Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ When All Is Said And Done ❯ XI ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

……………
XI
Robin
 
“Oh, no…” Robin looked down at her bike as it crawled to a stop. She sighed and placed her feet on the ground. The wind was cool across her skin. It felt good to let the breeze come over her. She took a little time to admire it before getting off of her bike and surveying it.
As usual, she couldn't pinpoint the problem. She pulled out her phone. She hated to bother the hunters about it, but she needed assistance. This was the third time the vespa broke down on her and she was tired of kick starting it just for three minutes of sputtering before it broke down again. She dialed for Michael. He picked up quickly.
“Robin?” he asked.
“I'm stranded again,” she explained. “My bike broke down.”
“I see.”
“Um…could you send someone to help me?”
“But…isn't Haruto with you?” Michael asked.
“No, not anymore. He got a call from Zaizen…to go back to the office.”
“Oh?”
“Yes. And if he went there right after we parted, he should be there by now. Unless he's having as much trouble with his bike as I'm having with mine.”
“I haven't seen him. He might still be out. But hey, I'll send someone to help you, okay?”
“Okay, Michael. Thanks.”
“No problem.” Robin turned her phone off and leaned against her bike. She looked off into the distance at the setting sun. It was beautiful. She left her bike and sat down at the side of the road to study it.
This was what she loved most. Beautiful moments, free and unrestrained, completely natural and by no means an illusion. Why would the sun deceive her? Innocently setting in one land while rising in the next? She watched with open eyes until it was completely gone. The sky had not yet lost its color to the large, heavy, dark blue mass above it, but it was cloudy and the once warming breeze had turned unbearably chilly.
Robin sat and waited for an hour and a half. When it began to drizzle, she hurried beneath an edge in the cliff for cover. She wondered what could be taking whoever Michael called so long. She called Amon just to see if he was out, and if so, would he give her a ride home.
 
Amon
 
Amon slid down the wall and hit the ground hard. He'd tried everything, but nothing would work. He pushed the emergency buttons, the button to open the door, to close it, everything. He even tried to pull the doors apart manually. But he knew that wouldn't work. He needed help. He sat tired and beaten, and growing impatient. He wished to hell that he hadn't have left his cell phone in the car, but he knew that even if he'd brought it, it wouldn't work in the elevator shaft.
Moments later, his communication device rang, startling him. He glanced down at himself, refusing to believe that it was actually working. No one would answer when he called for them, and he'd assumed it might have been malfunctioning. He let his anger dispel, because he then realized that he could ask whoever was paging him to get him out. He reached into his jacket and looked to see who it was. It was Robin.
“What is it?” he asked.
“Hi, Amon. Um…I'm stranded out here and I was wondering if you would swing by and pick me up.”
“I'm stuck in an elevator,” he told her. “Have you called Michael?”
“Yes, and he said he'd send someone, but no one's come yet.”
“Did you try calling him back?” Amon asked.
“No…”
“Call him and tell him you're still out there,” Amon said. “And ask him about helping me out of the middle elevator car.”
“Okay,” Robin said. She hung up. Amon became more patient after that. About three minutes later, he could hear Michael calling for him.
“Amon! You down there!” Amon looked up. The elevator cars were clear all around, except for the doors. Michael was leaning in through the second set of doors looking down at Amon. Relief flooded through Amon, and he took a moment to gaze thankfully at Michael before he stood up.
“It's stuck,” Amon told him. “I can't get it to move.”
“Give me a sec.” Michael moved away. A second later, Sakaki stuck his head out. He looked amused.
“Hey, Amon,” he said. “Stuck in the elevator, huh? Must suck.” Amon gave him a glare.
“At least I've been alone,” he said. “I couldn't bear hearing your mouth all this time.”
“What?” Sakaki asked. “I can't hear you.”
“Just help Michael,” Amon said.
“Oh…help Michael?” Amon shook his head. That boy. Amon's device rang again. He received the page.
“Robin?” he asked. He knew it was from her device, but her screen was dark.
“Amon!” Robin yelled. “I…someone's after me and no one will answer their phones.” Amon heard some commotion and Robin's grunt of effort following it.
“Robin!” he called, his body tensing. “Who is it?”
“I…I don't know. They just showed up and I can't stop them alone. No one will answer, Amon.” Amon looked at Sakaki
“Sakaki, do you have your communication device with you?”
“Yeah,” Sakaki called back.
“Robin's trying to page you, isn't it going through?”
“No…nothing's going on with it.”
“She's in trouble. Have Michael locate her and go get her.”
“I can't. I don't have a key to any of the cars and the boss is out.”
“What about your bike?” Amon asked.
“It won't start,” Sakaki said. “That's why I'm here.”
“Shit.”
“Is she close? I might be able to make it there on foot.” Robin screamed again through the device.
“Amon, please help me! I can't do anything to stop him!”
“I'm trying Robin,” Amon said. He was beginning to panic. “Sakaki, have Michael find out where she is, and see if you can reach her in time.”
“Right.” Sakaki moved away. Michael reappeared moments later with Sakaki.
“We can't find her,” Michael said. “It's like her device isn't working.”
“She's on it right now, talking to me,” Amon said.
“What's going on with her?” Sakaki asked. “Can she tell her surroundings?”
“Robin, do you know where you are?”
“I…I'm where my bike usually breaks down,” Robin said, gasping for air. “I…was pushed down the cliff and they're chasing me. They…they have guns and I can't stop the bullets, Amon…”
“Damnit!” Amon said. “Michael…I'm the only one who can help her. You've got to get the elevator going again!” Michael moved away and Sakaki remained. “Shit…” Amon said again.
“They're after her, aren't they?” Sakaki asked. “This is what they've been planning.”
“Quiet!” Amon demanded.
“You know it is, Amon.”
“You're incriminating yourself,” Amon said.
“Did they think we wouldn't find out?” Sakaki asked. “It's so obvious. None of us can get in touch with her, her vespa just breaks down on her, you're stuck in an elevator, Michael can't leave and he can't locate her, and my bike's broke down, too. This isn't a coincidence. They're after her. They're going to kill her.” The lights in the elevator came on and the elevator moved up. Sakaki moved away from the shaft. Both Sakaki and Michael were standing there when the door opened.
“I'm going to take the main car out to her,” Amon said, stepping out of the elevator. He moved towards the desks and took out a set of keys. He unlocked one of the drawers at the bottom, opened it and removed a small set of keys and a handgun.
“That's…” Michael went to say.
“That's right,” Amon said. “I'm not hunting witches tonight.” Amon moved towards the stairs and Sakaki followed.
“I'll go with you.” Amon stopped and looked at Michael.
“You, too,” he said. Michael looked shocked.
“I'm…not supposed to leave…” he said.
“I'm not leaving you here with that maniac,” Amon said. “You come with me.” Michael nodded, grabbed his laptop and followed them.
……………
kaj