X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Torrent ❯ Situation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: After the events of X-2, the team is still grieving for the loss of Jean but trying to move on at the same time. A new face joins the team helping some members to move on. While other members need help from familiar faces.
 
A/N: Hi. This is my newest story. I've had it sitting around in my head ever since I saw X-2 and haven't had time to put it down on paper until now. It takes place about a year after X2 assuming that X2 took place in around September. And it focuses mainly around Logan, My OC, Rogue, and Scott. I hope you enjoy. Please R&R!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any part of X-men. It all belongs to Marvel.
 
Chapter 1: Situation.
 
Ororo Munroe strode quickly through the empty hallways, which would be full of students in only a month's time. She had one purpose and one destination and she was determined to get an answer.
 
Walking ahead, eyes never wavering, she was quite startled when she heard a `bamf' sound from in front of her followed by a puff of bluish smoke.
 
“Kurt!” she exclaimed, coming to an abrupt halt. “How many times have I told you not to do that?”
 
“Sorry,” he replied, looking down sheepishly.
 
Remembering her mission she walked right around Kurt and resumed her purposeful stride. Kurt decided to tag along and started following her.
 
“Vhat's vrong?” he asked, noticing the determined expression on her face, one that was usually reserved for special X-men missions only.
 
“Nothing,” she replied.
 
“Vhere are you going?” he tried again.
 
She abruptly stopped in front of a door and he turned to see where they were. It was the Professor's office.
 
She knocked twice on the door and waited for an answer.
 
“I need to discuss the teaching situation with the Professor,” she explained.
 
“Teaching situation?” he asked looking confused.
 
She was about to answer him when they heard Professor Xavier say, “Come in.”
 
“You can come in too, if you'd like,” she told Kurt.
 
She pushed open the door and walked in along with Kurt.
 
“Hello Storm, Kurt. What can I do for you today?” Professor X asked cheerfully.
 
“Well we have a little situation, Professor,” Ororo started and the Professor nodded for her to continue. “As you know the new semester starts in less then a month. And we have yet to acquire another teacher to help out with those advanced science classes that we've added to the school's curriculum. None of us except Hank are qualified to teach them and he already has too much work to do.”
 
“Storm, storm. Do not worry. I'm waiting to hear back from someone,” Professor X assured her.
 
“One person!” Ororo exclaimed. Kurt winced at her tone. “What if this person doesn't come?”
 
“Oh she will. Don't worry,” he said vaguely.
 
“Who is she anyway?” she asked.
 
“Her name is Lyss Andrews.”
 
09302384
 
“Hey mom! I'm home,” Lyss called out as she walked in through the front door of her Calgary home.
 
“Alyssa Teresa Andrews! How many times have I told you not to slam the door,” Mrs. Andrews scolded.
 
“Sorry mom,” Lyss said, turning her dark brown eyes down to the floor.
 
“Well come in. Just remember for next time, ok,” her mother reminded, as she walked back into the kitchen with Lyss following.
 
“So how was the doctor's office today, not too busy I hope?” Mrs. Andrews said conversationally.
 
“Nah…not to bad. I'll just be glad when my residency is over,” Lyss replied. “It's a lot of hard work.”
 
“Oh we all know you love it,” her mother said affectionately.
 
“Yeah I guess I do,” Lyss replied, a half smile on her face.
 
Lyss had been helping people ever since she was a little kid, volunteering here and their always giving as much of her time as possible to others. Now, at 23 years old, she knew she wanted to be a doctor, and working hard in school, skipping grades and entering college way early got her to this point, her last few weeks of her residency.
 
Her ultimate sacrifice, though, was her social life. She really didn't have many friends. But she had convinced herself a long time ago that all she needed was her family and her best friend Katie. At least that's what she always had thought.
 
“So what do you plan on doing tonight? It's Friday, you know,” Mrs. Andrew's asked, silently wishing that her daughter would go out and have some fun for a change.
 
“I thought about going over to Katie's for a little bit,” she said as she used her telekinesis to hover an apple off the counter and to her, resulting in a glare from her mother. “Sorry mom. No powers in the kitchen. I remember.”
 
“Well ever since that time at Christmas…” her mother trailed off.
 
“I know, I know, don't remind me,” Lyss groaned. “Amway's, after Katie's I think I'll go to the gym and work out for a bit. And then who knows.”
 
She bit into her apple and waited for her mother's lecture on how life is not all about work.
 
“John called earlier. He wants you to call him back,” her mother started. “He's such a nice young man.”
 
Lyss winced at John's name. The guy was like in love with her or something. He just wouldn't take the hint that she was not interested. And because he was a nice, sweet guy she never had the heart to be very blunt with him.
 
“Uh huh. Well I got to go change,” Lyss said, quickly changing the subject.
 
Her mom just sighed, turning back to the counter. Lyss quickly got out of her chair and was about to exit the kitchen when, “Oh I almost forgot, this letter came in the mail for you today.”
 
Lyss turned back around and took the envelope from her mother. She inspected it closely and found that it was from the Xavier Institute for the Gifted and the Talented. Lyss's heart skipped a beat. She'd been waiting for this letter.
 
“What is it?” Mrs. Andrews asked warily.
 
“It's from Professor Xavier. Remember him, how he helped me all those years ago,” Lyss replied.
 
“Of course I remember him. But why is he contacting you now?” she asked hesitantly.
 
Lyss looked from the envelope to her mother and back again.
 
“I applied for a job to teach at his school,” she replied as she started opening the letter.
 
“What?” her mother exclaimed.
 
“You know how much I want to help people, especially mutants like me. And this was a way for me to do that,” Lyss explained.
 
“But, I thought you wanted to be a doctor. That's why you skipped all those grades and worked so hard,” her mother argued.
 
Lyss unfolded the letter and read it over.
 
“Oh my God!” she exclaimed happily. “I got the job!” She jumped and twirled on spot.
 
“What's the great news?” her brother Jason asked, as he walked into the kitchen.
 
Lyss ran over to her older brother and hugged him, “I got the job!”
 
“That's so awesome!” he said, beaming down at her.
 
“You knew about this?” Mrs. Andrews asked him, sternly.
 
“Yeah I did,” Jason replied.
 
“I've got to phone Professor Xavier right away,” Lyss said excitedly practically hopping out of the room.
 
Mrs. Andrews turned her back to the dishes and started smashing pots and pans together as she worked.
 
“Mom, mom,” Jason said, taking a pot out of her hands. “What's the big deal?”
 
“The big deal is that she is still too young. She doesn't have much experience and the school is a mutant school. She's going to be exposed as a mutant!” Mrs. Andrews replied harshly.
 
“So what, you're saying you're ashamed of her powers?” Jason asked angrily.
 
“Of course not! I'm worried about her. Have you heard what's been happening to some mutants lately? People attack them. Some die. I don't want my baby to get hurt!” She broke down crying and Jason immediately hugged her.
 
“Aww mom, don't worry. Lyss is a big girl. She has full control over her powers, well, except for the premonitions. And you know that she knows a bunch of martial arts. She really can take care of herself,” Jason consoled his mom.
 
“I hope you're right Jason.” She sniffled.
 
0234809482
 
Ok that's it for now. I promise it will get more interesting in the next chapter. This chapter sort of introduced my new character, who's Canadian and from Calgary.
 
Please Review and let me know what you think.