X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Torrent ❯ Kiss ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here's the next chapter. I hope you enjoy. Please R&R. Thanks.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own the X-men.
 
Chapter 7:
 
Logan and Lyss had been sitting at there little, corner table for about an hour. So far Lyss had told him all about her life, about her nervous mother, about her father who had died when she was 10 in a car crash. She told him about her older brother Adam, how he liked to torment her when they were kids and how he now had a family of his own. And that she was a proud aunt of a baby niece. She told him about her other older brother Jason, how they were the best of friends. She also told him about her best friend Katie and the rest of her school life. She managed to cram all this information into a span of one hour.
 
But so far it was all about her. Logan hadn't said anything about himself. And every time Lyss asked him a question about his life, he sneakily steered the conversation back to her.
 
Right now she was in the middle of the famous Christmas story.
 
“So I was 12 years old and thought I could do anything, especially control my powers,” she told him. “My whole family was at the table and we had invited my Great Aunt Rose and Uncle Frank for Christmas dinner, who I didn't like much and they didn't seem to like me either. Anyways I decided I was so strong and in control that I could use my telekinesis to serve everyone's food…”
 
“Oh no…don't tell me,” Logan grimaced.
 
“Yep. I had all the plates in the air floating in front of everyone at the same time. Spoons flying here and there, when all of the sudden I got this bad headache and all the plates, spoons and food came crashing down onto everyone's heads.”
 
“I knew it!” Logan exclaimed between laughs.
 
She laughed too. “Needless to say. Aunt Rose and Uncle Frank never visited us again.”
 
“That's hilarious,” Logan commented, still laughing.
 
Lyss sat back, watching him laugh, enjoying the way he looked when he did. She got the feeling that he didn't do it that often. And she hoped that she'd get the chance to change that.
 
Finally when Logan was through laughing he noticed her watching him intently and he wondered at what she was thinking.
 
“What?” he asked a little gruffly, bringing her out of her trance.
 
She blushed. “What? Umm…Oh nothing, just got lost in thought for a second,” she answered quickly.
 
He sat there silently watching her as she looked around. Someone had put a quarter into the jukebox and he heard an old tune start up. It was slow and sensual and all of the sudden he felt like dancing with her, holding her close.
 
“Do you want to dance?” he asked quietly, but firmly.
 
Startled by his question, her wide-eyed gaze focused on him once more and she answered, “Sure.”
 
Logan offered her his hand and she took it as he led her to the area in front of the jukebox where one couple was already dancing.
 
They stood there for a second not quite knowing what to do, as she looked up at him and he looked down on her. After a minute of uncertainty, he placed one of his hands on her waist, just above her hip, and with his other hand he guided one of her arms around his neck and waited for the other one to follow before allowing his hand to settle a top her other hip.
 
Slowly they swayed to the music, staring into each other's eyes before Logan pulled her closer where her head rested just under his chin, closing her eyes.
 
Lyss felt so cherished and protected in his arms, she didn't want the night to end. And ever since it had started all Logan wanted to do was hold her close like he was now. Close enough to feel her body against his own, to smell her scent. She smelled like vanilla and something sweet.
 
All too soon, they heard the song starting to fade out, knowing that when it came to an end they'd have to release their hold on each other.
 
Just as the last note was played they pulled back from each other, arms still around one another and saw that they both had room-lighting smiles on their faces.
 
Another faster song started to play in the background. And just as Logan was about to say something, he felt a tap on his shoulder.
 
He turned around to find a surly looking man standing there. “Mind if I cut in mister?” he said grinning like a fool and leering at Lyss.
 
“Sorry but we're here together,” Logan said curtly, and turned back to Lyss.
 
The man spoke up again, “Can I cut in?”
 
Logan turned back around now angry, “Look bub, I said no!”
 
“I asked nicely,” the man replied just before punching Logan right in the face.
 
Logan heard Lyss gasp as he lunged for the man fighting back. In a blur of movements, the next thing Lyss saw was the man lying on the ground, petrified because of the claws coming out of Logan's knuckles held at his throat.
 
Lyss stared at the claws, puzzled; not hearing a word Logan was saying to the man.
 
Then an instant later the claws were retracting into Logan's hand and he was grabbing her arm.
 
“Let's get out of here, “ he told her, pulling her towards the door. “See you next week Lou,” he called out to the bartender just before stepping out of the bar.
 
Logan was getting out Lyss's helmet and just before he was about to slip it on her she noticed the gash above his eye.
 
“Logan wait…we've got to get that cut cleaned first,” she told him urgently.
 
“What cut?” he asked confused. He touched above his eye and was surprised to see blood on his fingertips. “Oh…just give it a second it will close up by itself.” The he resumed trying to get her to put on the helmet.
 
