X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Torrent ❯ Insecurities ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hi. Here's the next chapter. I hope you enjoy. And please R&R!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own the X-men.
 
Chapter 5 Insecurities:
 
Lyss was sitting in the lab that afternoon reading a report that Hank had insisted she read. After breakfast he had asked her if she had the time to come take a look at some of the things he was working on. And here she was at 1:00pm still sitting in the lab, alone at the moment. One project Hank had told her about had particularly caught her attention.
 
“I'm trying to decode the X gene,” he had told her. “Sort of figure out if there are particular sequences that code for a certain mutant power.”
 
“So you want to see if two, lets say telekinetic mutants, share the same gene sequences,” she had replied.
 
“Precisely,” he had said, sounding very pleased that she understood what he was saying. He commented on that, and she had told him that genetics was one of her main interests in school, that it was sort of her specialty.
 
Now she sat alone in the lab reading over a report on what he had accomplished so far, sort of to catch her up a bit. She was so engrossed in what she was reading that she didn't hear the swish of the doors to the lab sliding open.
 
“Hey,” she heard a gruff voice say. Lyss was so startled that she dropped the papers she had been holding on the floor in front of her. The next thing she saw was Logan kneeling in front of her picking up the fallen sheets.
 
“Uh…Logan, hi,” she stuttered.
 
Logan looked up into her face and winced. “Sorry about that. I shouldn't have snuck up on you like that.” He noticed her hands were shaking. He took hold of them to still them. “Hey you're shaking. Are you ok?”
 
She laughed nervously and replied, “Yeah I'm fine. Um…my oldest brother, Adam, used to like to sneak up on me when I was little for fun. Guess I never got over that.”
 
“What a brat of a brother,” Logan remarked.
 
“He was only eight and I was five. He grew out of it eventually, but I guess I still don't like it when people surprise me,” she explained.
 
“Oh, I see,” he said offhandedly. Silently he wondered just how she could handle being an X-men when enemies snuck up on them constantly?
 
When he didn't say anything else she removed her hands from his and started sorting through the fallen papers that he had placed on the desk next to her. “So was there something you needed?”
 
He shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Actually I've been sent to kidnap you,” he replied.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Rogue sent me to get you. You missed lunch and she assumed Hank was holding you prisoner. But by the looks of Hank not being here, you really don't need any kidnapping,” he explained.
 
“Is it that late already?” she asked, surprised. He nodded. “Wow, I've been sitting here for half the day.”
 
He suddenly grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. “But I have to finish reading that report,” she protested.
 
“Come on,” he replied, gently guiding her towards the door. “What you need is some lunch and a break.”
 
“But…” she persisted.
 
“No buts.” He pushed her into the elevator.
 
“You didn't even let me take off my lab coat,” she argued.
 
Logan moved behind her and slipped the white coat off her shoulders, draping it over one of his arms. He stood in front of her again. “There,” he announced.
 
She managed a glare right before she started laughing.
 
Logan stood there watching her, taking in how the pink summer dress she wore clung to her body, showing of all her curves. And he had to swallow hard before his gaze went back to her face. That's when he realized that she had stopped laughing and was watching him intently with a smile on her face, in turn.
 
Logan didn't know what it was but something made him feel that they were supposed to be together like this. He felt attached to her. Which was ridiculous, he thought, he had only known her for a few days. How could he feel this way?
 
Just as he was about to ask her what she was doing to him, the elevator doors swished open and Lyss broke their gaze as she stepped out of the elevator.
 
She turned back to him and asked, “Are you coming?”
 
He nodded and stepped out after her, wordlessly following her.
 
11111111111
 
After making lunch for Lyss, Rogue named off all the people who had come to eat in her head and realized there was one person left.
 
She piled a plate high with everything she had made, poured a glass of milk and started for the exit.
 
“Hey,” Bobby said before she could leave. He was sitting in the kitchen just finishing up his own lunch. “Where are you going with that?”
 
“Scott didn't come down for lunch, so I'm…” she trailed off after seeing the look on Bobby's face. “What?”
 
“Whenever it's your turn to make lunch you always insist that everyone come to the kitchen to have it. But…with Scott…why do you have to baby him so much?” Bobby asked angrily.
 
“I don't baby him,” she replied softly, shocked by her boyfriends outburst. “He's my friend. And I care about him.”
 
