Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ My Sanctuary ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Prologue
Terrified. That was the only word that could describe my eternal fear. No other word could compare to the fear welling up within me. A sudden rush of pain, sorrow, anger, and fear came at me all at once. It hit me so fast I almost had no time to react. The pressure of it all at once took its tole on me. At the very next moment I was on my knees, shivering constantly as if I couldn't dare stop. My throat burned with intensity as gallons of red hot blood rushed to the top within me and let out all at once. I stared at my hands, stained with my own blood, the blood that seemed to flow from my mouth, never ending. I was shaken to the bone, where even my heart could feel the intense trembling of my limbs.
"Hisoka! Get yourself together!" Tsuzuki rushed to my side, his hand on my back and the other holding up my chin. "I'm sorry you had to come, but you have to keep yourself together, long enough for us to destroy Muraki for good. Think! If we do, we can live the rest of our immortal lives in peace. I promise, I won't let him hurt you again. I promise, Hisoka. I will protect you." His eyes were watering as much as mine were and then he held me. His chest closely embracing my own, his breath close enough that my ears tingled at its touch. I had never been embrace by Tsuzuki in such an emotional way, yet I was extremely happy. Happy for the moment, but then I was stricken by this...feeling. As soon as this embrace comes to an end, so will we. We may never see each other again. I know already being dead made it almost impossible to die again, but if there was another place after a second death, I was sure we were going there. Something told me that I would never get to embrace Tsuzuki like this again...and it made me tearful. I would never get to confess this feeling that has grown so much over the course of our partnership.
I didn't have long to linger on the thoughts of our demise. Tsuzuki grabbed me by the hand and drew me from the floor. He stood me up gently and told me to follow him into the unfamiliar mansion. I stayed behind him, still fixated on the thought as before. I doubted we would be able rid the world of Muraki for good, but maybe, just maybe we could sustain his power, long enough to arrest him. The only faith assuring me of this was having Tsuzuki so comfortingly squeezing my hand out of his own fear.
"Tsuzuki?" I stuttered beginning to feel his grip tighten with dread. He suddenly stopped, staring at me with those adorable purple eyes of his.
"Is something wrong, Hisoka?" I couldn't dare lie to him, not now, not with that expression.
"I'm actually scared for us...like I will never see you again-"
"Hisoka! Move!" Tsuzuki jerked me all of a sudden as I heard gun fire. I didn't realize how red my face got when Tsuzuki drew me so close to him, yet another time. I could hear his heart racing, as my head was drawn closer into his chest. "Are you alright, Hisoka?"
I blushed again, "Yeah, just a little shaken up."
"That’s good." He smiled at me charmingly and then got up off the floor. "Come on, it seems as though Muraki already knows we're here."
"Very deceptive of you to notice Mr. Tsuzuki, dear. Oh, I was hoping it would be just you and me. But you decided to bring that brat with you today, well we can fix that for good, my love." Before we had a chance to react, Muraki pulled the trigger of his gun.
"Hisoka!" Tsuzuki grabbed my shoulder without hesitation and forced me beneath his sheltering body. I winced, expecting a sharp pain from a silver bullet, but instead received a cool, refreshing drop of liquid. My eyes fluttered open and was greeted by the sight of Tsuzuki on top of me, with a tear in his eye.
"Tsuzuki, why! You know we can't die from some messy bullet!" He smiled, getting off of me only to cry out in pain as he spit out blood.
"I knew this would be different." He gave a struggled cough before collapsing onto the cold, hard floor.
"Baka! Idiot! I can take care of myself!" I yelled shaking his motionless body. After he gave no response, I panicked. "What the hell did you do to him you bastard?!"
He smiled, "Even though this wasn't expected, I can rearrange anything to benefit me."
"What are you talking about!"
He gave me a disturbing smile. "I was hoping he would actually let you get hit, and I would have him all to myself. You see, this is no ordinary bullet, made especially to remove immortal creatures, such as ourselves, from the brink of existence." I quickly returned my attention back to Tsuzuki, who seemed to fade off and on into weakening gray.
"Tsuzuki! Come on, you can survive this. You can survive anything." I was violently shaking his stomach and crying desperately. I feared my previous beliefs were correct. Maybe this was the last time I would be with Tsuzuki. "Tsuzuki! Wake up! Please!" I felt my face burning with pain and sorrow. Why did it have to be like this, why did this have to happen? "Tsuzuki...you bastard! You can't do this to me," I whispered, clenching his shirt tightly in my fist and furiously rubbing my head into his chest. "You can't die because of this bastard! I won't let you leave me!"
"Hisoka...please don't do that," Tsuzuki struggled to say even that, his voice cracking with his last words. "I don't want you to worry about me." His lower lip curved upward, carrying only stray traces of the blood he was coughing up before. I cried more at the sight of him in this state. He looked so vulnerable, so different from my normally invincible savior.
"Why did you do this for me...I don't deserve it. My hands are tainted with other people's blood...my thoughts are corrupted with other people's emotions! I'm not worth saving!"
"Shut up! Damn. You make yourself seem so weak, but you never were. And you're too damn cute for your own good." He smiled painfully and released a deep breath. His eyes slowly shifting off into his head as his muscles loosened.
"Tsuzuki?" There was no reply. I hadn't expected one. The last of his spirit was drifting away. "Tsuzuki!" I said it again, quietly, to whatever was leaving. I thought I could feel its leaving taking place, the way one can feel a small whisper of a breeze at night. Now I was all alone. I felt the lonesomeness, the uncertainty, and a great sadness. This had been the one I loved, the now swiftly cooling man in my arms. But he was simply a body now. I wiped briefly at my eyes, which had filled suddenly with tears. I carefully laid his lifeless body down and faced Muraki, fire burning in my eyes. "Bring him back you bastard! I know you know how, after all you love him too!" I accursedly pointed at him.
He gave a tortured laugh, "Of course I know how, but what would I be getting in return?" He smiled at me wantonly. "You get to live another minute, but only if you want to offer a life for a life."
"What!"
"You say you belong to me and I will bring Tsuzuki back. Of course we will have to make sure you won't have anything to come back to."
"What do you mean?"
"Forgetting Tsuzuki and you ever met, and you will stay with me for eternity."
"What type of deal is that! I lose either way!"
"But wouldn't it be enough to know Tsuzuki is still alive and safe from harm? What do you say Hisoka? Will you belong to me to save him, or be selfish?" I frowned and turned toward Tsuzuki, who's body was fading more quickly than before. Life wasn't worth living if I couldn't live it with Tsuzuki, but I love him too much to let it end this way. My only regret is that I never got to tell him what my feelings toward him really were.
"Alright Muraki, you win."