X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Torrent ❯ Coming Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Well I'm back again, with a new chapter of my latest story. I didn't get too much response to the first chapter, but thanks to my one reviewer blony088. I'll continue this story whether I get reviews or not. I really like this one. So I guess I'm kind of writing it for me. Anyways I hope anyone who reads this will review. And I hope you enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own the X-men at all, not one bit.
 
Chapter 2: Coming Home:
 
“What's this meeting about again?” Logan asked gruffly, from where he sat in a leather chair arms crossed over his chest.
 
Logan, Scott, Ororo, Kurt, Bobby, Rogue and Hank- the latest edition to the staff- sat in Professor X's study awaiting news on the new teacher they'd be getting.
 
“As you know there are some courses that we have yet to acquire a teacher for,” The Professor started, noticing Scott turning away to face the window.
 
“I have hired a young woman named Lyss Andrews to take on these classes,” he informed them. “She will also be a qualified medical doctor in a few weeks, so she will also serve as our on staff physician. She is quite capable of teaching and also has many other talents.”
 
“She is a mutant, right?” Rogue asked. “What kind of powers does she have?”
 
“She's telekinetic and also has the power of speeding up and slowing down molecules, essentially freezing or blowing up anything. She can also teleport. All of which she has excellent control over. It's the premonitions that she receives that aren't controllable, often coming at the worst of times,” he explained.
 
“She has so many powers, it's amazing,” Ororo commented.
 
“Yes, well they developed at a very early age, when she was almost 8, which is quite unusual. It took a number of years to help control her powers. At times she'd just move her hands and anything in her path would explode,” he told them.
 
“You sound as if you know her?” Hank inquired.
 
“Yes, I do. She's a hard working, determined young lady,” he replied.
 
“When did she ever have time for a life,” Logan scoffed.
 
“When you have so much responsibility at a young age, you tend to grow up quickly,” Scott answered bitterly.
 
They all looked at him as he silently left the room. Rogue immediately followed him, catching the grimace on Bobby's face before leaving the room.
 
Ever since Jean's death Scott had been very despondent; he didn't really feel like interacting with anyone.
 
Maybe it was because she didn't really know Scott and Jean as a couple as well as the others, or maybe it was because she could sympathize with him. The only one who seemed to help, ever, was Rogue.
 
“Hey!” Rogue grabbed Scott's arm catching up to him down the hall.
 
“What?” he asked a little coldly.
 
“Whoa! Ah just wanted ta see if ya we're ok?” she replied, her accent more prominent because of the hurt in her voice.
 
Scott sighed. He knew that Rogue was only trying to help. And that he shouldn't have snapped at her.
 
“Sorry,” he apologized and started walking again. She quickly hurried to follow, trying to keep up with his long strides. “I'm fine,” he added.
 
“I know you Scott. And I know you might think the Professor is replacing her. But he's just trying to move on and do what's best for the school,” she explained.
 
“Don't you think I know that? It still doesn't change the fact that it hurts,” he exclaimed.
 
He continued walking and stopped in the rec room to see one of the students watching the news.
 
“And in strange occurrences around the world, strange markings have been found around the area of Calgary, Alberta,” the T.V. reporter conveyed.

The screen turned to a picture of a man who looked like a farmer. “Yeah. They look like strange burn markings in the shape of wings. They're huge! All around my farm, they appeared overnight. Destroyed half my crops, they did!” The angry farmer explained.
 
The screen turned back to the reporter, “Scientists have been out to examine the weird phenomenon, but no one knows exactly what they are. One theory is-“
 
The reporter was cut off when the student changed the channel. Spongebob Squarepants voice brought Scott out of his daze.
 
“What do you think they are?” Rogue asked him.
 
He looked down at her, not realizing she had followed him, but replied anyways, “I don't have a clue.”
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
“And you'll phone us as soon as your plane lands, right?”
 
“Yes mom. Don't worry. Everything will be fine,” Lyss reassured her mother.
 
“And you're sure you've packed everything you need? Your toothbrush, are you sure you have it?” her mother fretted.
 
“Come on mom. She's an adult now. I think she can handle everything,” Jason tried to convince their mother.
 
Lyss chuckled. She was glad her mother and brother were there to see her off.
 
“Last call for flight 202, nonstop to New York City.”
 
“That's me mom. I guess I should get going,” Lyss said; suddenly feeling a little sad, trying her hardest not to let the tears that threatened to fall, flow free.
 
“Ok honey. Don't forget to call. And you know you can come back anytime,” her mother sobbed into Lyss's shoulder as they hugged.
 
“I know mom. I'll miss you,” Lyss said, pulling away from her mom, only to be pulled into a hug by her brother.
 
“See ya sis. I hope everything goes well,” her brother added, affectionately.
 
“Bye Jason,” Lyss said. “Don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone.”
 
He laughed and she pulled from his embrace.
 
Bye,” she said one last time, picking up her carry on bag as she started walking toward the gate.
 
She kept walking, turning around once to wave goodbye. Turning back around, she wiped away a few tears that escaped her eyes.
 
“First time away from home?” a female voice asked.
 
Lyss turned towards the voice and found a tall woman- a good 4 or 5 inches taller than herself- with sunglasses on, wearing a dark green bandanna covering her longish red hair, looking at her with a smile on her face.
 
“Yeah it is,” Lyss replied, turning to look back one more time.
 
“I know how you feel,” the woman commented, “I, myself, am finally returning home.”
 
“That's nice,” Lyss said, not knowing what else to say.
 
The woman nodded and walked on ahead of her. Lyss watched as the woman boarded the same plane she was also flying on.
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
That's it. I hope you enjoyed it. More to come soon.
 
Please review.
 
Thanks!