He didn't say anything to that. He just turned his head to the side not wanting to look at her.
 
“Is that what all this is about? Because I care about him?” Rogue asked, her voice rising in pitch. “Well he's my friend, Bobby, and just because you're insecure doesn't mean I'll abandon him like everyone else did.”
 
Then she stomped out of the kitchen, muttering something about stupid boyfriends, all the way up the stairs towards Scott's office.
 
Rogue was so preoccupied with her `stupid boyfriend' thoughts that she didn't recognize who the person walking her way was until he grabbed her arm and made her stop in the hallway.
 
“Whoa Rogue, hold it.” Scott looked at her angry face. “Wow, if looks could kill…Where are you off to?”
 
She blinked at him a couple of times, some of the anger dissipating from her face. “You didn't come down for lunch and I thought you might be hungry, so I was just bringing you up a little something.”
 
She held up the heaping plate and he commented, “A little, huh?”
 
Rogue looked up at him, confused and obviously a little disoriented. Scott took the plate from her hand and put an arm around her shoulders leading her to his office.
 
Once inside he placed the plate on his desk and took the cup of milk from her hands putting it down too.
 
He looked at her standing there, one arm hanging by her side the other arm grabbing it at the crook of the elbow, looking everywhere but at him. He had to admit that she looked kind of cute all disoriented. Like a lost little puppy, who you just want to hold onto and never let go, he mused.
 
“So…” he started, leaning against the front of his desk. Her eyes darted toward him and then moved to the wall just as quickly. “Want to tell me what's wrong?”
 
Rogue flopped down onto the couch he had against the wall. “Nothings wrong,” she replied stubbornly.
 
“Uh huh. Ok,” he replied, not pressing her for answers. Instead he went around his desk, sat down at his chair and started to eat. He didn't look up not even once, but he knew she was watching him, debating whether to tell him or not.
 
Then suddenly, as he had predicted, she started talking. “It's nothing really. Its just Bobby and you know typical relationship insecurities. He thinks that now that I have some control I'll be jumping every guy I see. And it's not like that. He's the first guy to ever care about me; he accepted me when I couldn't touch and all. But his insecurity is starting to weigh on us and I don't know what to do.” When she finished she took a deep breath and waited for Scott to even comprehend what she just blurted out.
 
Scott looked up at her and stared. For some reason this was not a topic he felt like discussing. And he really wanted to wave it off. But he was her friend, and when he looked at her, seeing that she was desperate for some advice, he couldn't deny her it.
 
“Well it seems to me you should tell him everything you just said to me,” he told her. “Make him understand what his insecurities are doing to you guys. And if that doesn't do the trick then dump him because he isn't worth your time.”
 
She contemplated this for a second and then smiled. Rogue walked around his desk and leaned in to plant a soft kiss on his cheek.
 
If it weren't for the glasses covering his eyes, she would know how surprised her gesture had left him.
 
“Thanks Scott. You're a great friend,” she told him affectionately, before leaving the office.
 
As soon as she was gone he lifted a hand to touch the place her lips had been and smiled, right before her voice came back to him. “You're a great friend.” The smile turned into a frown.
 
2222222222222222222222222
 
Well that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know what you think. And I'll update really soon. I've got like 15 chapter of this already written up, so I won't be losing interest in it anytime soon. I hope you guys won't either.
 
Reviews:
 
Rogue14: Jean? Where's Jean? I don't see any Jean? Lol. I didn't get the email. If you want to try again, that would be nice. But you don't have to. I read you're latest chapter of R is for Revenge. And I can't wait for another. So update as soon as possible.
 
Pyro Lady: You're such a great person; you reviewed every one of my chapters. That was really nice. I love Pyro, especially movie Pyro (Aaron Stanford is such a cutie) but I haven't added him in yet. I might, though. I'm not sure right now. Thanks for the reviews!
 
Lierin: I'm sorry if she seems like a Mary Sue, but not everyone's faults are apparent when you first meet them. I've written about 15 chapters of this already and I can assure you that she's not a Mary Sue. But it's your choice if you want to continue reading it or not. I appreciate the review. Thanks.
 
And thanks to everyone else who reviewed.
 
More to come soon.
 
Next: Lyss and Logan's `dream date.'