergency pair of shoes that goes with everything.” Robin shook her head softly. “I really like Touko.”
“She likes you, Robin,” Amon assured. “It's not her fault she was that way towards you.” Robin looked at Amon.
“You think so?” she asked, and he gave her the type of look that said I know so. “I was worried before. I wasn't sure how I angered her, but I know I messed up somewhere.”
“No,” Amon said. “That's not the truth.” Robin smiled on the inside. In his own vague, mysterious way, Amon really knew how to make a gal feel better about herself.
“Thank you.” Harry returned with their coffee and gave Amon a look that Robin didn't know how to perceive. He then gave Robin the same look and walked away. What look was it? Was it a knowing look? That was probably it. Knowing. With a little bit of care thrown in.
Amon leaned over the counter, lifting his shoulders slightly. He hooked the handle of the cup with his pointer finger, but didn't lift it to drink. Robin waited for hers to cool as well. She was in the mood for something sweet and it was getting late. She figured she'd swing by with some doughnuts for Michael before she headed back in. She looked over at Amon and sighed.
“When…I first met you, I was very interested in you,” she said. She knew Amon wouldn't respond, so she continued.
 
Amon
 
“The others…looked up to you, sort of,” she said. Her voice had become slightly hushed. “I would go home and clean and sleep at the same time. Like my habits back home. And…when I went to work, a part of me expected the routine to continue. You became the figure I used to look up to, but you were different.
“You weren't very nice to me and you didn't like me to tag along. You…were different, but in my mind, I made you better. Not with the premise that someone caring lay inside of you, just with the thought that if I imagined you were nice, you would somehow become nice. I'm…not saying it worked, but…I'm glad you're opening up to me now. I'm glad we talked and I'm glad you've come with me here for a drink. I'm glad we're talking more…” Robin stopped and looked down at her espresso.
Amon lifted his cup and sat the rim of it on his lips, tipping it tentatively to test it. It was still very hot. He blew on it gently, and watched the ripples form on the surface. He sipped it, feeling the heat sting the sore on his lip. He winced slightly from the pain, and sat the cup down. Robin was giving him a sympathetic look.
“You should put ice on it,” she told him. “It will stop it from swelling.” Amon didn't respond. He looked around for napkins but there were none. He pressed his fingers to his mouth in an attempt to dry his lips. “Um…Amon?” Amon glanced at her. “Touko says that…you might be attracted to me.” Amon looked at her.
“I told her that,” he said. “I have no reason to lie.”
“She also said that…it's not your attraction to me that's the problem.”
“It's not,” Amon said.
“It's someone else.”
“That is true.”
“Who?” Amon picked up his coffee and tried again. This time, he was more careful and was rewarded with a slightly sweet, but refreshingly bitter taste. He felt oddly pleased with how good it felt going down. He drank a little more and sat it down.
“I have no reason to lie,” he said, turning slightly and looking her in the eye. She must have thought he was going to tell her, for she looked anxious to hear. Amon made an effort to keep his expression blank. “But I also have no reason to disclose information I do not feel the need to.” Robin's eyes grew slightly, then she lowered her head and nodded. She lifted one hand from her lap and held the cup.
“Sorry to have asked.” Amon shook his head slightly, and turned back to the counter.
“Not asking questions will get you nowhere, and that is precisely our problem.”
……………
kaj