She pushed his hands away and said, “What?” just as the cut started pulling itself back together again.
 
“How…did…How did you…your mutant powers right?” she figured out.
 
“Yeah, my body regenerates itself,” he told her, leaving out the part that he didn't know exactly how old he was.
 
“Wow. And the umm…claws?” she asked tentatively.
 
He held his arms out to his sides and the claws popped out. “My whole skeleton is covered with this metal,” he almost gritted out, not really wanting to talk about it.
 
She took her index finger and traced down the top of one of his claws. “That's amazing.”
Lyss didn't say anything else. He was grateful to her for not asking how the metal came to be inside him. That was a story he didn't really totally know, and the pieces he did know, he didn't feel like sharing at the moment.
 
Abruptly he retracted his claws and gruffly said, “Ok time to go.”
 
She looked up to meet his eyes and caught the troubled look there but she didn't say anything. She nodded her head and he successfully fastened the helmet on her head.
 
After they were well on their way Lyss couldn't help but think, `Logan, just what other secrets do you have?”
 
~*~*~*~
 
Scott put the papers he had been reading for the past hour on the desk in front of him. He took a deep breath and let it out. He was tired. After Rogue's lunchtime visit that day he had been working non stop, making sure everything was ready for the new school year.
 
He closed his eyes and took off his glasses, rubbing at his tired eyes. He then put them back on, glancing at the time, it was 10:30pm, and decided it was time to call it a night. He walked out of his office and down the stairs intending on going to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat.
 
As he was passing by the rec room he noticed the blue glow of the TV. Curious to see who was still up, he redirected his path and entered the rec room. There he found Rogue curled up on the couch in front of the TV.
 
“Hey,” she greeted, when she noticed him standing in the doorway. She smiled up at him, glad to see him.
 
“Hey,” he replied, taking in her long, sleeveless nightgown.
 
“Come sit down with me. I was just flipping through the channels,” she informed him.
 
“Ok,” he agreed. And when he noticed her picking up her long gloves to put them back on he spoke up. “You don't have to put them on, you've got some control now.”
 
She looked at him as he sat next to her and smiled a grateful smile. “I know. It's just that most people are still more comfortable around me when I have them on.”
 
“I'm fine,” he assured her.
 
She turned in her seat so that she was facing him, bringing her knees up under her nightgown and putting her arms around them.
 
“So did you get a chance to talk to Bobby?” he asked, more out of being polite than actually wanting to know.
 
“No. Before I got a chance to, Professor asked him, Ororo and Kurt to go check something out in Hartford,” she told him.
 
“What's going on in Hartford?” he asked.
 
“You know that report we saw on the news the other day about those strange markings in Calgary. Well it seems the same markings were found there in Hartford too,” she explained.
 
“Hmm…” he contemplated for a second. “Sounds like an alien invasion to me.”
 
Rogue laughed at his joke and Scott added with a grin,” What? I'm serious.”
 
“You're hilarious Scott,” she said. “But seriously, if the professor thinks we need to investigate them then they may be pretty important.”
 
“I know, I know. I was only kidding,” he told her.
 
“Yeah I know. And it's nice to see you make jokes, I haven't heard you make one since like…actually never,” she teased.
 
“I can make jokes,' he replied indignantly.
 
“Oh sure,” she replied, feigning boredom.
 
“Yeah. Try this one. Knock, knock.”
 
“Who's there?” she answered, complacently.
 
“Cantaloupe.”
 
“Cantaloupe who?”
 
“Can't elope tonight, I forgot my ladder,” he paused for a second and then said, “Ok that was really lame. But I've got more.”
 
“No, no,” she protested. “Spare me please!”
 
“But I have a great one-“
 
Rogue covered her ears. “Please no!” she begged.
 
Scott took hold of her bare hands and gently pulled her hands from her ears. “What do I get if I spare your lovely head?” he asked, looking at her, amused.
 
She was taken aback by his offhand compliment and didn't know what to say.
 
“How about…” he answered for her, staring intently at her, “A kiss,” she gasped. “On the cheek of course.”
 
She sat there staring at him contemplating what to do. It was just an innocent kiss on the cheek, no big deal, she thought. But she didn't have to if she didn't want to, was another thought.
 
He had just given up on the idea, turning his head away, when he felt her lips press softly against his cheek, lingering there for a moment.
 
Unfortunately that was the exact moment Logan and Lyss chose to walk into the rec room, witnessing the innocent kiss on the cheek.
 
~(~(~(~(~(~
 
Well there it is. I hope you liked it.
 
Thanks for the encouraging reviews. They really make me happy. And when I'm happy I like to update…
 
Anyways… Next chapter: Lyss has a premonition starring Rogue and Scott.
 
I'll update soon.